[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how can text editor take half an hour to compile and install
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: literally shit.png (22 KB, 860x390) Image search: [Google]
literally shit.png
22 KB, 860x390
how can text editor take half an hour to compile and install dependencies, and then take 190 fucking megabytes of my disk space?
>>
>>51715261
>he fell for editors written in html/css/js
>>
how old is your thinkpad?
>>
>>51715261
why do you give a shit about disk space and compilation time?
>>
literally shit
>>
>>51715261
Have u tried using sublime

>>51715364
Compilation time is a valid complaint, an hour and a half is how long x-org and gtk3 took to compile for me, but of course that varies on hardware.
>>
>>51715364
It begs the question of just what exactly of benefit is this supposed to bring a person if one will be learning on this platform as a running process and the developing process as it is heard/"understood" is a mangled proof of concept. I am assuming you understand the relatonship between what your computer outputs and how it "functions" physically ( in that you can possibly hear the hisses, hums and whizzes of the motherboard at work ). If you run a loop, you can hear the processor whirring. If you run a list of commands or a script, you can hear a slight ding, like that old toaster.

Its like choosing words over math but then using the whole word to describe your values and amounts. It makes little sense beyond the means to obfuscation. If there's that much obfuscation going on in a text editor, it might be doing more than displaying text to just you. That or it isnt using pointers or references and is just hogging up all your resources. From the sound of it, though, amd I havent looked at the pic, you might just have some fancy version of emacs and dont understand how much you have to use in that one "text editor".
>>
>>51715437
>Xorg
>one hour and a half
Are you using a Pentium 4?
>>
>>51715261
What benefit(s) do you gain by compiling it yourself? I might do it if there's a noticable improvement in performance (unlikely). Other than that... why?
>>
>>51715833
it's not present in repository
>>
funny because setting up vim and compiling it takes like 30 seconds, you'd be waiting longer for shit to download than actually compiling
>>
>>51715261
Install geany
>>
>>51715261
What editor is that?
>>
Because it isn't a text editor, it's a fucking web browser.
>>
>>51716355
Atom
>>
>>51715261
Yet it is not as effective as vim
>>
>>51717112
Should have called it Ununoctium because of all the bloat.
>>
>>51717187
>>51716267
i use vim as just a basic text editor atm, how do i become efficient with it as i am with sublimetext?
>>
>>51717260
learn the language:
d$ : Delete > End of line
dd : Delete > Line
etc etc etc
try to stay out of insert mode unless you need to input text.
>>
>>51717260

Run "vimtutor"
>>
>>51717290
>using a text editor to input text
pleb
>>
>>51717329
i dont think you understand the point of vim
its to manipulate text as quickly as possible, and to input text when you're supposed to. there's no point in holding backspace to delete a word when you can do three keystrokes and you've deleted it.
>>
>>51717392
>vim
>3 keystrokes to delete a word
fucking inefficient
>>
>>51717415
assuming this is the text and you want to delete "is" and the cursor is at "Vim"
Vim is great faggots

w de || w xx
>>
>>51717392
2 keystrokes
>>
>>51717453
Vim is the Perl of text editors
>>
>>51717459
I am debugging and developing perl code in vim. I loled btw
>>
E M A C S
M
A
C
S

O R
R

B U S T
U
S
T
>>
>>51717260
Vundle, NerdTree, YouCompleteMe, etc etc
>>
>>51717392
I can select words with my keyboard in word and delete them. Doesn't take obscure keys to do
>>
>>51717505
beginners don't need these, only adds to the confusion

>>51717260
stop using ST and use vim, understand how it works, get used to it instead of just dropping it after short use
>>
>>51717583
I select words using mouse
>>
>>51717650
ctrl + arrow keys
shift + arrow keys
ctrl + shift + arrow keys
try it
>>
File: 1413098421044.jpg (552 KB, 2052x1540) Image search: [Google]
1413098421044.jpg
552 KB, 2052x1540
You should have just used emacs.
>>
>>51717496
nice 20th century meme
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.