[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
would an i5-2400 throttle a GTX 970?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 4L_KqOYhkpe.jpg (126 KB, 750x517) Image search: [Google]
4L_KqOYhkpe.jpg
126 KB, 750x517
>>
>Believing in thottling

Good goy
>>
>>51712108
Its the gtx970 thats going to throttle the gtx970 desu senpai
>>
>>51712176
Kek this inb4 gaymes with 4gbvram+
>>
i can't believe that 4 480's could run under any serious load that close together.

anyway your 2400 will likely not get you the crazy fps that a 4 ghz haswell can get, but you'll get ~75% of it in most situations most of the time.

by throttling you meant bottlenecking.
>>
>>51712147
but... it happens. I used to have an FX-4300 with a 780 Ti and wondered why my framerates were so shit with a then-very powerful card. Replaced it with an i7-4790k and everything got much, much better.
>>
>>51712232
Yeah, cause it was really dumb to pair a $600 gpu with a very cheap CPU.

Considering the low performance increase each gen for desktop CPUs, and assuming you have an old rig, its always worth it to invest in a good one.
Mid range GPU is always fine, only retards pay top dollar for the best ones, they're simply not worth it, especially with gsync / freesync monitors now widely available.
>>
>>51712219
they could, they're just loud as everloving fuck, since you need full power from all four blowers
>>
No.
Bottlenecking only happens on ancient CPUs where the CPU can't keep up with the performance of the video card. Your CPU will be the limiting factor in many games, but it won't bottleneck it.
>>
>>51712278

i've never had a blower card but doesn't the blow part itself need to be open to get air for it to work? because i can't see how the top 3 cards can intake any air unless there's some witchcraft i don't know about.

>>51712343

>limiting factor
>not a bottleneck
>>
>>51712108
depends entirely on the software being run. if you want to test load something like msi afterburner with frame rate, gpu load and cpu load monitoring. setting the hardware polling period to a lower value can help you see a little more closely exactly where you minimums and maximums lie. then launch and run the software for a while. after you're done, pause and view the graph. when you see an instance where cpu usage was near maxed that also signified a dip in frame rate and gpu usage, that signifies a cpu bottleneck. it's nearly impossible to build a computer where some non-gpu component will never be the bottleneck 100% of the time, so don't worry about it unless the bottleneck is so severe it's actually making an impact on your using it. a few more things to log that will help you identify problems can be ram and vram usage.
>>
>>51712108
>throttling

Proper term is bottlenecking, but it's likely it will happen.

Also savage pic OP, global warming in one pic.
>>
>>51712359
the thing about blowers is they have lower free-air flow, but a ton of static pressure. Which means they're good at sucking and pushing air through things. you only need a small gap for them to be able to work, though it's true they'll be significantly quieter if you can give them an empty slot between cards. Basically as long as there's a few millimeters of space, the blower will work. They're actually better than top-down cooling if you have a bunch of cards mushed together cheek-by-jowl like that, since they deal with the small intake space better, and exhaust little or none of the heat back into the case.
>>
>>51712463

good stuff anon, thanks.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.