[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pen tread Magical G-2 welcome What's a nice not-super-expensive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 10
File: Stipula_fountain_pen.jpg (350 KB, 3072x2050) Image search: [Google]
Stipula_fountain_pen.jpg
350 KB, 3072x2050
Pen tread

Magical G-2 welcome

What's a nice not-super-expensive pen I can get my mom for xmas?
>>
>>51711881
The lamy safari, Literally the thinkpad of pens
>>
>>51711888
Is exactly what I would get her if she wasn't currently buying one for somebody else as a gift.
>>
>buy a bottle of ink
>open it and have a look inside
>close it immediately
>theres ink on my hand
How does it work? I didn't even change the way I was holding either of them.
>>
>>51711881
I bought a $2 platinum riverie and the pens ink flow was so spotty and scratchy I threw it in the trash and went back to my trusty pentel RSVP.
>>
>>51711932
Magic.

That's why spell scrolls MUST be written using bottle ink or they don't work.

Protip: you get +1 to the enchantment for using a gold nib.
>>
>>51711999
>gold nib
how does this last for more than 5 seconds
>>
File: pilotmetro.jpg (262 KB, 1280x696) Image search: [Google]
pilotmetro.jpg
262 KB, 1280x696
>>51711881
pilot metropoliton

On another note. I'm looking for a pen around $70-$80 for my dad, any suggestions? Looking at a lamy studio since I have a safari and it's been dependable.
>>
File: P_20151205_171550_1.jpg (2 MB, 4012x3072) Image search: [Google]
P_20151205_171550_1.jpg
2 MB, 4012x3072
Government issue
Pretty shitty desu
>>
>>51711999
noice trips
>>
>>51712010
The actual bit that touches the paper is pretty much the same material for all nibs. It's usually an alloy of two or more platinum- group metals (Ru, Rh, Pd, Os, Ir and Pt). The rest of the nib can be gold or stainless steel. The difference is in flex, color and corrosion resistance. The smoothness of the nib depends only on how well the tip is finished and if the tines are properly aligned.
>>
>>51713733
>The difference is in price and dickwaving
Steel nibs can be flexible and gold nibs can be stiff, it has more to do with how they're shaped than what they are made out of. And you can plate a nib in whatever color you want, there's plenty of gold colored steel nibs and silver colored gold nibs. Corrosion resistance is maybe sort of a legitimate difference, but a pretty minor one considering the fact that stainless steel is also really corrosion resistant and pretty much every single modern ink has a reasonably neutral pH and isn't nearly as corrosive as inks used to be. The plastic parts in the feed will probably suffer worse than the nib anyway.

Gold nibs are really pretty silly from a practical perspective, they're usually higher quality only because they get put on nicer more expensive pens than stainless nibs but like you said there's really nothing that makes gold inherently write better than steel.
>>
>>51711881
I used to be a fountain pen head, but over time I just started to get annoyed that going left to right and going up and down feel different.

If you write in standard cursive and try to write a S, near universally you will have it feel in some part if you really pay attention. I'm autistic about this.

Cheap pens have this too, but they are cheaper.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>51711881
Get the roller ball nigga
>>
>>51711881
Wality a.k.a. Airmail 69 ebonite pen. It's cheap at £11.50 delivered in the UK and probably similar in the US and is really interesting.

Eyedropper fill and handmade in india (the nib isn't though) starting with an ebonite rod. accepts #6 nibs.
>>
File: DSCN0243.jpg (93 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0243.jpg
93 KB, 640x480
>>51714048
The acrylic 69T is also cool and a conversation-starter but I couldn't find an place that sells them for a reasonable price so I don't have one.
>>
>>51713826
Gold nibs are going to be more flexible than equivalent steel nibs. It's fucking physics, you trying to justify your steel nibs isn't going to change reality.

Yes, steel nibs are very good. Maybe you don't even want a flexible nib. But gold nibs are going to be more flexible because fucking physics.

>Gold nibs are really pretty silly from a practical perspective
Everything in this thread is silly from a practical perspective. Just carry a cheap Bic and/or a smartphone if you want practical. Fucking hell.
>>
Lamy Safari and Pilot 72G are my favourite workhorses.

Got myself a Visconti Homo Sapiens last year for graduating. Collection of Jinhaos, Sailors and Heros as well but those are really hit and miss.
>>
File: 10290003.jpg (594 KB, 5319x2992) Image search: [Google]
10290003.jpg
594 KB, 5319x2992
Looking at getting a second fountain pen, a specific kind of vintage one that I will use with a more fun colored ink. Information about them is nonexistent but it's just a fountain pen so the important stuff is universal. Lost the bid on one yesterday, since it went much higher than expected, but thankfully a second one appeared. They don't appear too common, so I won't go in details until I win one. Looking forward to it though.
>>
File: Pilot-Metro-dots.jpg (54 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
Pilot-Metro-dots.jpg
54 KB, 500x363
>>51711881
>>51712157
Definitely agree on the pilot metropolitan, just get it off goulet with an ink drop.
>>
>>51714570
>>51711881 (OP)
>>51712157
Also be sure to check out her handwriting or current pens for the right nib sizes or order an extra nib with it, pilot nibs are relatively easy to replace in my experience.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
10 KB, 300x300
Get a multipack of Uniball Micros if she's more interested in writing than ending up with a page which looks like it's been savaged by Ralph Steadman.
>>
>>51711881
What's your upper bound? The Lamy Logo looks pretty nice and will only set you back $40 at Goulet.

No idea how it writes, I haven't bought myself one yet.
>>
File: wm_balppibpsgpm_3560.jpg (172 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
wm_balppibpsgpm_3560.jpg
172 KB, 640x480
Am I the only one who thinks gel pens are overrated?

Having used the Pilot BPS-GP for the longest time then experimenting with a few rollerballs and gels, nothing writes as smoothly. These days I use the Super Grip clicky version. As a bonus it works on waterproof paper unlike water based inks.
>>
>>51715376
Gel ink pens used to be super cool until I used a liquid ink pen.

I'll never go back.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.