[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Asetek Demands AMD Cease Sales of Fury X on Infringement Claims
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8
http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2217-asetek-demands-cessation-of-fury-x-and-waterforce-sales

Can AMD do anything right?
>>
Targetes by a patent troll.
>>
>>51711795
Asetek isn't a patent troll though. Before Asetek, liquid cooling existed, but nobody had marketed an all-in-one solution that could be widely marketable.

Asetek put down a lot of capital and research, back when no other company was willing to risk the potential dead end of trying to make an all-in-one liquid cooling kit, and they for the most part succeeded. They were able to refine their design in coming years and license it to OEMs.

After Corsair popularized it, everyone and their mother started using the same tried and proven design Asetek originally made, yet these guys didn't put ANY research/development into the idea, nor did they get licensed by Asetek.

The AMD Fury uses a modified CoolerMaster all-in-one CLC, and CoolerMaster isn't licensed by Asetek to use that design. By extension, AMD is infringing on Asetek's patent.

That being said, this is how patents are supposed to work. They still, to this day, continue to iterate their design and those improvements make their way to their OEMs.

http://www.asetek.com/

A patent troll is a company that creates the most generic design possible for something mudane, such as a D-pad, repeatedly tries to patent it until they get it patented, (this is important!) they never actually commercialize a product based on the patent, then sit on the patent for years before trying to sue someone for infringing on the patent for X amount of years.

Asetek's not a patent troll, man. They got a patent fair and square and have been pretty good about licensing to OEMs for a small cut of sales. Everyone else getting in on the CLC business is cutting corners and trying to bypass Asetek's patent the cheap way.
>>
They did the same shit for Swifttech's AIOs too. They need to give it up.
>>
They demand that sales of Gigabyte's Waterforce Fury X stop.
>>
>>51711784
Technically they sent one to Gigabyte as well.
>>
>>51712527
Gigabyte don't make a Waterforce Fury X.
Read the article again, carefully this time.
>>
>>51712525
Because Swiftech also infringed on the patent?

Their patent is a CLC kit where (this is important) the pump is integrated into the CPU block.

You can bypass this patent by integrating pump into the radiator instead. Swiftech's trying to get an analagous patent to the one that Asetek holds by shifting some parts around in the CLC kit. This design is non-infringing on Asetek's patent. See pic.

>>51712527
>>51712555
Their legal team will eventually send legal orders to all infringing companies until they license to become Asetek OEMs to continue sales, or make them stop selling.

They, and AMD, could've avoided this entirely by sourcing Corsair CLCs in the Fury series GPUs. Corsair IS an OEM of Asetek and by extension they wouldn't be infringing copyright by going this route.
>>
>>51712623
>>51712501
Do you work for Asetek or something?

>They, and AMD, could've avoided this entirely by sourcing Corsair CLCs in the Fury series GPUs. Corsair IS an OEM of Asetek and by extension they wouldn't be infringing copyright by going this route.

Oh it all makes sense now. Fucking Corsair shills at it again!
>>
File: MCR140-X-INSTALLEDX800[1].jpg (151 KB, 800x765) Image search: [Google]
MCR140-X-INSTALLEDX800[1].jpg
151 KB, 800x765
>>
>>51712623
>amd says fuck this shit.
>divert all fury x chips into fury nano.
i'm good with this.
>>
>>51711784
This isn't on AMD, but every idiot reporter will make it seem that way.

AMD will just migrate to Asetek for their coolers or CM will negotiate with Asetek to get a license.

Either way, it's CM losing footing, not AMD.
>>
>>51712644
No, I regularly watch LinusShillTips.

https://youtu.be/AJkrpKsSRBM?t=57m54s

This was a few months ago. I still remember it, and it struck a chord with me since I had been studying patents in my uni business class at the time, so it was a weird coincidence to me. After I first saw this segment, I actually looked up Asetek's CLC patent and read up more about it.

Thing is, they've been taking a while to go after these other companies because their legal team likely isn't big enough to tackle the 10 new companies that all decided to make CLC kits in the past year or so. If you divide out your legal team, you're more likely to fail to back your cause substantively in court, which would set a precedent for any other patent cases in the future to be make a loss be used against them. So they have to be careful and win each claim, else the cards will turn on their own patent.
>>
So why not also target the R9 295x2 and the hybrid 980 ti?
>>
>>51712784
295x2 used an Asetek pump iirc
>>
File: 295X2_Open.jpg (879 KB, 2500x1525) Image search: [Google]
295X2_Open.jpg
879 KB, 2500x1525
>>51712807
>>51712784
>>
>>51712501
>OMG YOU PUT A PUMP ON A CPU BLOCK
>I PATENTED THIS IDEA, GIB ME MONEY NOW
>I NO PATENT TROLL

this is exaclty what a patent troll is and why patents are a cancer.
>>
>>51712501
>there are actual paid shills posting on /g/ right now
>>
>>51712829
but they actually built and sold the things they patented
>>
>>51712825
Such a sexy card. I want it.
>>
>>51712842
Dude, I'm just a regular guy on the internet with nothing to do with Asetek. I watched a Linus Shill Tips video and agreed with his point.

What the fuck is the point of creating a patent if you do not ever legally defend the patent in court? The patent by conception is a tool to be used in the court of law to substantiate one side's claim on who dun it first.

Asetek has that patent. CoolerMaster doesn't.

That's exactly why Asetek is going after CoolerMaster, and therefore why AMD's Fury is also affected.

It has nothing to do with shilling, it's about being fucking educated about how the fucking patent system works and doing your own research on who owns what patent.
>>
>>51712916
>how the fucking patent system works and doing your own research on who owns what patent.

We know how it works, it doesn't mean it's right. The patent system is fucked to hell.
>>
>>51712829
>A company using a patent to defend their claim in court that they created this product first is a patent troll.

I'm not saying anything about whether the patent system as it exists today is good or bad (IMO, it could be seriously improved) but this is how the fucking patent system works today and Asetek has full legal right to sue CoolerMaster for damages for infringing on their copyright.
>>
>>51712858
And Apple patented and made black rectangles with app icons on a screen, but that doesn't make their actions any less trollish. There's a line between specific intellectual innovations that need protection and being the first to claim a generic industry wide advancement.

But I guess this subjective element is the basis of all patent law and current legal issues.
>>
>>51712964
You do realize that to make an idea come into fruitiion, for example a modular hydroponic vegetable growing system to replace traditional farms, you gotta spend a shitload of initial capital and take huge business risks on the HOPE that your idea pays off, and is marketable, and that farms will build multifloor warehouses to store tons of vertical layers of hydroponically grown vegetables to make your idea profitable.

After you spend that capital and you start making some dough back on your first year, let's say a competitor comes out of nowhere, like Apple, and redesigns the shit your made and makes it better than what you had (since they had access to more talented engineers to dissect your product and see where it could be improved), they had more capital they could invest (because as a startup you had nothing), and then farmers buy their Apple(tm) branded system rather than yours, before you ever got to pay off the capital needed to invest in your idea to begin with!

The patent system DOES have its merits. It can protect an innovative start up company from an established company with more capital and resources from WIPING you off the face of the planet before you can repay your debts. It also has a lot of demerits.

I wouldn't personally consider Asetek's patent usage here to be trolly in the slightest.

Asetek asked CoolerMaster for a <10% royalty on every CLC they sold. That's not that bad. CoolerMaster sold their shit anyways despite not licensing it from Asetek. They got sued once, and Asetek win, and CoolerMaster had to pay even more in royalties. They appealed and LOST AGAIN, now having to pay 25% in royalties.

If CoolerMaster just became a licensed OEM, they wouldn't be in this shit.
>>
>>51712948
Asetek is defending a patent on a mechanical device.
By all means they are using the patent system the way it was originally intended to be used for.
In what way is that "fucked to hell"?

I could see software patents being something that the patent system wasn't designed to handle, but this is not anything close to software.

There is nothing ethically wrong with this lawsuit.
>>
>>51712501
>a water cooling solution basically requires three components; a block, a pump and a reservoir
>you're allowed to patent the location of these components
That's grade A bullshit.
>>
>>51713120

it's partly against amd so there will be millions a butthurt shills whining about it cause that's half of /g/
>>
>>51713213
Have you actually read the patent? There's far more to it than that.
>>
>>51713226
The patent system being fucked isn't really a controversial opinion.
>>
>>51713213

not really. there's a lot of mechanical devices that have few parts that have been patented in many formats. the fact that they managed to combine two parts in one makes it a legitimate advancement in technology therefore they were awarded a patent for it. no one is going to win a patent for the three part system as it sits in pieces. i'd imagine if its not been done ekwb would like to patent the radiator waterpump integration. there's legitimacy in it, they didn't go out and buy a patent to troll people with, they spent months and years of time and loads of cash developing a new way of doing things and want to prevent people from now doing the same without their credit and due.

it's fucking business.
>>
>>51713268

how /g/ thinks: everything should be free and open source/trade and there should be no rewards and benefits for innovation in the world.

the real implications: nothing new gets made anymore.
>>
>>51713306
>nothing new gets made anymore.

ok bud if you say so
>>
>>51711784
>retarded company threatens to sue essentially 1/2 the modern enthusiast sector over a common design element
Yeah good luck with faggots
>>
>>51713213
As another anon said, there's way more to it than that.

But the protectionary loophole could be that you moved the pump to the radiator, and therefore my design != Asetek's patent, and if your legal team could defend that, you may be able to avoid paying royalties to Asetek.

But then you have to consider whether you want to pay lawyers a shitload of money in an inevitable case against Asetek, or just pay small royalties on each CLC you sell.

The classic win against a patent case is to point out how your design is significantly different. Given that a CLC has a set array of components, the logical way to change it up is to move parts around to say that your device is different from Asetek's patent.
>>
>>51713321
Asetek's actually won every single case so far.

They've won against CoolIt.
They've won against Swiftech.
They've won against CoolerMaster TWICE.

It's not about luck, bro. They hold the fucking patent and everyone else played copycat to also get into the CLC business.

They could've just paid a small royalty to avoid the inevitable legal loss they'll face against Asetek for as long as Asetek holds that patent.
>>
>>51713318
if you have no recourse for protecting a product you made from being copied and sold by major companies who can do it cheaper and faster than you there is absolutely NO benefit in innovating. same with large companies, what's the point of making if you can't protect your products, why bother? business can't operate on hugs and for the betterment of humanity alone, people have to pay bills and get fed. communism doesn't work in business or society.
>>
>>51713328
You don't need to move shit.

Slightly change the pump design to accommodate a different fluid type. It's impossible for asetek to have gotten a patent so generic they didn't specify a type of pump and fluid, otherwise they are now the owners of a patent that applies to '[hot thing] cooled by [fluid] which is moved by [pump] to a [heat exchanger] and cooled with [air flow]'.
Fuck going after coolermaster, sue the energy companies for stealing your design to make nuclear reactors.
>>
Now here is someone really buttblasted.
>>
>>51713342
Feel free to explain why you think it's a small royalty and why you think they would be allowed to do this in the first place.

Stock sucking their dick and think that maybe they're a greedy jew company out to make money, and therefore their royalty is expensive as fuck and select to ensure a monopoly.

Now stop to think that the entire patent is suspect as fuck. It's either too generic or specific enough that any of those companies should have easily won.
>>
>>51713386
Feel free to explain your OPINION and substantiate why YOU think it's right.

I've already done enough on my end. Not getting baited to talk to myself in this thread.
>>
>>51713386
would it have mattered if the company was smaller? or are you just completely anti property rights? might i suggest a migration to north korea if so?
>>
>>51712501
holy shit, this is the stupidest shill post I've seen in years.

all-in-one solutions MOST DEFINITELY existed long before Asetek started selling their AIO products.
>>
But doesnt AMD just build the bare card and all the coolers and shit gets slapped on by other manufacturers, cooler master in that case?
>>
>>51712501
>Asetek isn't a patent troll though. Before Asetek, liquid cooling existed, but nobody had marketed an all-in-one solution that could be widely marketable.

That means, there is no basis on copyright.

Good job on proving that they are patent trolls.
>>
>>51712501
the jew is strong in this one
>>
>>51713475
But because they're sourcing CoolerMaster (a company that has lost twice in court to Asetek) AMD is affected by the infringement.

AMD can, however, source their pumps from an Asetek OEM (such as NZXT or Corsair) to avoid any further complications, but they still owe royalties for every card sold that had a CoolerMaster CLC in it, depending on the court mandated start-date.

That royalty is calculated not from CoolerMaster selling the CLCs to AMD, but AMD selling the CLC equipped cards to the end consumer. It was an AMD branded card, so AMD's at loss.
>>
>>51713226
it's not anywhere close to against AMD. They're getting fucked because CM is getting fucked HARD.

Best worst case scenario: CM gets a license, pays royalties out the ass. AMD's AIO cooler cards stay the same price. CM's stock drops.

Worst worst case scenario: exact same thing except AMD's AIO cooler cards go up in price.

Best case scenario: AMD goes straight to Asetek for their coolers. Price goes down since they're now technically an OEM distributor.
>>
>>51713484
Let's say someone decided to make an IRL diamond pickaxe. It was one of a kind, they never bothered after that to try to make it marketable.

A company steps forward and actually tries to make that marketable. They create a new process where they can make a mold of a pickaxe head and compress carbon to create a diamond pickaxe head, before attaching the shaft to the pick head.

The company can still patent the diamond pickaxe.

Just because "watercooling" and "radiator technology" existed before doesn't mean that your novel idea of marketing a low cost all-in-one kit cannot be patented.

You're fucking stupid and you have literally no idea how the patent office works and what is considered by the patent office to be "non obvious"
>>
Why the fuck should AMD do anything. It was Cooler Master that infringed on their patent, not AMD. Tell Asetek to get bent.
>>
>>51713461
WHERE TF IS YOUR CITATION FAGGOT
>>
>>51712501
Based on current laws if what you say is true, then I dont have any issue with them just fucking their shit up.

but, 'intellectual property' is utter bullshit and would have been laughed at during early America. It only hurts the consumer and society as a whole as it stunts innovation and technological progress. It is just anti-capitalist. I dont give a shit if some other company took your idea after time and money investment. improve it to attract consumers, and do everything in your power to prevent them from reproducing it easily.
>>
>>51712651
Fug that one is ugly. Preferred their older, plain design that looks like the EK Predator
>>
>>51711784
You should have bought a 970.

>faster when oced
>using less watts
>perfect drivers
>better frametimes
>>
File: hue_hue_hue.png (98 KB, 955x957) Image search: [Google]
hue_hue_hue.png
98 KB, 955x957
>>51713591
>>
IT'S OVER, AMD IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT
>>
amd is safe, when you own a patent you have to demonstrate your ability to protect your patent
other manufacturers made the same systems, and they sat on their hands

easy dismissal

you're not allowed to ignore the "little guys" and wait for the "big fish" to finally express interest in protecting your patent
>>
>>51713701
Read: >>51713342

Their legal team is not large enough to start prosecuting 10 or more CLC companies that are producing CLCs outside of the OEM agreement they have for distributors.
>>
>>51711784
It's over.
>>
File: anonymous man.jpg (47 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
anonymous man.jpg
47 KB, 501x585
>>51712916
>Dude, I'm just a regular guy on the internet with nothing to do with Asetek
>>
>>51712964
>And Apple patented and made black rectangles with app icons on a screen
they never did
>>
>>51712713
Or amd releases air cooled fury x
>>
>>51714445
They already did, the R9 Nano, and it throttles like hell.
>>
>>51714605
Are you sure?
>>
ITT: edgelords who have never worked in business
>>
>>51714605
Except you're a retard, the nano doesn't throttle at all, and the air-cooled fury x is called the fucking fury.

>>51713516
Actual best case scenario: AMD tell them to go fuck themselves and sick a 20 strong lawyer team upon them, removing this retarded patent and therefore making CLC cheaper for the entire world.

Everybody wins.
>>
>>51714637
IYP: AMD shills running out of canned responses.
>>
>>51714657
according to the idiots in this thread if you invent a better version of something that already exists you shouldn't be able to patent it
>>
File: 01-Clock-Rate_w_755[1].png (234 KB, 755x687) Image search: [Google]
01-Clock-Rate_w_755[1].png
234 KB, 755x687
>>51714656
It's throttled stock from AMD, it's not the full GPU by definition. It also has a stay under 75C target temp and a 85C never exceed temp, which is easily obtainable in an ITX case, which AMD advertises the Nano as an ITX card.

You rarely see the 1000mhz advertized speed.
>>
>>51714861
Dynamically adjusting clock speed to maintain below a certain core temp is nothing new. nvidia has been doing it for a while now.
>>
ITT: AMD DINDU NUFFIN
>>
>>51711784
I doubt they knew coolermaster would be sued

they'll either firesale the cards to get rid of them, or spend the money to refit them with air coolers from the normal Fury cards
>>
>>51714861
All you need to do is give it proper airflow and play with the clock controls
>>
>>51715059
Yeah but it didn't involve neutering the card, both GPU wise and VRM wise.
>>
File: amd fury sapphire.jpg (34 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
amd fury sapphire.jpg
34 KB, 678x451
Fuck this board is full of Nvidia shills, AMD got fucked over by a patent troll you retards.

Plus AMD have n air cooler version, the Fury which benchmarks nearly as well as the Fury X
>>
File: amd fury sapphire 1.jpg (125 KB, 735x712) Image search: [Google]
amd fury sapphire 1.jpg
125 KB, 735x712
>>51715312

See
>>
>>51715312
That's what they get for cutting corners and going with coolermaster for cheaper CLCs.
Top KEK
>>
>>51715334
>1311 980 ti
>"oc"
>>
ITT: Nvidiots who can't into law
Coolermaster is the one infringing patents. If AMD has to stop selling Fury X's, then Coolermaster is liable for AMD's lost profit.
Asetek also sent C&D letters to Nvidia board makers.

Either this will be settled or AMD will just drop their Fury X and sell Fiji XT to AIB makers.
>>
>>51716027
No they aren't. And nobody wants a Fury x anyways so it's selling like shit.
>>
>>51716065
AIB makers could just drop Fiji XT straight into their Fury cards and sell them for way under $600. Probably $550.

This will be settled out of court anyway, because Coolermaster would lose way too much money if they had to pay AMD for damages.
>>
>>51712501
>Asetek isn't a patent troll though.
That's ALL they are currently. They don't even release new products. Their income is literally from patents. And those patents are so fucking vague and general that they shouldn't have been granted.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.