[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was your first Linux distribution, and what was the experience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: appsmenufedora4.png (215 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
appsmenufedora4.png
215 KB, 1024x768
What was your first Linux distribution, and what was the experience like?

Pic related, mine was Fedora Core 4. I wiped my computer and installed it over Windows, completely ignoring the fact that I had no Windows discs to get back to it if I needed to. I spent half a year on it before my mom took the computer back to the IT guy at her work who put Windows back on.
>>
File: katya.png (277 KB, 1050x794) Image search: [Google]
katya.png
277 KB, 1050x794
>>51707749
only been using linux for about 4 years, but my first distro was Linux Mint. I still remember discovering it for the first time and how magical it felt using it when I booted up the liveCD the first time.
>>
File: frogd.png (77 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
frogd.png
77 KB, 251x242
>>51707749
>>51707804
>installing a less functional less useful OS
>describing it as a 'magical' experience
>my frog face when
The only magical thing here was that your fedora grew 10 sizes that day.
>>
>>51707882
Dumb frogposter
>>
>>51707882
you must be the most boring person to exist. If you just discovered something brand new and it's alien to you, of course it's going to feel magical.
>>
File: mozilla07_redhat71.png (138 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
mozilla07_redhat71.png
138 KB, 800x600
Mine was Red Hat Linux 7.1 in 2001.
>>
I used redhat, mandrake and Suse a bit in the late 90s. Not sure which was first.
>>
>>51707882
>he has the Windous 10
>>
>>51708167
Me too.

I was woken up in the middle of the night by my computer beeping because sendmail had failed to deliver messages.

The message was an email to a botnet operator saying that it found and rooted another default RedHat 7.1 install.
>>
Fedora Core 6. It's what we used for our Linux classes at school.
>>
>>51708391
Really? That's an interesting source of memories.
>>
early redhat. 7 or 8. i locked myself out by wanting to be a super leet haxor and decided to try booting it without x. i ended up putting it into an infinite boot loop (without a backup config) and lacked the knowhow to fix it. yes, it was magical. in that my whole family wanted to kill me since it was the family computer and id wiped out windows 98 as well as the restore partition.

after that i tried slack, fedora, a few others once i knew what i was doing.
>>
Ubuntu 6. I found about it when looking for windows themes, had lots of fun figuring out how to get compiz working and juggling around with mp3 codecs
>>
Ubuntu, and it was confusing as hell. But I barely really count that, since I used it like twice.
The first distro I really USED was Debian on my Pi, and then later Debian on a headless server
After that I switched my server from Windows to Arch, and then my main computer from Windows to Arch.
>>
Xandro on my eee pc
>>
>>51707749
Mint.

I didn't know what a package manager was. Had no idea how to install programs. I think I was using KDE at the time, then switched to XFCE with great difficulty. Eventually I logged in as root and changed some files, broke my system and went back to windows. Am now a full time arch user and cringe at my past self.

>>51707882 is a great example of something I wouldve said at the time
>>
Slackware 4.0 around 1999.
I remember also fooling aroung with SuSE, Mandrake and Corel Linux by that time.
It was a pain in the ass to set up the 56k winmodem I had
>>
>>51707882
Oh my good goddamn. The guy discovered something new to him and you're going to post this fucking horseshit? People like you are why /g/ is always such a festering pile. Fuck you.
>>
ubuntu, when i was like 14 or 15. Used it for maybe half a year or something. Afterwards I tried Mac OS for a few years and then back to Windows for a few years. Didn't come back to GNU/Linux until January this year but glad I did.
>>
>>51707749
slax and i used it to get the admin passwords off of every computer i came across that used windows.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.