[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
languages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Python-logo-notext.svg.png (72 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Python-logo-notext.svg.png
72 KB, 1024x1024
Do you /g/uys mind in what Language was a program written?

Would you avoid using some specific program if it was written in some specific language?
>>
Only if it's an extremely retarded language that nearly guarantees the program will hog resources or otherwise not function ideally.
>>
Nah, nobody on /g/ has an opinion on programming languages.
>>
>>51706831
[OP]

Opinion on Python?
>>
>>51707121
rapid development
modifications are easy to make
hard to package
slow (doesn't matter for a lot of stuff though)
>>
No, only neckbeard elitists would. As long as it works and it's not garbage. As a programmer you should know which languages are better than others at a specific thing. For example, you could make a 3d game in python, but you would use C++
>>
>>51706795

A heavy 3d game for desktops made in java is probably a bad sign, last time I tried minecraft the GPU just didn't work with java, and to that I have to add that gnu/linux distros usually dosn't come with java (but with a shitty replacment that doesn't work half of the time).

A complex application made in VB is also a bad sign, not because VB is bad, but because programmers that code in VB are usaully bad (and the documentation doesn't help either).
>>
>>51707378
[OP]

But what do you think of Python, with lets say, a Qt gui? Is that a bad "sign"?
>>
>>51707179
I don't think you can actually make 3D games in Python though, even 2D games are hard enough with how slow Python is.
>>
>>51706795
>Would you avoid using^H^H^H^H^Hworking on some specific program if it was written in some specific language?
PHP
Perl
C++
Brainfuck
Whitespace
Malbolge
LOLCAT

It also depends on code quality though.
>>
Only if I might contribute to it. Doesn't matter otherwise.
>>
>>51707121
Fragile library and package system. Absolutely requires you use virtualenv to not fuck up your python installation. Still fucks it up. It's technically an implementation problem, not a language one, but the community doesn't do shit about it, and clings onto it like a security blanket.
>>
>>51707691
>>51707724
>>51707175

Well rumors say all C and C++ programmers started in Python.

Well, have to start somewhere. :/
>>
Could we eRiot my ISP or something please? I must pay 15EUR for 1.5/0.4 Mbit ADSL.
>>
File: 1443497131900.jpg (85 KB, 604x358) Image search: [Google]
1443497131900.jpg
85 KB, 604x358
>>51707848
Just kill yourself.
>>
>>51707488
Not nesscesarily, it depends in how complex is the app. Anyway python is not so slow. Well maybe it is but I've never found a python application slow to the point it's unusable, I can't say the same with java. Blender uses python for the GUI and it's fucking fast (tough almost all the code base is coded in C++).

I wouldn't worry for speed at all, if the program starts slowing down you just have to optimize a little the code (because probably some of your algorithms could be done more efficiently), if that's not good enought you can always go with PyPy or move the slowst parts of your code to C/C++ an call those functions from Python.

>>51707691
Freats On Fire is made in Python and blender games are also made with Python. It's hard to find a good blender game but that is precaisly becouse all those bad games use too much visual programming instad of python (because the devs aren't even programmers).
>>
>>51707773
Uh, no. I started programming in C in 1985. No Python in 1985.
>>
>>51707954

We are the new generation man, '85 was a looong time ago in computing.

And nothing in C changed. Python changes a lot. 2.X to 3.X was a big jump.
>>
>>51708122
And I was responding to the dumbass who said all C programmers started with Python. You guys do know that Python is written in C, right?
>>
>>51708122
Except for ansi c, c99 and c11, good free optimizing c conpilers released for every microcontroller, and a lot of old standard library functions being deprecated. But other than that, yeah. Nothing.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.