[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sublime text or Atom? /discuss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: sublime.png (274 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
sublime.png
274 KB, 1600x900
Sublime text or Atom?

/discuss
>>
Atom would be good if every click on a file didn't open a new tab. Also Atom crashed few times because it uses Node.js. Sublime Text for me
>>
File: mike_meyers_likes_linux.jpg (220 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mike_meyers_likes_linux.jpg
220 KB, 640x480
>>51702198
> atom
> sublime text
> Ubuntu with unity
Literally cancer. Install a real distro. Use emacs or vim and then install rat poison. At the very least nano.
Get gud.
>>
Switched from Sublime to Atom at least a year back. I can't remember why I like the latter more. I think it was because it was a little bit nicer to look at, and it had a real config UI instead of text files. I guess that sucks for the guy who made Sublime solo, to get outdone by a bigger team with a bigger budget making a modestly superior product. For what it's worth I had a legit sublime license when I was using it.
>>
Switched from Atom to Sublime Text this week. Atom is just too slow. The end.
>>
>>51702198
If you're using Pigcooks, vim or emacs.
If you're using Windows, Atom.
>>
I use Notepad++. Am i completely fucktard? What should i use instead and why?
>>
i do js development in eclipse most of the time

it's a bad idea
>>
>>51702539
Use what you want and stop being a faggot.
>>
vim
>>
>>51702470

Other than the ease of setting up a plebeian environment because of the built in package manager I fail to see how Atom is superior. Just difference in speed alone makes ST the clear winner
>>
>>51702198
ST3

Atom cannot handle large files, and it crawls slower than a dead armadillo even on files smaller than it's limit.
>>
Atom. Sublime is abandonware
>>
File: niceautism.png (584 KB, 876x956) Image search: [Google]
niceautism.png
584 KB, 876x956
>>51702198
>Ubuntu
>>
File: babbys_first_editor.png (21 KB, 793x196) Image search: [Google]
babbys_first_editor.png
21 KB, 793x196
>>51702198
stop posting this fucking horseshit and get a real editor
>>
File: VSCode-770x429.png (48 KB, 770x429) Image search: [Google]
VSCode-770x429.png
48 KB, 770x429
Hi guys!
>>
>>51704026
Go away, You're about as useful and wanted as the herpes.
>>
>>51702198
Sublime. Atom is just so slow that it can't compete.

>>51702454
>>51703982
I'm sorry that most people don't have crippling autsim. As someone who has used a multitude of distros over the course of five years (and still continues to run plenty of different distros on servers and hobby machines), I have come back to Ubuntu repeatedly.

I've used GNOME. I've used KDE. I've used XFCE. I've used awesome. I've used Fedora, SuSE, Arch, etc. They're great, but the one with the least hiccups and missing features (for me, at least) has been Ubuntu with Unity. While I hate to impose, I've found that in my experience of introducing my friends to Linux, this is the case for Average Joe, too.

Do us all a favor; accept that Ubuntu/Unity is kind of shitty, but less shitty than Windows and easier to get working properly than some of our distros of choice. The entirety of Windows is a design mistake; we need to get over the lesser design mistakes of a distro that isn't quite our favorite and just accept that it's our best hope at getting Linux in any sort of common use.
>>
>>51703982
I want to pick on you irl
>>
>>51704026
How is that logo supposed to be representative of the phrase "Visual Basic" in any way? It looks like one of the designers said fuck it it's going to be a this thing.
>>
>>51702198
emacs
>>
I really, really want to like atom, feature rich, easy to use, nice for managing a multifolder project, etc, sublime is just way faster. The lag between each keypress is noticeable.
>>
>>51702454
Truth is here
>>
>>51704552
Autism is here
>>
>>51704566
Autism is the truth desu, senpai
>>
>>51704464
It's visual studio code, dumbass.
>>
>>51704708
Point still stands ya cunt.
>>
>>51703988
kek
>>
>>51702198
atom is a bloated piece of shit
>>
>>51702198
i personally prefer vim+tmux
>>
I think at this very moment, Sublime Text is a more polished, complete product. That said, I do think Atom is going to get there, and probably very quickly. I would recommend just trying Atom for a week or two and seeing if you can do the same things as you do with Sublime Text.

Frankly, if you've never used Sublime Text, just use Atom and learn with that. Now, if you've already got a Sublime Text license, just use that. Atom will get there, but Sublime already is there. As somebody who had been sort of exploiting Sublime's unlimited trial version, I've been using Atom strictly from an ethics standpoint. If it doesn't work for me in the end, it will make me realize that Sublime Text deserves my money and I'll buy a license.
>>
vim. While you're at it - drop that disgusting Unity for a tiling WM.
>>
>>51702198
emacs or visual studio for me

vim for quick changes from the command line, sublime as a general scratch pad
>>
File: 10060-2147-Komodo-Edit-logo.png (8 KB, 188x203) Image search: [Google]
10060-2147-Komodo-Edit-logo.png
8 KB, 188x203
Komodo Edit.
>>
>>51702198
are you seriously asking this?
Well I guess people will eventually learn that
C/python > html/css/js
>>
>>51705342
What are you yacking on about mate?
>>
>>51703719
Which is technically faster doesn't seem to affect me in the kind of development I do. Atom is fast enough; I've never had it hold me back from getting something done at the speed that I wanted. Some people say it sucks for large files. I don't have any large files in my codebases, so I don't know.

>I fail to see how Atom is superior
Does being open-source not count?
>>
>>51705503
about you and 99% /g/ being total fucking neet imbeciles
>>
Sublime text is proprietary, Atom is free software. Obvious choice.
>>
>>51702198
sublime-text but why are you not using geany?
>>
>>51702198
why did you end discussion with your post?
>>
>>51702539
Notepad++ is a decent choice for Windows. Vim is great for unix-like OSes. I can't recommend Emacs since long term users tend to develop RSI.
>>
>>51706023
>I can't recommend Emacs since long term users tend to develop RSI.

Meme.
>>
I use Brackets because I have a huge cock and you faggots all have small ones so fuck you all and suck my cock, just get on your knees and suck it good, into shape.
>>
gedit
because I'm not a faggot
>>
Notepad ++
>>
I generally use both Sublime and Atom at work. Atom's features are nice but the editor can be painfully slow so I'll still jump back to Sublime for a lot of stuff. On my home computer Atom takes ages to load (literally like 2 minutes), so it's Sublime for me.
>>
EVIL MODE
V
I
L
>>
Vim

it just works!
>>
>>51704260
this. though i use xubuntu on my shitty gigantic chinkpad, if it had a graphics card, i'd be using ubuntu with unity. all the *ubuntus are fucking great. and if you just go from LTS to LTS, you rarely have to worry about breakage.
>>
>>51702454
/thread
>>
File: [email protected] (90 KB, 450x393) Image search: [Google]
emacs@2x.png
90 KB, 450x393
>>51702198
http://emacs.sexy/
>>
>>51704833
it's not representative of the name ya dingaling
it's the idea
infinity
universal: "Tools for every developer and every app"

it aint a hard link to make
>>
>>51705985
http://harmful.cat-v.org/words/politics-and-the-english-language
specifically
Dying metaphors... there is a huge dump of worn-out metaphors which have lost all evocative power ... Many of these are used without knowledge of their meaning, and incompatible metaphors are frequently mixed, a sure sign that the writer is not interested in what he is saying.

that is why anon does what he does
>>
File: atom.gif (2 MB, 600x250) Image search: [Google]
atom.gif
2 MB, 600x250
>>
I use emacs with evil-mode so I have vi-like bindings, I dare to say evil-mode makes a better vi editor than vim.
>>
brackets

brackets.io
>>
I've tried Sublime a few times back in Uni where they had cheap macbooks everywhere. It was great experience. CTRL + D was very useful at times.
Regardless, I eventually went to atom on both Winshit and Lincúck. If only it wasn't so bloated, it would have been perfect.

Vim forever.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.