[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking of biting the bullet on a Fractal Design R4 mid tower,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 91YRmWD4LfL._SL1500_.jpg (202 KB, 1500x1259) Image search: [Google]
91YRmWD4LfL._SL1500_.jpg
202 KB, 1500x1259
Thinking of biting the bullet on a Fractal Design R4 mid tower, any experiences/warnings about this baby?

Been using an ugly ass lian li full tower with no cable routing for like 37 years
>>
single, solemn bump
>>
>>51701026
As some one who has built systems in multiple different Fractal Design cases, Just spend the extra 20 and get an R5 or If you dont need a disk drive buy a Define S.
>>
>>51701244
what's significantly different? The r5 isn't even more expensive, I just like that the r4 appears to be made of more metal.
>>
>>51701281
wait looking at the r5 now...i notice it has this weird ass design where it has 4 feet but then it has a platform below the feet the entire size of the case?

this seems bizarre to me..what is the logic behind this?
>>
>>51701026
>2015
>not building your computer into a random object
>>
>>51701522
Wat are you talking about?
The dust filter? I have the R5 and I cant tell what do you mean.

Was also on the verge of getting the R4 and eventually got the R5,because why not? a newer model for only a bit more? what can go wrong?
And I'm glad I did it.
it is a bit more chubbier then the R4, but it is less tall (which was a plus for me) and has a lot more depth which makes it easier to install and play with and a better modular verity options.

also the top closes off, which is great if your'e looking for a silent case (was my top priority)
>>
>>51701026
You're buying the R4 when the R5 is out. Besides that no reason not to. The R4 will be cheaper because of this.
>>
>>51701026
I have an R4 blackout, my server lives in it.

I'm happy with it for that purpose, but there's some things about it that would annoy me if it were my main case. The cable routing didn't seem as good as in my Corsair Vengeance, if I was using the behind-the-mobo 2.5" mounting points and needed PCI-E power cables, it'd be a pain. The door helps with noise, but again, not something I'd want for my main machine. Front fan slots take only 140s, not 120s. Top panel metal is kinda flimsy.

these things may or may not be limitations for the machine you want to build and the way you want to use it.
>>
>>51704704
Also I would have really liked one more 5.25 bay, but you probably aren't going to fill all eight of the main 3.5" drive slots and then think "Gee, I hope I'll have enough expansion room for more drives" like I did.
>>
>>51701244
Is the define s only missing the odd bays though?

I was thinking about buying an R5 but not using any disk drives. I was always under the impression the S was also stripped down in terms of sound isolation.
>>
>>51701026
HDD vibration resonates rather loudly in my R4 case. I ended up doing this mod to avoid that:
http://imgur.com/a/sbI1I
>>
>>51705544
>Imgur
I Back to
-->Reddit
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.