[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OSX Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
File: OS%20X%20El%20Capitan-970-80.jpg (131 KB, 725x408) Image search: [Google]
OS%20X%20El%20Capitan-970-80.jpg
131 KB, 725x408
I've just installed osx, what is some recommended software?
>>
>>51700664
these represent pretty much everything installed on my computer (except that I also have sublime text 3 installed, but that's cracked so I want to keep it out of homebrew's package management).

Start by installing homebrew, then tap Cask and maybe the fonts thing.
>>
AppCleaner - Deleting apps and packages
Movist - Prob the sleekest video player with no shitty bloat that vlc has
iTerm2 - Kewl terminal with support for handy hotkeys and shit. Its handy to pull terminal window whenever you feel like by just pressing Alt+Tilde
Brew - For installing Linux packages
Max or XLD - Best audio conversion kit with plenty of options
Keka - File compressor/decompressor
>>
>>51700664
Keep the thread afloat for an hour OP, I'll post some when I get on my PC.
>>
>>51700664
Little Snitch
Everything else just twerks with mac os
>>
>>51700703
Do you do all your software management through homebrew? I see you have stuff like Skype on there.
>>
>>51700767
I used most of these programs before I started using homebrew, but lately I've been making a point of seeing if homebrew/cask tracks these things, because updating/upgrading all of them becomes trivially easy (with the exception of this one issue updating the cask/fonts tap, apparently).

You could install these things piecemeal, but you'd have to trust that they have their own auto-update mechanism, and then they'd only ever run when you ran them (which might not happen that often, if it only sees occasional use).

I also just realized that I have MS Office and MacTeX installed, which I don't think are tracked with homebrew.
>>
File: unused.png (131 KB, 1344x1116) Image search: [Google]
unused.png
131 KB, 1344x1116
>>51700823
Also I guess it's worth highlighting what I don't really use that much (but I use it enough to keep it installed - like once a month or once every few months, or maybe I just like to be caught up on the project's current status).

I use skype when chatting with people at MSR. That's pretty much it. Everyone else I talk to (mostly academics) either uses Google (Hangouts) or something like that.
>>
>>51700871
I've been using homebrew for some of the command line tools that I missed in Linux. I'll definitely look into tracking my other software using cask. It would be nice if it track stuff like Second Life viewers, because I have a bunch of those and they all like to update at different times.
>>
homebrew
spectacle - window snapping
bartender - cleans up the menu bar icons
itsycal - small calendar for the menu bar
photoshop
istatmenus - sensor/cpu/battery/etc menus
chrome - until safari adds a dedicated "undo last closed tab" function
mpv - video player
>>
>>51700997
I have no idea what second life stuff is out there. i wasn't even aware it still had active users.
>>
>>51701053
>mpv
why not use vlc? serious question. I downloaded mplayerx and the playback was really awful with large square artefacts.
>>51700664
Also Flux and Bettertouchtool.
>>
>>51700664

don't just fucking fill your hack with bloatware. know what you're gonna do then research, try softwares for the task specifically.

also safari is best on OS X as a web browser.
>>
>>51701126
I thought Safari was decent but the lack of favicons ( LOL) and the fact that you're not able to enforce HTTPS with https everywhere just kills it for me. They really fucked it up when they decided to go all muh minimalism on useful things. It's impossible to navigate through alot of open tabs with safari.
Also the fact that there's no zenmate or any alternative is unacceptable.
That being said I don't need the extra battery life safari has to offer since I'm on a hackintosh desktop
>>
GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51701344
There's no need to do that.
>>
>>51701062
There are still people here. Lots of the 4chan crowd along with some furries. The "normal" people either visit themed sex parcels or dance and listen to music clubs.

There are several viewers for many platforms by different parties, and they're all open source.
>>
What do people use for screen shotting on osx? I'm looking for something like sharex on windows that can screenshot a section of the screen and then auto uploads to an image host
>>
>>51701440
It's not about the window manager, it's about the freedom and total control of the machine.
>>
>>51700664
Read the sticky you dimwit, there's an entry in the wiki that answers your stupid question

A SQT thread would also be the most appropriate place to make it
>>
>>51701794
cmd+shift+3 or cmd+shift+4 and imgur
>>
>>51701794
Puush.
>>
>>51701966
And what exactly do you do with this freedom and total control that you have, Anon?
>>
shiftit - window tiling via kb
f.lux - dim screen at night
panda - use dark menu bar/dock easily
cyberduck - awesome ftp client
gimp - free photoshop
sublime text - programming text editor
>>
Gentoo - Install gentoo
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Somewhat related, anyone else having this problem?
>>
>>51700664
>what is some recommended software?
Gentoo
>>
Tell me reasons why you are all not using Alfred
>>
>>51700664
>Gentoo
>>
>>51707551

Usually I get told that Quicksilver is better
>>
>>51701197
Browsing through a lot of open tabs on Safari is much easier than with Chrome. Pinch in and you have a visible representation of each tab.
>>
Caffeine - Keeps your computer from sleeping.
>>
What's that one app that keeps track of how much semen you swallow a day in metric and imperial units? I've been using a pen and paper but it's becoming a chore to even keep track of the number of dicks I have in my mouth on a daily basis.
>>
Don't forget to list the prices... including what they charge for upgrades.

Think different (think bad money management)
>>
>>51709006

What does this accomplish that changing your Energy Settings to "Never" can't? Honestly asking because so many people recommend it.
>>
>>51700664
Software is to get shit done.

What shit do you want to do?
>>
>>51709160
nothing. people are fucking retarded.
>>
>>51709160
I use a company managed computer which forces log outs after the mac goes to sleep. Not sure about everyone else.
>>
>>51705939
/this
>>
>>51702791
>And what exactly do you do with this freedom and total control that you have, Anon?
I pound your mom's pussy lmao
>>
>>51709160
>>51709433
Oh, and it's handy since it puts a click on/off icon in the system tray,
>>
Textmate: best programming editor
Bean: simple word processor
Img2icns: make ugly icons like files and folders look better by changing the icon
Paintbrush: simple paint/image program
Colloquy: IRC client
KisMac2: wifi hacking
>>
XQuartz - run lots of Linux shit
http://www.xquartz.org/

Inkscape - like Illustrator but free
http://www.inkscape.org/

Textual - beautiful IRC client
(app store)

I'm a fan of Panic software like Coda and Transmit (www.panic.com)

if you can disable SIP, TotalFinder is awesome
you need to reboot in recovery mode and run this in terminal:

#> csrutil disable

or SIP will prevent totalfinder from adding features to the finder.
>>
File: 008131.png (68 KB, 421x248) Image search: [Google]
008131.png
68 KB, 421x248
Anybody know a fix for El Capitan's awful battery life? My 2011 MBP used to last 10 hours in Yosemite but now it barely hits the 3 hour mark. Did a clean install, checked the activity monitor, recently replaced the battery and it still dies within 3 hours.
>>
Little Snitch is obligatory, IMO.
iChm is for reading (*.chm) e-books.
Hardly use Alfred, simply too lazy to learn it and Spotlight gets the job done when it comes to app launching. Wish Spotlight worked like it did in Tiger/Leopard when it indexed the filesystem.
Should probably get rid of TextWrangler as I use Sublime.
Mainly use Chrome, have Firefox because I have a bunch of anti-tracking shit in Chrome which breaks websites sometimes. Hardly use Safari.
TIS-100 is fun. So is Quinn. I may or may not have autism.
>>
>>51701053
>safari adds a dedicated "undo last closed tab" function
cmd+z
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.