[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gentooman's Library 2.0
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 13
File: sicp kodomo.jpg (62 KB, 434x479) Image search: [Google]
sicp kodomo.jpg
62 KB, 434x479
Let's form a list of essential /g/ books to create a more versatile and useful Gentooman's Library.
Ideally, this should be limited to around ~20 books, because nobody wants to download 35GB of books they'll never read.
We could put the list on the InstallGentoo wiki before settling on a final release.

The original GL torrent was 35GB and included such essential reads like "Sam's Teach Yourself Visual Studio 2004 in 24 Hours" and "CLICK ME I'M DEFINITELY NOT A VIRUS.pdf".
Nobody wants to download that shit.
>>
John L. Hennessy, David A. Patterson-Computer Architecture_ A Quantitative Approach. 5-Elsevier (2011)
>>
>>51696982
Not even a programmer, but here is the most frequently mentioned books for /g/
>SICP
>Design Pattern
>Introduction to Algorithms
>Code Complete
>Practical Programmer
>The art of computer programming
>The Tao of programming
>K&R
>Dragon Book
Some specific books on lisp, or haskell.

This list has quite a lot in common with /g/ usual list
http://www.cspray.net/my.so-archive/100-most-influential-programming-books.html
>>
>>51696982
>Nobody wants to download that shit.

Historians and archivists do. Especially some 100 years from now when they have no idea what times we are living right now.

That information is so valuable.
>>
C Primer Plus

>>51697043
Fuck off, oneslowgtp
>>51697030
I'm pretty sure code complete is a meme.
>>
>>51696982
>Ideally, this should be limited to around ~20 books, because nobody wants to download 35GB of books they'll never read.
I disagree with this. We should have an essential version that's around 20 and an extended version that's 50gigs.
>>
>>51697085
I'd rather dedicate those 50GB to anime, desu.
>>
>>51696982
>>
>>51697131
I nominate all 13 volumes of Kodomo no Jikan + the OVA exclusive stuff.
>>
>>51697064
>oneslowgtp

I'm not her.
>>
>>51697269
Who's that guy who makes a big deal about archiving all the files from pomf clones?
Are you that guy?
>>
>>51697277
>Who's that guy who makes a big deal about archiving all the files from pomf clones?

There's many of them, and while I don't want to make a point of myself but you were curious, yes I'm one of them.
>>
File: terrible meme.png (295 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
terrible meme.png
295 KB, 803x688
>>51697030
>SICP
>>
>>51696982
>it-ebooks.info
There, I declare Gentooman's library open!
>>
>>51697297
nothing important or relevant has ever been saved to a pomf clone that couldn't be found in better quality elsewhere
I mean for fucks sake, I run several scripts that upload random garbage data to every available pomf clone at random intervals just to bloat up your archival efforts.
The pictures on 4chan archivers are much more interesting anyway.
>>
>>51696982
Compiler Construction by Wirth.
Hacking: The Art of Exploitation.
>>
>>51697315
I am not the one to decide what's importand and what's not. Historians hundred years later may do that.
>>
you could upload it to #bookz
>>
I'd rather have a small torrent with one or two best-in-class books for each language. One seminal, one less academic. Like K&R coupled with Learn C the Hard Way.

Frankly, I think it would be best to treat it like a starter kit, instead of a library. I'm sure TAOCP is spectacular, but it isn't something you just pick up or use as a reference. As in I'd rather see "The Little Book of Semaphores" in there, rather than SICP.
>>
>>51697085
>Extended 50gb version
>Not an essentials version with a series of expansion packs.
Why would I want a 50gb version that includes tons of primers on Linux only development when I just want c++ and networking for Windows?
>>
>>51696982
I'm with >>51697085
There is no way to keep it at 20 books. Like I said in the other thread, the library is intended to have resources for everything that is STEM related. You can't do that in 20 books. Your specific interests are probably able to be distilled in to 20 or less volumes, but that wont cover everything that the library is.
I DO agree with your statement that a good deal of the old library was crap.

Like I said previously: There are 28 top-level folders in the current library. Some can be deleted and/or merged with others, and new ones could probably be created. But as it stands right now, the library covers everything from straight math to programming to filesystem specifics to cryptography and more.

Before you put limits on how big it should be, we need to determine the scope of the library.
>>
>>51699232
Why not both?

Make a comprehensive /G/entoomanLibrary with individual subfolders available as separate torrents or easily from the FTP; and also a smaller highly curated collection of essentials. The kind of basic stuff everyone should read for a practical modern foundation in Sci/Tech/Math
>>
Shit heads like you are why we can't have nice things
>>51697315
>>
>>51696982
Graphics Programming Black Book
>>
You gonna get on this or what OP? gettin close to the 20 book limit
>>
I found this list useful.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1711/what-is-the-single-most-influential-book-every-programmer-should-read
>>
Fuck off plebs.
>>
The Gentooman Library was about more than just programming, though those are all good resources too.
>>
Someone make a library logo
>>
Everyone seems to be mossing the point.
You don't want to make a new torrent.
There's no point in doing that unless you want to flood your drive with shit you'll never read.

What should be done is that there should be a list of named booms, and people can figure out how to download them themselves.
There's no end to how many download sources there are, so there's no need to add to them.
>>
Artificial intelligence a modern approach
>>
>>51703052
I could get behind an idea like that, if we can get a neat, well-organized page on the wiki set up to direct people to, or something similar to that.

But I think *you* are missing the point. You are basically telling people to Google it themselves, whereas the point of the Library is the one-stop-shop for these resources.
>>
File: database fairy.png (242 KB, 716x449) Image search: [Google]
database fairy.png
242 KB, 716x449
Here's my Ctrl+V for math texts.

Note: Beware of recommendations from math majors. They fuckin' love rigor, and always forget how hard it is as a beginner. If you hear them telling you to learn calculus with the likes of Spivak, Courant, or Apostol, run far, far away. Intuition first; extensive rigor can come later.

Precalculus:
These books are all kind of the same, honestly. The book I personally use for review is Axler's. Also, I should note that Gelfand does *not* make a good primary text.

Calculus:
I'm actually not certain what's best here. Personally, I eventually settled on Simmons' "Calculus with Analytic Geometry", and used the exercises from the Stewart text my university made me buy. I *will* recommend Banner's "The Calculus Lifesaver" as a supplement, however; it’s excellent.

Alternatively, check out his calculus lectures, as they are by *far* some of the best (he does Calculus I-III).

Linear Algebra:
Lay’s “Linear Algebra and its Applications” is my favorite intro text so far. I appreciate the myriad of concepts it seamlessly teaches you early on.

Banner made some LA lectures, but they’re not nearly as good as his calculus ones. Strang’s range from good to an utter mess; but they might be the most recommendable, I guess.

Discrete Mathematics:
“Mathematics: A Discrete Introduction” is far and away the nicest intro to discrete math *and* proofs I’ve seen. Gentle, without the inelegant dumbing down you see in, say, Epp.

Probability:
Tijm’s “Understanding Probability” is great. The first half works on building intuition; and then the second gets more sophisticated with calculus and such.
>>
File: totes 4 srs.png (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
totes 4 srs.png
61 KB, 640x480
>>51703364

Also, I should note that SICP, though a wonderful text (it was my introduction to programming; my favorite book ever), is not really the best for a complete beginner. Not only will the mathematics likely be overwhelming to a noob, but it's simply too terse for an introductory text. Also there's the problem of not giving the beginner enough practical power to do interesting personal projects on his own, that aren't mathematical in nature (like messing around with files or whatever); so motivation can become a problem. Honestly, one would be better off starting with the likes of Python. MIT was probably right to go in this direction.
>>
>>51703364
Good calls, and very nice to hear reasoning behind your choices. A good review will probably get people to try your choices than a suggestion with no review.
>>
File: manga-guide-databases[1].jpg (325 KB, 479x576) Image search: [Google]
manga-guide-databases[1].jpg
325 KB, 479x576
>>51703364
The real question is, how is this book?
>>
>>51704133
Attracts younger audiences to programming?
>>
>>51704133
I think there is a line of those kinds of books. Some were up for grabs a few months back on HumbleBundle
>>
>>51704434
NoStarch distributes them. They have books for math and science too. They're good primers.
>>
>>51704133

Is it fucked I read that as "Dumbasses" at first
>>
No Starch gives you a DRM free version of the hard copy book you buy... does Oreily do the same?
>>
Since this thread is here, does anyone have the 2nd edition of Practical Vim?
>>
>>51705413
Here's the 1st edition of Practical Vim:

The craft of text editing (for Emacs and general text editor design, because unlike Vim, Emacs has a sane design):

UNIX Hater's Handbook:

http://pastebin.com/qji61kbY

Fuck you retarded filter piece of shit this post isn't spam you piece of shit.
>>
>>51705413
I do not, I don't think.
Looks like I have:
Learning VI and the VIM editors, 7th Ed. (2008)
Best I can do, sorry.
>>
>>51697085
Or you know, just unselect the files you don't want, dumbass.
>>
>>51704133
I have a copy, I bought it when I was in college and took my first databases class
and as an introduction for a class like that, I found it perfectly adequate and pleasant to read.
if you want a comprehensive textbook you'll be disappointed, if you just want a fun "intro to.." sort of thing it's nice
>>
File: aima.jpg (125 KB, 500x648) Image search: [Google]
aima.jpg
125 KB, 500x648
>>51696992
this one

>>51697030
>Design Pattern
>Introduction to Algorithms
>Dragon Book

>>51702804
really good

Some other few:
Let Over Lambda - for Common Lisp
pic related for Artificial Intelligence
Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach, 6/E by James F. Kurose and Keith W. Ross
Distributed Systems - Concepts and Design, Fifth Edition by George Coulouris, Jean Dollimore, Tim Kindberg and Gordon Blair
The Linux Programming Interface by Michael Kerrisk
>>
>>51706179
is it still valid book? its been long time
>>
>>51697277
Is Neku shilling her shitty software.
>>
File: 1420029430771.jpg (438 KB, 900x2134) Image search: [Google]
1420029430771.jpg
438 KB, 900x2134
>>51706500
>is it still valid book? its been long time
Yes. And I don't even know which book you're talking about.
>>
>>51703223
Let's just create a page on the wiki with download links.
>>
>>51706693
form your pic
>>
>>51706693
Do we have a single person on /g/ that read entire 4 volumes of TAOCP?
>>
Give some guide on wiki step by step, how to get out of code monkey life kek
>>
>>51706835
yes it is. Obviously if you're interested in a given topic you can find lots of new interesting developments in books or papers about it.
The one where its age is more noticeable is the dragon book
>>
>>51706805
We could. Pirate and gratis offerings tend to change/disappear, and the wiki is pretty bad at getting itself updated.

Not saying I would be opposed to that idea, but I don't know that I would want to leave it at that. Links would be an excellent 1st step anyway, and then I (or whoever) could compile it to an all-encompassing torrent for the datahoarders.
>>
>>51697030
Dragon Book a shit
anyways, I'd add in the MINIX book in there since there aren't really any great alternatives
>>
>>51706867
not even of earth, unless some basement dweller with a severe case of autism has done it.
You have to understand the purpose of the series. Knuth decided to write it when there was no online archive for scientific papers. And it's nothing more than it, it's a collection of several algorithms and their proofs that were scattered in lots of books and papers at the time.
So while it might be interesting to read the book by the fireplace most people used it as a "catalog" and they used it when they needed something about a particular algorithm or task
>>
>>51706914
The most important step would be to write down the list.
We could create right now a page with the usual suspects: SICP, K&R, TAOCP and so on.
Links can come later. In fact I think that a small description/introduction for each book would be more useful, since you can easily find the books anyway.
I would be more than happy to maintain the list, and it will surely make the wiki more lively and actually useful.
>>
People be contributing a lot of prog/dev reading. What about databases, OSs, networking, security, intelligence gathering, crypto, math, electronics, and all the other bits that original library had?

We can start with just getting a programming set up and running, and then move to another subject, yeah? "I wanna program, where do I start" seems to be the most common question on /g/
>>
>>51706805
>>51707025
What's the difference between that and
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_Books ?
>>
What about the Learn x The Hard Way books? I see the one for python on the wiki list. Are the others as good?
>>
>>51707199
I liked the Python one, never looked at the others.
>>
tbqh I don't think we should limit the number of books. even a ~5gb download shouldn't be too huge for most people, and would give lots of room for all topics.

Are we gonna have one person compile this library, or should we setup a dropbox/ftp server?
>>
>>51708203
You interested in making this happen?
I still think we need to decide on the scope of this project. People seem to be fixated on programming languages most of all, so that's obviously going to need to be part of this, but what of other subjects? And do we pile in stuff on every language, or just language-agnostic programming texts?
I would prefer to keep with the spirit of the original library, and include the best texts on every subject in the STEM categories.
>>
>>51696982
Conformal Field Theory by
Di Francseco, Mathieu, Sénéchai
>>
>>51704596
>The Manga Guide to Dumbasses
Jitsu wa Watashi wa?
>>
>>51708308
I was thinking of a larger library with the same sorts of categories as the original. As for the languages, I know I'm not gonna read "Algorithms and Data Structures in Forth 9th Edition," but its nice to know that I have that sort of data in-case I might need it some day.
>>
>>51708627
Sounds good to me.
I feel the same way about lesser-wanted languages, but if they are decent references I'll keep them around. It's not as though a pile of ebooks takes enough space on a NAS to matter and I'd rather keep it around for someone else later on.

Anyone recall what the /g/ Volafile room was?
>>
>>51708855
Volafile .com /r/ BEEPi

I hate the spam filter here. Fuck.
>>
>>51708975
Thanks

>>51708627
Does something work for you (and anyone else)? Everyone share what they have, and everyone build up the library. Keep it clean and organized, and then we can get it on to the FTP once we are satisfied. Links for web resources and free material on the wiki, and a torrent of the hard-copy library.

Yes?
>>
>>51696982
>>51697131
>>51697160
I would like to congratulate you on your superior taste.
>>
>>51709217
This is techloligy after all
>>
File: 1443212545512.jpg (48 KB, 680x578) Image search: [Google]
1443212545512.jpg
48 KB, 680x578
>>51709330
>tfw I own techloli.gy but can't use it anymore for reasons

It really sucks that I'm going to have to let this one go.
>>
>>51709435
Then give it to the people!
People's Republic of Techloli.gy!
>>
>>51696982
It's a library, not a "I don't know how to program so teach me" list.

Fuck off.
>>
File: 1443068213067.jpg (469 KB, 800x1100) Image search: [Google]
1443068213067.jpg
469 KB, 800x1100
>>51709530
I would like to, especially since it has a year or so paid off and is just going to waste since I took all of my services offline.

But I have nobody to give it to as well as an ownership transfer costing like 8 USD which I'd rather not pay but I guess I would consider it.(NEET)
>>
>>51709753
I'm sure the receiver would pay for the transfer fee.
>>
>>51709576
Your a retart. The library is full of everything from language guides and references, to books on AI, algorithms, and computer physics.
>>
>>51709753
I'm *sure* someone on /g/ would pay that xfer fee to make use of the name.
>>
>>51709849
Well... A library can have anything. It's a curated collection of (something). Most libraries have huge variety, but not all do. That guy was poiting out that the spirit of the Gentooman Library goes well beyond the "20 or so books" that OP wanted. And it sounds like he only wanted beginner texts.
>>
>>51709849
So you're agreeing with me? that a library should contain more than "the essentials", whatever those are
>>
>>51709911
>>51709920
yes I think a larger collection would be ideal. I think most people have enough disk space to spare for a nice library
>>
>>51709979
Good, I agree.
I'mma spend the next week or so gathering materials. No one else seems to be taking the helm. I have plenty of books on top of the original torrent, and people have thrown out links to a lot of free material.
This whole conversation started late last night from a thread where someone asked about the original torrent. I think we can do better. The original had a lot of viruses and srsly outdated content. When I feel I have something presentable I'll make another thread. I also lurk in the IRC and Volafile from time to time. From there I'll see what people think is missing (I certainly wont be able to cover all bases), and what other people can contribute.
>>
>>51697064
Have you actually read Code Complete? There's a lot of useful information there
>>
File: 1449031551725.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1801) Image search: [Google]
1449031551725.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1801
Why not make a Google poll where people can submit book titles, organize them by number of times mentioned, and make a torrent of the top 100 books?
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.