[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i just got a chromebook pixel as a gift but i'm not fond
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: pixelpixelleadjtcbwm.jpg (40 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
pixelpixelleadjtcbwm.jpg
40 KB, 620x413
i just got a chromebook pixel as a gift but i'm not fond of chrome OS. has anyone ever tried to hackintosh this thing? my current plan is to either get windows, osx, or linux on it. i'm thinking osx mainly because i've never tried it before and i'm curious, plus it supports the applications i use on a regular basis.
>>
>getting a $1000 laptop that you never asked for as a gift
>>
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=chromebook+pixel+windows
>>
>>51695769
should return it and get a minifree t400
>>
>>51695769
How fucking rich are you to get a gift like that
>>
It took me five minutes to throw on arch on mine
>>
>>51695769
I think you're supposed to be able to get desktop Linux on them pretty easily. They're practically designed for it.
>>
>>51695841
How's the battery life? Looking for a Linux laptop for college with good battery life
>>
>>51695769
there's no hackintosh community for that device specifically, mainly because it's a grossly overpriced laptop no one would bother buying.
>>
>>51695818
>>51695833
i'm not rich. i got it from an aunt that wants me to pursue computer science as a profession and wanted me to have a computer that i can take around instead of just using my desktop at home.
>>
File: ahmed-clock1.jpg (63 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
ahmed-clock1.jpg
63 KB, 600x450
>>51695769
install gentoo ahmed
>>
>>51695876
I guess she was assuming you could install an emacs chrome extension.

God bless her.
>>
>>51695876
Linux is easy to load onto any Chromebook
>>
Install ctos
>>
>>51695896
yeah but i've been told you can't actually make the bootloader autoselect your linux distribution, and you have to F key every time or something. is that just misinformation?
>>
>>51695904
this is something you should solve by googling for information, not posting on /g/.
>>
>>51695769
Sell it. You can't upgrade the SSD.
>>
>>51695876
I hope you wrote your aunt a thank you letter.
>>
>>51695904

>and you have to F key every time or something
Who cares? It's Linux. You install, and then never reboot your computer.
>>
>>51695954
32 or 64 seem fine for most OS.
>>
Good luck getting OS X on there. For all of the FUD and shit about Apple laptops being "LOCKED DOWN!", they really don't prohibit the user from doing jack shit. Google tries to actually do it to the Pixel. I've heard getting real GNU/Linux, while not impossible, is a pain in the ass, and probably not worth the time. Especially because of the soldered-in SSD, which is somehow smaller than the 2.5" one I paid $60 for two years ago. The machine is designed to shill THE CLOUD and THE DRIVE wherever it can.
Anyone know if this model has the SD slot, still? It'd probably help someone stuck with one of these as a last resort. If not, enjoy having some flash drive sticking out of a USB port. Even then, using SD cards for long-term storage would be RPi-tier sluggish bullshit.
>>
>>51695769
Look into Crouton. It allows you to run Chrome OS and Linux side by side. You can actually swap between them on the fly.

OSX is probably not going to happen on it, its very picky about the hardware it goes on. And to be honest while the OS has a decent layout Final Cut is the only thing I can think of that it has to offer over anything else.
>>
Your family is rich, just pay someone more money to do it.
>>
>>51695831
top cuc
>>
>>51696659
or his fuckin aunt just saved up because he loves him
anon ass bitches don't even know what it's like to have a family that loves them
>>
File: nigger1.png (961 KB, 858x513) Image search: [Google]
nigger1.png
961 KB, 858x513
>>51695876
Lol, that reminds me of my parents buying me a car (pic related) so that I would go to work as a cop in my country.

Say thank you, to your aunty.
>>
I really know nothing of ChromeBooks or what installing a third party OS is like but in terms of OS X, why not just try it and see what happens?

If something doesn't work, start troubleshooting from there. In theory the hardware it has should work without too many problems - only likely issue is perhaps with the wireless.
>>
>pixel
jelly as fuck, can't get em here.
>>
>>51696697
>tfw dad gifts me real estate

Made the keks on /biz/ mad as fuck once.
>>
>>51695769
>chromebook pixel
poo in the loo, Rajesh
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.