[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is literally no fucking point to Raspberry Pi Prove me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: Pi2ModB1GB_-comp.jpg (3 MB, 4224x2394) Image search: [Google]
Pi2ModB1GB_-comp.jpg
3 MB, 4224x2394
There is literally no fucking point to Raspberry Pi

Prove me wrong.

>only 5 dollars son
5 dollars my ass, you need wifi, memory card, wireless keyboard/mouse module, power adapter, case for the unit itself and so on
>muh performance
The performance is what you could get from a 30$ android smartphone and the phone already has all you need by factory

>ultra small
So what? You still need to plug into a fucking power outlet and monitor, why not use a regular desktop

>cheap computers for poor countries
I fucking dare those african kids to start typing all kinds of shit into Terminal just so they can set a resolution

There is literally no point in using one.
>>
>>51693803
But I don't use it as a desktop PC.
>>
> keyboard mouse for remote machine

Fuck off Reddit
>>
File: 1412335338315.jpg (56 KB, 432x323) Image search: [Google]
1412335338315.jpg
56 KB, 432x323
>>
>>51693803
>I fucking dare those african kids to start typing all kinds of shit into Terminal just so they can set a resolution
the raspi is actually pretty good about that, you plug your TV in and you're good
worst case scenario, you have to fiddle with overscan (and it is a little bit of a bitch, but usually you just shave 32px from each side and you're done with it, you'd probably only need to do that if you plugged in over composite on a CRT)

The $5 is off the mark and you actually end up with the price of around $25 total if you try to give it all the connectivity the original Pi has.
It runs the lions share of standard Linux software and does it fine though. I can use mine as an ordinary desktop computer, I just have better machines around.

>why not use a regular desktop
power consumption, size, cost
you can also run the thing off of batteries with a tad bit of effort (or like, $20)

also, people tend to use them as massively overpowered microcontrollers
>>
>>51694105

Batteries? Now all we need is a screen.

Cant we build tiny laptops with it?
>>
>>51694105
all those african kids with HDMI enabled tvs
>>
>>51693803
You see those pins sticking out of it? use them and program your own application to control what is attached to them. The Pi should be seen as an embedded device, not a computer.
>>
>>51693803
Except for IoT stuff, but yeah pretty worthless for the narrow minded.
>>
>>51694131
kind of wish those screens I keep seeing for it were a tad cheaper, would be a fun little project to make a laptop out of one
the fact that I can get a shitty (but almost faster) netbook for the cost of building a Pi laptop is stopping me

being able to run the fucker on AA batteries would make it fantastic though

>>51694139
this is an issue, yes
solved by whoever is organizing the whole thing editing the boot configuration to output on composite and slap off overscan (you do it on one machine and copy the SD image)
it's not like said african kids are going to be setting the machines up themselves
>>
The Pi is not a Desktop computer.

Use it to learn about embedded linux, GPIO, UART, etc.

Don't use it for the typical bullshit you would use a desktop for. Noone said this would replace a desktop, stop raging about this and go be unproductive somewhere else.
>>
I have 2 of the newer rev2s.
One is "smart" function for my tv. Including kodi, netfix, youtube, and emulators.

The other i set up at work as a server that holds some automation tools.
>>
The point of the Raspberry Pi is to teach programming to students at a very low price point.
>>
My eventual plan for when these become easier to use is to make it into a boost controller/wideband AFR gauge/diagnostic tool with a little touchscreen in my car. Would make for a pretty neat little gadget, being able to control boost and tuning profiles without having to plug an actual computer into the car.
>>
If you want to know what a pain in the ass building a owning a linux machine in 1995, you could get some value out of the Pi
>>
>>51693803
Android phones are not programmable like the Pi is supposed to be.
>>
>>51694286
That sounds fun. Do you have experience in programming embedded computers?
>>
>>51693886

This is what an actual setup looks like
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 400x400
>>51693803

I set mine up as a dedicated python study center. CLI only, it was super comfy.

Then my wife called me a neckbear, and started fucking the neighbor. So I had to stop.
>>
>>51694566

>calling me a neckbear
>neckbear
>>
>>51694566

>neckbear
>>
You've never operated a server, have you?
>>
>>51694719
Wait, a server is a full blown xeon workstation with a $600 Microsoft Server 2012 license, that can ONLY do one thing like be a file server, if you want any sort of stability.

No way a $35 pi could reproduce Microsoft Technology. You linux loons are out of your minds.
>>
>>51694917

This
>>
If you already have all the plugs you need it's a pretty good deal.

And with the GPIO pins you can construct awesome gadgets with very little knowledge of electronics.
>>
>>51694917

gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>51694226
Wait, which netbooks are comparable in price (after peripherals and such)?
>>
>>51693803
5 dollars my ass, you need
>wifi
<$2
>memory card
I have a bunch lying around, SD has been around for quite a while
>wireless keyboard/mouse module
No
>power adapter
No
>case for the unit itself
No
>and so on
No
>>
>>51695360

>power adapter : No

Are you Dr.Manhattan?
>>
>>51695384
My monitor has USB ports on it
>>
I have one used as a 3D print server. Since it's so common I can just download a SD image that has everything I need and not have to waste time on configuration just to get running.
>>
>>51694917 #
you can do what ever you want, i have although a minecraft server running on my pi, also an nas-server and an ap
>>
my only arch machine right now is the rPi2.
>>
>>51693803
I've seen people make some really neat "retro game consoles" with Pi's on YouTube, that's about it in terms of stuff I'd actually use (AFAIK its only source of storage is the SD card you put in, which could be dreadful for a server). Although at that point, you're pretty much paying money to pirare, which is silly.

I ended up buying an Arduino board instead back when RadioShack was sinking, I feel like that's a more useless purchase than a Pi, though I bet it'll become really useful if I decide to really get into circuits. Are there any good uses for Arduinos?
>>
>>51693803
Automation
Programming
Seed box
Server
Media centre
VPN
Micro controller
And you can do that all with one pi and swap out multiple SD cards, thanks OP for proving how useless it is by telling us that you need to connect it to things to make it work
>>
>>51695423
>minecraft server running on my Pi
Pi 1 or 2? If 1, how do you cope with all the:
Can’t keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
and the slow world rendering?
>>
>>51693803
>muh cheap home server
It's an absolutely terrible server and the speed makes you want to kill yourself
>>
>>51695481

Robotics and RC
>>
>>51694188
This guy gets it
>>
>>51695465
Question for you or others that may know.

Is Raspbian the ONLY OS/distro for the Pi that can access the GPIO pins via the standard python library?

I wanted to run arch on my Pi when it comes in, but I'm going to need access to the GPIO
>>
>buy "super cheap pc" $35 and now $5
>Buy case, 20 bucks
>Buy WiFi dongle 10
>buy touchscreen for 100 bucks that worst 30 at most
>do one or two projects with it then have it laying around
>>
>>51695423
> minecraft
Haha, slow even you are alone on your unmoved server
>nas
Oh I see now, you are okay with things moving at speeds from 2002
>>
>>51695563
that's funny anon.

why do you think that would be the case?
>>
>>51695563
Never tested it myself because I don't use the GPIO ports, but Arch Linux ARM is pretty decent and there is a package for GPIO stuff:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Raspberry_Pi#GPIO
>>
theyre interesting. you could make a little dedicated cluster for certain tasks. most of my ideas are shady, thats why i havent bought one. i used to dream about this kinda stuff 10-15 years ago. now its a thing and most dgaf. go figure.
>>
>>51695540
Can you run a very light server off one though, or is it pretty useless outside of being a controller? I've been considering getting rid of it, but if it potentially has the same uses as the Pi then I might still give it a shot
>>
>>51695595
Yeah if you stuck 10 together maybe you'd approach the speed of a modern cpu... Cluster idea is only useful for training

Like most things with this, projects and learning.
>>
I could install one in my car.
>>
>>51694566
>and started fucking the neighbor
so you're into cluckholding, or just neutered?
>>
>minecraft server
>on a low-end android processor
>1gb ram

Autism sure is strong in this thread
>>
>>51695668
no, you wouldnt need 10. 4 tops if you were even to go the cluster route. i used to pass off tasks to an old compaq pasario tower running 500mhz celeron next to my desk that ran an irc client as well. as time passed it became possible to run off onboard video in nix and pass the tasks directly to a higher end video card.

letting a pi sit and do it's thing performing whatever you need done with very low power consumption would be pretty efficient i would imagine. with a multiplying effect if you decided to make a cluster. even if it takes a week. youve got a dedicated little machine on a single board.
>>
If you don't want one, don't get one.
I mean they fill a very small niche where you want something small and cheap but more powerful than an atmega.
In reality you have to pay for an SD card and a power source but if you are just getting one so you can teach your child programming, you probably have those things lying around.
It is a lot cheaper than a lot of alternative development boards but I would personally prefer to keep using the arm+fpga boards I use now for my embedded projects.
It is cool that everyone knows about raspberry pi and it has a community on the same scale as arduino.
>>
>>51695848

Question is, you want to teach a kid programming, why not use the desktop/laptop you already own?
What is the point?
>>
I put arch on mine and plugged it into a hdd to make a little media server using MPD (remember to set to usb power in the config file) it also hosts a little LAN blog for me and my flatmates to use, p fun to configure all in all
>>
>>51695877
if you fuck up with a pi you can just format the sd card
>>
>>51695921
does it stay powered?

tried it with osmc, but the external sometimes went unmounted. but that might have been because i was using it with hdmi and not headless.
>>
>>51695790
No. You'd need 10-20 pi2s to get performance similar to an i5. And the i5 can run anything and wouldn't have to bother with distributing the load over a cluster.

Sure, the rpi is very efficient though. It just has woefully slow ports and that kill most of the usefulness.
>>
My computing students think it's amazing, its a useful showpiece to get them interested. My pi zero hangs on a lanyard round my neck, that's all I'll use it for, if I need to actually do stuff with one, Ill use a model b. If I have an actual project, I'll probably use an arduino.
>>
>>51693803
>keyboard/mouse module, power adapter, case for the unit itself and so on
Not using it to make intresting projects
What?
>>
>>51694917
> i want to remain slave to m$/google/apple/dropbox
Shittiest bait i ever saw
>>
by year 2020 we will have $5 pc that can emulate most consoles up to PS2
>>
>>51693803
>The performance is what you could get from a 30$ android smartphone and the phone already has all you need by factory
sure let me just plug the ethernet cable into my $30 Andro...oh
>>
The only thing I needed was the power adapter, which was like $5

That puts the price of my Orange Pi PC at $20 :^)

Cheaper than your hypothetical Android phone and it doesn't run a phone OS
>>
>>51696125
^This guy gets it

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uEY58fiSK8E

http://makezine.com/2015/12/03/gamer-uses-raspberry-pi-zero-cram-entire-game-console-old-xbox-controller/
>>
>>51693803
Fun, and mini projects you want to keep isolated.

YOU have no point to buying one.
>>
On my rpi, I've installed win98 and running very old games. It's more powerful than my machine from 00's.
>>
>>51695534
What the fuck were you hosting?
I run a lamp stack on mine and it works just fine.
>>
>>51696177
>win98
Wtf

Do you they have a x86 emulator?
>>
>>51696177
>win 98
Fucking liar, Microsoft hates arm as much as they hate money. They would never do something that nice.
>>
>>51696210
He is probably talking about DOSBox
>>
If you can't do it, it doesn't mean that this can't be done.
>>
File: Bug_560.jpg (218 KB, 560x387) Image search: [Google]
Bug_560.jpg
218 KB, 560x387
Well "only $5" is clearly aimed towards the Pi Zero, not the Pi 2 Model B that you've posted a picture of, you must be new to the game.

As for why it's useful, because it's a computer for $5. Now where you seem to slipping up is that you're thinking of it as a DESKTOP computer. The Pi Zero could certainly be a great learning tool for basic programming (which, by the way, is exactly what "those african kids" are doing), but for us, it's a fantastic embedded platform. I ordered 3 the day they got announced (had a tip from an inside man to be ready to order), here's what I'm using them for:

1. LED based pixel art frame, based on the popular KickStarter product the "Game Frame" by Jamie Williams (pic related)

2. Simple white noise generator with an alarm clock. My fan broke, it's basically winter but I can't sleep without the noise of the fan, until now! And it's my alarm, pretty neat.

3. Prototyping setup hooked up to a breadboard, simply to see if I can find interesting uses for it similar to what I would use an Arduino with.

You're imagination is the only limitation, and until you stop thinking of it as a desktop computer, yours is limiting you pretty fucking low.
>>
>>51696231
>Microsoft hates arm as much as they hate money
Microsoft is making Windows 10 IoT for the RPi 2

At least know what you're saying before you say it
>>
File: 1442006525200.gif (490 KB, 350x198) Image search: [Google]
1442006525200.gif
490 KB, 350x198
>>51696268
schooled?
>>
>>51696199
Files
I'd want it to go faster than a slow 100mbps Ethernet on a shared USB controller
>>
I'm using one (in Africa) as a media player for my dumb TV using plex. Shit's dank.

I also have another one that I'm building up to be a lap counter/race controller for slot cars. Shit's dank.
>>
>>51696139
It's not like the Ethernet on a pi is going to be faster than WiFi anyways.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-05+at+02.20.11).jpg (267 KB, 1211x709) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-05+at+02.20.11).jpg
267 KB, 1211x709
anyone know if these are decent? I kind of want to make a portable handheld one.
>>
>>51696519
They're probably similar to the Orange Pi PC (Quadcore, 1GB RAM, etc) and those are $15

Check those out
>>
How is the Pi 2 Model B with watching 720p/1080p/Dvdr5/9 files?
>>
>>51694704
did you draw that just for this thread?
>>
File: 1399319231311.jpg (3 MB, 3300x2180) Image search: [Google]
1399319231311.jpg
3 MB, 3300x2180
Do you think I would be able to fit any of the orange pi boards into an empty Nintendo Dsi XL shell and add a keyboard and buttons?
>>
File: 1424452914654.jpg (104 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
1424452914654.jpg
104 KB, 500x354
>>51696533

Do you think the mini, or maybe one of the larger boards would fit into a Nintendo DSI XL shell?

I'm thinking of building a portable emulation machine with my nephew by installing 2 psp joysticks and a small keyboard in the middle.
>>
>>51696589
>>51696609

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ZrE0pvNz4
>>
File: pi 0.png (125 KB, 589x491) Image search: [Google]
pi 0.png
125 KB, 589x491
WOOOOOOOOOOW
>>
>>51696668
Yeah I can put a penny on eBay for $10 too
>>
>>51696668
Typical eu
But it's not even availible now so the price will go down to 100kr or so I think
>>
>>51696704
Yeah you're probably right, otherwise it's never gonna sell when you can get a B+ for just another 80 kr.

>>51696696
Go to bed murica
>>
>>51693886
>held together using clear tape
disgusting, at least put it in a proper case or something
>the pi is in case
then why the fuck would you run it like this?
>>
>>51696779
muh AIO
>>
>>51693803
>5 dollars my ass, you need wifi, memory card, wireless keyboard/mouse module, power adapter, case for the unit itself
hol up
why do you need a keyboard/mouse, wifi adapter, power adapter, and case?
plug the ethernet and usb (for power) into your router, set the pi down next to it, and relax man
just ssh into it
only cost is the microsd card if you don't have a spare
>>
Banana pi's banana pro is where it us at if you are looking for network functionality rather than output. I use banana pros for all sorts of network controlled fun such as my home integrated nas server. All my pic, music and movies/videos can be played on any device on my network including smart tvs and sound systems. One monitors my security system and if it's tripped all my wall embedded tablets that control room lights, speakers, etc. start recording with their front facing cams which have plastic fisheyed lenses tacd on top with a little clear silicone. One downloads my TV shows the moment they are availabke. The security one also sends me a text through email when someone is at the door and my phone is not on the home WiFi assuming I am not there so I can see who is at my door with the door cam. Many may fun things to do and automate around your house with the little buggers.
>>
>>51696609

Would be pretty sweet to see a full fledged linux machine running in a DS case
>>
File: pi zero.jpg (36 KB, 600x428) Image search: [Google]
pi zero.jpg
36 KB, 600x428
>>51696850
Using what ethernet port? (yeah the OP is an idiot)

You'll need a mini USB to USB and wireless adapter, or mini USB to ethernet adapter to be able to do anything at all
>>
>>51696850
zero doesn't have ethernet, you have to buy a usb otg adapter and a ethernet adapter
which ends up doubling the amount you spent on the thing
>>
>>51697057

So conveniant.

So basically you will.get a bunch of tangled wires all pulling around a 2x3 circuit board.

What a time to be alive
>>
File: scam much.jpg (286 KB, 1559x1148) Image search: [Google]
scam much.jpg
286 KB, 1559x1148
>>51696668
Shit, I saw several on ebay yesterday for over a hundred bucks...
>>
I just want a Raspberry Pi with ECC and a few SATA ports so I can build a cheapass low-powered NAS.
>>
>>51697039
>>51697057
Pity they didn't add a USB type C port to the thing.
Not nearly as ubiquitous as micro-B but the standard has existed since USB 3.0 and the Pi Zero would give it a real kick in the ass, in terms of widespread support.
>>
>>51696668
>>51697203
There's nothing wrong in doing this. You're free to choose the price you want to sell an item for.
>>
>>51697182
You could always do this: http://hackaday.com/2015/11/28/first-raspberry-pi-zero-hack-piggy-back-wifi/

But yeah... the PI should have a built-in BT+WiFi
>B-but its so cheap
A cheap BT adapter cost about 75 cents on ebay, while a wifi adapter costs about $2, they would be able to get it even cheaper.
>>
>>51697228
It's still a shitty thing to do, especially when they left the $5 price tag on it, then call it "affordable for any project."
>>
>>51697228

In my country in eastern europe you get those shits at retailers for about 45 euros.
Cocksuckers
>>
>>51693803
>and the phone already has all you need by factory

Lol?

Dipshit.
>>
>>51693803
>need to plug it in to a monitor
Lol no
>>
Raspberry Pi running with 3W at max a full year costs me like 10 bucks. Now imagine something that needs way more than 3W and what that would cost me. There is no cheaper solution for me with what I can do with it. Cloud, Mumbleserver, Testserver, Radiostation (with low quality but hey) and the price is nice.
>>
>>51697336
this my Orange Pi's HDMI port was never penetrated
>>
>>51695523
Pi 1 B here, I know this problem but I don't pay attention to it. This is normal and it still works "ok". Not great but ok. Biggest problem is, that the player can not got far from each other. Anyways it kinda works and that is fine.
>>
The point of the raspberry pi is so those snobby English twats who 'invented' it can make a nice living off their 'charity' and constantly jet off around the world to have their ego pampered by boring nerds
>>
I'm using one to automatically reply "dude lmao" everytime my weed obsessed friends start showing off again.
It's really easy with Telegram CLI
>>
>>51696165
I'd sue anyone who called me a "gamer" >:(
>>
>>51693803
where can you buy a raspi for $5? Ive only seen them for $30
>>
>>51697775
it's a new model the "zero"
>>
>>51696519
Used an XU for project.

Pros:
- Then really fast
- GPU
- IR for remote control
- I2S

Cons:
- Takes weeks to arrive, only ships from 1 location in Korea
- A5's are pretty common and the thing is getting old, you may get a better deal with orange pi or the like
- eMMC is expensive compared to SD
>>
>>51697228
They few retailers that have them in Germany somehow have set the price to 15 euros...
Also usually ~10eur shipping which makes it a bad deal whatsoever... The model B2 is much more available (at 30) and ships for 5...
>>
File: 1444905950162.jpg (166 KB, 960x867) Image search: [Google]
1444905950162.jpg
166 KB, 960x867
>>51697007

I'm planning to make one, but everything is up in the air since I haven't decided on a board or screen to use.

I'll probably use a teensy and setup the buttons/joysticks as a HID

if I can't find a decent touch screen or tiny keyboard+trackpad I'll set up a psp joystick to use as a mouse.
>>
>>51693803
>There is literally no fucking point to Raspberry Pi
>literally no point
>literally
at first i thought you wanted to have a meaningful discussion, but i see you're in just for the trolling.
>>
>>51695409
the fuck? my PiB+ won't run with less than 700mAh, screen usb ports can't provide more than 500 mah, that shit resets every few minutes.
>>
If I bought a ton of these zeros, (plus a few switches and a router) would it be possible to host a LAN party for Quake 3 Arena [+CPMA]?
500MB space, 64MB RAM, can run on any shitty processor, and only 8MB of VRAM.
>>
>>51699910
You can use openarena instead. You can install debian or gentoo to achieve that.
>>
The broadcom chip inside has a module solely to set the correct resolution OP, you should at least try to do a bit research before talking about something, it makes you look ignorant.
>>
>>51699937
But CPMA. It needs to be CPMA. I can't explain why, but it needs to be.
I got Q3A working on Arch, but yeah, installing Gentoo on a bunch of Pi Zeros.. would.. be good, I guess. Just long.
Really though, I've been meaning to set up a LAN for a while now. I've got a small (~20) selection of people at my campus interested who play Quake Live (normie shit but whatever) who'd be willing to play a CPMA LAN.

Also, about the network card- how does it work on a Pi?
>>
>>51693803
You only need to pay for those things if you want a desktop.
>>
>want to buy a zero to learn some embedded ARM programming
>sold out
fuck
It's literally the only chip that costs so little with so much performance.
>>
>>51699698
Use 2 ports then.
>>
>>51696268
>1. LED based pixel art frame, based on the popular KickStarter product the "Game Frame" by Jamie Williams (pic related)
PIC or Atmega could do that easily.
>2. Simple white noise generator with an alarm clock. My fan broke, it's basically winter but I can't sleep without the noise of the fan, until now! And it's my alarm, pretty neat.
Same thing here
>3. Prototyping setup hooked up to a breadboard, simply to see if I can find interesting uses for it similar to what I would use an Arduino with.
Same thing again
At least do some robotics where you need to implement for example a bunch of kalman filters and PID controller so you actually make use of the RAM/processing.
>>
>>51699654
>I haven't decided on a board or screen to use.
Man screens are so goddamn expensive for what they do
You got any recommendations for screens that are just plug and play and doesn't cost an arm?
>>
>>51696704
>Typical eu
Raspberry pi is made in europe
>>
>>51697057
>zero doesn't have ethernet, you have to buy a usb otg adapter and a ethernet adapter
Or you could just use 10 GPIO pins and a $2 Ethernet module
>>
>>51700102

I know right? small panels with shitty resolutions seem to cost a lot.
>>
>>51700252
4" 480x320 in aliexpress are like 8$... arm and leg kek
>>
I use the A+'s to turn old radios into slimdevices/squeezeboxes. There might be a slightly less expensive way to do this now, but I've been doing this for a while and haven't really checked to see what other options are out there.
>>
File: DSCN0672z.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0672z.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1500
>>51700252
depends what you want - 3.5" touchscreens can be had for ~£10, 5" for ~£20

I think - that's about what I paid for mine.

not great resolutions, but very functional at that size.
>>
>>51695768
>android processor
Yup you are autism.
>>
>>51700363
Been wondering what you're doing with that Pi-cluster.
>>
>>51697208
Neither of those things are a requirement for a 'cheapass' Nas.
>>
>>51693803
>you need wifi, keyboard mouse, case
>implying you need anything other than a memory card and 5V

>muh smartphone
enjoy no GPIO

>who cares about size
weight and power draw are important

I think i'm being trolled XDDDDD
>>
>>51700094
>PID controller
>not using analog components

and AT mega costs more than $5 senpai
>>
>>51700363
didnt manage to get my hands on any touchscreens so far, any way to change the resolution or something on those?
>>
>>51697210
a usb 3.0 controller/assembly probably costs more than the entire pi zero
>>
>>51694226
but i am running mine on aa batteries
>>
>>51693803
Banana pi running android as media streaming center for tv.
>>
>>51700521
looking at the effect of certain reversible transformations on the entropy and compressability of data

boils down to creating 100s of thousands of files then compressing them and analyzing the resultant file sizes - sort of thing clusters are great at.
>>
>>51700647
maybe teh larger hdmi ones, the smaller ones have fairly simplistic controllers.

can't say I've tried anything beyond the native reses - 320x240 and 800x480
>>
>>51696563
You must be /g/nu here
>>
>>51700761
thanks p; can you also tell me, did you maybe get your rpi to freeze after a couple of days of uptime? i got mine overclocked on 1ghz but after like 3-4 days it freezes and i have to reboot
>>
>>51700536
What? If you're running a NAS without ECC you're fucking doing it wrong. And since you said "neither" you either meant it doesn't need SATA ports or it doesn't need to be low-power, both of which are retarded statements.
>>
>>51693803
yes there is no need.

it's a thing for when you're interested in.
>>
>>51696268
>(which, by the way, is exactly what "those african kids" are doing)
That's not going to help them get food or solve the many conflicts there though
>>
File: Untitled-3.jpg (347 KB, 1842x1047) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-3.jpg
347 KB, 1842x1047
>>51700818
naw, can't say I've had any bother with my always-on ones - can't remember if they are oc'd mind you

can't say the same for the olinuxino, that gives me nothing but bother.

you have heatsinks on them?
>>
>>51701047
How did you set the backgrounds of your terminal? That looks really really good, good job
>>
I'm not a programmer (yet). Well, i'm learning Python atm, but i don't know much about it, yet.
Would there be any reason for me to buy a Pi?
>>
>>51693803

"The idea behind a tiny and affordable computer for kids came in 2006, when Eben Upton, Rob Mullins, Jack Lang and Alan Mycroft, based at the University of Cambridge’s Computer Laboratory, became concerned about the year-on-year decline in the numbers and skills levels of the A Level students applying to read Computer Science. From a situation in the 1990s where most of the kids applying were coming to interview as experienced hobbyist programmers, the landscape in the 2000s was very different; a typical applicant might only have done a little web design."

>Africa
>>
File: Untitled-4.jpg (388 KB, 1569x1047) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-4.jpg
388 KB, 1569x1047
>>51701104
thats KiTTY - a putty fork under windows, can set per-session backgrounds, icons and stuff
>>
File: cubietruck_03.jpg (26 KB, 428x353) Image search: [Google]
cubietruck_03.jpg
26 KB, 428x353
I wish I could grab 2 cubic trucks and configure them as twin samba4 DCs for my home network.
>>
I used it to make my 3d printer wireless, with octopi, I no longer have to connect my computer until the print is finished, other than that, I wanted to make a mame arcade, but I heard there are other boards out there that work better for 64 and psx
>>
>>51693803
I use it as my backup dump server

Got freebsd on it

Literally takes sftp transfer for targz encrypted backups for nightly backups
>>
>>51701225
>cheap computers for third world kids
and thus a generation of african skiddies was born
>>
File: pcsplashnew.jpg (186 KB, 1200x803) Image search: [Google]
pcsplashnew.jpg
186 KB, 1200x803
>>51694131
The ppl at getchip.com sell some "netbookish" breakout board for their own single board computer built. Overall still 50$
>>
>>51693803

>There is literally no point in using one.

Is this your way of getting people to give you ideas on what do with yours? Probably would make a cheap jumpbox to get OOB access to your home LAN - or someone elses LAN . . .
>>
Mine is used as a seafile server. I can type up assignments and shit on my desktop and its immediately synced to my laptop when I open it and vice-versa. Even pics taken with my phone go straight to my desktop pics folder. Even if I forget to take my laptop to uni, I can access all my shit from any browser. Easily the best file syncing program out there.
>>
File: opi.jpg (193 KB, 710x710) Image search: [Google]
opi.jpg
193 KB, 710x710
Can Orange Pi be used as cheap desktop replacement?
quad core 1.6Ghz, can decode hevc 4k videos. built in ethernet, 3 usb2 ports.
Only 1gb ram though.
But at $15 I don't know why one wouldn't get an opi
>>
How do one know if you have RPi1B+ or Rpi2B? They look the same.
>>
>>51702185
How good is the decoder? Can it handle 4K both in H264 and HEVC? At what frame rate?
>>
Let's say i connect a Pi to my tv. is it possible to watch movies from streaming sites on it?
>>
File: XU4packagem.jpg (170 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
XU4packagem.jpg
170 KB, 500x384
What do you think about Odroid XU4

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

I'll use it for

Media center
Mediaserver
Samba File Server
Torrentbox
>>
File: 1406241343587.jpg (60 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1406241343587.jpg
60 KB, 600x600
>>51702517
You could get used MB with onboard CPU, PSU and stick of RAM for that price, any shitty case for free and it'll do these tasks much better.
>>
File: HHNNNNNNGGG.gif (1 MB, 243x228) Image search: [Google]
HHNNNNNNGGG.gif
1 MB, 243x228
>>51693803
>>
I was going to try to use one as a media server with RasPlex.
>>
Robotics. I've been working on building a robot that uses a jetson tk1 to control the motors and the raspberry pi for opencv.
>>
>>51693803
>you need wifi, memory card, wireless keyboard/mouse module, power adapter, case

$3 eBay wifi dongle
$4 sd card
$0 kb+mouse because remote server
$5 power adapter
$1 eBay case
>>
>>51693803
Arduino can only run C/C++ and the likes of Python make it far easier for beginners to make shit.
>>
>>51693803
Please tell me why these don't have DDR4 1gig?
>>
>>51693803
Listen cunt.

You need to understand this vital concept of a "use case".

The Pi, or any other SoC like it, is not a desktop replacement. If that's what you're after, build/buy a frigging desktop.

Use a Pi for something like a home server etc. If you're sitting on it with a mouse and keyboard just because you can, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>51702185
Which one of these is the best anyway? There's like 3 of them?
>>
>>51703057
pi2+ has the most features but is out of stock.
They all haave the same soc. but you could go with pi+ which is same as regular but with extra usb, sata and wifi module
>>
>>51701047
yeah i have two heatsinks, i was even thinking of putting a fan via gpio but the temp never went above 58 while in strained usage so i never bothered
>>
That's the $35 model, OP.

Also if you have to come out and complain about this kind of thing you're probably not cut out for technology and probably have never used linux.

dumb frogposter too I'd bet
>>
File: 1429733063148.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
1429733063148.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
>>51693803
There is literally no fucking point to your post.
Go be a raging faggot somewhere else and let people who actually know shit about computing and GPIO enjoy a powerful, power-saving mini-computer for embedded application.
>>
>>51702579
But I want to throw that thing behind my TV set and forget about it.
>>
What is Windows IOT and what can I do with it? Sorry to ask but all I get when I try to search about it are apps apps buzzwords apps.
>>
This is freaking sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwg4JfRPClo
>>
>>51700709
>using cat maid waifus for legitimate science

I salute you anon
>>
>>51693803
>5 dollars my ass, you need wifi, memory card, wireless keyboard/mouse module, power adapter, case for the unit itself and so on
assuming you're just stupid and not trolling.. i have sd/microsd + adapters laying around so memory was pretty much free, but even then its like $20 for a huge sd card so its basically a non issue. you don't need wifi/keyboard/mouse or a case, mine is just sitting in the kitchen hooked up to my router by ethernet. they're really nice and convenient for setting up a small server and learning about networking, and its especially helpful to have a dedicated linux machine i can ssh into and mess around with linux without having to actually install it on my desktop or macbook pro
>>
>>51695618
Arduinos are great for controlling a cornucopia of different things. Look up some projects involving them, they can be very useful. As for the web server, my only experience is by using the Ethernet Shield and getting some live feedback from a temperature/humidity sensor.
>>
>>51695934
You can't format a hard drive?
>>
>>51696696
muh thats about the price they are ging for in germany to
>>
>>51697203
I love how they kept the original description
AFFORDABLE 135$ dear lord
>>
>>51704727
NO hard drives are single use
you can overwrite the userdata but you cant format the OS section
you could get a hybrid drive they have solid state OS sections wich means you can replace the OS section if you mess up but they cost more and replacment OS sections arent that cheap either
>>
>>51693803
>you need wifi
no you dont

>memory card
you seriously dont have a fuckton of these?

>wireless keyboard/mouse module
no you dont idiot, its called ssh you stupid fuck. Im just going to stop here since youve proved yourself to be a completely useless cunt
>>
>>51700044
/thread
>>
>>51701307
>2 cubic trucks
>>
>>51704960
I don't keep spares. I have one in my phone and one in my tablet. How many memory cards is a person supposed to have?

>ssh
So you mean to install, setup and use the pi completely without any peripherals?
Not everyone wants to SSH.

>no wifi
Have fun trailing a 15m Ethernet cable from your pi to your modem.
>>
>>51705175
>Not everyone wants to SSH.
youre incredibly dumb if ssh is any sort of issue at all

>Have fun trailing a 15m Ethernet cable from your pi to your modem.
are you seriously that incredibly retarded that you think its standard procedure to run ethernet from a computer straight to a modem?
>>
>>51693803
If I was a terrorist I would integrate one of these into every one of my bombs to make it tamper-proof
>>
>>51705347
>not running ethernet into the modern

So then you do need wifi :')

>SSH
>Still believing you don't need a keyboard and mouse
Have fun setting up your pi without any peripherals.
>>
>Use an old stinkpad x220 for VPN and dev server for side projects
>Use rpi2 for intranet stuff like media server and file backup (rpi2 connected to 2TB external)
>that good feel when perfect and cheap setup
>>
>>51705428
let me guess, youre entire home network was setup by your ISP

Clearly your comments show you have a complete lack of ability to comprehend basic networking

>Have fun setting up your pi without any peripherals.
you mean how most people do it?
>>
>>51696177
how are you getting any decent performance with 98?

fucking Windows 3.1 runs a bit slowly on my pi
>>
>>51700656
you don't actually need to run USB3 over a type-C port, they're separate standards
>>
>>51705493
Let me guess, you're a neet who spends all day ricing his Linux build and then showing off how he can SSH into a shitty pi to anyone who dares walk into his basement?
>>
>>51705669
> showing off how he can SSH

ssh user@ip

WOW SUCH IMPRESS VERY SHOW OFF
>>
>>51704855
>os section
what the fuck are you talking about?

just overwrite the partition the OS is installed on, if you aren't an idiot then your files will be on a separate partition so you don't need to worry about that
>>
>>51705889
You'd honestly be surprised at some neets who think they're tech gods because they can use cli and ssh.

I've met a couple.
>>
>>51704855
>cant format the OS section

are you for real?
>>
>>51705511
It's because of drivers. Try making your own.
>>
Guys, pls: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/picade
>>
Should I get a beagle bone or arduino? Why does everyone fall for the rpi meme? Why isn't there a general for these things?
>>
>>51706210
The screen looks shooped.
>>
>>51700363
oh hey it's you. can i see more of your setup?
>>
>>51706353
What about odroid or orange pi pc?
>>
>>51706475
Those could work but I know less about them. I just wanna learn and make some neat projects
>>
>>51700363
How are these powered?
>>
>>51706512
With electricity
>>
I'm thinking of building a portable mp4 player with some spare 18650s I have laying around.
Would a rpi and a cheap touch screen off eBay do the job?
Or an orange pi pc? I'm feeling a little cheap and the Australian dollar is fucked.
>>
Average consumer sheep sharing thoughts about DIY hardware - The ebin thread
>>
>>51693886
neat. I'm building the same thing right now.
>>
>>51706576
Obviously, thank you. I'm more thinking about which ports, GPIO or through the USB port.
>>
>>51703820
"HEY WHATS UP EVERYBODY"
no
>>
>>51693803
>>muh performance
>The performance is what you could get from a 30$ android smartphone and the phone already has all you need by factory
/thread.
>>
File: 81a1fCEMGAL._SL1500_.jpg (89 KB, 1500x1067) Image search: [Google]
81a1fCEMGAL._SL1500_.jpg
89 KB, 1500x1067
>>51706512
usb though one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Family-Sized-Charger-Technology-AX-TPCS/dp/B00OJ79UK6
>>
>>51693803
Oh no I'm not creative enough to make use of a thing. Better start a thread about my incompetence!

Fuck you try and contribute something.

I use mine as a mumble server. Which doesn't require any more shit than I have lying around. I use my other for Kodi on a TV. Sorry I didn't buy a whole desktop to make you happy OP.

> Needing an outlet
> Needing a monitor
What is a battery and small LCD screen?
>inb4 wahhh that's too hard and expensive
>>
>>51707645
Thank you.
>>
>>51706622
That would do unless the batteries aren't regulated then you might need a few other chips.
>>
>>51707725
no worries
>>
>>51693803
I used the zero to create a battery powered dropbox. It can last for days before I have to pick it up.
>>
>>51706622
nice article quoted here on the topic

http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/35/what-do-i-need-to-know-to-power-from-batteries
>>
>>51693803
I use most of my raspberry pis as headless linux systems.

They work great.

I have one hooked up to a monitor and it is just displaying my twitter notifications
>>
>>51696268
This is what autism looks like
>>
>>51707758
My only issue is finding a good step up circuit.
Nothing off eBay will do as far as I can tell, and I've tried parallel step up circuits, 5x 0.5a for a power bank but they didn't play well with each other.

Is dx any good? They cost a little more but I'm worried it's just the same Chinese junk as ebay.
>>
>>51707909
On what planet do you think it is normal to post on a tech board and then all you do is talk shit about the actual interesting things people do with tech?

Fuck off you meme spewing literal piece of trash, what you are interested in is obviously not technology. Maybe because you are too stupid to actually do anything interesting.
>>
Can the raspberry pi decode 1080p video without lag? If yes, to what bitrate?
>>
It's not great. It's nice for applications where a single-board computer is appropriate, but moron "makers" keep putting it in all sorts of crap where a computer is totally unnecessary.
>>
>>51701162
No.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-06-11-46-34.png (872 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-06-11-46-34.png
872 KB, 1440x2560
>>51707987
Forgot to include pic.
This is supposedly rated for 1.2a constant and a peak of 2.5a.
Should be fine for a pi if it bloody works.
Gone through too much shit from eBay to trust these.
>>
>>51693886
L O N D O N

O

N

D

O

N
>>
Apparently, you can connect Raspberry Pis together into one Beowulf cluster, which basically behaves like a single, more powerful computer. If I linked like 10-20 Pis together, could I get a decent desktop system?
>>
>>51708967
No. 64 slow cores is still slower than 4 fast cores.
>>
>>51708967
>could I get a decent desktop system?
no
>>
>>51709193
Is it because of the limited bandwidth and high latency between cores?
>>
>>51709310
both.

And all the cores together don;t even add up to a modern PC, for the same price.

And most CPU tasks can't be split up across different machines.
>>
>>51693803

>you need wifi

Why? Models A, B+, and 2 have an Ethernet port.

>wireless keyboard/mouse module,

Why? Have they stopped selling wired ones in the three hours since I personally saw them for sale at Walmart?

>power adapter

If you have an Android phone, or other USB charged device, then you already have the means to power it.

>case for the unit itself

A case may protect the unit, and look nicer, but you don't actually need it to make the unit work.

The Android phone doesn't make it easy for you to experiment like the Pi. In fact, chances are the manufacturer has done what it could to at least discourage you from doing so.

>So what? You still need to plug into a fucking power outlet and monitor, why not use a regular desktop

Or you could power it by battery via a USB battery charging unit. It only takes around 5 volts. It's perfectly feasible to build (or convert) a solar powered battery charger.

There are small LCD panels available for it, and other such devices. Tontec's 10.1 one is very nice looking and fairly cheap for the picture quality it offers

Chalkboard Electronics offer even nicer ones--high quality multi touch screens--that are easier (not that Tontec's are difficult) to use out of the box, albeit they cost more, and have to be shipped from Malaysia.

Also, touchscreen technology isn't as complex as you might think. Any LCD/LED could be turned into one fairly cheaply, and easily--in theory anyway, as the housing of many monitors and TV's are too small to readily accommodate an added touchscreen overlay.

>cheap computers for poor countries

Afterthought, probably thought up by marketing. The actual point is cheap, portable computers for embedded projects. It's for hobbyists and tinkerers. Anyone who actually wants one primarily as a daily-use PC, is fucking retarded.
>>
>>51693803
>phone already has all you need by factory
as well as a closed, useless os
>>
File: pcduino3.jpg (259 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
pcduino3.jpg
259 KB, 1000x1000
>>51694131

I'm building a homebrew tablet, but not out of a Pi. Aside from it's video capability, and larger (and very open and helpful) community, it's not that great. The Banana Pi, Odroid, Humming Board, Radxa, Beagle Bone Black, Parallela, Cubie Board, Udoo, etc. If you prefer x86 to Arm, Intel makes the Galileo boards.

I went with the PCDuino. It's not the only board with a SATA port, but it's one of the only ones that can boot from it--a SATA laptop HD or SSD is superior to SD cards and eMMC in performance and storage capacity.

Like the Intel Galileo boards, it's designed to be a small, basic PC with built in Arduino capabilities. As a PC it's a bit more powerful than the Raspberry Pi, and more closer to par with commercially available tablets and smartphones. It's pretty much compatible with any Arduino or Raspberry Pi shields too.
>>
>>51710118
Fug that looks sexy
>>
>>51708967
Your daily programs won't work on a cluster system.
>>
>>51694139
You do realize this isn't geared for african kids yet right?

They released it with the sole purpose of someone somewhere coming up with a brilliant idea of putting it all together so then in return they can use that to make copies and sell them.

They know how to make the boards but want different people to work with it.

So in the future there might be someone who might need a programming specific pc and they can roll that out or some other market where they might need "facebook" machines and they can roll those out.
>>
>>51693803
Show me a better machine for openFrameworks
>>
>>51708967
Desktop system? Nah. More Pis won't help you. You could use a Pi as a desktop and browse the internet/go on IRC/play music (it's not nearly as bad as you'd expect, at least on a Pi 2 -- the Pi 1 models are noticeably slow and choke to death when doing too many things at once, Pi 2's 4 cores actually help, your browser might be locked up or some shit, but you can still open a terminal and kill it), but you probably have at least 3 devices within arms reach that would do that better on every level.
Your phone might make a better desktop.

You could probably actually use the sheer amount of cores to do shit (with 20 Pi 2s, you could probably do video encoding maybe, 80 ARM cores might actually be more than competitive with your desktop for that, video encoding is pretty parallelizable), and maybe even use portions as a normal computer (eg, running single, mildly intensive programs on one Pi), but really, you're limited by the fact that making a Beowulf cluster out of Pis is really only particularly good for batch processing of data, and the low performance of each Pi doesn't help you.

So, no, but you could encode video with a stack of Pis and not want to kill yourself (a normal desktop setup might be better in some situations though, especially when the overhead of getting the data to/from the Pis is greater than the large speed benefit of massively parallelizing your encode)

Actually, now I'm curious. What the fuck would someone on /g/ run on a large cluster of Pis?
>>
>>51712138
>Desktop system? Nah. More Pis won't help you.
I actually once forgot to being my laptop with me, and had to use my RPi while staying with my parents.
Browsing 4chan on a rev1 B (256MB RAM) was surprisingly tolerable, so long as I didn't open a bunch of tabs.
A RPi2 makes a perfectly serviceable deskop for webbrowsing etc.

>You could probably actually use the sheer amount of cores to do shit (with 20 Pi 2s, you could probably do video encoding maybe, 80 ARM cores might actually be more than competitive with your desktop for that, video encoding is pretty parallelizable),
I suspect the performance per dollar is pretty shit.
>>
>>51694704
how long have you been waiting to post that picture anon?
>>
>>51712222
>I suspect the performance per dollar is pretty shit.
oh baby yes it is
pretty sure anyone here could set up a decent rig on a $700 budget (cost of 20 RasPi 2s, we're ignoring the cost of ethernet cables. SD cards, and power supplies for the Pis -- all pretty cheap items, but x20 makes it a fair chunk of change in your budget)

If you're interested in dabbling with distributed computing and using hardware, it's a great idea and sounds like a very fun project. If you're trying to put them to real work, you could do better for less, maybe even much less.

Pi Zeros don't help too much with price (if you could get any) because of the lack of networking and lack of cores (they are slightly faster than the older Pi 1 models, at least).
The lower performance and somewhat similar cost of the other Pi models don't make things better, the Pi 2 has the best cost/power ratio of the entire RasPi lineup.

you could totally get better cost/performance than the RasPi with say, the Orange Pi ($300 for 20 of the $15 model)
and that could definitely be a fun project that might actually work out, quick lazy guesstimate of $14 for power, ethernet, and SDs for each board would total it to $580 with everything
>>
Has anyone tried the flirc dongle? I need something more convenient to control my rpi+kodi box with.
>>
>>51696273
>Microsoft is making Windows 10 IoT for the RPi 2
And it's the shittest OS ever devised for the rpi. It's the gayest thing since Barbara Streisand.
>>
>>51712816
you can use your phone for it via wifi/network
>>
>>51700044
Are you connecting USB ports in parallel? Are you a fucking idiot by any chance?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.