[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it impossible to run GNU/Linux on laptops in 2015? What happens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: 1442775082901.png (46 KB, 804x906) Image search: [Google]
1442775082901.png
46 KB, 804x906
Is it impossible to run GNU/Linux on laptops in 2015?
What happens when our old thinkpads are too slow/break down?
I know the XPS line kinda supports ubuntu, but what about other distros, or other dell models?
We need to compile a list of post 2014 laptops that fully support all distros.
>>
>>51691273
Debian + rMBP reporting in
>>
>>51691273
>Is it impossible to run GNU/Linux on laptops in 2015?
What? I never got this memo.
>>
>>51691311
i see no reason why it shouldnt run except stuff like wifi and maybe graphics, etc...
>>
What are you on about?

My Thinkpad T440p and X250 both support Linux like a fucking boss
>>
>>51691311
WiFi not working, secure boot, UEFI problems, sometimes hardware acceleration doesn't work and a host of other problems.
Most of these, like secure boot, are actually required by Microsoft.
>>
>>51691367
Newer thinkpads are even more overpriced than Macs are though.
And none of them are as rugged as the pre *20 models
>>

lol, xubuntu on my thinkpad works fantastic.

I believe it should be quite the other way around.

Is this post one of the those meme things?
>>
>>51691425
Read the OP moron
>>
>>51691333
From my experiencie, I always had more problems runing gnu/linux in laptops for some reason.

+ I Heard the battery life is worse (I personally dont know since I usually dont go to far from the power socket
>>
File: smug2.png (87 KB, 672x703) Image search: [Google]
smug2.png
87 KB, 672x703
>>51691442

My bad, onii-chan.
>>
>>51691445
Battery life is worse with laptops with dedicated graphics (if you're lucky enough to get them to work somehow) but with powerTOP, tlp and all the other great battery saving and diagnostic tools that linux has, usually battery life is better.
If you're compiling your own kernel you can have even further battery savings by not enabling shit you don't need and saving CPU cycles.
Are shitty chromebooks our only hope?
>>51691292
I found linux to be very finicky on macs. The bootloader and mobo firmware really aren't made to support it
>>
>>51691273
bump
>>
OP is just a winfag falseflagging. Stop being retarded ffs.
>>
I just fresh installed arch on my hp laptop today. The only thing is making sure to go uefi not legacy
>>
>Chromebooks
>Crouton
>>
>>51691273

https://system76.com/laptops
>>
>>51691273
I got a toshiba satellite L850 and it runs mint straight out of the box no messing around at all.
>>
>>51691369
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS_Chromebook_C201/
This is a 2015 laptop running Linux.
>>
>>51694831
Uefi is a bit of a hassle in Linux. It's a big hassle if you self-sign your own kernels.
>>
>>51691273
Just installed Gentoo on my acer laptop, replacing Arch.

Aspire s7, almost everything works fine. In fact it'd be tough to find ANY laptop that cannot run Linux.
>>
>>51691333

it's 2015, graphics and wifi haven't been a problem for 8 years

>>51691369
>secure boot

ms only mandate secure boot for arm devices

>UEFI problems

similar problems with desktop, blame mobo manufacturers until they fix their shit
>>
>>51695745
>it's 2015, graphics and wifi haven't been a problem for 8 years
I installed Arch month ago and I have problems with both of those things. I managed to fix wifi, but I still have problems with graphics although I installed bumblebee and followed official (arch wiki) guide to repair bumlebee errors.
>>
I have an ASUS S200E netbook which runs arch fine family.
>>
>>51694840
>crouton
>running an os on an os because you're too stupid to install a nice comfy distro on the metal
>>
>>51691273
Nigga I have arch in my surface pro 3.
All the UEFI scandal was FUD
>>
Dell inspiron models work just fine, touchscreen and all.
>>
>>51691273
system76 (stock choices), dell xps dev and chromebooks come to my mind.
>>
>>51695845
>graphics
>not a problem for 8 years

You must not be using NVIDIA
>>
>>51691273
>this meme
I have been using Ubuntu on both my acer and asus laptop for like 7 years now. Apart from nvidia drivers being a mess, they both worked better than windows. Just get a laptop with decent intel graphics.
>>
The fucking 2013/2014 Macbook Air models can run GNU/Linux, with a small amount of setup (rEFInd and the Broadcom WLAN driver module.) Yes, Arch works too, in fact it's quite heavily documented. It's all the same shit being sent down a different river.
>fully support "all distros"
That's an unholy level of vagueness. Major distros? Popular distros? Libre distros? x86 distros? How recent?
>>
>>51696274
>>51694840
HP Chromebook 14 with Xubuntu (not crouton) reporting in.
Performance is shit, build quality is bad but battery is decent. Later kernel releases fixed some of the touchpad issues, but it's still kinda bad.
Maybe installing arch and going the same setup as I have on my desktop fixes the problems I have with performance.

Is rMBP my only option if I want something that doesn't suck and has a terminal?
>>
linux is bad meme
just use windows
>>
>>51697266
arch on a toshiba chromebook 2 here. the shell is a little plasticy but it has acceptable performance, great battery, good form factor and lovely 1920x1080 ips screen.
you've nothing to lose by trying arch out. it's an easy install and you'll just want xkeyboard-config-chromebook from aur and xf86-input-synaptics to get your keyboard and touchpad working nicely.

>>51697298
windows is objectively shit and the only reason it still exists is because wintards don't know any better.
>>
>>51691273
You're just a retard. I run Arch on a T450s and even play some games on it (what the cheap gpu can handle like TF2)
>>
i have debian on a 7 o 8 yeat old laptop (fujitsu amilo 3438m) witch wimxp it was shit, now its ok do some basic stuff
>>
>>51691273
Install Windows 10 aniki...
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.