[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY Wifi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: diywifi.jpg (48 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
diywifi.jpg
48 KB, 800x800
So I have an event this weekend were we will have some gaming PCs out for the public to play on. But the problem is we can only get internet connection through the venues free Wifi.

So instead of buying some cheap unreliable usb nano sticks I was wondering if there's a free way to do it with the hardware you already have.

Like can I connect the PC to a macbook and share the connection? Thanks for any help!
>>
File: CApncn2WAAAK4Rh.jpg (65 KB, 600x545) Image search: [Google]
CApncn2WAAAK4Rh.jpg
65 KB, 600x545
You ever wonder where corn comes from?
>>
Use an old wireless router and use it as a bridge.
>>
You could just bridge the pc to the router, wireless or wired it doesn't matter. Just connect to the network you want to share then bridge the connection to the lan or wifi card you want to have your people connect to. Make sure the PC can handle the connections, it could become a choke point.
>>
File: 1413643809379.webm (536 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1413643809379.webm
536 KB, 640x360
>>51686003
Do you know where corn comes from?
>>
>>51685882
short answer, yes
long answer, share internet connection.
dunno if the mac OSx can do that though.

>>>google it
>>
>>51686003
I do have something called wireless repeater on my router(WNR3500L), would this work?
>>
Bridging is literally build into the kernel and works everywhere:

ip link add br0 type bridge
ip link set eth0 master br0
ip link set wlan0 master br0

ip link set eth0 up
ip link set wlan0 up
ip link set br0 up
>>
>>51686055
That guy looks like a fucking burn victim
>>
>>51685882
look for a wired switch
get an old router
get a wireless ap (or another router)
pc> switch> LAN port on router
wan port router > AP > wifi
lan for all
>>
File: hmm.jpg (209 KB, 965x432) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
209 KB, 965x432
So I've been trying to connect to my phone's hotspot by putting in the MAC adress on the router, but no go. I'm obviously missing something obvious here. I tried both as "Base station" and "Repeater". I got the PC connected over the LAN port.
>>
File: 1443655714520.jpg (174 KB, 496x691) Image search: [Google]
1443655714520.jpg
174 KB, 496x691
>>51687450
Alright nvm guys, I did manage to share my internet connection from the macbook to the router, itjustworks.jpg
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.