[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me, /g/, I've convinced myself a Macbook might be a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: mac vs thinkpad.jpg (267 KB, 1686x880) Image search: [Google]
mac vs thinkpad.jpg
267 KB, 1686x880
Help me, /g/, I've convinced myself a Macbook might be a good purchase.

Pros:
> OSX is a nice compromise between Windows and Linux - Decent UI, not a lot of bugs, but has *nix features like Bash, package manager, etc.
> Retina displays are fucking nice, very high resolution
> No pre-installed malware, unlike Dell and Lenovo

Cons:
> Hardware isn't upgradable
> Expensive
> "Genius" bar is an excuse to charge big bucks to have retards repair your computer with non-standard screws

Other:
> No games (who games on a laptop anyway? I have a desktop for that.)
> Swift looks like a pretty decent programming language, and it was just open-sourced
> Parallels would let me run Windows 7 for anything that WINE / Mono wouldn't work with.

Thoughts?
>>
>>51685756
I picked up 13" MBP 2 months ago. Best laptop I ever owned... hands down. I've owned a Toshiba and ThinkPad in the past but MBP is better.

Go for it anon... you won't make a mistake.
>>
>>51686082
Sounds good. What makes it better?
>>
>>51685756
1600$
I5 mobile processor.
No dedicate GPU.
Only half a TB of SSD

a-a-a-an-o-on
i-i-is this b-ba-bait?
Please no.
Don't do this to yourself.
No one is worthy of this.
Please anon.
I love you-
>>
>>51685756
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=osx-3-linux&num=1
APPLE BTFOOOO
>>
>>51686296
What would you recommend? I see thinkpads praised on /g/ quite often, but they seem about equally priced with Macbooks for the same specs
>>
>>51685756
Do it.
>>
Wtf is this shit? 1600 dollaroos and you get near to nothing
>>
>>51686358
What are the things you want in a laptop a-anon k-k-kun?
>>
>>51685756
Got a free broken 2011 17" inch MBP a few months ago. Repaired it and added RAM and SSD.

Pros :
* Top-notch battery life. I get at least 7 hours out of it.
* Godlike touchpad.
* Actually good speakers
* OSX is beautiful and usable out-of-the-box

Cons :
* OSX is locked down, can't be customized and thinks the user is a retard. Expect the machine to do the choices for you.
* Shit windowing system and management
* Shittiest file manager ever. Gets owned by Windows Explorer. I won't even talk about Linux alternatives, like Dolphin.
* Useless notification center

Yeah, it's an excellent $2000 facebook machine.
>>
>>51685756
>package manager,
os x doesn't come with a package manager silly
>>
>>51686358
I-it's m-me a-again a-anon k-kun
h-how a-about t-this?
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-13-3-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop-XPS9343-7273SLV/dp/B00SIJMTKO
y-you g-get a-an i7 a-and f-free shipping and g-g-g-g-od-t-tier display a-anon k-kun
>>
>>51686477
I use my current one mainly for programming. I don't game at all on it, so the main sources of "stress" come from compiling and watching videos on YouTube.

What I'm looking for mainly is a not-too-expensive text editor with a decent screen size, resolution, and battery life.
>>
>>51686515
Yeah, but Homebrew is trivially easy to install.

>>51686525
Looks pretty good, thanks for the heads up. The only drawback is it's Dell, who recently got in trouble for a Superfish-esque root CA. I'm looking for something from a manufacturer that doesn't load the default install down with a bunch of shitware.
>>
>>51686526
w-what's y-your p-price r-range a-anon?
i-it s-seems t-t-to me y-you w-would b-be f-fine w-with a-an i5
>>
>>51686732
No offence, friendo, but just type normally
Price range is anything under $2k
>>
File: mad pepe.png (91 KB, 500x422) Image search: [Google]
mad pepe.png
91 KB, 500x422
>>51686826
>friendo
What the fuck did you just fucking say about mai loli waifu, you filthy gaijin? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in The Lolicon Kawaii Corps Army, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on the government, and I have OVER 9000 confirmed loli threads on 4chan, specificaly /b/. I am trained in waifu warfare and I’m the top loli collector on the entire Internet. You are nothing to me but just another moralfag. I will b& you the fuck out of 4chan with 2d lolita with the cuteness of which has never been seen before on the Internet, mark my fucking threads. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over IRC chat? Think again, kek. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of 4chan users across the Internet and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the flooding of loli to your E-Mail inbox, newfag. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call "Shota-Con". You’re fucking dead, underage /b/& & /v/&. I can DDOS anywhere, anytime, and I can retrieve your personal info in at least one hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hacking skills. Not only am I extensively trained in DDOS attacks, but I have access to the entire fags on Futaba channeru, ni channeru, and 4chan and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass out the tubes of the Internet, you little .S.J.W. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will be shiting dick nipples and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead DQN, go back to Tumblr.
>>
>>51686905
k
>>
>>51686997
/g/ is not your personal tec
h support
>>>/trash/
>>>/sqt/
>>>/reddit/
>>>/google/
>>
>>51687062
You seem angry
All I'm asking for is opinions, not support. I can't find many reviews of Macbooks that aren't by Apple-obsessed assholes.
>>
>Passive cooling
Enjoy your throttling after watching half of a high quality movie
>>
>>51687988
hes buying an apple laptop of course he doesn't know high quality movies
yify will play fine (rip in piece a:10 v:10)
>>
>>51688055
Well if he doesn't spend 5 minutes to find a high quality rip to watch a movie, I think he deserves throttling tbqh m8.
>>
>>51688132
I don't watch movies that often

>>51687988
Just read about that. So much for buying one of these piles of shit
>>
>>51685756
>throttles to 800mhz
Enjoy your facebook machine.
>>
>>51686296
I would be saying the same thing if Macbooks didn't retain so much more of their value when selling used. Brand name is worth a lot to most people. You're ripping yourself off if you never sell your old apple products
>>
>>51686572
That's why you wipe and reinstall as soon as you get any computer.
>>
>>51688439
Yeah, but
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/08/12/lenovo-used-a-hidden-windows-feature-to-ensure-its-software-could-not-be-deleted/
>>
>>51686082
same here, switched from an hp pavilion
>>
If money isn't a problem then go for it, it's a high quality laptop, light and with good battery life.
>>
tell me what windows explorer can do and finder doesn't? just asking, I want to know
>>
>>51688664
Oh, windows fucks it over again.
Install Gentoo.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.