[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i want to install arch linux, i know how to do it but its my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
i want to install arch linux, i know how to do it but its my first time switching from windows to anything else really. ihave some big questions.
is there a spotify? i have a big fuckin music library on spotify and i cant live with it. i could probably spend hours downloading 3k songs to my hard drive but id rather just use spotify.
do games run well compared to windows? lord gaben (pic related) ported some windows games to linux. im especially talking about cs go. does it run well? it runs at 50fps on my windows (pretty shit i know), so how will it run on linux?
and lastly, how does it perform in everyday use? im talking things like coding (im an amateur java developer, also do web things), school things, writing essays, printer support, and general usability.
help a newfag out
>>
OP here. meant to type live without it. sorry, im retarded.
>>
Yeah, there is Spotify.
Leave windows alone and go for Arch, its amazing :) you will learn a lot of linux stuff while installing.

And when you are ready, go for Gentoo.
>>
dont switch, just use windows 7 SP1 and turn off updates so you dont get the botnet stuff. you will HATE it.
>>
>>51685469
Don't fall for the games are playable on linux meme, just don't. You'll run into a shit ton of driver problems
>>
>>51685469
>coding
you can code in arch more conveniently than windows, but other things are practically questionable. I used to use windows and applications which exclusively depending on windows like MS office. there are lots of alternative applications in arch, but when I switch to arch, I need plenty of times to get used to it.

if you are adventurous, then try it. it should be good experience and you will get more *freedom*.

ah, I forgot to say. after you get used to arch, install gentoo.
>>
>>51685469
God this post gave me cancer

Here :

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport
>>
>>51685469
Arch user converted from win7 months ago here

>Spotify
Yes, from a quick google it is in the official AUR

>Games
No, not at all. Keep your windows partition around for anything DirectX past 2009. CS:GO might actually be aight though

>Performance
Very nice, but usability is extremely subjective based on your desktop enviroment or window manager and the amount of work you put into configs.
>>
>>51685469
>>>/v/
gtfo manchild
>>
>>51685469
you should dual boot just for games
>>
>falling for the linux meme
so 2013. fuck linux.
>>
File: 1449230968011.png (201 KB, 773x1634) Image search: [Google]
1449230968011.png
201 KB, 773x1634
>>51685469
>School
>Looking for games
>Lord Gaben
>Amateur java dev

Do you know which desktop environment you will install? Do you know what network manager to use? Ever used vim/nano? If no, install a pre-built arch/arch derivative like Antergos or Manjaro.
Arch installation is not very hard but you have to know exactly what you are looking for. Picture related
>>
>>51688783
this
>>
>>51685469
Use Architect, it makes installing Arch way more easier!
>>
>>51688629
valve games only run on ubuntu, every other distro (arch confirmed) causes drops in frames and audio cutout. It's bullshit that valve only designed their products for ubuntu.
>>
>>51693543
I play valve games all the time on Arch Linux and dont have the issues you describe. Shit tier pc?
>>
>lord gaben XD

holy shit kill yourself you fucking tool
>>
>>51685469
Don't fall for the Arch meme. Install Debian testing or Fedora. Also if you have a Radeon, you should buy a new graphic card.
>>
>>51693543
lol

you have no idea how linux/distros work do you?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.