[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking to get a job in the tech field, but I have not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1443653692857.jpg (17 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
1443653692857.jpg
17 KB, 512x288
I'm looking to get a job in the tech field, but I have not the first clue when it comes to coding. Could anyone give some general information on the different tech fields and good schools to get my degree at? Preferably an online school.
>>
Stanford and MIT will both pay your tuition if you get accepted and are poor.
>>
I'm a University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign student, feels good being #5 tech school in the country. Shits fucking difficult though, let me just say.
>>
I currently live in Philly. Is the art institute of Philadelphia good for Web design?
>>
Doing what in "tech"?

That's pretty much saying " I want a job in business ", could be anything
>>
>>51685220
Something in coding. I was thinking maybe Web design.
>>
>>51685079
>>51685110
He's a NEET you morons.

>>51684976
>Hard Mode
Get into an open door school like SDSU or a community college, study CS or mech eng, work your way up to a better school if you can. Take whatever internships are available. Will take a bit over 4 years.

>EASY MODE
Learn HTML, CSS, JS and some basic web frameworks online. Shell out some cash for one of those coding bootcamps(Hack reactor is reputable) Get an entry level webdev job in SF. Starting from zero might take you a year, year and a half

I went with the easy route, and I'm very happy with my job now. I do back end work at a startup, get paid very well(though the city is expensive). See /wdg/ for more info on how to get started.

>NEET guide to web dev employment
https://pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

Also don't fall for that Art institute scam, seriously anon. That reminds me a bit too much of Full Sail.
>>
>>51685249
I don't think I have the motivation for hard mode. 4 more years of schooling is a lot.

How would this school be for the easy option? A 16 week course to learn the basic programs. It isn't online, but I could get over that. http://nycda.com/classes/web-development-intensive/philadelphia/
>>
>>51685335
BAD, you don't want this

>While we cannot guarantee students a job, we do offer career resources and training for our students to be competitive.

They are charging you $10,000 for no guarantee. The coding bootcamp I went to (Hack Reactor) charged roughly the same and they have a 99% job placement rate, which is not bullshit because they have released all their statistics online (see Quora) and they will actually reach out to their people to get you one. My first gig was as a "full stack hacker"(meme job) at a food delivery startup. They had me starting at 100k. Coming from a smaller city this was unreal for me.
>>
>>51685249
>SDSU
my nigga
it's harder to get into if you're not a minority, though.
I wouldn't recommend if OP is looking for a quick education and into the field, too many GE's.

ITT Tech seems right up your alley OP, the one in my neighborhood offers a lot of tech internships and don't waste time with GE classes.
>>
>>51684976
MAKI
>>
>>51685533
ITT tech is a scam dude, read the horror stories online.

As far as affirmative action goes I lucked out. I am blonde hair green eyed but my parents are from Spain, so I always checked the box "Hispanic"
>>
>>51685426
I looked them up and read they have a very selective admission and require you to know some coding already. I don't think I'd be able to get in.
>>
>>51685649
You have to meet them half way anon. It wasn't too hard. Basically I read Eloquent JavaScript, which gets you acquainted with programming. Did some online courses for HTML and CSS(Easy as hell) and then "interviewed" with HR. It was just a video chat, he asked me a few questions nothing too hard, probably to make sure I wasn't a complete mouthbreather (to make sure I could become employable) then I was accepted, left a month or so later to SF. Did the bootcamp, met some cool people, got a job, and that's pretty much it.
>>
>>51685701
What is better for learning those? IOS or Windows?
>>
>>51685649
>>51685796

fampai, stackexchange and code academy are your friend. My APCS teacher back in high school almost never answered questions because many of them can be answered with a google search.

Use linux.
>>
>>51685796
OS X is what I used, which was great. Linux is great too. Windows isn't very good in general, but you can still do that kind of work just fine.

For javascript, CSS and HTML all you need is a text editor like Notepad++ or Atom and a web browser. That's it
>>
>>51685851
Alright, I think I'll pick up a MacBook and give myself a year to learn the basics and work on my people skills.

>>51685845
I'll make sure to check those out.

Thanks for the advice everyone
>>
>>51684976
tech field is a fucking waste land. outsourcing left and right, droves of tech diploma graduates largely unemployed or working menial jobs in other fields, etc. stop wasting your life and study a fucking trade like welding or auto repair. there's a HUGE manpower shortage in skilled trades: high demand for jobs, high pay, etc.
>>
What's with all that makiposting recently
>>
>>51685904
You can do it anon! I was a complete NEET before (5 years hermit ascetic mode) before I got my life together. I'm still not completely there 100% but I am much better off now.
>>
>>51684976
Just learn Networking, some things like CCNA. The networking guys don't code anything at all. If you want to program, then i suggest you to learn interpreted programming languages (Python or Ruby), then you can do the jump to Java or C# and be a code monkey for the rest of your days.
>>
I'm looking at MacBooks now, is there a specific one you recommend?
http://www.apple.com/mac/compare/
>>
>>51685906
But I don't want to break my back in manual labor. I want to sit at a desk in an air conditioned room spending all day on the computer.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.