[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why not switch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: oh wow .jpg (158 KB, 620x876) Image search: [Google]
oh wow .jpg
158 KB, 620x876
It is March of 2016 and valve makes an announcement that reveals that every game on steam has be successfully been ported over to Linux with no performance issues, and any game in the future on steam will be developed for windows AND Linux

What is the reason you are still using Windows on YOUR personal computer? Programs? The feel of windows?
Please try to keep it civil
>>
>>51682608
Literally just due to games.
>>
>>51682608
windows 7 just feels comfier than anything i set up so far in linux
>>
>>51682608

You are asking the wrong question. The question is what is the reason for you to switch to Linux.

Why, oh so every game on steam is ported to linux. Why do I care? Why should I have a burning desire to use Linux?

I don't and neither would normies, there was one friend that I installed Linux on for him.

I was so surprised he wanted that and I did install it for him.

The reason? His brother was watching bestiality online and he was afraid his computer would get infected from it.
>>
>>51682608
Origin would cannibalize on them.
>>
>>51682640
seems like you don't understand the point
>>
It changes nothing because your hypothetical situation doesn't exist. Grow up you fucking child and live in the real world.

P.s. you're a fucking cunt
>>
>>51682608
I don't play new shit and I need all those rare unique Windows programs, including mine. UI and performance are good as well.
>>
>>51682608
Linux just feels cold and lonely
>>
>>51682608
it just works

other programs

foss does not have acceptable alternatives to professional software

why would i ever want to switch to an OS that isn't even appropriate for daily, general use? I don't want to deal with shit drivers, ugly interfaces, and having to spend most of my time troubleshooting and searching forums because filthy neckbeards insist on contributing code despite being such terrible programmers they don't have jobs
>>
>>51682654
>>51682640
>>51682691
>>51682686
Thanks for being civil
>>51682674
Sorry no English

What I meant was what IF what I said happened, what are your reasons for sticking to windows and not using linux. Sorry for the confusion
>>
>>51682740
Grow up. Grow up grow up. We don't do WHAT IF situations here. We live in the real world and we accept life as it is. Maybe you should stop being a teenager.
>>
File: gobacktor9k.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
gobacktor9k.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>51682770
Sorry no English
Reee lol
>>
>>51682712
Windows users, how does it feel to know there's an entire group of individuals who are better with computers than you are? Meet GNU+Linux users. They are better than you.

They understand the hardware better. They understand the basic principles of computer science better. They know how networks work better than you. They understand the pros and cons of filesystems (including NTFS and HFS+) because with GNU+Linux you get to choose filesystems. They can probably program, too, since learning a scripting language vastly improves productivity under GNU+Linux (and this really pisses you off, since programming was one thing you always wanted to do but could never really find any practical projects to work towards.) Oh, and they probably know Windows better than you, too, since most advanced GNU+Linux users these days are ex-Windows and ex-OS X users who managed to learn GNU+Linux years ago when it was much less "user friendly."

At this point, a confident individual would admit to himself that he has a lot to learn about GNU+Linux and computers in general, but since you lack the self esteem to do that you run back to Windows, install a MMORPG and keep repeating to yourself "at least I can run games or look pretty. At least I can run games or look pretty." You're also probably very pleased about being able to sync with your horribly restrictive DAP... because Microsoft or Apple have somehow managed to convince you that being shiny is the most important thing to consider when buying a device.

At this point you probably rationalize "well the only thing I know is Windows, so I must be a Windows expert!" as if knowing only one thing makes you an automatic expert, or that learning GNU+Linux forces you to forget how to use Windows entirely.

Meet GNU+Linux users. They're better than you.
>>
>>51682789
looks like linux users are certainly better at being whiny
>>
File: nigga.jpg (14 KB, 253x199) Image search: [Google]
nigga.jpg
14 KB, 253x199
Op here,
Holy fuck dude keep it civil
>>
Irrelevant, because that's literally never going to happen.
>>
>>51682789
>they know more about hw
Well, maybe trying to get the fucking wifi to work counts.
>software
Nah. They just know a great deal about Linux, and its problems in particular. And they just copy/paste scripts anyway.
>>
>reason you are still using Windows on YOUR personal computer?
Hardware that's not from 90's. Heh, are Linux laptop users still switching Optimus on/off manually? Does it even work with Wayland?
>>
It's December 2015 you fucking idiot how long have you been in the basement
>>
I like the operating system, and I'm hoping with an update soon that I can text through my phone with it natively. Though I'm sure you guys will let me know that Linux can already. But still I just enjoy the look and feel of windows 10
>>
File: 1448720921695.png (270 KB, 373x503) Image search: [Google]
1448720921695.png
270 KB, 373x503
>>51682608
Shit drivers
Lack of DirectX
Games still experience glitches
Garbage graphics and 50-70% loss of fps
No Office 365 and other essential software

What do you think OP? Steam is 10 years too late to save Linux, until other big companies start giving a shit about it, it is just a hobbyist OS.
>>
>>51683333
This plus why do I care about something that's only advantage is it's free of I already have the superior paid product
>>
File: 1447996833371.jpg (196 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1447996833371.jpg
196 KB, 900x675
>>51682789
nice pasta but I still hope you get ass cancer and die painfully.
>>
>>51683402
>Hobbyist os
Kek LVL 9000
>>
>>51683521
Linus made the kernel
>for fun
in his free time.
>>
>Linux crybabies are like Jehovah Witnesses.
That's what I replied in a bsd thread and here you crybabies are at it again. If only Linux was useful for something other than whining on the internet.
>>
I have never used any OS other than Windows, and I don't see that there is any reason to change now, or then. I know how it works and I don't feel like learning a new one now.
>>
>>51683574
>implying BSD is any better if not worse

Anything that is not Windows is certified trash. Windows can do everything Linux can using Linux box and Cygwin but Linux can't do shit to compete with Windows.

BSD is the retarded child that thinks he is sanic and can fly.
>>
>>51682608
>OS X on my desktop for developing/shitposting/weebshit
>FreeBSD on my servers for NAS/mail
>Windows on an external HD for H-games/ VN's and some Paradox Plaza Games
>GNU/Linux LiveUSB's/VM's for misc. work

Why not be /comfy/-mode like me?
>>
>>51683660
That is the most retarded way to manage your lifestyle I have ever seen. Just use Windows Server which can handle all your needs collectively and provide uniformity across your devices.
>>
>>51682608
I'd switch to Linux asap. Games are the only thing keeping me on Windows and as soon as it's the year of the Linux desktop, I'm switching.
>>
File: 1424790291259.jpg (73 KB, 490x333) Image search: [Google]
1424790291259.jpg
73 KB, 490x333
>>51682770
>Grow up. Grow up grow up.
>>
>>51683708
>using windows on a server
>ever

M$ shill spotted.
>>
>>51683708
W-wait are you telling me you actually connect to the internet on Windows?
>>
>steam games
lol fuck off you 12 yr old dumb faggot
>>
>>51683714
Op here
Same senpai, I'm actually dual booting and only using Windows for games. The only reason I'm not using Linux full time is for new releases.

Yes I know I'm a baby/manchild for playing videogames
>>
>>51683739
Using Windows Server edition on a server. Can you even read?

>>51683744
Is that a rhetorical question?
>>
Current setup:
Linux desktop that I use for everything. Separate drive for games, separate small drive for Windows. Whenever I boot into Windows, I unplug the ethernet cable. How do I get my games you ask? I torrent them all on Linux and then install them on Windows.
>>
>>51683773
>Using Windows Server edition on a server. Can you even read?
Server edition or no, it's STILL retarded.
>>
>Valve doing anything but fueling the autistic microeconomy of people trading CS:GO/TF2 items
>ToGL ever running at full speed without fucktarded crashes from ill-tested Source engine 2009 "optimizations"
You somehow made this a theoretical situation, yet I still can't believe it. The Linux Steam client could go downhill at any second. It still uses a shim to simulate running on Ubuntu 12.04, and it's not made by Valve themselves (neither are Steam OS or any Linux/OS X ports of Valve games.) Guess who?
>Contractors.
As much as I want to ditch Windows permanently, Valve isn't even trying. Most of the good ports are games like Serious Sam 3, that Valve doesn't even have a hand in.
>>
>>51682789
I have sex regularly
>>
Until Linux fully supports League of Faggots and my DAW of choice (Ableton Live and no I refuse to use it through wine) I won't switch.
>>
I'm apparently too stupid to learn how to build from source which vastly limits what I can run on Linux. One day I'll figure it out....
>>
>still no native Total Annihilation on Linux

That would be a deal-breaker for me, to be honest.
>>
File: JUST....jpg (57 KB, 600x763) Image search: [Google]
JUST....jpg
57 KB, 600x763
>>51683848
Ubuntu/Xubuntu can run LoL but it has annoying glitches like inability to alt+tab properly without the entire OS crashing, garbage fonts and improper font rendering in the store.

The store is a huge problem. In game your screen randomly flashes with garbage polygons, the FPS loss is 40-60% where even at low settings I can't hit 60fps capped. The last issue is the mouse acceleration is so high and different from Windows, you literally fuck up every match because you fumble your clicks and spell timings.

Not worth all this pain just to use a retarded OS like Linux.
>>
I need Windows for muh engineering apps. I don't give a shit about games.
>>
I don't like how Linux looks. Thats enough for me to keep on using 7.
>>
Thanks senpai
>>
>>51682608
why

why the hell should I give a shit

like really why should I give one flying fuck at all if windows serves me just fine. I have Linux mint on my mom's computer just so she doesn't get virus on her PC, because she does little more than browsing the web. that is literally the only reason that I see to why one should use Linux. hell, correct me if im wrong...but im not so sure i am.
>>
Because Windows 7 is a great OS.
>>
>>51682789

>Meet GNU+Linux users. They are better than you.

I use Linux but I don't say faggot shit like that.
>>
windows 7 is still the king for me
>>
>>51682608
every game on steam or every valve game?
>>
>>51685881
I don't care that you don't give a fuck
>>
>>51682608
If I could play games just fine I'd switch so fast it would be fucking insane.

I'd even put up with Linux shitty terminal bullshit.

If STALKER and Tera ran natively if leave windows now.
>>
Gaming isn't the only reason to use windows.

Plenty of 3d modeling and simulation programs like Solidworks don't run on Linux, and using Linux seems pointless if you need to run a windows emulator anyways.

Not to mention the numerous data acquisition programs that are windows only, many mathematics programs, and the fact that Linux drivers for peripherals and then small details are still less available.
>>
>>51682608
>Steam is all the games

People who think like this annoy the hell outta me.

Won't even be able to pirate anymore.
>>
>>51682608
I would stick with win7 until it becomes unsupported, and then switch to mint or debian.

There in no reason for me to move away from 7 until security becomes an issue, as I find it quite comfy.

When 7 has problems with security, I will switch to Linux, as 8 has to be changed to be comfy anyway. 10 is obviously out of the question.
>>
>>51683932
I've also tried running LoL on Ubuntu. Low frame rate and texture problems.
>>
Well, I thought it was finally time to switch, but then I found out that blender still sucks so much that you can't properly bake a high to low poly normal map because they forgot to implement anti-aliasing.

Blender in general is a huge piece of shit and there's no alternative to it.
>>
>>51683932
>calls Gnu/Linux retarded
>plays league of legends

Maybe you'll be ready for a real operating system when you no longer wear diapers
>>
I would drop windows like a mic if this were a joke.
>>
>Every game on steam
Nigga
>Go to steam
>Search for linux-compatible games
>List suddenly loses a fucking digit
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.