[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Install Arch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11
File: Install_Arch.jpg (485 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
Install_Arch.jpg
485 KB, 2170x1070
So, this is the first version of install arch infographic image

It was not yet fully tested, will be doing fresh install in virtual machine right now, but it should work without some issues

Ideas for improvements and fixes are welcome, ideas about style or graphic mistakes, typos,... anything you notice
>>
shit, seeing typo right away in EFI

>mkdir /mount/boot
should be mkdir /mnt/boot
>>
What are the advantages of a swap file over a swap partition?
>>
>>51680116
>9000 steps to install arch
>meanwhile windows just requires the ability to click next 4 times
>>
>>51680145
there are two IMO

flexibility, you can change it from 500MB to 4GB whenever you feel like it or completely get rid of it without some dicking with partitions

and then theres keeping partition structure clean, so that when you lsblk and play with lvm or encryption or dual booting... that you dont have there some permanent 2/4GB partition sticking out like a sore thumb
>>
>>51680165
/thread
>>
>>51680116
>Recommending SLiM in arch
LOL
>>
>>51680165
>>51680186
when you have to do steps to install something, theres also option to choose to not to do certain steps
but enjoy your windows 10 telemetry

>>51680219
I dont personally use it as I just login automaticly and go to my i3 automaticly
but I wanned to give something easily setup and taking whole logging in thing for them.
>>
>>51680116
MOM! look I installed arch all by myself.
>>
>>51680116
You are making it hard to remember. If the users have to constantly look at a reference they might as well look at the wiki.
-You forgot to umount /mnt
-mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda1
>not creating an initial RAM disk environment
>>
>>51680116
>Warning: The SliM project has been abandoned (the project homepage is down, leaving a github mirror), and is not fully compatible with systemd, including logind sessions.
>>
>>51680358
>You are making it hard to remember. If the users have to constantly look at a reference they might as well look at the wiki.
the beginners guide alone is 3000 words and dont get you even to the working DE
so theres a space for improvement I would say

>You forgot to umount /mnt
is it necessary, theres reboot and reboot unmounts?

>-mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda1
what about it?

>not creating an initial RAM disk environment
to what point and purpose?

>>51680369
fuck, what then? Or just autostart xorg?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Xinitrc&redirect=no#Autostart_X_at_login
>>
>>51680230
Spending 2 seconds on google, what have told you that SLiM has been abandoned, and is not compatible with systemd.
>>
>>51680165

Meanwhile, microsoft happily applies the lube to ram the probe up your ass for you.
>>
>>51680165
You can achieve the same ease of install with many Linux distros. You can install Antergos with a few clicks as well, and have a functioning Arch install.

You also don't have Microsoft reading every keystroke you type :)
>>
>>51680230

There are countless of issues with that picture. From the 30 seconds I looked at it, I saw for example installing "ntp". Not only weren't there any instructions on how to actually enable the service to sync the clocks, but it's also useless for the simple cases.

>>51680393

If you don't know an alternate display manager, then you shouldn't be writing "guides".

>the beginners guide alone is 3000 words and dont get you even to the working DE
That's because it's a beginner's guide and covers all of the possible scenarios for new users. No sane person would use an outdated picture instead of it.
>>
>>51680421
>There are countless of issues with that picture. From the 30 seconds I looked at it, I saw for example installing "ntp". Not only weren't there any instructions on how to actually enable the service to sync the clocks, but it's also useless for the simple cases.

I installed arch on several PCs and always, again ALWAYS had issues with clocks and them following timezone

npt solved it all

>Not only weren't there any instructions on how to actually enable the service to sync the clocks

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_Time_Protocol_daemon#Installation

>Install the ntp package. By default, ntpd works in client mode without further configuration.

>If you don't know an alternate display manager, then you shouldn't be writing "guides".

and yet here we are and I do know others and even used soem in the past, I was asking for experience with some other ones, if theres no clean winner that everyone loves

anyway, try to contain your butthurt please? It seems the guide or the process of creating the guide is already teaching you new things with the ntp, so be happy
>>
Yeah or just get Architect gookers
>>
>>51680165
That also applies to any Linux distro where the devs don't cater to tryhards and wannabe 1337 h4x0rs
>>
>>51680116
This is not even 5% of a regular arch installation. What about the kernel, systemd, initramfs, udev, modprobe, xorg.conf, gtk...?
>>
File: Installing_Arch_2015.11.png (201 KB, 773x1634) Image search: [Google]
Installing_Arch_2015.11.png
201 KB, 773x1634
>>51680116
This one is much easier to follow though, didn't spoonfeed everything which is great
>>
File: MpjXq.jpg (132 KB, 400x302) Image search: [Google]
MpjXq.jpg
132 KB, 400x302
> Connect to internet
> git clone github.com/helmuthdu/aui
> ./fifo
> ./lilo
Done.
>>
>>51680510
>kernel, systemd, initramfs, udev, modprobe, xorg.conf, gtk...
what about them?
whats the issue to be solved?
>>
>>51680519
OP here, I loved helmuthdu script and even used it parts when checking what pacakges he installs
should check again though

but its no longer maintained :[
>>
>yaourt
>>
>>51680116
>>51680510
>>51680521

aur, shell, network manager, libnotify, tint, depmod, mime types, shadow, encrypton, gpg, journald, firmwares, initcpio...

this is about the system configuration.
>>
>>51680529
Maybe mention wifi-menu
>>
>>51680165
What has that got to do with anything? lol
>>
>>51680483

You already have systemd installed, might as well use systemd-timesyncd. There is no need for an extra package to just get simple NTP sync going.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-timesyncd
>>
>>51680510
>kernel
what about it
>systemd
I mean the bootloader and dhcpcd is done through systemd
>initramfs
You're right about that one
>udev, modprobe
can be taken care of if you need to edit fstab, but the default genfstab does most of it for you
>xorg.conf
almost never is that needed to be edited
>gtk
lxappearance
>>
File: 1422485801172.jpg (134 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1422485801172.jpg
134 KB, 550x550
>>51680516
>didn't spoonfeed everything which is great
you know a guide is supposed to help right? it's not an exam so it doesn't have to be hard on purpose?
>>
>>51680116
Why copy the wiki's beginners' guide to a picture? What purpose does this serve?
>>
>>51680563
cant test it on anything I have so it would be bit of a inthedark writing
but if you got the idea for a bullet point, where it should go and what terminal command follows.. I can add it

>>51680612
easier to follow
no hunting for packages for basic use
less intimidating
>>
>>51680598
it's not an exam so users can use antergos
>>
>>51680628

>easier to follow
Because it only serves very specific information not suitable for everyone without any explanation what it actually does?

>no hunting for packages for basic use
If you don't know what stuff you need, you shouldn't be installing Arch or a similar distribution like Debian's minimal installer.

>less intimidating
If text and explanations for your specific interest intimidate you, then you should rethink your life.
>>
Add steps for a dual boot with wangblows and you're good.
>>
>>51680655
>Because it only serves very specific information not suitable for everyone without any explanation what it actually does?
yes

>If you don't know what stuff you need, you shouldn't be installing Arch or a similar distribution like Debian's minimal installer
you know, just not exact names of the packages

>If text and explanations for your specific interest intimidate you, then you should rethink your life.
large walls of text are offputting and seem intimidating and complicated

>>51680687
bios/mbr section are the dualboots steps, just you should have empty partition ready along the windows, grub takes care of the rest

uefi/gpt would instead of creating 512MB efi partition be mounting an already existing one created by windows, thats the only difference

I am not planning on making it more friendly in the regard to explain it better, its would pollute that section even more.
And it might encourage people to "try it" along their normal use windows and when they type wrongly /dev/sda1 instead of /devsda2 its all tears suddenly.
>>
>>51680752

>yes
You just admitted that it's useless for 98% of all its users.

>you know, just not exact names of the packages
You don't.

>I am not planning on making it more friendly in the regard to explain it better, its would pollute that section even more.
There's a word for the idiotic thing you're trying, but I don't know it.
>>
File: 1449084220313.jpg (32 KB, 428x510) Image search: [Google]
1449084220313.jpg
32 KB, 428x510
Holy shit you are that shitty apps guy
>>
>>51680116
Don't listen to the arch elitists. It's a good dot point summary of the process that I'm finding useful.
>>
>>51680116
Not bad, maybe you could add something regarding keymaps and console font selection.
>>
File: linux_software.jpg (316 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
linux_software.jpg
316 KB, 1024x1400
>>51680763
>You just admitted that it's useless for 98% of all its users.
if you are user of it, then its not useless for you

>You don't.
yes, I dont

>There's a word for the idiotic thing you're trying, but I don't know it.
ok

>>51680765
yeah, and I must say that felt simpler and easier to make than this arch install

I also made the case choosing image by price and the "show your tray" in windows the one with labeled all the programs there and few others around the /g/
>>
>>51680817
Arch installer is constantly being updated. You'd be better off following the Arch wiki or install using the architect. Not to sound elitist but this guide may become outdated soon
>>51680843
When will you ever remove dropbox and vivaldi?
>>
>>51680843
>finally not listing virt-manager as a hypervisor
>leave the logo anyway
>>
>>51680763

>You just admitted that it's useless for 98% of all its users.
So what is your contribution, Mr Expert ?
>>
>>51680116
After using several video guides, having 1 easy graphic like this is definitely helpful. Cheers.

I acknowledge it's not the root answer; that's how distros work. But the fucking guide is so over the place.
>>
>>51680952
see >>51680516
>>
>>51680863
>When will you ever remove dropbox and vivaldi?
when new interesting alternative arise or when there start to be something seriously wrong with them

>>51680942
what logo should go there?
>>
>>51680165
Senpai, took mine hours taking into account all the updates. It's mostly annoying, but most of the people don't care.
>>
File: lgban.gif (13 KB, 400x130) Image search: [Google]
lgban.gif
13 KB, 400x130
>>51680981
>>
Thanks for creating this, OP. I'll hand it to other people when teaching how to install. I run through it on a VM to pick out some things. (btw change the font of the titles to something more professional)

The EFI partition's type HAS to be set to EFI Filesystem through cfdisk
Missing dash at
mkfs.fat -F32

mkdir /mount/boot
should be
/mnt/boot

Instead of SLiM:
pacman -S lightdm-gtk-greeter
systemctl enable lightdm

and use .xprofile instead of .xinitrc (without exec of DE/WM)
Swap isn't needed on modern PCs
systemd handles ntp
timedatectl set-ntp true

You don't have to reboot after step 2, ctrl+d to log out or ctrl+alt+F2 for other tty
Why install twm?
>>
>>51680116
>step 1
Erase your arch live CD and burn architect on it.
>>
>>51681252
>Erasing a CD
>a CD
>>
>>51681145
Thanks. Will do some fixing.
>>
File: Install_Arch.jpg (488 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
Install_Arch.jpg
488 KB, 2170x1070
>>51681145
ok, most of the suggestions I implemented

>btw change the font of the titles to something more professional
ok testing the look of a different font

>The EFI partition's type HAS to be set to EFI Filesystem through cfdisk
done, but cant test it really, what VM you use that does UEFI/gpt behavior well?

>Missing dash
fixed

>Instead of SLiM
changed to lightdm, probably will add how to autologin in to it since its damn long section name

>use .xprofile instead of .xinitrc (without exec of DE/WM)
done, not sure why will read up on that I guess

>Swap isn't needed on modern PCs
I know, but thats too radical change IMO

>systemd handles ntp
awesome, done

>You don't have to reboot after step 2, ctrl+d to log out or ctrl+alt+F2 for other tty
in the guide I want to guide transition from doing all as root to switching to user at some point, so that when you are doing .xprofile / .xinit start, so that they create it in home that they will actually use

>Why install twm?
removed
>>
>>51680116
nice, i'll keep it in case i want to use arch for some testing or whatever
>>51680165
if you want something like windows you don't fucking install arch
>>
>>51682240

>if you want something like windows you don't fucking install arch
This.
>>
Where is up to the i install uefi or bios,mbr?
>>
>>51680116
You may have to use --force if you get some block error bullshit configuring GRUB.
>>
>>51682180
you could add something about the keymaps and the vconsole font
>>
>>51682180
Shouldn't setting a swap file be marked optional? Also, you should add a section about basic maintenance, like how often and how to update your software. I'm talking about the pacman equivalent of sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove.
>>
>>51680843
Why isn't virtual machine manager mentioned? It's a GUI for managing qemu/kvm. Might be good for those of us who don't want to use VirtualBox, but don't want to be fucking around in the terminal either. You should also list at least one alternative for sublime text (like geany), as it is proprietary.
>>
>>51682180
OP, you're a real human bean and a real hero, thanks!
>>
>>51681272
Yeah?
>>
File: 1437315842951.jpg (11 KB, 300x268) Image search: [Google]
1437315842951.jpg
11 KB, 300x268
>using nano instead of vim
>>
>>51680949

I edited the Wiki once.
>>
>>51682383
depends on your motherboard, old ones have bios new ones have UEFI
MBR and GPT is for hard drives and new ones can do both but gpt is the future, I am not even sure if it should be there, I think the choice is between UEFI and BIOS, not between MBR and GPT of your drive, but not 100% sure if theres no relation, I always thought of them as one group and the other...

>>51682558
dunno what you mean, subjects do not ring any bell

>>51682659
loads of stuff is optional in there, people who know whats what know they can skip swap if they feel like it, a noobs putting shit on the old c2d with 2GB ram might skip it
>>
this guide is trash, I will give you a shit tier install
>>
>>51684231
Because it doesn't use an unstable file system amirite
>>
>>51683769
>using qwerty and not dvorak
>using wifi and not eth0
>using Openbox and not full tty
>>
>>51685142
>not actually using Dvorak
your loss
>>
>>51680582
He's an idiot, he even recommended shitty apps.
>>
File: 1381076728115.gif (817 KB, 200x233) Image search: [Google]
1381076728115.gif
817 KB, 200x233
>>51682180
>>51681145
OK, OP here
why should I use .xprofile instead of .xinit
I did some googling and few years ago people didnt even know what xprofile is

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=53502

also I set it wrong in this pic>>51682180

there should have not be &
>>
>>51686864
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LightDM#Migrating_from_SLiM
Lightdm uses xprofile, SLiM uses xinit.
>>
>>51687014
well we are not migrating we are doing clean install
and I tested both methods

- creating only .xinitrc
>exec startxfce4

- creating only .xprofile
>startxfce4

both seems to work fine

startx though does not work with only xprofile

so considering xinitrc is something everyone knows
why going for something else, to what benefit?
>>
>>51687088
Lightdm works without xprofile, but won't execute things in xinitrc. You could just leave both out for a basic installation if you use lightdm.
>>
>>51687119
>You could just leave both out for a basic installation if you use lightdm.
tested
true
hmmm, going with that so seems, unless I will be adding some shit from recommendations, like autologin with no password needed or numlock...
>>
Have to type 100 lines to get it to just werk, just use windows tb,h fa,m
>>
I'm installing arch now and trying to get either lightdm-webkit-greeter or lightdm-webkit2-greeter working so I can eventually make my own greeter theme.

However, with either of those greeters, with any theme, whenever I click within the greeter, my mouse moves to the left of the screen instantly. It retains its Y coordinate, but moves slightly next to the left of the screen while the button is held down, then moves to the leftmost pixel when I release the mouse.

Also some of the elements like <select> elements are using GTK default elements instead of being rendered as styled html for some reason. This persists across both webkit greeters and different themes so I know its not a CSS issue.

Does anybody have any ideas on what could cause this and how I could fix it?
>>
>>51689192
This might help you.
>>
Even twitch.tv managed to install Arch

https://www.twitchinstalls.com/

Watch archives.
>>
>>51680116
>defaul
>opengl
OpenGL
>>
>>51689192

This kid literally has never seen a vagaina before
>>
>yaourt
>Adding repos for yaourt and infinality
Holy shit. Are you people retarded.
>>
>>51680116
>slim
I'm more of a fan of lightdm
>>
>>51689336
Infinality gets a lot of updates.
>>
>>51682327
You're dodging the point
>>
>>51680116
you need a 2170x1070 image to explain how to install the system? most linuxes and all BSDs have a graphical/guided console setup so you don't manually have to chroot into the FS and configure GRUB from the system you're installing

sound convoluted?

man afterboot
>>
>>51689306
thanks, will fix

>>51689336
:[

>>51689372
slim will be removed and will be replaced with lighdm
>>
>>51689379
So you install it from the aur and update using your aur helper.
>>51689428
Give the installers/users a selection of WMs/DEs
>>
>>51689420
>manjaro
https://manjaro.github.io/
>antergos
https://antergos.com/
>architect
https://sourceforge.net/projects/architect-linux/
>helmuthdu AUI
https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui

enjoy
>>
>>51689451
Last I checked the bohoomil builds and font collections weren't on AUR.
>>
>>51689428
Might be a good idea to direct people to the Arch Wiki as well
>>
>>51689451
>Give the installers/users a selection of WMs/DEs
was not planned but thinking about it
seems its not as space demanding
and I can shave section 3 quite a lot if needed and theres already leftover space
especially when with lightdm I dont even need to edit xinit and shit..

xfce
cinnamon
gnome shell
kde
lxqt
i3

?
but theres might be better use of space for some miscellaneous shit, like autologin without password, zsh, though taht might be in section 4
>>
>>51682440
AYY
>>
>>51689486
Ubuntu rendering is objectively better for a guide.
>>51689515
>DEs
Gnome
KDE
XFCE
LXDE
Cinnamon
MATE
>WMs
openbox
awesome
i3
$(other ricer shit)
>>
Thanks op my hero
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.