[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>has thousands of dollars rig >doesn't protect it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1449195462339.jpg (145 KB, 718x540) Image search: [Google]
1449195462339.jpg
145 KB, 718x540
>has thousands of dollars rig
>doesn't protect it with an uninterrupted power supply
>>
I thought a power surge was enuff.
>>
I just use a surge protector.
>>
Why would a sudden loss of power be a physical threat to the rig?
>>
>>51679118
1. Power loss means all the RAM in your PC - not just system RAM but all the small caches and buffers - all lose the data they had stored. This is an excellent recipe for data corruption, and why modern OSes and programs try to page/scratch critical data to disk when possible. Even so, if you were in the middle of a cut/paste of a large file and the drive buffer and RAM cleared, you're potentially fucked.

2. Computer electronics are designed to run at a very specific voltages and your PSU is tasked with not just delivering a given voltage, with little deviation over various load levels and with minimal ripple. It's not just over-surge that can damage electronics, if something gets too little voltage over a long enough period it can also get damaged, now imagine if the power dips for some reason but doesn't fully cut out, or the individual components lose power at different times. Again, you could be looking at something screwed up in your system.
>>
File: 1296217640853.jpg (20 KB, 294x219) Image search: [Google]
1296217640853.jpg
20 KB, 294x219
>>51679106
>thinks a ups will stop surges

lol.
>>
>>51679106
so thats how they get people to buy stuff they dont need.
>>
>>51679223
>Even so, if you were in the middle of a cut/paste of a large file and the drive buffer and RAM cleared, you're potentially fucked.
Maybe if you use shit file systems. But if you spend so much money on your computer why would you do that in the first place?

>gets too little voltage over a long enough period it can also get damaged
Not applicable for a power outage. Also only for very low voltages far below the specified one, 0.5 or 1 volt won't do jack.

>or the individual components lose power at different times
Doesn't matter as long as the components share a common ground (which they do -> PSU -> wall socket)
>>
>>51679275

>rekt

Thank you for reckting him and teachin me anon
>>
File: CVWqvE6VAAAZJeg.jpg (101 KB, 928x693) Image search: [Google]
CVWqvE6VAAAZJeg.jpg
101 KB, 928x693
>>51679106
Surely there's no one here who doesn't actually have a UPS.

>>51679234
Major UPS have surge protection built in sempai. Maybe you shouldn't be looking at the cheapest models.
>>
>extremely rare power outage or similar problem happens
>manages to fug my shit up
>return my damaged stuff and get new ones
>problem solved
hm
>>
>>51679630
>having to wait for hardware to be replaced
>having to test hardware for faults
>not just buying a UPS
>>
>>51679532
>>51679106
Insurance is far cheaper than a UPS
>>
>>51679655
yes goy

buy a UPS you might not even need once
>>
>>51679106
But I do have a UPS, a voltage regulator and of course a surge protector. When I'm richer I hope to generate my own power.

I don't trust british gas electricity. Seem to get short powercuts every couple of weeks. Eventually caused an SSD to pack up.
>>
Surge protectors offer protection in amounts called joules. Think of this like a reservoir of protection. If a product has 1,000 joules of protection, that means it can take ten 100 joule hits, or one 1,000 joule hit. Generally, the more joules the better.
>>
But I do use a battery backup.

When I had a huge wind storm a couple weeks ago my entire house went black, but I had plenty of time to calm save all my stuff and shut down my computer normally.

Was even able to use the extra battery power to charge my phone, laptop, and have some extra during the 24+ hour power outage.
>>
My surge protector wasn't enough during one episode of lightning near my house this year. Took out the "surge protector", cable modem, physically blew the top off of my router complete with burn marks on its mainboard, and also fried a Playstation 3 and of course my computer's motherboard. Fortunately the power supply and the rest of the components seemed to escape unscathed. The PC or PS3 weren't even turned on at the time, but that didn't matter.

It was an expensive lesson that taught me I needed to use a better surge protector.
>>
>need backups
>need raid redundancy
>need ups
>need super surge protector
>need nas

THERE'S A LOT OF THINGS I NEED
I AINT GOT THE MONEY YO
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.