[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really wish this will take off on the non-Apple platforms and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Swift_logo_with_text.svg.png (20 KB, 640x187) Image search: [Google]
Swift_logo_with_text.svg.png
20 KB, 640x187
I really wish this will take off on the non-Apple platforms and replace Python and Ruby at least
>>
Well they just finally open sourced it, and it's been pretty steadily climbing in popularity even before that, so it might
>>
>>51676274
why? I already satisfy usability of python(especially, 3). what is better than python in swift?
>>
python has a cython which has similar purpose with swift.
>>
>>51676345
https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/17
>>
>>51676345
The desperate pull requests from all the macfags correcting typos so they can say they contributed to Swift is hilarious.
>>
>>51677968
>mooman219
>>
>>51677968
The comments are goldmine, topkek
>>
Swift is interesting to me because it has the potential to be a low-level compiled language with C-family capability with high-level conveniences that runs across a variety of platforms.

Objective-C tried to be that, and it succeeded in some ways, but was doomed to be tethered to Apple platforms and while its seamless interop with C and C++ is amazing sometimes, C compatibility is directly responsible for stunting Objective-C's growth as a language.

Objective-C also had the problem of Foundation classes only being present in closed Apple toolkits, making it rather useless under Linux and Windows without third-party Foundation reimplementations. Swift won't have that problem as both Foundation and Grand Central Dispatch are getting native, open source Swift ports.
>>
>>51678027
>performances of low-level compiled lang and conveniences of high-level lang
is there any other successful language that try to get it but swift?
>>
>>51676274
What's that? I can't hear you behind my Julia REPL. You've got union types? That's nice.

>>51677735
You've got static compiling now? That's a nice upgrade from Numba. 'Scuse me while I write some macros to generate my API.
>>
>>51678170
>numba
wow, thx senpai! until now, I have used cython and ctypes in python.
>>
>>51676274
>Ruby
feminists won't allow that, anon
>>
>>51678152
Haskell.
>>
>>51678152
C++ is rather successful if you ask me. Modern C++ features makes it rather high level.

Also Rust.
>>
>>51678170
>'Scuse me while I write some macros to generate my API.
That's not really a novel pattern in any programming language. While not strictly macros, you can generate your API declaratively in pretty much any language.

That said, how are you liking Julia? Seems to good to be true to be honest. Can I start replacing python left and right with it?
>>
>>51678466
I merely hear that haskell is used by many people and projects.
if you said successfulness as a matter of CS and artistic way, then maybe it is, but if not, then it is doubtly not.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.