[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to make the transition from Windows to Ubuntu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Notepad_plus_plus.png (78 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Notepad_plus_plus.png
78 KB, 256x256
I'm trying to make the transition from Windows to Ubuntu to escape the botnet. It's going more smoothly than I anticipated, and I've found equivalents for most of the things I need to do.

One thing that I haven't found yet, though, is a text editor I like quite as much as Notepad++. One of the features I'm fond of is the session being automatically saved to temporary files so I can close Notepad++ without needing to overwrite the files I'm currently working with. Are there any Linux text editors that offer that functionality?
>>
> to escape the botnet
I hope you turned off Amazon dash results and haven't installed any nonfree software, anon.

Try Geany btw
>>
Geany definitely.
>>
>not coding in vi
>using proprietary software
>actually using a desktop environment
>costasta.jpeg
>>
>>51676303
>I hope you turned off Amazon dash results
Literally the first thing I did after installing.
>and haven't installed any nonfree software
Aside from the binary AMD driver, I'm clean. Close enough for me.

>Geany
I tried that but didn't immediately see an option to automatically save the session like Notepad++. Did I just miss it?
>>
>>51676437
> Did I just miss it?
Unless you was launching it with -s switch, yes, you miss it somehow.
>>
>>51676252
idk if atom is considered good but apparently it can autosave

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29902834/auto-save-in-atom-editor
>>
>>51676252
>Are there any Linux text editors that offer that functionality?
You're asking the wrong question. Just leave your text editor running.
>>
>>51676252
You have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about. Only criminals would leave Windows for its protections against illegal activities.
>>
>>51677054
t. NSA
>>
>>51676802
Well, I see it can open previously open files, but requires you to overwrite the files or you lose your changes.

>>51676837
Atom's save-session package seems like exactly what I'm looking for, but unfortunately it doesn't appear to actually work. Atom seems like a nice editor, though. I'll play around with it some more and see if I can get it working.

>>51677038
I mean, sure, as long as I don't need to reboot and never lose power unexpectedly.
>>
>>51676837
Turns out Atom does actually do what I want. It just doesn't restore unsaved buffers, which is fine. This'll work, thanks.
>>
>>51677587
I also use Notepad++ for Windows and Atom for Linux. They match quite well.

Although I much prefer N++.
>>
try learning an editor like vim or emacs, its worth learning.
>>
>>51676252
Pretty sure kate was the closest I got to notepad++ familiarity
>>
File: 1446138682548.jpg (38 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1446138682548.jpg
38 KB, 460x345
>>51676252
If you have wine installed, you can use Notepad++ easily. Try Learning Vim or Emacs to, heir pretty handy as well, just cause you can customize them through plugins and their pretty much the de facto text editors for Unix-like systems.
>>
>>51677054
Are you mormon?
>>
>>51677951
*their
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.