[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 2000px-Netflix_2014_logo.svg[1].png (29 KB, 2000x540) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Netflix_2014_logo.svg[1].png
29 KB, 2000x540
Since Netflix plays back videos in a format whose decoding is accelerated by the GPU, can I intercept Netflix's video stream by modifying the decoder in my GPU?
>>
>>51668776
Yes
>>
>>51668791
how 2 do??
>>
>>51668776
Why though? Everything on Netflix is available on torrents and rather way you will be breaking the rules
>>
>>51668807
Because Netflix's archive is neatly organised/consistent and I want a non-modified copy.
>>
>>51668776
Yes, but it would require extensive reverse engineering because the acceleration code is not open source. Also, you would need to get a hold of the part that isn't ran on the GPU some how.

IMHO it would be easier to trick the GPU driver and make a fake frame buffer which you then store full frames in.
>>
>>51668807
Easier to get away with.. undetectable
>>
>>51668825
Good point.
>other idea
Sure, whatever is easier!
>>
>>51668821
>Because Netflix's archive is neatly organised/consistent and I want a non-modified copy.
Netflix heavily modifies content though.

http://gizmodo.com/you-wont-believe-how-much-netflix-crops-your-movies-816686310

Also, the quality is heavily dependent on your internet connection.
>>
>>51668821
How do people modify it on torrents though ? Except the compressed versions that are 720/480p
>>
>>51668847
Yeah I know it's not perfect but at least it's consistent since nothing is modified after being ripped from Netflix which would be the only source. So the content will be consistent within itself.
>>
>>51668884
You could just buy the blueray / dvd and then rip it, you know? Less HTML5 DRM bullshit to deal with.
>>
>>51668877
In addition to no additional quality loss, I want the original stream since it is presumably based on a lossless source so there is no unnecessary loss seen from a filesize perspective. What I mean is, I want all loss to be part of the compression.
>>
>>51668898
For all of them?
>>
>>51668877
> ripping from DVD or bluray
obviously.. keeping same aspect ratio etc
>>
>>51668908
>In addition to no additional quality loss, I want the original stream since it is presumably based on a lossless source so there is no unnecessary loss seen from a filesize perspective. What I mean is, I want all loss to be part of the compression.
There is loss in terms of dropped network packets mang.
>>
>>51668937
That's not what I meant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossy_compression
>>
>>51668847
>>51668908

The current people who capture Netflix do it by using a HDMI splitter that strips the HDCP protection mechanism so they can run their HDMI into a lossless capture card. In the native Codec you are looking at massive files. A 4K netflix episode is over 1TB when captured raw, though you could probably cut it down if you used a more efficient codec like magicYUV.

After they capture the raw footage, they compress it with x264 to get as close to a transparent encode as possible.
>>
>>51669508
By original I mean what is supplied by Netflix. A "transparent encode", as you call it.
>>
>>51670181
what you're referring to is not an encode at all, it's copying the original bitstream

and >>51669508
made no suggestion that he didn't understand what you mean, he simply described what some people are doing
>>
>>51668908
>presumably based on a lossless source
i doubt this is the case

i imagine what netflix get is bluray or at best DCP data (dcp being what cinema's use, which is also lossily compressed)
>>
>>51668776
Why not a hemi capture device?
Play fullscreen and record whole screen... directly from the signal out of the videocard
>>
>>51670333
>didn't even read last 4 posts
>>51669508
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.