[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm building a new PC. I bought the i5 4690k. I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 41QkRglZntL._SX425_.jpg (22 KB, 425x319) Image search: [Google]
41QkRglZntL._SX425_.jpg
22 KB, 425x319
I'm building a new PC. I bought the i5 4690k. I don't plan on overclocking it any time soon. Should I just save my money and use the stock fan for now and then 2 years or so down the road pick up a good water cooler?
>>
Yes.

Unless you're doing video editing or running prime95 benchmarks or something that will stress all cores the stock heatsink will suffice for gaming and basic tasks.
>>
>>51668086
similar question but if my i5 4460 goes up to 60 degrees when I gaym is it bad in the long run?
Not sure if I should bang out 40 bucks for a noctua low profile fan or if it's even worth it
>>
>>51668086
sure
why not?
>>
>>51668144

60 degrees Celsius is fine. General rule of thumb is to keep them under 80c. At 95c they begin thermal throttling (lowering voltage and core speed) and at 105c they shutoff.
>>
>>51668332
Im guessing this rule of thumb applies to GPUs aswell?
>>
>>51668086
Why did you buy an unlocked CPU if you don't plan on overclocking? Waste of money.
>>
>>51668295
I was just wondering if the temps would be alright.
>>
>>51668355
>I don't plan on overclocking it any time soon
>and then 2 years or so down the road pick up a good water cooler?

I'm not saying no. I'm just saying not now.
>>
Currently running a i5 4460, it was fine with the stock fan but I recently upgraded to a cooler master 212 because it was on sale for 20 bucks. Minor differences in temp really. I only hit 45c max while running Prime95 so that's cool.
>>
>>51668419
>I'm just saying not now.
Why not? Just slap a regular aftermarket cooler on it and overclock straight off the bat. Watercooling is a waste of effort for how much of an improvement it is over air and having to scrape 2 year old thermal paste off will probably just put you off the whole thing completely.
>>
mine never reaches above 70 celsius. one year old. isnt very loud either
>>
My 6700k running at stock 4.0ghz sometimes hits 54-55c under water cooling so I'd say a 4690k w/ stock cooler hitting 60 is pretty good.
>>
>>51668474
Is scraping off thermal paste after years is really that much of a mission?
>>
>>51668736
Depends how lazy you are I guess.
>>
>>51668440
how does the cooler compare noise-wise?
Not gonna lie: I'm autistic about noise-levels on my new computer I just built, especially since I came from a turbo jet engine core2duo.
Is the upgrade of the cpu cooler worht it noise-wise? I'm also in it for audio production
>>
>>51668523
I think i5s have a different tolerable heat limit than i7s. I may be wrong though
the case-max (whatever that means) for my i5 4460 is about 80 degrees celcius
>>
This seems like a sqt.
I have a 5930k. Would a hyper 212 be good enough to cool it for video editing?
>>
>>51669084
>turbo jet engine core2duo
Fuck I use my old hp laptop at night sometimes with core 2 duo, it really sounds like a jet taking off everything I load a youtube page.
>>
>>51669544
Why wouldn't it?
>>
>>51669565
I wasn't sure how much hotter 6 cores qould make it.

Would overclocking be ok with that?
>>
>>51669560
yeah man: I used to be so impressed by the flashy logo and the amazing fact that it had 2 cohrez! that I wasn't even annoyed by the noise it made.
It's pretty amazing how quiet and efficient cpus and technology in general is becoming.
>>
Used a stock Intel fan for a recent budget build and it was hitting 66° with very little going on. May have been a faulty fan but have taken it off and ordered a new heat sink.
Related question: what is better for cleaning a CPU, rubbing alcohol or acetone?
>>
>>51669775
I use 91% isopropyl alcohol and q-tips, has worked well for me. Just make sure to dab the q-tips on a paper towel after you dip them in the alcohol so you don't drip any on your board.
>>
>>51668523
Building off this I've got my pump plugged into my normal CPU header with that running at max speed all the time. The fan splitter for the two radiator fans are into one of the various cha fan headers. Is this going to fuck me in the long run? Since the cha fans probably don't speed up corresponding to my CPU temps. Never seen anything above 57c yet.
>>
>>51668086
I ran a 2500k with the stock cooler for a few years before I got an NH-D15, which got me a 4.4Ghz OC. It only goes up to ~50-60 degrees so I could push it harder but I'm pretty content.

OP, your idea is fine. They wouldn't include a stock cooler if it couldn't handle the CPU on stock clocks.
>>
>>51668350
Every architecture has different limits. For example skylake operates about 10-20 degrees cooler than Haswell iirc
>>
>>51668736
it can get pretty dry. a buddy of mine picked up an old amd 8core for free and the paste was literally completely solidified and we had to use steel wool to get that shit off
>>
>>51672890
>amd

No shit.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.