[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can you become a good hacker/programmer without a cs degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: whateverrrrrr.jpg (14 KB, 266x189) Image search: [Google]
whateverrrrrr.jpg
14 KB, 266x189
can you become a good hacker/programmer without a cs degree? I dont care about landing a good job and all dat shizzle, i just want to know if I can become a respected hacker or develop good software without formal education, but with online courses, reading books on my own, making my own projects and tons of effort etc
>>
bumb
>>
You'll need to know a multitude of languages, algorithms, high level mathematics, and the basics of cybersecurity. It is simply easier to learn this stuff as a full time student as opposed to a working adult.
>>
>>51667684
/thread
>>
>>51667684
nice b8
kill you'er self
>>
>>51667684
>>51667716
these fucking retards dont know what they talk about

>implying every hacker went through useless and miserable academia
go back to play "vidya" games retards
>>
>>51667684
>>51667748
well im a n33t and biology dropout, and I have all the time in the world/resources to become a full time student on my own... so can I make it?
>>
>>51667934
I don't know. Can you?
>>
Yes, might take longer though, but all the things you described are things students should be doing to begin with in their off time if possible.

You're not going to learn much if all you do is classwork and don't try to experiment on your own.
>>
>>51668204
well I intend to be studying learning/improving my skills till I die so I really dont care how long it takes to git gud at hacking, its a relief to know it its possible without going to college, thanks
>>
>>51667308
I'm a self-taught, professional developer without a degree. It's actually very common in the field. What all have in common, though, is a passion for programming. If you have it, you're probably already tinkering. If not, the rigor of college might make a code monkey out of you (not a hacker). You'll still probably need years of experience before anyone will hire you though.
>>
>>51668564
as I said, I dont mind landing a job in a big compamy (wouldn't hurt tho), I'm more about doing my own stuff, at my own pace... one of the reasons i quit college, I felt I was going a bit slow
>>
>>51667308
yes, it's totally possible
the companies that are worth working for don't care that much about degrees either
>>
you need to pass CSIII to become an 1337 haxor
>>
>>51667748
Nice reading comprehension. All he said was that it's easier to learn with no other responsibilities.
>>
>>51667748
It indeed isnt necessary, its just a way to help you learn. You would have better reading comprehension skills if you'd have gone through college though.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.