[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
InstallShield on Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: Screenshot_2015-12-03_14-07-53.png (27 KB, 756x507) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-03_14-07-53.png
27 KB, 756x507
Working on it. Progress so far seems good. What do you think /g/uys?
>>
Kill yourself. Windows "installers" are the worst.
>>
>>51664450
but why?
>>
just what linux needed...
>>
It's awfully hard doing apt-get/dnf/zypper install <crap>
>>
>>51664458
>a script that runs <whatever> install <stuff> <whatever> install <deps> && <deps> configure -x -y -z so that your software just works after installing because initial setup is handled at the same time is the worst
>>
It's just a frontend for your package manager anyway, who the fuck cares, nothing changes.
>>
>>51664458

>inb4 linux fanboy

I'm not making a Windows Installer, I;m making a Linux .deb installer so newcomers don't have to dick around with the command line to install a damn .deb file like i did when i booted Linux for the first time. :P
>>
>>51664532

The reason /g/ bothers with Linux in the first place is that it isn't very straightforward to use. They feel special.
>>
>>51664566
How can you get more straightforward than
yum install package

Are you fucking retarded.
>>
>>51664544
Don't some distros already open .deb files in their package tool by default?
>>
>>51664450
epic xDD might as well include some hidden adware xDD
>>
>>51664582

9/10 times that takes a shit and doesnt work
>>
>>51664591
It only doesn't work if you don't have dependencies.
>>
>>51664581

You can aswell open a CMD on Windows and cd to the folder and run the insaller exe with /q, cant you?

You miss the point.
>>
So how will this work better if there's a dependency conflict?
>>
File: header6.jpg (19 KB, 440x300) Image search: [Google]
header6.jpg
19 KB, 440x300
>not naming all the binaries in your open source project .EXE just to mess with people
ishygddt
>>
GDebi used to do this. Is that still around?
>>
>>51664544
Ever heard of gdebi?
>>
>>51664450
There's gDebi. Furthermore that's usually not how it works. Installing a software is different in linux.
Unlike windows, people do not download installer and just click nexts.
Open terminal, look for package and install with your package manager - that's how we do it.
>>51664600
Yes, but $(sudo pacman -S <crap>) does not need you to open browser, download appropriate installer and go to the download directory.
>>
>>51664673

Look, people like it pretty. GDebi is slow and unstable. To look up dependencies and the package description must extract it, which takes ages.
>>
>>51664450
why are you even using linux?
>>
bait/10
>>
>>51664692
Are you trying to make a universal package install shield, like one that's compatible with .deb, .rpm or .pkg.tar.gz etc?
>>
>>51664450
Do go on, OP. These fags are fags. It's nice to see streamlined solutions to user-unfriendly problems.
>>
File: Homer+Fuck+You.png (62 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Homer+Fuck+You.png
62 KB, 300x225
>>51664695

To talk shit on 4chan faster
>>
>>51664726

That could work out, we were thinking about that, but still need to resolve dependency problems. For ex. if you install bash using deb and then try to install a program with rpm it will complaint bash is not installed, while it is, only with deb.
>>
Anon, exe downloads to click and install are kinda dead.

I mean, not just because Linux isn't using them since forever (with its package managers most commonly downloading and installing depedency-managed packages).

But also because plebs now kinda are just fine with app stores and shit on Android and IOS - you know, their primary personal computers.

Just make (another?) one of these.

Hell, even Windows and OSX seem to be intent to migrate to App stores.
>>
>>51664807
I agree. Normies are getting used to the windows app-store anyways (which is quite similar to ubuntu's software center). What I want to say is Microsoft itself is learning from Play store or app store.
>>
>>51664807
>>51664450
>>51664860
Ctd.
I won't be surprised if MS pushes the software companies to publish their softwares only via app stores. It will be serve their mutual benefits.
>Publishing softwares on appstore means no worries of building installers for tech-illiterate customers
>Piracy would become harder
>MS appstore becomes the to-go way to install software for all the plebs and failed hipsters alike
>MS gets to screw over popular software portals like cnet, softonic etc
>More chance of injecting botnet through streamlined net-install
Jews will literally do anything to make it happen
>>
>>51664946
You forgot the common 15-30% provision on sales.

Everyone wants to own the market places and transactions, eh.
>>
>>51664600
>I've never used linux before.
let me explain how a package manager works.
-I want to install a piece of software, say some shiny new bot-net browser.
-I open terminal or the friendly distribution package manager*
*{select distributions only}
-I type "sudo apt-get install bot-net_broswer" or "sudo packman -S bot-net_browser" or "yum install bot-net_browser" or if my distribution has a friendly gui, search bot-net_browser and click "install"
-the packagae manager works out what packages bot-net_browser needs to run, looks at my own system to see how many of those packages I already have installed and then downloads and installs the difference.
-because bot-net_browser was not written by a complete fuckwitt, it uses a bunch of common packages which offer services other applications use and so only requires a few extra packages.
-congratulations, bot-net_browser is now installed alongside all the other browsers at a fraction of the space and effort, what's more if bot-net_browser is 3botnet5you, uninstalling is simple, painless and complete.

downloading a rar containing a complete set of binaries and such from some shifty third party website, unzipping into your ever growing collection of bitcoin miners and keyboard loggers, then navigating to the binary, typing "run fuckMyShitUp.exe" is not the same thing.
>>51664566
You couldn't be more wrong.
>>51664450
How does it feel to be part of the problem?
>>
>>51664450
Why not NSIS instead ?
>>
>>51664450
OpenSuse /SLE has one-click installers which are basically that.
>>
File: 54d46015dd1f0_-_esq-taken-de.jpg (203 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
54d46015dd1f0_-_esq-taken-de.jpg
203 KB, 1200x630
>>
>>51664450
>making a linux installation more troublesome with all those clicks of the mouse

This isn't the solution to terminal cancer.
>>
>>51664450
You are worse than hitler
>>
Make it set your default homepage to ask.com
>>
you're doing great op, don't listen to the gnu/retards
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.