[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aloha, /g/. I just put a system together with an i3 4370, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: obsidian-750d-2-1280x1024.jpg (163 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
obsidian-750d-2-1280x1024.jpg
163 KB, 1280x1024
Aloha, /g/. I just put a system together with an i3 4370, and it's idling between 60 and 67 C with the stock cooler and arctic silver 5. Is that normal? When I google the issue all I can find is people talking about getting similar temps while running Prime 95, nobody seems to talk about idle temps.
>>
Idle should be around 45-55C
>>
>>51658956
that's high. Are you sure the cooler is properly attached?

What are the temps while under load?
>>
>>51658956
That's super high for idle temps, even with a shitty stock cooler. Is the cpu fan running?

Take the cooler off, clean all the thermal paste off it and the cpu, and reinstall it.
>>
>>51659165
>>51659204
CPU fan and both case fans are running.
This is the first time I've used a stock cooler, so while I'm fairly sure it's properly attached, I'm not 100% since I didn't look at the instructions. I'm going to remove it in the morning and clean/reapply the arctic silver and actually take a look at how this thing is supposed to attach.

Honestly, 45 - 55C seems high for idle for me, so I might just end up ditching the stock cooler and throwing a 212 Evo on here, assuming I get proper temps after reapplying the past and reseating the cooler.
>>
>>51659536
So I decided to take a look at it tonight, and after reapplying the thermal paste and reseating the cooler, it's idling around 50c, but it's still hitting high 60's at about a 40% load, and getting into the low 70's at almost anything more than 50% for more than 1 minute or so. Temps jump around like crazy, more than 7C differences in 30 seconds or so.

Should I throw a 212 evo on here, or should I return the CPU and try another one first?
>>
>>51659884
If you already have a 212 evo I would say try that before returning it. Try check the temps in the bios as well. It could possibly be the program you're using is messed up.
>>
>>51659911
I don't have the cooler at the moment, I'd either be ordering one or picking one up on the trip to return this CPU. I knew the stock coolers were shitty, but I had no idea they were almost useless like this.
>>
>>51659925
>>51659925
>I don't have the cooler at the moment

You're probably better off just returning the processor then.

>I knew the stock coolers were shitty, but I had no idea they were almost useless like this.

They're not shitty dude. They work perfectly fine for stock speeds.You either have a broken cooler or a broken cpu. You also could possibly just have a messed up temp sensor on the cpu which is reporting the wrong temps.

I'm currently running a 4670k@4GHz on the stock cooler and I only ever get to 68c.
>>
>>51659984
Alright, thinking I'll take a ride back to Microcenter tomorrow and switch this out, maybe for a 4170. Is there a big difference between the Intel 4400 and 4600 graphics? I'm not planning on doing any heavy gaming with this thing, but the 4600 was the main reason I went with the 4370 over the 4170.
>>
>>51658956
did you install the heatsink properly?

is it tight?

also why did you use artic silver on a stock heatsink just use the pre applied paste
>>
>>51660084
Yeah, heatsink is on nice and tight after redoing everything. I used the Arctic silver because that's supposed to be better all around, isn't it? I mean I've only built systems with aftermarket coolers, but I always used it with those and had good results. Is there a reason it wouldn't work as well with a stock cooler?
>>
>>51660022
I don't know what the performance difference is between the two. I would assume it's only slightly faster than the HD 4400. Although the 4370 is clocked 100MHz higher as well.
>>
>>51660118
>Is there a reason it wouldn't work as well with a stock cooler?

It would work perfectly fine with a stock cooler. Assuming it was applied properly.
>>
>>51660154
That's what I thought
>>
Oh something else I thought of OP. You mentioned microcenter. I think they allow you to build your computer in store to make sure all the parts work. You should see if you can take you computer up there and install the CPU in store to make sure it's getting normal temps.
>>
>>51660224
They let you do that? Huh, I had no idea. I might take advantage of that, considering it's about a 45 minute drive to get there.
>>
my i5 2500k used to idle in the high 40s/low 50s with stock cooler. My cable management is shit and my ambient room temperature is probably 80F. I eventually put a 212 on it and saw 10C decrease. i dunno what to tell you, other than supposedly the newer 3D processors i.e. haswell run a bit hotter from what I understand. It could be normal in other words. Google what temps these processors run at before running out and switching it.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.