[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello I recently moved into a room mate situation and my room
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: summerglauterminator.jpg (316 KB, 610x800) Image search: [Google]
summerglauterminator.jpg
316 KB, 610x800
hello I recently moved into a room mate situation and my room mate controls the internet connection. due to this I am using a power line adapter from the living room to my bed room which is easily 50+ feet away so I can't use any cables. I am getting 3.9 megabyte second downloads which doesn't cut it because I download about 100 gigs a day.

The router we are using is a Linksys EA3500 N300 ...

if I buy a faster router will the power line adapter be affected by that and I will get much higher speeds? What type of router should I aim for or is there a better power line adapter I can get? I purchased the Netgear PowerLine Adapter 1200 series and it is an awesome alternative to slow wifi but I would like faster speeds

Do I need a better router or a better adapter at this point? Thank you!
>>
>>51658111
> hello I recently moved into a room mate situation and
Your room mate controls the connection in which sense?
>I am getting 3.9 megabyte second downloads which doesn't cut it because I download about 100 gigs a day.
Powerline adapter is the limiting factor, you could have a fiber line hooked up to the PL, it wont increase your speed... also 100 GB/day?? WTF
>>
>>51658187
well my room mate is a 60 year old woman but she pays for internet. despite the fact I am an IT professional she is okay with upgrading any of the products to make things better. I can't put the modem in my room because there are phone connections on it she uses for her home phone. Maybe there is other options available and I can put the modem in my room and allow her to use the power line adapter (she plays facebook games whereas I usenet a LOT of data daily my previous cap was 2 TB a month and I would go over it all the time).

The PL1200 I am using advertises gigabit speeds, but the router is only N300 wouldn't the router at least need to be able to support gigabit speeds?

Thank you for answering my question. It sounds like I need to figure out a solution for her phone in the living room so I can put the router in my room.
>>
there is no information on google about how a router affects a power line network this is ridiculous. you were the only person to answer it so once again thanks ...

it feels that the router is a little slow though based on some speedtests I just ran and what is being advertised at the ISP
>>
>>51658915
>there is no information on google about how a router affects a power line network this is ridiculous
Because the powerlink replaces the physical layer on your network and uses RF over old copper wires to send a signal to the other side... you now should be able to see why replacing the router with a faster one will not make a difference. In other words, powerline is a very 'last resource' as a connectivity solution because it relies on RF over likely shitty wiring to work.
>>
can't you just run ethernet from the router to your room
>>
Stop being a filthy pirate, you goddamned leech.
>>
>>51660321
thanks for assuming I'm a pirate when that isn't what I'm downloading for!

turns out after an hour of testing the main room with a modem gets 35 MBPS down on the ROUTER and directly connected to the cable modem. I am getting the SAME on the powerline adapter. It is simply the internet in this area is FAR lesser than where I previously lived. I was getting 150 MBPS down and about 50 up for 100 bucks and here for the same price it seems no matter what I get no more than 35 MBPS

In short, this power line adapter is giving me MAXIMUM internet speeds based on my ISP. AMAZING I won't have to move anything just get used to having 3 megabytes a second and not 15-20!

this makes me cheer :D
>>
>>51658985
thanks again I spent a long time working on this tonight and have surgery at 6 AM so it was nice to know I need nothing to worry about for the time being. now I can download rainbow six siege (WHICH I PAID FOR) knowing that is the fastest it will download.
>>
Why not just use wifi?
>>
>>51658342
>well my room mate is a 60 year old woman but she pays for internet.
In other words, you moved back in with your mom?
>>
>>51658111
>50+ feet away so I can't use any cables

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5026
>>
>>51658111
I want to bite that ass.
>>
File: Untitled.png (109 KB, 2037x2043) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
109 KB, 2037x2043
>>51658342
>despite the fact I am an IT professional

>>51658342
>It sounds like I need to figure out a solution for her phone in the living room so I can put the router in my room.

>>51660674
>It is simply the internet in this area is FAR lesser than where I previously lived.

tell us more, OP
>>
>>51658342
>my room mate is a 60 year old woman
just say you live with ur mum m8
>>
Ask to put router in your room. Proceed to use the powerline to hook up a second router as an independent connection and hook up her phone connection and Facebook shit there. This way you can obtain control over internet since you have the 1st router.
>>
>>51658342
you are not an IT professional.
if that were the case, you wouldn't be asking these questions.

real IT professionals dont ask questions here, we know better than that. we come to /g/ because we're masochists and hate ourselves almost as much as we hate our users.
>>
>>51658111
I don't remember those panties
>>
>>51660674
You didn't bother to check that out first?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.