[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got a new motherboard because my old one got fucked by my Win10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 8735_big.jpg (168 KB, 1000x740) Image search: [Google]
8735_big.jpg
168 KB, 1000x740
Got a new motherboard because my old one got fucked by my Win10 evaluation copy expiring.
BIOS wouldn't even load
So I upgraded from my Mini/MicroATX and got a huge MB with 4 slots for RAM instead of 2, and 7 SATA ports instead of 4. All in all, it was a major step up from my last one.
The Motherboard is a Gigabyte F2A88X-UP4
I think I might have fucked up though, because it keeps shitting itself and restarting every 15 minutes. How do I fix it? I looked it up online and saw that I needed more standoffs, but I want to make sure the motherboard isn't just shit before I spend any more money, and while I can still get a refund for it.

Pic related, this is it

What do you guys know about Gigabyte, or even this MB?
>>
>>51656900
Windows 10 did not fuck ur bios. Better check ur PSU or adding cards
>>
>>51656930
It gave me warnings that if I did not replace it with a full version of Windows 10, my computer would stop working.
I looked it up online and people were having the same problem
I kind of like all the extra shit this new motherboard has, so please keep this discussion about whether or not I can fix it and how
>>
>>51656930
In addition, when I turned on my computer with my old MB, the bios wouldn't even load. I'd get only a black screen. I tried unplugging the Win10 HD, but keeping my win7 HD in, and still got a black screen
>>
>>51656998
Have you ran a memtest to test the ram
>>
>>51657062
How do I do that?
I made this computer a few years ago, and know some basics about what everything in the computer does, but that's about how much I know.
Right now, I'm taking it out of the case because I read online it might help

I have 2x4 GB and 1x2 GB sticks of RAM installed now
>>
>>51657440
Its a utility on Windows repair disc and on various Linux distro. It test you ram for any and all errors. Also try to run the 4 GB sticks because the board might not like the mix and mach setup
>>
File: 1371118517833.jpg (8 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
1371118517833.jpg
8 KB, 246x205
>>51657440
Yea by not working windows 10 meant the OS. There is no way they wiped or coreupted your BIOS just because your trial expired unless you got the trial from some shady russian site.

Remove all but 1 stick of ram in the outer most slot and see if it boots.

Are all the ram sticka the same conpany, model, timing, and speed? Because if not, RAM not talking to each other properly would cause instability and no boots.
>>
>>51657600
>>51657592

The differing RAM sticks were only introduced with the new MB
They are all Corsair, but the extra one I tried with the new MB is a different line from Corsair
In other words, I had the problem with Win10 before I tried new RAM and MB
The Win10 trial was legit, from Microsoft

Is it safe for me to connect my Win10 drive?
>>
>>51656900

I've literally just fixed 2 pc's in a row now where they had the exact same behavior: black screen no bios, no post. RE-SEAT THE RAM! Presto, PC boots. Motherboards do bend and sticks do come loose ya know.
>>
>>51657719
If I can fix my old MB, that would be great.

But I'd also like to see if I can get my new one working
I just had an idea.
My win7 HD (the one that restarts every 20 min) is Seagate
I was still nee to computers when I got it (it was my first HD) but I know now Seagate is pretty shit

How does a HD at the end of its life perform?
Could this be the HD's fault?
>>
>>51657701
If youve had the problem in the past, something in the build is fucked up. There is no way an OS, least of all a widely used one like Windows would ever have the problem of corrupting BIOS because of an expired trial. MS would be burned at the proverbial stake if this was a thing.

Take all the ram sticks out. Pop the battery out of the motherboard to clear the CMOS. With the battery out and the pc unplugged from the wall, hit the power button a few times to completely discharge the system. After about 15minutes, pop the battey back into the motherboard. Pop a single stick in, preferably a 4gb module. Try to see if it posts.

And you say new motherboard and new ram? If the board isn't from the same manufacturer as the old one, it usually requires a reinstall of windows because of completely different motherboard drivers.
>>
>>51657701
Yes, you can plug it back in.

No, there's no risk unless you've got some incredibly sophisticated virus, etc. aimed specifically at hardware damage... which is so unlikely it's not worth considering.

Windows 10 (even though it's shitty) won't mess up your motherboard.
Now, you CAN end up with UEFI BIOS screwups because of it, and those are solved by resetting the CMOS.

You may have also have had a weird coincidence where your mobo decided to die on you at this odd moment.
>>
>>51657760
Or it could be bad ram. Do everything i said in >>51657772. If you can get it to post, and stay on through various stress tests, the hardware is fine. Then you have to check the disks.

Seagate drives are fine if in the 1tb or lower category. Just as reliable as any other drive maker.

Eliminate one thing at a time. A computer doesn't need an OS to be able to boot into BIOS. If you can't even reach BIOS, somethig is wrong and that needs to be addressed first.
>>
>>51657772
Windows XP and onward have a thing called SYSPREP, which allows you to prepare the OS to be moved to dissimilar hardware. But it's gotta be done before you make the hardware change, while the old shit still works.

Not sure how Windows 10's version of this works, if it does, but Windows 7 should work just fine if you get it done using the old board, and then move it to the new one.
>>
>>51657772
The CMOS battery looks like a nickel, right?
>>
>>51657811
Kinda, yeah.

It's a button cell type thing, yeah. Flat, about the size of a nickel.
>>
>>51657811
Yup. Usually held in by a small pin that you can use your nail or a small flat head screw driver to pop the battery out. It is like spring loaded and should pop out as soon as you release the pin. If you're prying it off the board, you're doing it wrong.

Make sure the entire PC is off and unplugged from the wall and you pressed the power button multiple times. Then pop the battery.
>>
OP here, just wanted to thank you guys so much for helping me
Some friends are coming over soon and I need to get ready. I didn't think this would take as long as it is now when I started.
If the thread is dead when I get back, I'll make another
I honestly expected you guys to laugh at me and tell me to go to tech support or something
I haven't solved this yet, but i still want to say thanks, /g/
>>
>>51657834
Also ground itself by touching bare metal on the case and PSU so u don't discharge static electricity to the board and fry it
>>
>>51657914
Yea that too.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.