[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Combining different DIMMs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: dimms.jpg (162 KB, 1364x438) Image search: [Google]
dimms.jpg
162 KB, 1364x438
hey /g/. I hope this isn't considered personal tech support.

I got pic related on my hands and 3 of the orange GEIL DIMMs already installed on my computer.

How can I make this Corsair Dimm work along with the rest of my RAM?

I have done some googling, there seem to be a lot of things that need to be configured. is it even possible?
>>
>>51655930

No idea, but I have new, fast Corsair RAM running alongside my years-old G.Skill 1600 MHz RAM.

They're all just running at the slower speed. Zero problems. RAM compatibility is entirely a case-by-case thing.
>>
>>51655960
from what I've read, the mobo usually just clocks them all to run at the slower speed that all of the DIMMs can support.
However it seems to be a different case for the voltages. I dont know what needs to happen with those.
>>
The motherboard should sort it out automatically. If not you'll just need to set the timings/voltage. Either way it won't hurt anything to try. Throw them in.
>>
>>51656070
I've already tried just popping in the 4th dimm. It didn't work.
So I guess i have to modify the timings/voltage. The thing is I dont know how i should set them?
I suppose I should lower the Corsair's Voltage/Timing to match the GEIL one? Also, which part of the label on the DIMM describes the timings and which the voltages?

It says VOLTAGE : 2.0 V
and I suppose 4-4-4-12 are the timings?
>>
>>51656129
Bump.

Also I am going to be trying it out, but should I bring the voltage of the GEIL Dimms up to 1.5 and the timings to 5-5-5-15 , or should i drop the CORSAIR ram to 2.0V and 4-4-4-12 timings?
>>
>>51656129
The corsair looks like it says 2.10 volts. No harm in running the GEIL slightly high. For timings you want 5-5-5-15
>>
>>51656199
great. thanks. I will be trying this now. If that fails to work, should i give it a try to lower the corsair to 2.0 V , or try the 4-4-4-12 timings? or is lowering the timings a nogo?
>>
>>51656241
Lowering the timings is a no-go because the other ram isn't designed to run that low. Higher is fine. Voltage probably doesn't even matter.
>>
>>51656264
I thought so. Thanks, time to see what happens.
>>
>>51655930
I FUCKING DID IT /g/ !
Now i have 4 gigs of ram!
And a couple of hours ago i OCed my e6750 to 3.4 GHZ so now i have an actually half-decent system until i can buy a new one! damn tihs fucking rocks.

Just thought I should update the thread.
Thanks to those who helped!
>>
>>51657414
grats OP

just make sure you don
t fry your shit OCing. hopefully mobo and PSu can handle well.
>>
File: 4L_INnLXzFj.jpg (94 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
4L_INnLXzFj.jpg
94 KB, 620x413
>>51657414
>tfw /g/ actually helped someone today
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.