[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't reinstalled my W7 for over 4 years and I am tempted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: windows-10-logo[1].jpg (65 KB, 800x523) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-logo[1].jpg
65 KB, 800x523
I haven't reinstalled my W7 for over 4 years and I am tempted to install W10 instead of reinstalling W7. Should I?

Please, don't mention any GNU+Linux distros. I used various in the past and I really appreciate it as a programming/work environment but I can't make the switch right now.
>>
File: 1442281493635.png (518 KB, 1131x707) Image search: [Google]
1442281493635.png
518 KB, 1131x707
>>51654737

> I really appreciate it as a programming/work environment but I can't make the switch right now.

I know this is a lie but thanks for caring about /g/'s feelings.

Also, no, anon come on, seriously, just say no.
Do not install Botnet 10
>>
>>51654737
I personally like the speed of Windows 8 and later quite a bit. I find Windows 7 to be a dog.

That said, however, I detest Microsoft's mining of user information. What I've done to counter that is to use Windows Server instead of the desktop garbage.

I would recommend Windows Server 2012 R2 or, if you can wait for it, Windows Server 2016 (i.e., Windows 10 server).
>>
>>51654764
>I know this is a lie but thanks for caring about /g/'s feelings.

Not really, I really enjoyed how streamlined and straight-forward it is to install various tools and libs as well as overall customizability.
>>
>>51654737
Windows 10 is not too bad when you strip it down from the stock apps. It's fast, very functional with the new window snapping and multiple desktops.

It feels like a really decent OS, BUT the stock apps are complete and utter trash and there's too much "telemetry" and "logging" for sakes of "personalization" and "improving" your "experience".
>>
>>51654764
Replying to the image:

You sign up for high levels of monitoring by using the preview builds, that's what they are made for.

Turn off Cortana and shit if you don't like it.

That ilne is referring to Microsoft's online services such as email and onedrive.
>>
>>51655294

>high levels of monitoring by using the preview builds

Implying that changes, ever.
>>
>>51654737

Windows 8.1 + Classic Shell is nice.

Things I hate in Windows 10 (I really need to just store this in a file for easy copy-pasta when these threads come up):

* Didn't add anything I care about. It has virtual desktops, but Win32 has *always* had virtual desktops, there was just no UI for managing them. VirtuaWin has been around for years and handles this.

* Added annoying metro bullshit. The metro-fied Settings window that was shittily implemented (try the dark theme and watch it fill with white, then go, "oh yeah" and re-fill itself with dark color). The Photos "app" that churned the fuck out of my D: drive, apparently indiexing my thousands of photos. I have zero interest in Photos, and it took me over a week to even figure out that was the culprit. All the Metro bullshit apps run entirely under "Runtime Broker" or some such vaguely named process.

* Fucking everything is white. I don't know which window is active because all the titlebars are white. There's a faint glow around the active window, but what the fuck, why are they actively trying to impede my productivity?

* Bullshit in the start menu. It's creeping toward ads and self-promotion bullshit. I don't need to see a stock ticker or MSN Business promo when I'm just trying to launch a terminal. Again, why are they actively trying to impede my productivity for THEIR gain?

Anyway, I really didn't feel that it added anything over 8.1 + Classic Shell, and I found the UI changes to be profoundly irritating. I used it for several months. While I stopped getting frustrated by the UI, I still never liked it.

8.1 certainly isn't perfect (those Duplo-sized window borders), but Win10 isn't an improvement IMO.
>>
>>51655270
>with the new window snapping and multiple desktops.

VirtuaWin for multiple desktops and WinSplit Revolution for far superior window snapping.
>>
So if I install 7 then use Daz loader to crack it, can I then use the media tool to get a valid win10 install?
>>
>>51655391
I don't like using 3rd party tools for interface enhancement in Windows, it doesn't feel right and consistent. Overall, fixing the proprietary OS that is advertised as an ultimate productive environment doesn't feel right.
>using Classic Shell for Start menu, Everything for search, something else for virtual desktops, another tool for window snapping, a hack for dark theme, a 3rd party debloat utility or compiling a ps script yourself, etc etc
By this point, why not just use Linux or OS X?
>>
File: windows-7-logo.png (95 KB, 537x534) Image search: [Google]
windows-7-logo.png
95 KB, 537x534
>>51654737
>install W10
Are you indian? If not, then what the fuck is wrong with you? Install 7 of course. It's the only usable version of WIndows as of today.
>>
>>51655428
Yes.
>>
>>51655506
>it doesn't feel right and consistent.

What the fuck are you talking about?

You assign EXACTLY whatever keyboard shortcuts you prefer. You configure EXACTLY the number virtual desktops. You configure EXACTLY the snapping behavior you want.

It's vastly superior than the shit that Microsoft finally introduced 15 years late.

>By this point, why not just use Linux or OS X?

Okay, you're an idiot. You think that tacking on Classic Shell and a couple of utilities means you might as well use Linux? You're literally retarded.

Oh, and I just noticed the list of bullshit that I never said

>Everything for search ... a hack for dark theme, a 3rd party debloat utility or compiling a ps script yourself, etc etc

What the fuck are you even blathering about?
>>
>>51654737
>>
>>51654737
install gentoo
>>
>>51654737

you never reinstall a stable system

it`s often easier to troubleshoot and fix the system rather than do a full reinstall, which might take you days.
>>
File: do it now.jpg (21 KB, 360x358) Image search: [Google]
do it now.jpg
21 KB, 360x358
DO it, DO IT NOW
>>
As just a general user, casual gamer ets, I find 10 to be not a lot different than 7 in everyday computing respects. I never use the ap store etc, just use the same programs i used when on 7. The only reason that I went to 10 was that i could be running a legal copy with no monetary expense. I dont like the whole log into microsdoft account thing, but i believe that you can use an offline account if not on the insider track.
There is one seriously annoying aspect from my perspective... Windows update decides on its own when to DL updates, though you can chose to restart at a later time instead... It generally does this at some time when you would prefer to use the bandwidth for something else. Might be less of an issue with a higher speed connection though.
If i had a legal copy of 7, or even 8.1 I would probably switch back really, haver considered it anyway.
>>
if it works, keep it. i went to 10 from about 2 months ago and i have happy with it
>>
File: PARJEET.jpg (135 KB, 618x505) Image search: [Google]
PARJEET.jpg
135 KB, 618x505
>>51654737
First thing in the morning, what do I see? A pile of shit staring at me. I close my eyes, I step away. No matter where I go, there’s no getting away. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo.

Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, next to you. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, where is that loo?

I step out on the street. What do I smell? Shit that’s stinky to high hell. I hold my breath, I step away. But everywhere I go, there’s no getting away.

Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, next to you. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, where is that loo.

Shit, not shit, this shit, that shit. Let’s see now. Let me check. Happy birthday. Happy birthday.

Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, next to you. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, where is that loo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
>>
File: Untitled.png (68 KB, 906x864) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
68 KB, 906x864
>>51655382
Last update lets you change the title bars.
>>
>>51656297
That's my philosophy too, most of the time.
This time though, I have spent literally months looking for a solution with no success hence reinstall.
>>
>>51657253
>Scratchpad
Do you even encode?
>>
>>51660715
You didn't know you can encode from scratchpad settings?
>>
>>51657211
what. the. fuck.

it's really on the unicef india youtube channel.
>>
Rhe only thing I care about is compatibility really, and Win 10 is either working or not working for various VNs, Hgames and even some regular old videogames.

Also the modding etc comunities at large are not really supporting W10 so much yet usually FAQs say, "Using W10? Try this, else you're shit out of luck."
>>
Install it and use OOSU10 to debloat it.
>>
File: 208.jpg (128 KB, 451x564) Image search: [Google]
208.jpg
128 KB, 451x564
any shills online? where can i download activated windows 10?
>>
>>51661535
Torrent Windows 7 and activate it with daz loader, then use the media creation tool to free upgrade to Windows 10. Get Windows 7 Ultimate, so that it upgrades to Windows 10 Pro.
>>
>>51661535
Download more RAM first
>>
>>51661578
no, i have shitty home internet, i need to download iso at work also
>upgrading
i want a clean install
>>
>>51661595
>upgrade
>don't keep any personal file or setting
>delete windows.old after upgrade

How hard could it be?
>>
>>51661636
i just want to install it in virtual machine?
>>
>>51661595
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (21 KB, 697x251) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
21 KB, 697x251
whats the difference?
>>
>>51661645
Then get the Windows Toolkit
>>
>>51654737
>windows
>>>/v/
>>
>>51655896
stay mad
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.