[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help me oh god
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: f0b.png (44 KB, 864x576) Image search: [Google]
f0b.png
44 KB, 864x576
Hi /g/, I've come to you to ask for guidance.

I've built a PC before, but I just used a guide online (it was for someone else.) My uncle gave me his computer for my birthday, it's a custom build, though not well done.

While shipping the computer the videocard (GPU?) was damaged, and so the screen was wonky. I got UPS to replace it, but they gave me a very different (Much much smaller) part. I want to upgrade my PC to play Fallout 4, but I'm not sure what to buy.

I'm not sure how to check my parts list, though device manager lists an AMD processor, and my new AMD videocard. I read online that I should buy a GPU to improve performance, but someone else told me that a videocard and a GPU are the same thing, so did UPS send me a super shitty GPU instead of replacing the good one? The computer ran games like crap before.

What should I do? How can I tell what parts I need to buy, and is a GPU the same as a videocard? I replaced the part of the computer you plug the HDMI cable into.
>>
>>51652301
Install gentoo
Then kill yourself my man
>>
>>51652301
A graphics card is a GPU, yes. Download Speccy and post a screenshot so we can see your specs.
>>
File: 1448594038705.png (49 KB, 380x288) Image search: [Google]
1448594038705.png
49 KB, 380x288
>insert Gentoo meme
install Speccy, it is a useful tool to check temps/hardware
take a screenshot of the specs, that'll give us more useful information
>>
A GPU is the same thing as a video card, it's used to process things that have to do with graphics, like a game, all the shadows, lighting effects, and textures etc are handled by the graphics card, but you need a CPU that can keep up with the graphics card, to process information. Basically, it's combined effort, but what takes most of the load in gaming, is the GPU. We would need to know your specs to help you more, so install speccy, and tell us what it says.
>>
>>51652393
>>51652956
>>51654031
Okay, give me a minute and I'll do so. Thanks guys!
>>
File: Snippy screenshot.png (39 KB, 674x536) Image search: [Google]
Snippy screenshot.png
39 KB, 674x536
>>51654192
>>51654031
>>51652956
>>51652393
So I have the old GPU sitting on my desk. It's much bigger, and it says SAPPHIRE on it, though when I used device manager it had the same name "AMD Radeon". I want to learn more about this subject, and thank you for answering my question!
>>
>>51654350
>1024mb
USP ripped you off, this card is pretty much wortheless
my laptop has 4x as much gpu memory in it.
>>
>>51654437
How can I find out how much the old one had? And what's good?
>>
>>51654437
>laptop with 4GB VRAM
Post proof
>>
>>51654499
It has 2 gpu's inside.
nvidia gtx850m
Intel hd graphics 4600 (integrated but benchmark stuff says 2Gb)
>>
>>51654472
Google
expensive is often good.
>>
>>51654613
That's pretty neat.
>>
>>51654650
it has the nvidia housefireX® tech.
it may not bring dow the twin towers but it will heat up school tables.
It runs pretty neat too.

But still, when i can spare the money i am going to build my own desktop.
Maybe even my own server (moar cpu's, moar ram slots, moar ethernet ports) but i will pick one that goes well with graphics cards and that supports a shitload of displays.
>>
>>51654472
You'll need your gpu to have 2x 1024mb or something like 2 gigs+ gpu memory for anything like the latest games. Other than that and the fact that you have a dell ( just my opinion ) it looks like you got yourself a decent rig. Start coding soon and come back if you have any questions. Daily Programming Thread is your friend.
>>
>>51654350
>>51652301

google powersupply, and than tell us what the 12v line amps are, this should be on the sticker, and easy to read, without that, we cant tell you shit.

if you still have the other gpu, tell us what it is or take a picture of it so we can tell.

as it stands, that cpu is going to be a bit of a bottleneck in most games that come out today,

depending on the powersupply, i would recommend a 280x or a 390... its a bit expensive (150 used up to 350$) but will easily play most games at an acceptable frame rate.

as for the monitor, i play at 1080p or 1200p so i cant tell you shit about what 768p would do, you are rendering something like half the pixels, so i have to assume you would get an overall better frame rate than i do even if you got a 280X, just look into either limiting tessalation on amd hardware, because nvidia fucking went overboard on it again to kill amd hardware.
>>
>>51654437
depends on the card it replaced, there is a good chance it may have been a side grade or minor upgrade considering that cpu.

oh... i just noticed that motherboard... very good chance it was an upgrade.
>>
>>51655328
This would be on the physical power supply? I can take the computer apart and take a picture.
>>51655320
This looks like it can play games at a reasonable speed, and I can get one for a good price. GeForce GTX 970. What do I need to keep in mind when I consider purchasing one?

>>51655328 said to be careful of power supply, will it fit in my case, is that a concern?
>>
>>51656196
yea on the power supply itself

also, size is a bit of a concern... forgot about that, if you have a ruler also take a picture of your case with that on the ground in front of it so we can get an idea of the clearance you have.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.