[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, /g/, I have a question for you. How can I be 100% certain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: GNU plus Linux Distro Timeline.png (169 KB, 1965x1417) Image search: [Google]
GNU plus Linux Distro Timeline.png
169 KB, 1965x1417
Hi, /g/, I have a question for you.

How can I be 100% certain that my Windows 7 Enterprise is not spying on me?
I installed it from a 2011 ISO, disabled Wangblows updates completely (killed the service) since install, I killed pretty much all back-ground Wangblows services, including Defender, Firewall, Error-reporting, all the security stuff which Microsoft can try and kek me by, all the streaming stuff, all the bloat services, etc.

I went through all settings and disabled anything related to having the current installation call home.

I also disabled Desktop Compositing because muh extra 11 fps

I installed the MVPS hosts file.

I cracked Windows using RemoveWAT to remove the validation crap, I also disabled the validation service.

Anything else I can do to make Wangblows more Unix-like or to remove more spying, or make it lighter/faster?

>inb4 just used GNU/Linux
I am using it, I just need to use some work-related proprietary deprecated Wangblows-only software for the time being, and I really don't want to bother with all the virtual machine bullshit. So I just dual-install.

Thanks, men of /g/entoo.
>>
bumb
>>
>How can I be 100% sure about what proprietary software is doing?
You literally can't. It requires blind faith.
>>
>>51652711
Yep, you have to trust that the Windows kernel isn't spying on you. In the words of Nutella Mandella, founder of Microsoft, "They trust me, the dumb fucks."
>>
>>51652176
stop OCDing over this shit it will do you no good

just install windows 7 and uninstall (or not install at all depending on how old the ISO is) the well known "spying" updates

any other registry tweak is just placebo, there is no fully documented list on what is spying where and how to disable it.

so you have 3 possibilities
1) you can live in constant fear and spend 5 hours a day reading patchlogs to keep your windows "spy-free"
2) you can just do what I said previously and embrace the botnet overlord sooner or later like a good normie
3) you can install linux and be (pretty) sure that you are "spy-free", but live with the caveats it comes with in certain scenarios
>>
File: Love.png (99 KB, 2000x2392) Image search: [Google]
Love.png
99 KB, 2000x2392
>>51652773
>>51652773
This. Use free (like freedom) software. It's safe.
>>
>>51652786
a bug is not the same as intentional malware
>>
>>51652176
1. MITM yourself
2. respond accordingly to results

/thread
>>
>>51652786
>>51652773
I fully understand and agree with these concepts, but I simply MUST use some proprietary software for my work, it is impossible for me to help it.

I was asking for advice on how I can make that experience more painless than I have already made it.
>>
>>51652837
>it is impossible for me to help it

Yeah... no. If it's impossible you need to get off of /g/.
>>
Disable your internet connection while you use the windows software. Export what you need to file and move it to the internet connected Linux partition
>>
>>51652861
It's not my fault my company forces me to use their in-house proprietary 2004 Windows XP software. Wine was of no use.
>>
Air gap it. Plebs.
>>
>>51652961
Options:

1. Windows in VM/HV
(Windows on physical hardware, lmao)

2. Hack on Wine to make it work for the application
(/g/ solution)
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.