[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ipfsg/ - IPFS general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: ipfs.png (70 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
ipfs.png
70 KB, 1024x1024
Last thread/make your own threads you guys edition.
4chan spam detection ate my post edition.

>what's ipfs?
Read up on it at ipfs.io
>how2maek qt site?
Use jekyll or hakyll
>useful stuff
ipfs.io/ipns/gindex.dynu.com/ - site list
ipfs.io/ipns/QmUqBf56JeGU
vuf2SiJNJahAqaVhFSH
S6r9gYk5FbS4TAn - anime tracker
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmSd1buim52Mt
QP1SH2XhN7FC8c1K
dFrFKBNmgdUKFdss8/Stanford%20Seminar%20-%20Juan%20Benet%20of%20Protocol%20Labs.webm - Talk about IPFS from its creator

Reminder to pin what you care about!
>>
>>51652167
What do you guys think about https://morph.is/v0.8/ ?
>>
>>51652960
The site doesn't seem to explain its full featureset clearly at a glance, but it looks like it is trying to be the successor of freenet, except without anonymity (namely, you upload content to the network, rather than nodes requesting content from you). If they solved the capacity limit issue, might be cool.
>>
>>51652960
>>51653153
Actually,

"SECURE

MORPHiS is a custom (enhanced with inventions) Kademlia DHT over a custom (enhanced with optimizations for performance in security) SSH protocol. MORPHiS is written in Python, a free and open language that is memory safe with high performance asynchronous I/O, and is not controlled by US/NSA corporations."

This paragraph makes it sound like the author doesn't know what he's doing.

"
WEB OF TRUST

Through a trust based system of reputation, this feature will enable reputation based searches (deprecating GOOGLE/BING/ETC, DNS, and so on), forums (bye bye disqus, etc!), and eventually deprecating democracy and stone age government (democracy via stone age paper ballots VS real time direct voting)."

This one (and others) make it sound like pure vaporware.

"
What is DMAIL?

THE KILLER FEATURE! My pride and joy invention: Distributed Spam Proof Mail! Uncensorable, inherently spam proof and transparently encrypted and sender authenticated messaging! Secure enough for Edward Snowden! Easy and fool-proof enough for a child! This uses the updateable key feature above plus the prefix key search to enable it. It is a revolutionary invention found only in MORPHiS! The inherent spam resistance uses a transparent proof of work, beyond what hashcash was. It is automatically AES-256-CBC encrypted and automatically RSA-4096 sender authenticated. Use it over TOR and it is inherently anonymous as well! Oh yea, and MORPHiS hosts your Dmail for free! This completely deprecates Email!"

Makes it sound like everyone should stay away from this.
>>
>>51652167
> It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open.
>safer
Into the trash it goes.
>>
What is this? Where can I read about this?
>>
>>51654213
It's a fully decentralized, distributed, encrypted means of data exchange. You can read more about it on their site: ipfs.io or by watching the video (last ipfs link in the OP).

You can think of it as the set of all nodes in the network being seeds for the whole network that might have any amount of the file you're looking for (0% to 100%). All communication is encrypted and downloads are p2p. When you download something, it remains in your cache, allowing you to seed it until you either clear your cache or your cache gets full. You can also seed content forever by pinning it.

Browsing folders and accessing files can be done in the browser directly (by connecting to localhost:8080) or via cli. There is a simple management interface on localhost:5001.

Currently, it's fast enough to stream some videos (like DKR in gindex) in realtime (just put the url in your mediaplayer).
>>
Everyone make sure to recursive-resolve and pin the latest ipfs state of /ipns/gindex.dynu.com so it loads quickly for other people. There's a lot of excellent shit there.
>>
>>51655239
Done.

You've been including the backup file (index.html~) this whole time, by the way. You should configure your editor to save them elsewhere or not at all.

.gitignore style filtering for ipfs add -r when?
>>
>>51655707
>you
I'm not the one who owns that site, I just get sick of it timing out because his ipfs node is on a macbook that falls asleep.
>>
>>51655239
ipns confuses me. How do I pin something using it? Just resolve it and pin the resulting ipfs hash?
>>
>>51655741
My net is a nigger and drops all the time. Also I pay $70/mo for that crap. But at least I'm not a macfag.
>>
>>51655884
When you try to pin an ipns name, it will resolve to an ipfs name and then pin that for you. In the future, it will instead pin the ipns name, which will automatically pin new ipfs names.
>>
>>51655962
Oh neat
>>
>>51655962
Not sure how I feel about the second part. If I pin an IPNS I give my consent to the owner of the IPNS key to put any file he wants on my computer and have me seed it. I do see the benefits of such a thing, especially when IPFS is going to be used to create CDN style systems, but I would prefer it if there was no trust involved and I only seed what I've explicitly pinned or viewed myself. I imagine they will have to have a way to monitor an IPNS for changes for this to work, so I'd much prefer to just get a notification of the update and then use my own judgement for whether to download and pin it or not. Hopefully both models will be supported.
>>
>>51656106
>If I pin an IPNS I give my consent to the owner of the IPNS key to put any file he wants on my computer and have me seed it.
Yes, you do. If you don't want to do that, don't pin the IPNS key.
>I would prefer it if there was no trust involved and I only seed what I've explicitly pinned or viewed myself
Then resolve the IPNS key and only pin the hash of the content you've vetted.
>>
>>51656106
>I would prefer it if there was no trust involved
You can remove pins at any time.
>>
>>51656472
More importantly, as >>51656154 says, you can pin the ipfs link instead. The ipns links have the EXPLICIT purpose of BYPASSING the natural permanent, trustless nature of ipfs.
>>
>>51656575
>The ipns links have the EXPLICIT purpose of BYPASSING the natural permanent, trustless nature of ipfs.
Fair enough.
>>
sup guys,it the guy that said he was going to upload the /qa/ dump to ipfs,im too lazy to sort ~30k photos atm,so im just going to slap the whole directory to ipfs,its about 10gb. will provide the link >real soon now
>>
So does ipfs still duplicate anything you put into it on disk?
I've been waiting for that to be fixed before I start adding all my shit to it
>>
>>51658880
Yes. I'll make a thread with the changelog next release, so you can see if it's fixed yet.
>>
>>51658917
>Yes
Yes it has been fixed, or yes you're acknowledging the question?
>>
>>51658948
Oh, yes it still duplicates everything.
Never mind
>>
>>51653153
It says that anonymity is a planned feature (builtin instead of using tor or something). Dmail is the primary working feature atm (uploading/downloading files works, but it's not like there's much content up yet). The idea is cool and the web interface is pretty nice.
>>
how 2 use with winblows
>>
>>51660110
ipfs.io > download > ??? > IPFS ON WANGBLOWS!
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.