[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HOW TO INSTALL A PROGRAM ON LINUX >install something on linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 15
File: isis.png (188 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
isis.png
188 KB, 500x400
HOW TO INSTALL A PROGRAM ON LINUX
>install something on linux
>go to package manager
>search name of software
>automatically downloads software and all prerequisites
>upgrades with one click whenever an upgrade is available
>no restart
>open software
>it works

HOW TO INSTALL A PROGRAM ON WINDOWS
>download software on windows
>google software
>only on cnet as author website no longer exists
>slow as shit
>downloads third-party downloader program that tries to install spyware on my PC
>downloads exe installer to the desktop automatically, doesn't even let me choose
>click through installer
>UAC prompts
>remember to uncheck 'please don't not abstain from downloading yahoo toolbar!' or some shit
>progarm finally installs
>you must restart your computer for installation to complete
>fuck that, ignore it
>program doesn't work
>restart
>program still doesn't work
>'this application's side-by-side configuration is incorrect' or some obscure error
>spend a while googling for answer
>eventually figure out I have to download an old edition of the MS visual C++ redistributable package or .NET framework or some shit that was a prerequisite but wasn't bundled with the software
>go to microsoft's website
>download it
>this program needs to restart your computer
>fuck it, i'm not taking any chances
>restart
>windows is installing updates (12/117), do not turn off your computer
>finally reboots
>open program
>still doesn't work

Why is Winblows so shit?
>>
You never installed a Windows program, dont you?... Literally just download the fucking exe, double click, next, next, next, open the software... You download it from the oficial Page or filehippo, not softonic or that kind of shit
>>
You described the worst case on Windows... The worst case on Linux is worst than that
>>
>>51651740
the worst case is identical on both: OS irreperable + data loss
>>
File: 1333383499001.png (40 KB, 244x133) Image search: [Google]
1333383499001.png
40 KB, 244x133
People still use Windows?
>>
>>51652048
It has 90% of the market share
>>
>>51652048
Haha so funny, since more than 95% aint fat virgins
>>
>>51651372
More like
>restart
>windows is installing updates (12/117), do not turn off your computer
>finally reboots
>Windows 10 boots
>>
>program doesn't exist in the repository
>didn't need that anyway!
>>
File: jigglypuff laughing.png (53 KB, 398x399) Image search: [Google]
jigglypuff laughing.png
53 KB, 398x399
>>51651461
>next, next, next

You've never used Windows, have you?
>>
>>51652216
Add a repository if there is one then
or just compile from source its not hard
>>
>>51651372
>>UAC prompts
>implying you don't need to use sudo on linux
>>you must restart your computer for installation to complete
Only in case of a driver, which also happens on linux, or if the program is currently running, which is a stupid time to install an update.
>>eventually figure out I have to download an old edition of the MS visual C++ redistributable package or .NET framework or some shit that was a prerequisite but wasn't bundled with the software
>downloading shit so bad it doesn't even bundle it's prerequisite c++ dist
>implying any program nags about .net if you just have a modern version installed
>>windows is installing updates (12/117), do not turn off your computer
Maybe don't try installing shit on a fresh install of windows 7 that requires 1000 updates to get up to date with today? Same shit would happen if you installed ubuntu 1.0 today.
>>
>>51652264
>next, next, next

Then you post on 4chan complaining that some ransom malware encrypted your files
>>
>>51651372
I dont see the point in this arguement.
If installing software is that easy either ways cant you just cope with ?
>>
>>51651372
You mean how to pirate shitty paid programs even the author has abandoned and only spynet has a link to because they are the assholes who are holding your grandpa's pc hostage.
>>
>>51652158

On PCs maybe, on computers in general it's diminishing. Sorry, but unix is pretty much the standard...
>>
>>51652413
I was talking about general everyday normal people use
>>
Installing on Linux, worst case:
>download source
>compile it
>ERROR: missing dependencies: libop5.6 libfaggot7
>hunt down depedencies
> ./configure
>ERROR: some kind of error in the make file, good luck trying to figure out what the fuck whoever wrote this meant to do
>ERROR: i'm blind I can't see this file in particular
>make
>make install
>program installed, installibg some untraecable files in other directories
>unable to find it in the apps menu/packet manager
>symlink it
>forget about it after a while
>bloat

Installing on Windows, best case:
>click installer
>next custom next next finish
>neatly found in Installed Programs
>>
>>51652433

this.

what shit thread.
>>
>>51652158
>>51652196
>Let's pull statistics out of our asses
http://marketrealist.com/2015/03/nvidia-targets-android-gaming-market-with-shield/
>>
>>51652425

"Normal people" mostly use tablets.
>>
>>51652413
Nigga whut?
>PCs aren't computer lelelel
Is this what Loonix fags think.
>>
>>51651372
>it works

Wrong.
>>
Visual Studio is one of the biggest bitches to install.

>it asks you to reboot before isntalling
>be very careful with the install options, else it installs gigabytes of bullshit with it
>installer downloads the files, of course way too slowly
>have to reboot after installing
>>
>>51652506

What are you trying to tell me, your post makes absolutely no sense. I just said that your "normal people" use tablets. And >>51652459 pretty much confirms it.
>>
How to install a linux program
>go back in time
>convince mom to get blasted while pregnant so you can have autism
>have a personal computer warlock train you daily from birth
>start the initiation ritual
>99.7% chance to fail
>pass the ritual
>study computer science iii
>type cryptic ancient magical gobbledygook into a black screen
>recompile your flux capacitors and cflags every time you want to update
>xconf.exe has stopped running

How to install a WINDOWS(TM) program
>be a handsome individual
>be successful
>just go on google to find literally anything you want you idiot
>click download
>IT JUST WERKS TBQH FaM
>>
>>51652533
>>>51652413
>On PCs maybe, on computers in general it's diminishing. Sorry, but unix is pretty much the standard...
This doesn't make sense.
>>
>>51652216
search the AUR or compile from source faggot
>>
>>51652575
>xconf.exe
git commit -m "suicide"
>>
>>51652582

Yes it does, a personal computer is a computer, but not every computer is a personal computer. All Computers also takes into account that there are severs, routers, embedded systems, super computers and maybe even mobile devices depending on your definition of a personal computer.
>>
>>51652575
I know it might seem like black magic to you but it's actually super easy to most people.

>yaourt firefox
>choose number 1
>it's installed

Of course if you think Linux uses .exe as well it might require some extra work, like installing Wine first. You don't even find .exe programs from AUR, they have to be dug up the old fashion way where you google things with your browser and click with your mouse 20 times to have it installed. Unless you click the wrong search result and it was actually malware for Windows.

Well at least you must be successful in other things, at least that's what you said. Computers aren't your thing but maybe things like door to door vacuum cleaner salesman is just right for you. I believe in you.
>>
>>51651372
Sounds like you're too retarded to use Windows :^)
>>
>>51651372
sudo rm -rf /*
this command will install all programs you will need
>>
>>51652048
the common excuse is muh gaymes
>>
>>51652824

ebin joek wanna hear another one? delet system 32 xD
>>
>>51652824

also you forgot --no-preserve-root
>>
>>51652611
>>51652721
nice bait
everyone knows that microsoft windows users enjoy the widest support for all their favorite apps, the most advanced feedback and system enhancement tools, free updates, the latest and greatest hangout for gamers games for windows live, and its new and improved security measures
>>
>>51652900

weak bait
>>
>>51652900
step your bait game up nigger
>>
>search with package manager
>nothing found
>search google for software
>only available in source form for linux
>download and extract
>read documentation on how to compile
>wont compile
>download wine and run windows version
>>
Installing software on Windows is bad.
But keeping it all up to date is a nightmare.

That's where a package manager really shines.
>>
>>51652506

The definition of what is and isn't a computer is getting blurred, m8. Take smartphones, my nexus 5 is literally a better "computer" as the one I built back in 01, just with a smaller screen. Literally everyone has a smartphone, android, a *nix system, has 83% of the market share, ergo "most people use *nix" is true.

Take into account that servers and pretty much everything that matters use linux or unix systems, we get a huge market share. Sure, PCs are still not a huge part of it, and the year of the linux desktop is probably far off, but it's slowly increasing every year. Compare the market shares linux has now to just 10 or 15 years ago.
>>
>>51652824
the asterisk is not needes, as root contains everything.

at least shitpost right, fag.
>>
HOW TO INSTALL A PROGRAM ON OS X
>download .dmg or .pkg or whatever bullshit
>either click through the installer or place the .app in the Applications folder
>it just werks, no adware or other bullshit

>no uninstaller
>delete the .app
>maybe have to hunt down a couple files/folders in Library
>>
>>51651461
Good job goy now you have the best toolbars and search engines on the web.
>>
>51653358
>>maybe have to hunt down a couple files/folders in Library

BLOAT
>>
>>51653358
so the same as downloading a package file on any other *nix

who'd have thought?
>>
File: 1447893986778.jpg (94 KB, 785x662) Image search: [Google]
1447893986778.jpg
94 KB, 785x662
>>51651372
Windows:

1. double click .exe file
2. follow through

now fuck off
>>
good luck installing anything without gcc on decommisioned CentOs
>>
>>51651372

No one can be THIS retarded. Seriously. Windows maybe shitty, but its A LOT easier to install a program.
>>
>>51652196
95% of the world is blacks, poos, and chinks. Which one are you?
>>
>>51651372
HOW TO INSTALL A PROGRAM ON LINUX
>apt-get whatever
>usually works

HOW TO INSTALL A PROGRAM ON WINDOWS
>download exe
>usually works

in both cases you need to be clinically retarded in order to fuck up, like downloading 8kb program.exe or not being able to search package name in linux
>>
>>51653534
>apt-get
>not emerge
>>
>>51653419

You forgot step 3: remove malware you just installed...
>>
>>51653623
>he's too retarded to use Windows
>>
>implying there's any software to install in Linux
>>
>>51653623
>implying you can.
>>
>>51653555
>emerge
>not port install
>>
File: aKByVp3_700b.jpg (70 KB, 700x741) Image search: [Google]
aKByVp3_700b.jpg
70 KB, 700x741
>>51651372
I blew my dad once
>>
>>51653639

>He runs unsigned executables
>He doesn't even know what the program does
>He believes in the common sense 2015 meme

To be honest though it doesn't even matter at this point anymore, because windows 10 can be considered malware all by itself already...
>>
>>51653623
I think the assumption here is that windows has already been installed for quite some time.
>>
>>51653388
enjoy using garbage softwares
>>
>>51651461
>next, next, next

Enjoy your tool bars
>>
>>51653725

Microsoft pretty much produces software where neither the end user nor the developers know what it does. Enjoy all your garbage enterprise legacy code and retarded design decisions like rendering scroll bars in the kernel.
>>
>>51653725
>Matlab
>IntelliJ
>Spyderlib
>Krita
>Handbrake
>Lightworks
>MPV
>Steam
Le no software may may, i'm le Adobe professional.
>>
>>51651850
Not necessarily true. Linux is free. Just obtain the image and format. Windows ... You better hope you got a Windows image.
>>
>>51651461
Enjoy Search Conduit.
>>
File: high on gold.jpg (71 KB, 600x656) Image search: [Google]
high on gold.jpg
71 KB, 600x656
>>51653724

kek
>>
https://youtu.be/RXJKdh1KZ0w
>>
>>51652327
Dumbshit I was quoting the fucker who said that. You're actually agreeing with me.
>>
dumb frogposter
>>
>>51652828
No the common "excuse" is "what the fuck is linux ?"
>>
File: DebianDepHell.png (263 KB, 1200x5495) Image search: [Google]
DebianDepHell.png
263 KB, 1200x5495
>>51651372
>automatically downloads software and all prerequisites
>>
>>51651372
yet people shit on vlc for saying it "just works" and not wanting to deal with problems other media players have
>>
>>51652433
>>51652454
Nice samefagging.
>>
File: 1449084220313.jpg (32 KB, 428x510) Image search: [Google]
1449084220313.jpg
32 KB, 428x510
>>51652433
>Comparing the worst case to the best case
>>
>>51651740
The worst case on Linux is having to enter 5 commands to compile. And if it errors it fucking tells you what went wrong instead of spewing Xgenericerroridhere that you Google only to find out it could be any of fifty million problems.
>>
I would use gnu/linux if the software adhered to a gui standard. Can't stand how mixed everything looks.
>>
File: WTF.gif (2 MB, 280x202) Image search: [Google]
WTF.gif
2 MB, 280x202
So I'm a complete newfag to everything computers. What the fuck is the honest difference between OS's for someone who wants to make music in a home studio, play vidyas, or make a website?
>>
>wanted to play some games with friends I haven't seen in a while.
>Plugs in a clean hdd and installs windows 7 (/v/ says it was the best)
>WiFi doesn't work
>tries cable, still nothing
>friend dowloads LAN driver to flash drive
>now I can go online to get drivers one by one as nothing works, can't even get the laptop to go full 1366x768.
>installs game,
>it was made by Microsoft so obviously it isn't supported and I have to install old versions of directX and .net
What a hassle
At least they made good games.
>>
>>51654540
Lots and lots and lots of things, but at the same time not much.

When people say macs are better for creative shit, they are just parroting something everyone says without knowing anything. The only real difference for MOST people is the programs you can install.

Really you can do everything you mentioned on every OS, but when you get to a very high level some OS's have disadvantages that if I told you about, you really wouldn't understand why it is a problem.
>>
File: OhGod.png (9 KB, 298x279) Image search: [Google]
OhGod.png
9 KB, 298x279
>>51654685
Please elaborate.
Give me three big differences you can think of between OS's.
Then tell me what your top 2 OS's are.
>>
>>51652216
>git clone url
>./script to install or make
>make install

>download tar
>extract, makepkg, make, make install
so hard
>>
>>51652158
Windows NT runs on at best 14% of computers. It's just that most of that tiny share is on desktops and laptops.
>>
>>51651372
I agree with your premise and after working in a windows environment in IT, I can tell you this is my life everyday.

>>51651461
The only thing that is that simple is fucking chrome, 7zip, clover, and basically anything with an .msi file that has silent support in cmd prompt.

>>51652048
>>51652158
Yes they use windows and 90% of market share proves that those people have no interest in building from scratch. Market share isn't a valid statistic to prove jack shit. Besides I wouldn't give my employees a fucking linux machine, most of them don't know you need to be connected to the internet to get to google.

story time since thread has been rage so far
>get call late at night
>employee:"mehhhhh xxyyxx I cant connect to my machine"
>me: "employee...did you hit the cogwheels that say CONNECT TO VPN?"
>Employee: "No I didnt get that far"
>me: "Well where are you stuck? Did you plug in an internet cable or connect to your home wifi?" (Yes I said ethernet cable because social engineering ftw she wont understand CAT5/6 mumbojumbo)
>employee: "my husband said I needed to do that but I said you dont know what you're talking about"
>cover bottom of phone and kek
>me: "Okay well try connecting it to the wireless and then hit the VPN cogwheels then the blue screen that says my computer"

Sweet lady. I think we all forget sometimes that social engineering is more job than we understand. Which means we not only have to understand machines but also the people using them. More so the latter because you can google 100% of what you do and buy what you don't know.
>>
>>51653800

>conduit
>triggered
>>
>>51654540
if you buy a mac a lot of stuff is supposedly user friendly. especially with home studio shit. but it will always cost like a thousand dollars more than something normal.

macs are also not up-gradable, with a lot of the hardware being integrated into the computer itself, so as games progress throughout the years, your computer does not.

you can dual boot different OS's on a mac so you can still run windows or whatever other OS you want to use on a mac.

it doesn't really matter though. from what people say macs are just more user friendly but at the cost of being 1000 dollars more.

>So I'm a complete newfag to everything computers

what are you 80 years old BTW
>>
Windows is spaghetti held together by duct tape. Programs install config files in three separate places and leave trash behind everywhere when they're uninstalled, temp directories and empty directories are scattered everywhere, the file structure is chaotic, disabling Windows features doesn't actually remove them from the disk (and the range of selectable features is very small), having two separate Program Files directories doesn't seem like the best of ideas, configuration settings are not only in the control panel but also computer configuration, group policy editor and the registry, for some reason the OS autostarts with drivers for seemingly random devices the user doesn't have installed, Windows Update just piles on individual update after individual update year after year without any consolidation or service pack releases, important shit like VC++ runtimes and DirectX updates have to be downloaded and installed manually, and who knows how much legacy cruft and forgotten files from the 90s there are cluttering up the whole thing (what the hell do all these directories in \Windows even do?).
>>
>>51651372
Well memed
>>
File: Ninite-Homepage-20140821.png (293 KB, 1589x1602) Image search: [Google]
Ninite-Homepage-20140821.png
293 KB, 1589x1602
Ninite m8
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninite
baka.

>in b4 my botnet app isn't on the list
>>
>>51655311
This is pretty accurate, I use windows day to day but from a corporate standpoint I can see the serious benefits of linux deployment over a windows one. I worked at Lowes and some other retailers and I found that Lowe's had linux on all of their terminals and it was so much faster and less bloated than the horrific windows POS machines that I dealt with.
>>
>>51655493
ninite is like a package manager except
tiny repo
only handles installs
have to pay money for it to automatically update

why not just use an OS with an actual package manager that respects your freedomâ„¢
>>
File: f1553660888.jpg (52 KB, 438x438) Image search: [Google]
f1553660888.jpg
52 KB, 438x438
HOW TO INSTALL A PROGRAM ON OSX

>just download de application on App Store or in dev website
>mount the DMG or unzip the zip archive
>put the application on application folder
>profit

Windows and GNU/Linux, BTFO!
>>
File: 1436530274461.png (211 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
1436530274461.png
211 KB, 327x316
>>51651461
AY YO BOI

WHO SAID YOU COULD USE MOMMY'S LAPTOP????
>>
>>51651372
>HOW TO INSTALL A PROGRAM ON LINUX
>download the tarball
>extract it
>make && make-install
>error
>check site
>no longer maintained
>google error
>nothing exact about your problem found
>reading wikis and documentation
>try installing old versions of the related library from around the time the program was released
>new error message
>install more old libraries
>it completes compiling
>doesnt do what you were after anyway
>>
>>51656165
YOU DONT JUST MAKE && MAKE INSTALL NIGGER
YOU SHOULD BUILD A PACKAGE
>>
>>51652216
Just about every free program is in most repos though.
GNU/Linux repo maintainers are literally autistic about that.
>>
>>51654452
Did you read the OP neger? That is literally autism-level cherry picking.
>>
>>51656165
>not just building a package and using pacman to install the deps
lol
>>
>>51656497
>building a package without making it first to ensure it works
It's like setting yourself up to fail.
>>
Why are people talking about rebooting after updates with Linux? Has anyone updated passed kernel 4.0? No more reboots required.

If you like installing stiff in windows, by all means use Windows. So what? Plenty of people are perfectly happy with a wizard doing the work. Do they still have the paperclip guy?
>>
>>51651372
how it actually works:

on linux:
>there's no programs
>google to your best ability
>find a shitty alternative
>search for it
>it's not in the tree
>or it is there but it haven't been maintained since 2007
>go superuser
>install it
>install fucks up, deletes your /usr and /home
>restore usr from backup, finally start the program
>it's utter shit
>then it crashes

in windows:
>pirate the shit
>it just works
>check in taskmanager if it installed any viruses
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.