[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /g/ friends, long time no see. I have a small problem with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: elite-d.jpg (294 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
elite-d.jpg
294 KB, 1920x1080
Hello /g/ friends, long time no see.
I have a small problem with my new rig; and have some trouble finding the issue (normally, I'm the tech guy that people come to find when they have a problem, AH!), could you help me with that?

Here's the deal:
The computer freeze. At random. But mostly when I'm playing games.
Complete stop, no sound looping; no mouse, no keyboard; I can just hold on the power button to shut it off and restart it.

Here's my config:
- Seasonic X-850 80PLUS Gold (PSU)
- Amd FX-9590 (Cooled with a Dark Rock Pro 3 (Be quiet!))
- ASUS crosshair v formula z
- Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB; @2133Mhz)
- MSI GeForce 980GTX
- Sandisk SSD 480GB
- And a 2To HDD for data, can't recall the manufacturer at the moment.

All parts are new, and running on Win 10 family, 64bits.

Here's what I did:
- Checked the RAM with memtest86; found 1 error, replaced it; now the RAM is alright, but the issue is still there (Damnit!).
- Temps are stable. I get 50°C at most on the CPU.

Here's what I plan to do :
- Test the rig with my old graphic card (which never caused any freeze in my old rig)
- Redownload the Win 10 image and reinstall the system to be sure this is not a software issue (I highly doubt it, but you never know, right?)
Aaaand that's about it.
Maybe test with another HDD for installing the system, I've been told that the SSD could do that.
I do not have another PSU to test sadly.

Do you guys have any other ideas?
Many thanks!
>>
What are idle temps? what program to monitor?

Does this happen if you do heavy CPU intensive programs (aside from gaming?).

>mostly when playing games

When else? specifically?
>>
>>51646909
idle temps are about 40°C; checked within the BIOS mostly; I also run the ASUS program in background that warns me if anything's wrong (fan speed change; temps; etc)
No warning are ever made before the freeze.

It already happened while staying on the desktop, doing nothing; while I was getting a cup of coffee, only one or two times maybe.
While webbrowsing with Firefox.
With small games (Binding of Isaac)
Big games are often a garanteed freeze after 10 mins tho.
>>
>>51646766
Windows 10 is your problem
>>
>>51646995
Well, I don't mind trying with Win 7, but I did not have any trouble with Win 10 on the old rig. Weird as fuck.
>>
Have you ran a stress test program? and left it running? if you have and left it running for a while and this HASN'T happened then it is most likely a glitch in software, some bug caused by some shit application or windows.

RUn a stress test program and leave it for a little while and time how long it successfully runs before this happens.
>>
This is a common issue with the 9590, it's widespread and AMD refuses to acknowledge it.

Underclock your CPU or give it more voltage. They are not stable from factory.
>>
>>51647018
Will do.
I suppose you suggest OCCT? First thing I will do when I'll be back at home.
>>
>>51647059
That could be a thing? Damn!
Will also look into it, thank you.
>>
>>51647070

Only one I use that's free is Passmark Burnin test
>>
>>51647098
Well noted, thank you!
>>
>>51647059
>>51647070
This is disturbing, I've been checking this, and it's seems like a very common issue.
How the hell can a serious company like AMD promotes and sells, as one of their best CPU, an unstable chip?
Well at least I think this is what's driving me crazy. We'll see that is two hours, when I'll be back from work.
Thank you again /g/, with all my heart.
For not being my personal technical support; you're still goddamn helpful.
>>
>>51646766
>check your hard drive to see if it spikes or freezes
>literally can be a hard drive going bad or mechanically failing
>probably your CPU though
>>
>>51648439
Ignore this post, saw you're part of the SSD master race
>>
>>51648416
Pfuit, I'm a bit tired I guess.
I meant :
>>51647059
>>51647080
we'll see that in* two hours
>>
File: 1446775141877.png (1 MB, 1018x728) Image search: [Google]
1446775141877.png
1 MB, 1018x728
Before you go through any of that tedious rig amoral

>Check drivers
>Make sure you're not on onboard graphics, BIOS looks good
>Test game on SSD
>Look for any background programs causing issues
>Any odd USB connections (This sounds weird but trust me, I was getting 2 fps in XCOM due to my phone being tethered to my computer)

hope it helps OP.
>>
>>51648505
- Drivers are all up to date, even the BIOS
- Not on onboard graphics
- All my games/programs are on the SSD. I currently use the HDD to stock up movies/music/randomshit
- Background program - well it happened on the fresh install; doubt it.
USB connection tho? I'll check that as well, thanks mate.
>>
>>51648416
>AMD
>serious company
>>
>>51648556
I was a bit suprised that I didn't see any comments regarding AMD yet.
Thank you for pointing that out anon.
>>
>>51648589
Don't take it personally, I too saw it was missing and jumped in to fill the gap.
What brought you to buy a 9590 anyway? That CPU always seemed like a pretty stupid purchase, with it's insane TDP, obsolete chipset and the need for an expensive 990FX board.
>>
>>51648627
To be honest, I mostly followed my emotions.
I've always been with an AMD CPU, never had any troubles with them, and they were pretty durable (My first CPU was an AMD, it's 18yo now, and still working at my parent's house)

I wanted a new rig, picked up the top notch CPU from them to not have to worry for 10 new years; and here I am.
That's what you get for being blinded by your personnal history I guess.
(Still, when it's not frozen; I really enjoy my new computer tho.)
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.