[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GPGPU and open source driver
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: 18mlbbelmu719jpg.jpg (22 KB, 504x337) Image search: [Google]
18mlbbelmu719jpg.jpg
22 KB, 504x337
nVidia and AMD make their properietary GPU drivers and never open the sources. so there is still no open source free driver that can run GPGPU program.

why they don't open their driver sources? they give their properietary driver binaries without charge. that is, they don't make money from them. I think whether they open their driver sources or not, their sales wouldn't be that changed.
>>
Because video drivers from either have 20+ year old hacks and nobody from any company wants anyone to see them.

Also third party IP
>>
Good point OP, maybe their graphic cards could do more, but are constrained on purpose, so the more expensive, newest cards sell instead.
>>
>>51646548
>drivers become open source
>suddenly 750Ti can run everything on max 1080p@144Hz
>>
>>51646593
>>51646569
lol, that makes sense!
>>
There's a saying with CPUs, if you drop precision by 5% you can get 80% more performance.
Does that work with GPUs?
>>
>>51646561
>make the driver open source
>the community fixes it for them
>new drivers unleash the true power
>they sell more GPUs

They could honestly just have binary blobs, if there is any 3rd party code that they're not allowed to release publicly.
>>
>>51646616
Isn't that the difference between consumer cards and workstation cards?
>>
>>51646623
>the community fixes it for them
>new drivers unleash the true power
>they sell more GPUs
They sell more low end GPUs you mean, no one would buy higher than x70 for there would be no reason to
>>
>>51646639
do you even 4K?
>>
they should give out hardware for free and sell the drivers
>>
>>51646645
No I do not, I don't even FHD
>1680x1050 going strong for 10 years
>>
>>51646659
Just go into your GPU driver settings and upscale to 4k, there's practically no difference in quality compared to native 4k.
>>
>>51646673
>ah shit, nVidia experience lets me do some bullshit on CSGO to increase my resolution to something something more than QHD
>looks like fucking ass
>framerate drops by half
>>
>>51646691
>rendering resolution goes up by two
>4M vs 2M pixels
>my framerate drops by half!!?!??
>>
>>51646659
neither do I, but if we're ever going to get decent framerates @ 4K we need way faster GPUs (not even talking about 120/144hz)

>>51646673
are you retarded?
>>
>>51646696
>looks like ass
>fucks up performance
>literally no advantage to using it
>>
>>51646713
>literally retarded
>>
>>51646696
It's actually 8M pixels for 4k
>>
>>51646623
amd already does that on linux
>>
>>51646735
it's a shame that it's only for linux distros then.
>>
>>51646735
you mean, free(open source) amd gpu driver was once closed source like catalyst?
>>
>>51646761
How can a open source project be closed source?

Wake the fuck up, anon, go get some coffee
>>
>>51646720
>hurr durr upscale your resolution, no difference goy
>looks like shit
>hurr retarded
>>
>>51646780
I think he meant to ask if the catalyst driver (that was? closed source) is now open source for linux
>>
>>51646804
Catalyst was never open source.
Not now, not ever.
>>
>>51646780
what I said was

>AMD makes a radeon xorg driver.
>it was closed source driver
>it was incomplete
>they don't want to give a shit to it because linux user group only have small share
>so they decided to open it to community
>and community make it complete
>>
Is this the new blast processing
>>
>>51646659
>1680 1050
Nah nigga
>>
>>51646548
>nVidia and AMD make their properietary GPU drivers and never open the sources.
AMD also makes open source drivers and they "open the sources" to those. AMD's reasoning behind not open sourcing their proprietary one is that it contains third party IP and it also has a lot of details about the inner-workings of their GPUs which they would prefer to keep secret.
>>
>>51646548
It's all about marketing.
If let's say nVidia open sources their drivers, AMD would take a look at them and port over/implement smth similar for their own drivers and vice versa.

If one makes a "goodwill" move, the competition gains profit, and will rapidly gain market share.

As simple as that.
>>
>>51646637
That's the difference between Kepler and Maxwell, Nvidia dumped all the FP64 cores from Maxwell to allow their cards to run faster while still being stuck on the same process scale, as a result even the Quadro cards such as the M6000 run the same as the Titan X and 980 Ti. They physically can't do FP64 faster than 1/32.
>>
>>51646804
That is false. Catalyst is likely never going to be open sourced. AMD is modifying catalyst so that the userland stuff can use DRM/KMS rather than whatever kernel module bullshit it used previously. It means that catalyst will no longer need to be loaded as a kernel module and it will be less prone to breaking with every new kernel release but it doesn't meant the proprietary catalyst stuff is becoming open source.
>>
>>51647779
Why would anyone want this

Aren't game engines doing more advanced physics shit now that need shit like that?
>>
>>51648602
Game engines only do what Nvidia tells them to do.
So no FP64 until Nvidia gets it into their chips.
>>
>>51648602
Game physics? No. Molecular physics? Yes.

You must already know what you need it for to benefit, FP64 is useful only to a tiny fraction of people using GPU processing.

You know why Nvidia is making such a big deal out of the claimed 10x speed up with Pascal? It's to make up for this limitation. They're not bringing 1/3 FP64 back.
>>
>>51646623

I'd rather have everyone buy my TITAN X PRO gAMER 360 TI MLG Idaho Edition for only $600
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.