[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This video makes me fucking pissed holy fuck. He saws off the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: Capture.png (432 KB, 840x472) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
432 KB, 840x472
This video makes me fucking pissed holy fuck.

He saws off the PCIe lock on the 980 fucking gives horrible advice, even admits he lied during the video, fucking suggest buying a 980, bottlenecked to all fuck, HORRIBLE FUCKING ADVICE.

What the fucking fuck linus, what the fucking fuck. This isn't april first yet.

[YouTube] Under $150 Budget Gaming 8 Core CPU, Motherboard & 16GB RAM (embed)

p.s. meant to post this in /g/
>>
I bet he also recommends windows
>>
>not cutting your graphics card to fit in a 1x slot
>>
>>51645820
For a $150 gaymen platform that werks, you gotta make compromises.
>>
I don't understand why anyone watches that channel. They're obvious tards.
>>
>>51645820
He lied in that the video title says "8 Core CPU" when in fact it's 2 x 4 Core CPUs. Big whoop.

Also, there are plenty of people who mod kit to fit, what's the real difference between sawing off the lip of a graphics card to get it to fit and removing the heatsink to put a waterblock on? I'm damned sure you'd do the latter if you had reason to.

The channel is about what you CAN do, about what is possible and indeed, what is fun to do. If you don't want to saw a bit off a graphics card, don't saw a bit off a graphics card, simple.
>>
>>51645897
or you could get
$100 i5-2500
$38 h77 mobo
$30 8gb ddr3-1600
>>
>>51646021
That's over $150
>>
>>51645998

I agree, the video as far as I can tell clearly mentions negative aspects of doing this operation as well as positive aspects (mainly budget) mainly leaving the viewer deciding whether it's worth their time to end up with such a machine that costs so much.

Some people are better skilled to do this kind of work than others and could easily do it themselves without paying extra unlike others (like me) that don't know shit about handy work and have no tools available to complete this project.

I would rather just pay for better parts, I still worked for that money that I'm using to pay, other people can just do the work themselves and not work the money someone would pay them to pay for a machine like this.
>>
>>51645859
nice meme sport

>>51645820
why would anyone saw off a pci-e connection anyway?
>>
>>51646047

watch the video derp
>>
>>51646027
So? You get better shit, and its not retarded.
Here then if you want to be a fag.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GwYsZL
>>
>>51646069
>So?

What's the title of the video?
>>
>>51646069

>better shit

you might be right, but for those that chose to take upon this project they accepted the resulting machine. If they accepted it as it is then they don't need better shit. This is where they they would be paying for shit they wouldn't need if they were to buy more costly parts that offers features they know they wouldn't make use of (waste of money).
>>
>>51646073
I'd have to buy a saw to mutilate my graphics card.
>>
>>51646073
Under $150 Budget Gaming 8 Core CPU, Motherboard & 16GB RAM

why am I replying to this
>>
>>51646104
And you originally posted a build that was over $150, so your reply was pointless
>>
>>51646099

>not adding the cost of the saw to the parts list and then deciding if it's still worth it
>>
>>51645820
>nder $150 Budget Gaming 8 Core CPU, Motherboard & 16GB RAM
How is this under $180 USD, the 980 is worth wayyyyy more than that. And only gets 60fps on medium settings, what a waste of good card with shitty bottlenecking.
>>
>>51645859
>windows on a gaming pc
NO FUCKING WAY DUDE I'M REALLY SURPRISED
eat shit freetard
>>
>under $150 budget gaming pc
>8 core
>16gb
>GTX 980

yeah, this is bate
>>
>>51646114
Have you ever seen clickbait before?

Have you ever been on the internet before today?

Is your brain ok?
>>
File: 970.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
970.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>51646047
He sawed off this part, he didn't hurt the functionality of the card in any way.

My motherboard's slot where this thing goes in is broken, too, so I cut it off as well.

>>51646114
He used that card to show that this config can handle a recent GPU, albeit with bottlenecks.
>>
>>51646136
sorry I don't spend my time in the circles of the internet where people try to make money by trying to make me click on links that are lying to me

rule no. n of the internet:
if it's too good to be true, it always is. do not click on it
>>
>>51646108
At what point in my original post did I claim it was $150 faggot. I only implied you could do x instead as a better and more sensible alternative. Get out of here with your arbitrary standards of comparison.
>>
>>51646114

>implying any base build apart from video card won't need to be increased by the cost of a 980.
>>
>>51646153
Fuck off Dennis
>>
This is a hilarious proof of concept. It makes sense though because server grade equipment is far ahead of consumer grade.
>>
File: 1437500369752.png (573 KB, 621x672) Image search: [Google]
1437500369752.png
573 KB, 621x672
><br>[YouTube] Under $150 Budget Gaming 8 Core CPU, Motherboard &amp; 16GB RAM (embed)<br>
>>
>>51646153
While you can saw it off and see no loss in functionality, the truth remains that only a retard would saw it off because the locking mechanism is too complex for them.
>>
>>51645820
How about you link the video you underage dipshit
>>
>>51645820
Watch the other videos, Linus is a fucking idiot. He had a series where he tried to build a router and shorted out like 2 boards.
Luke>camera asian>???>Linus
>>
He could have bought a PCI-E extension

What a dummy
>>
>>51645820
M A D M A N
>>
>>51646517
>only a retard would saw it off because the locking mechanism is too complex for them
While this is true, that isn't why he sawed it off in the video.
The motherboard he used just happened to have a capacitor placed right behind the PCI-e slot which made it so that the graphics card couldn't be inserted at all with the little locking thingamajig on it. Sawing it off was the only option with that particular motherboard.
>>
chill breh, the video is meant for entertainment, don't take it so seriously
>>
>>51646778
But the GTX 980 is worth three times more than every other component in that setup combined. Of course Linus doesn't care as he's a Youtube shill who gets his stuff for free, but nobody with even 10% of a working brain would start cutting up their video card and destroy its resale value in the process.
>>
>>51647062
Do people seriously resell components? Do you really get money out of that? Since when did components get the Apple treatment of being resold constantly?

I have several graphics cards over the years and I always find uses for them in other builds.
>>
>>51647105
kuck
>>
>>51645998
A lot of people miss this part about Linus. This is the guy who did a custom spray paint on his. Motherboard to color match his rig and then willingly put in hundreds of dollars of components in and out to scrape off paint that got into the sockets and pins.

It's clearly about what Can be done. Not what should be done. If you have to build a pic on a 150 budget you probably shouldn't be buying a pic in the first place. But it's fun to try and challenge ourselves to get the most we can out of as little as possible. It'd the same reason we have people jamming on massive turbos onto little 1991 4 cylinder civics.
>>
>>51647062
>nobody with even 10% of a working brain would start cutting up their video card and destroy its resale value in the process.
Eh, depends on the video card in question, and whether you can afford not being able to RMA the thing should something happen to it.

I don't disagree that Linus is a bloody retard for cutting up a 980 of all things, but the resale value isn't really what you should consider here. Resale value is going to crash with newer generations anyway, and generally people take function into consideration more than cosmetic flaws.

>>51647105
>Do people seriously resell components?
Yes.

>Do you really get money out of that?
Depends on how you define "getting money out of that". Technically speaking you don't earn shit from selling a used piece of hardware because no one in their right mind will buy it for the same price or more than a new piece of hardware, and you always end up with less money than you had when you bought the thing you're now selling.

I generally sell my old hardware if I no longer have a use for it, think of it as a sort of rebate for whatever upgrades I might have made.
>>
>>51645820

>He saws off the PCIe lock on the 980

>fucking suggest buying a 980

Which one is it faggot? Do you support the 980 or not? Now who's the one giving shit-tier advice.
>>
>>51645820
>even admits he lied during the video
sauce?
>>
>>51647922
Sauce is to watch the video
>>
>>51647387
>Resale value is going to crash with newer generations anyway

No it isn't. The good thing about buying Nvidia cards is their legion of retarded fanboys, which means they hold their value far better and far longer than AMD equivalents.
>>
>>51648617
post the link
>>
>>51649413
https://youtu.be/epIlB49SNTI?t=446
>>
>>51646641
He fucked 3 boards up.

Luke is also a frickin' idiot. Just look at his Fallout buildlog...
>>
>>51646047
so it fits on other pci-e or even AGP slots :)

>>51649440
AH, 36TH POST AND WE FINALLY HAVE A LINK I FIND THIS HILARIOUS, I WOULD BUY A SHOVEL!
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.