[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: pepsi_man__by_blazbaros-d5wvxi2.png (624 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
pepsi_man__by_blazbaros-d5wvxi2.png
624 KB, 900x750
Pepsiman Edition™
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_9SsX7HJhE

Old Thread: >>51637115

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
DO NOT BUMP, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

take at least 10 seconds to google first
read the sticky before posting >>39894014 →

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
Why shortly after boot takes time for my browsers to connect to internet?
>yep, old and bloated PC
>>
Is virtual super resolution worth using?
>>
Guys I've got a serious question here. My NAT type for my XBox shows up as strict. I want it to be open. I tried to fix it by configuring my ports, but the people at XBox told me to call the ISP. Shit idea. I called ealier and they said they can't even forward ports so I ended doing it myself. Now XBox said that I have manually open the NAT type myself, but I don't know how. I also called Netgear and they said I have to pay, but since I'm a poorfag I didn't pay them to do the stuff for me. So do you guys know how to open the NAT type for the XBox?
>>
>>51645808
Just to add some more info to clear things up, I'm using a wired internet connection cause I get choppy wifi.
>>
Is there an online doc listing PSUs by jonnyuguru score?
>>
I want to make a small keyboard switch, as in, a switch that enables the keyboard on either laptop1 or laptop2 with cables. However, am I going to run into trouble if I connect both Laptop's grounds and VCC's together?
>>
>>51646086
stop being cheap and just buy a kvm switch
>>
>>51646098
>at least 20 bucks for something I can build myself AND have all the components for.
I'll pass.
>>
>>51645817
>>51645808
Guys anyone know what to do?
>>
4chan question: how to auto change between yotsuba and tomorrow themes?
>>
>>51646158
Don't bump your own questions shitlord.
>>
>>51646204
Then it'll go ignored.
>>
>>51646229
you'll be ignored now as a matter of principle
>>
>>51646229
You can try again in the next /sqt/, or well, find out yourself.
>>
>>51646241
You don't even know how to solve my issue.
>>
>>51646279
Yeah but I wanted to play online this month cause I won't get much time later.
>>
Can i have twrp and cwm on my phone at the same time? Which is better? Is cyanogenmod worth switching to Cwm for?
>>
>ffmpeg can encode tta
>But can't mux tta
Fucking wow, good job ffmpeg devs.
>>
File: P_500.jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
P_500.jpg
53 KB, 500x500
Hello /g/,
so i have an old ASUS p5kpl am epu motherboard.
i have one pcie x16 with a nvidia gt430 on
and one empty pcie x1. I was wondering what it would be like upgrading to a pcie x16 ssd (if they exist) and change the gt430 with a pcie x1 gt 730. Is this a good idea?
>>
File: Speedtest Download.png (13 KB, 462x118) Image search: [Google]
Speedtest Download.png
13 KB, 462x118
My computer's having problems with Internet connection.

Once every 20-30 seconds or so, my download speed drops to zero for a few seconds. Pings time out, can't load pages, all the symptoms of not being connected to the Internet. The network and sharing center, however, never says that I'm disconnected. It's not a network problem, because taking the exact same cable and plugging it into another computer results in flawless Internet. I've tried restarting, installing updates, scanning for viruses, disabling/enabling my computer's network adapter, none of it worked. There also aren't any processes running that I don't recognize.

The problem started after I used a VPN client called SoftEther to connect to a Russian VPN server in order to get around an IP block.

I imagine the use of a VPN messed with my network adapter somehow, but I'm not sure what else to try to fix it besides disabling/reenabling it.
>>
How do i set a custom screen resolution for a VGA connected panel that's got a native res of 1440x900 (some old Ubuntu on a shit computer I try to fix. highest is 1366x768, they complain they can't read shit anymore.)

..And make it LAST. on every reboot, the resolution is not kept (copypasted Xrandr shit )

Athlon XP / 2Gb / Radeon9 200
>>
>>51646524
>on every reboot, the resolution is not kept
As a hacky solution, you could have a script run at startup that manually sets the resolution to what you want.
>>
>>51646519
The only things I can imagine you can do is reinstalling your NIC driver, and reinstalling your OS.
>>
Why just switching the stereo is a rare option?
>>
>>51646519

B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T
>>
>>51646542
yeah i tried this solution; no joy. it keeps telling me"cannot apply the selected resolution"

the only answer the irc "tech guys" replied is
>hurf durf tiome to throw this machine away and buy at leasdt a i5 with hdmi"

it's for a couple of old people who live on their retirement, i'm being already kind upgrading their virus ridden shit to something that almost works right. and these sperglords claims it's none of their business.
that's it.

everyday i'm progressively disgusted by what the linux "community" is turning into consumerist tards and their "hurf durp Unity is ffffffffffantastic, just ignore the lag or buy a new muchine"
>>
>>51645572
What drives these highly skilled individuals to become complete moralfag "white hat" hackers? I just don't get it. Every security or hacking related presentation at things like Defcon are done by complete insufferable cunts who spew memes like a redditor and sound like a 16 year old who grew facial hair.

They're basically amped up SJWs.
>>
>>51646524

Setting the resolution is kind of a shit way to do that. Have you taught them about (ctrl +), (ctrl -)? Also take 5 minutes to dick with default font sizes, in Lubuntu it's under Preferences -> customize look and feel.

Also I had a computer where the botnet Nvidia drivers fucked up and made my fonts too big, I had to use some commands to change DPI settings back to "96 x 96". If this is desired behavior for your lusers you can just fuck it right to 128 or 160 or something and watch that shit balloon up.

This was the tutorial I followed, maybe you could adapt it somehow: http://www.techytalk.info/lubuntu-change-fonts-dpi-when-using-proprietary-nvidia-driver/
>>
When in 2016 do you think firefox is going to begin the process of dropping NPAPI plugins, starting with firefox nightly?
>>
Yo guys I found my sister's really old laptop and want to install windows on it and give it my my grandpa.

Thing is, it now has ubuntu that was installed by some friend of hers many years ago and the dickhead put a password on the admin account that nobody remembers.

I need to format the HDD with NTFS so I can install windows, but when I start the disk partitioning tool in the cmd, it only finds the DVD and the flash drive I'm trying to install from and not the HDD.

Can't format from ubuntu because I don't have the admin password. Help please.
>>
>>51646636
Looks like the meme was right for once, I found a service related to the client, problem went away when I stopped it.
Thanks, /g/.
>>
>>51646733
Maybe make a LiveUSB of a Linux distro and see if that can see the drive?
>>
>>51646750
I can format the HDD using that, right? Never tried it before.
>>
>>51646689
Trips have a purpose when it's to stay on topic, you fucking mongol.
>>
>>51646769
Yeah. I know the live version of Ubuntu has a graphical partition manager included, and pretty much any distro should let you format via the terminal.
>>
>>51645572
>PepsiMan edition

Pretty based
>>
Where the flying fuck do i find solid information about good chairs, the internet gives me the phrase IT'S AWESOME, or IT SUCKS without any reasons whatsoever.
>>
>>51646784
Thanks famalam. Here goes nothing.
>>
>>51646788
Fuck buying chairs online. I do almost all my shopping online, but a chair is the one thing that I have to physically sit in to know whether it's the one for me.
>>
>>51646524
probably in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ somefile.conf monitor section
>>
>>51646733
install Lubuntu
>>
>>51637301
>>51637351
>>51637631

Someone plz
>>
>>51646803
Being stuck in the middle of nowhere in australia limits my options, i'm more just asking if there are reliable sources for chairs that someone on /g/ would know about, i'm looking to throw down any amount of money really.
>>
Yo senpaitachi

B85 or h81 mobo

Yes, I am a poor fuck up
>>
>>51646826
But I need to format the HDD first.
>>
Is there a torrent client that can keep track of previously downloaded torrents? like in an archive list?

Just pausing the torrents isn't sufficient since when I restart the client it has "missing files" for torrent on external hard drive and I have to force recheck.
In addition, downloading 7zip files means having two copies if I want to keep it on the torrent list.
>>
>>51646850
People used to recommend ikea office chairs some time ago. I have a cheap one and it's ok. Maybe you should make a chair thread and see what people use.
>>
>>51646850
Your best bet to get in-depth information is probably somewhere on 4chan. Either a battlestation thread, or maybe make a dedicated chair thread.
>>
>>51646817
thanks! well, tried that but the file doens't even exist, and no config file that looks like a list of resolutions.

just for a PC to read/write emails, have a wordprocessor and store/share photos and videos it's more than sufficinet but all i got here is a 1MBPS internet and an ubunutu disc :I

fuck my life.

>>51646524
nah the thing is, the screen is 1440x900, they want to see full pages and non blurry photos. they are in fact not blind and there is no way besides using a hdmi monitor to display shit correctly. the price of freedom... i guess.

i fear a dist-upgrade will force install bloatware instead of just that Gnome2 desktop
>>
>>51646869
Vuze
>>
>>51646862
no, *buntu installer(s) have a partitioning tool included, its a no brainer
>>
>>51645808
Have you tried port forwarding?
>>
>>51646932
you have to create it anon
look for wikis on how to
>>
>>51646969
Oh alright, then why recommend lubuntu exactly? Is it your favorite or something?
>>
>>51646932
>>51646524
>Athlon XP / 2Gb / Radeon9 200
Let them die alreadyyou fucking poorfag. You probably live in some soviet shit country I couldnt even watch HD video on that shit, kill yourself. Ubuntu wouldnt support a 10yo machine moron
>>
>>51646985
Well, the reason to choose Lubuntu over Ubuntu would be that on top of being shitty, the Unity DE is flashy, which makes it eat more RAM to run than other, more minimal DEs.
Other than preference though, I don' think there's a big difference between Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, et cetera.
>>
>>51646985
it (LXDE) is created with the intent of being as close to classic windows as possible (at least that is how it look)
the file manager is exellent and again similar to windows explorer
it uses like 200MiB (it can be much less but it's a *buntu) and overall the system makes it possible for the applications you use to make the most of your hardware
it is easy to use, simple and very clear on what is what because of the well established classic look and feel
beeing part of the *buntus it offers all of their user helpers to make installing/updating easier for non tech people
>>
>>51647028
Shut the fuck up retard.
>>
>>51646984
Thanks a lot anon!
I'll try this after the little update. hope it won't fuck up everything.
>>
>>51647028
you again?
this is a decent machine and all works smoothly on my screen (1920x1200)

have you got a notion of respect, shitposting from an overpriced bloatware hosting toy?
>>
>>51647063
one sure way to set dpi is in ~/.Xresourses but i dont know if/how it applies to external monitors as well
>>
>>51647088
anh imho it's the issue where Ubuntu doesn't detect any higher resolution. it does run all the fancy extra mode animations, which means the driver is almost okay, even though adobe flash crashes. but just won't keep the config

>cvt 1440 900
gives
>1440x900 59.89 Hz (CVT 1.30MA) hsync: 55.93 kHz; pclk: 106.50 MHz blahblah
so i continued with
>xrandr --addmode VGA-0 1440x900_60
>xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1440x900_60
while on a DVI LCD things reaches 1920x1200
okay i got enough of this shit. sorry, its just simple things that requires a mountain, also it's for other users who doens't manage to set their LCD resolution properly because fucking linux wont detect properly the signals from plug n play devices.
>>
>>51647196
>its just simple things that requires a mountain
funnily enough i've yet to figure out setting custom modelines in windows, where in linux it's simple as fuck

>captcha: select all the mountains
>>
>>51647196
you could add that randr command to autostart with your session
>>
>>51647225
>>51647196
read through your conversation, try this;

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf;
http://pastebin.com/8p1Vc9Up
(spam filter didn't like it)
(change VGA-0 if it's wrong, run "xrandr" by itself to find out what port is in use)

once that's in there, just restart X (for example, log out then back in) and 1440x900 should be an option (and the default)
>>
File: DSC04697.jpg (341 KB, 2456x1632) Image search: [Google]
DSC04697.jpg
341 KB, 2456x1632
>>51647225
depends if you're on nvidia or amd, but it's possible, or at least it's easy to mod the .info file for really exotic timings and shit if you use a CRT.

>>51647291
i think it's a bit too late. just rebooted because apparently Ubuntu had a very promising update to apply.

goodbye guys, i just waste my time, now i stop doing this shit and will go outside, enjoy the sun, because being the slave of some IRC holier than thou hipsters or wasting my time trying commands that never work, it's not freedom. it's slavery, it's a waste of time.
i'll let the gramps borrow one of my thinkpads in the meantime i reinstall a decent windows on this thing.

it's not giving up. it's because some distros are fucked up beyond reason.
>>
>>51647358
can't really help with that since it's in french(?), but whatever
>>
I'm trying to install Grub Manager on my Windows partition, and it requires to disable Safe Boot when running on EFI.

I have nothing like that in my interface, but there's an option to disable UEFI boot.

Will that be enough to install the Manager using the BIOS configuration ?
>>
Virtual machine? Is it a emulated OS? Is it windows? Can I fuck up my OS in virtual machine?
Why would you use linux? Is it worth it if you're not a programmer?
>>
How do I tell if a HDD is failing? Just now everything froze on my computer and then stopped working and gave me an I/O error when trying to access the drive

A few programs running were on the drive in question, could that cause these problems if it failed? I couldn't even restart for ages and now my PC has been saying "shutting down" for the last 5 minutes.

I'm gonna hard reset but what's the best way of going about determining the cause of the problem?
>>
File: tcatal.jpg (32 KB, 558x422) Image search: [Google]
tcatal.jpg
32 KB, 558x422
Avast is blocking acces to /t/catalog and reporting JS:ScriptPE-inf [Trj]

Anyone have this issue?

pic related
>>
File: ApacheIII-1.jpg (104 KB, 374x374) Image search: [Google]
ApacheIII-1.jpg
104 KB, 374x374
Is the pic related is good replacement for stock cooler?

Right now I'm using stock Intel cpu cooler. No plan for overclocking whatsoever
>>
I currently have an AMD FX8320 overclocked to 4.0GHz. I want to go Intel, though, so whats an intel processor which is the equivalent, or slightly better, than my AMD one? Or rather, what's a good intel processor for gaming which isn't overly expensive?
>>
>>51647482
Virtual machines can't destroy the OS they're on. That's the whole point of using them: to try out something without damaging your PC. Linux usually means a performance boost compared to Windows, also providing a ton of competent software for free. If you like PC gaming odds are you'll get everything running natively or using Wine.

Mi advice: try any of the *buntus (Kubuntu or Xubuntu) on a virtual machine (Virtualbox is a good idea) and if you like it go ahead and dual boot. You can find help in >>51644564
>>
>>51646177
very bottom, my son
>>
>>51647795
bump
>>
>>51647700
Sounds like a OS failure, which could be caused by the HDD.

if it's an SSD yeah, it could be broke and you're screwed. If it's a traditional disk, you'll probably be able to fix it. Take the disk out and get a USB adapter/case, then try it on another computer. If it mounts, copy your stuff and then make a "slow" format, it will detect and fix any broken sector. By fixing I mean disable, but the final result is a working HDD with a few bits less. You won't notice it. Once format is complete you can put it back in your PC and make a clean OS install.

If it doesn't mount.. you're screwed. Try a professional hard disk recovery company if you have important stuff. If not, just throw it out and get a new HDD.
>>
>>51646509
This is my stupid question.

I don't really want to bump my post, but i forgot to add 2 important points:
- i hardly ever play games (maybe 1-2 times in a year) but i sometimes use Photoshop and such, so i need a dedicated gpu.
- now that i found that pcie x16 ssd actually exist, would my motherboard boot from it without issues?

Thank you.
>>
File: 124031870_2GG.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
124031870_2GG.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
Just bought a Moto X Play.
Toughts on it? First ~Real~ smartphone im getting, who will allow me to get decent apps and stuff to make my life more flexible. What should i go for?
Any advices?
>>
Is there anything wrong with using a TV instead of a monitor for my computer
>>
>>51647700
hddscan check smart data or do tests
>>
>>51648175
Input lag
>>
Would 10GB data per month be enough to cover browsing and video watching? I want to be a Jew and save money
>>
I have a question regarding mainboards.

Why should you use a H or B mainboard if you don't plan on overclocking? I know that Z boards are for overclocking. Can you use Z boards with a locked CPU? Anything bad that could happen?

I'm asking because I'm building a PC and in my country the Z mainboards are cheaper than the H or B ones.
>>
>>51648557
If the Z is cheaper than the H, get the Z
>>
new to mpc hc
really great video player but from what I see I can only play subtitle files if I download it from the player itself
I have a sub file already downloaded, any way I could play this or do I have to redownload from the player?
>>
>>51648580
Okay, thanks
>>51648582
Have you tried dragging the subtitle file into the video window? Should work I think.
>>
>>51648427
yes
also, >>>/pol/
>>
>>51648599
holy fucking shit this player is amazing
I thought of doing that before but thought no way it'd work lol
thanks my g
>>
I've been running an AMD A8-3750K processor forever. Looking at some upgrades for gaming, I know my GPU situation sucks, but processors are still quad core and getting toward 4Ghz costs a few bucks. Is it worth going with a new processor and mobo, or just a new discrete GPU?
>>
>>51648644
A8s and A10s have been the best bang for your buck cpu's out there for a few years now. You prolly don't need to change it, but check cpuboss and compare it to whatever you're looking and see if it's a good idea to upgrade or not.
>>
>>51647795
bump
>>
>>51648720
Thanks. Maybe I'll just get a GPU for now, throw it on my existing board, and see if I really need the CPU upgrade.
>>
>>51648757
I've had that too in the past. Some troll posted a code snippet that triggered it. You will likely find it if you look through the entire catalogue.
>>
what e-ink e-reader would /g/ recommend?
>>
What the fuck is this guy saying?
>>
>>51648773
I have an A10-5800k and a pleb GPU (geforce gtx 750ti) and I can play literally everything.
>>
My SSD is arriving today. I have around 700GB used on my HDD and the SSD is a 250GB. Should I just delete all my games and excess files and switch that over or should I just wipe everything by doing a fresh install of Windows? Would a fresh install help system speed?
>>
how the FUCK do I burn an iso to a usb on linux (debian), UNetbootin didn't work and I want m'windows back.
>>
>>51648817
he probably shoved it in him computer and expected windows to boot up or something
>>
What's a netcode in vidya?
>>
>>51648894
>falling for the SSD meme
Use it for your OS only. Maybe for the software you use the most too. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT trust your SSD your important files.
>>
>>51648866
Would my existing A8 and, say, an R9 290 do well? I'm gearing up for Star Citizen and was thinking about a CPU upgrade before I go Windows 10 so I can transfer my 7 OEM to a new CPU. Also, my existing mobo is PCIe 2.0, will a 3.0 card do well?

Sorry, I've been out of the game for a while.
>>
>>51648789
thanx
>>
why is (NOT (x AND Y)) equivalent to (x and NOT y)

fuck sql
>>
Botnet just updated to the newest version, and now in the right click menu on images "Open image in new tab" is above "Save image as".

Anyone know how I can swap them back to their original positions?
>>
>>51648974
There's no problem/performance drop when using a pcie 3.0 card on a 2.0 slot.

You should be able to play nicely with that setup. I'ts a good idea to stay away from Win10 unless you desperately want dx12, which has lazy support by most developers these days, including those of Star Citizen.
>>
File: p2.gif (652 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
p2.gif
652 KB, 620x350
>>51645572
The nostalgia, and it explain my pepsi addiction and cans insertion fetish.

Q. How to make ytdl+mpv choose 360p/480p youtube resolutions?
>>
>>51649209
Write a letter to your botnet owners, in it: include a prayer and some money. Feel better knowing the gods who literally control your electronic autonomy may be less angry with you. Live a happy life with whatever choices are made for you.
>>
>>51649237
Not only do I want to nab 10 while it's still free, I just got an Xbox One and my wife is greedy about the TV, so streaming would be nice.
>>
File: 1446301373668.webm (723 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
1446301373668.webm
723 KB, 853x480
How do I into binaural sound recording if I have a single audio jack?
>>
File: a.jpg (283 KB, 871x707) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
283 KB, 871x707
>>51649285
specify them on the command line, or the mpv config file using ytdl-format

find out what's available with youtube-dl -F <url>

pic for example (480p vp9 + 160k opus)
>>
How to extract the music from keygens?
>>
File: PEPSIMAN_zps6690037a.png (307 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
PEPSIMAN_zps6690037a.png
307 KB, 512x512
>>51649406
I knew that I meant as a way to always choose that without going through th -F argument.
Unless do you mean that the DASH numbers are constant for all videos?
>>
I'm about to go buy used speakers, anything I should look out for?
>>
Is there any reason not to build part of a computer now, and the rest later?

Right now I only have the Mobo, CPU, RAM, and case. If I just put those parts in now, and leave them for a few days while the other parts come in, is there any issue?
>>
File: m500.jpg (34 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
m500.jpg
34 KB, 375x500
My 7 years old G9 is dead. Looking for a new mouse, /g/.

I'm not looking for a "gamer" one, but I don't care either.

I've seen two models :
>Logitech M500 (laser)
>Logitech G300s (optical but more buttons and tools)

Do you recommend one model ? The wiki page is deprecated...
>>
>>51649504
No hard drive is pretty much a "no" to the question. Also, unless you have an onboard GPU and your OS on a flash drive, you'd need a video card and optical drive.
>>
I've got a PC business. What AV should I preinstall on machines?

I personally run common sense, so I have no idea what to image
>>
>>51649472
in the mpv config file, it's "ytdl-format=<formats>
the options are all the same, just on the command line you put "--" before them, and in the config file you don't

the format numbers are the same per format, like "244" is always 480p vp9, and 251 is always 160k opus

not all videos have the same format available though, but you can specify more than one format, and ytdl will pick the first available

for example, if you specify say,
ytdl-format=244+251/243+250/135+171/best
it will first try 480p vp9 + 160k opus, then 360p vp9 + 70k opus, then 480p avc + 128k vorbis, then just the best non-dash (often 720p, or 360p if it was never an hd source)
>>
>>51647394
>>51647358
No need to spreak french, it won't boot anymore, reinstall everything again.
Ubuntu a shit.
It's just fucked. Nothing else to do, even updating packages or trying to modify a screen resolution file will cause this. I gave up years ago and I see there are still people fighting for this shit.

>>51649457
Try installing "reshacker" and browse for the midi sequence file through the tree, and you might be able to extract the midi sequence.
>>
why can't freetards do UX design worth shit
>>
Bitcoin noob here. is it possible to buy bitcoin on localbitcoin without linking a bank account to a website like coinbase?

I know there are "wallets", is there a recommended one that does not require a bank account?
>>
>>51649594
keygen music are rarely midi files, rather some tracker format like xm, mod, s3m, etc
>>
>>51649625
different target audience
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Just put in my new card. This is how my boot screen looks now.
No problem once Win7 starts loading, and no problems in win7. But boot screen looks like this every time. Should I be worried?
>>
>>51649570
I see, what's better DASH or Non DASH?
>>
How good is HAF912 as a case?
>>
>>51649675
dash has more options, the only use for non-dash now is for the *really* old formats, like 144p/240p 3GP
>>
I just got an ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q and an MSI Radeon R9 390, I have also uninstalled my old drivers and reinstalled the newest drivers for this card. The default refresh rate was set to 60Hz. I am in Windows 7.

I'm trying to get 144Hz to work, but the highest setting I can put it on is 120Hz at the moment.

What I did was:
>Plug everything in
>Uninstalled old Catalyst Software Suite
>Installed new Catalyst Software Suite (version 15.30.1025, Crimson edition, 299MB)
>Right-clicked desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> Monitor -> Set the display refresh rate to 120 Hz (the highest option)

What can I do to get 144Hz? Did I do something wrong?
>>
File: a.png (66 KB, 566x314) Image search: [Google]
a.png
66 KB, 566x314
>>51649704
-- yea, youtube still provides 3gp videos

just incase you still use dialup or a ~12 year old cellphone...
>>
>>51649693
I hear it's very good. The Storm Trooper is also a very good option, but you can't go wrong either way.
>>
>>51649629
If you're transferring money from an account they'll probably need a bank account number.
If you don't know, it doesn't really hurt to make an account to check.

use electrum for a wallet. don't use wallets hosted by someone else.
>>
File: 1440138088986.png (201 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
1440138088986.png
201 KB, 325x325
I can't open, upload, or compress the .dmp file from a blue screen crash. I keep getting "access denied" despite having clear ownership of it.

WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO?! The rest of the internet seems to not understand this question, I searched and it seems everyone just says "lol take ownership dumbass" or "we cant help you if you dont upload the .dmp"

please this is infuriating i shouldnt have to spend over 15 minutes to figure this shit out
>>
>>51649812
>boot linux livecd
>copy .dmp
>???
>>
>>51649364
you need the right kind of mic. I forget exactly what it's called, they take sound in two directions.
>>
>>51649846
a stereo mic, or just two mics
>>
>>51649158
If i remember right, AND or && only evaluates true if both statements are true. this is true for every language.
>>
>>51648936
what the game uses to connect and how it reacts to different network conditions.
it is often confused with server lag, or something similar.
>>
Let's say a girl uploaded a picture on Facebook and then edited it (after the upload, via Facebook). How do I view the unedited version? I know there is a way to do that. I just don't remember how.
>>
>>51649790
>>51649790
so i set up my wallet. I click on receive in electrum 2.5.4 and I see my "receiving address".

I can now just go on localbitcoin and buy some from a reputed seller and give him this address now, and I will receive the bitcoin and be able to send it to someone else?

this is basically all I want to do. Sorry for the questions, I'm from /fit/, I'm tech savy just don't know shit about how bitcoin works.
>>
>>51649845
good one m8
>>
>looking for a new laptop up to €1000 with a decent enough processor and memory
>1360x760 everywhere

Why is this allowed?
>>
I want to fuck up the social media accounts of a life ruiningly manipulative faggot. Wat do?
>>
SteelSeries 6Gv2 or CoolerMaster QuickFire XT?
>>
Would it be possible to apply custom interfaces to websites? Like websites who have undergone a design change that made it much worse; to something more bearable/relative to the original?

No point having a 4K screen if they make everything incredibly huge.
>>
Are people just misinformed about SSDs or should you really treat them like a helpless baby as so many people seem to do? I see so many people buy 250+ GB SSDs and just install their OS onto it and leave it alone because they think if they put anything else on it it will eat through the entire things lifespan in the blink of an eye.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GDmc8d
Is there anything I should change on this build /g/?
>>
>>51649209
Anyone?
>>
>>51649675
>not all videos have the same format available though
there is (almost always) a 360p webm available (don't remember it's code) unless the video is too shitty
>>
>>51650263
You probably don't need to spend so much on cooling but that's your choice.

I'm clueless on mobos but that looks like a standard z97 so whatever.

I hear the CX are not quality PSUs but I have the exact same one(I live in shitty country and didn't have many choices) and it works just okay, no problem until now. Check if it covers your overclocking needs, I don't know about that.
>>
Is Windows 10 really that bad? I'm doing a fresh install and I'm wondering if I might as well go ahead and upgrade now since I can get W10 free through my university.
>>
>>51650325
Can you read the EULA?
>>
>>51650286
There must be none except if you rewrite part of the code and compile it for yourself.
>>
Currently I have an MSI z97 gaming mobo that I don't need. I'm going to use it to start building a home server.

What's the smallest case I could use in this situation?
>>
>>51650362
Welp, great. Thanks anyways.
>>
>>51650321
Thanks, I plan on overclocking the CPU so I went for the AIO cooler
>>
>>51649945
yes.
>>
>>51650095
it's a standard that lets you play 720p video effectively.
you can filter it if it triggers you.
>>
I got an XPS 13 with only 4GB of RAM. I was a dumbfuck cheapass who didn't want to pony up for at least 8GB.

Should I just sell it ASAP to minimize my losses and get a computer that works, or am I being nitpicky?
>>
I've fucked my r9 290 and I get no display. Is there anyway of fixing this or is it fit for the bin?
>No display when booting
>fans spin and is powered fine
I did get a weird pink and yellow pattern before it stopped working completely, what does this mean?
>>
Would you guys say that a 40 inch tv is too big for a viewing distance of 4ft to 5 ft (122-152 cm)?
>>
>>51649812
>Windows
>>
File: 3688946.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
3688946.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
I currently have a ASUS PB238Q monitor, and I really like it. I'm planning on getting a second one - anything I should know before jumping into a dual monitor setup? Never done it before.
>>
>>51650464
Depends on what you need it for.
>>
Any recommended VPNs/Proxies for downloading shit?
>>
Is ProtonMail a botnet or no? What is a good privacy respecting email service?
>>
minus the gpu, is this a good build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FNZyYJ
>>
I want to do a timelapse of when I'm working on my computer.

I'm thinking of letting fraps run and take a screenshot every second but that might not be adequate.

Does anyone here know of a good lightweight, as in no noticable performance drops, program for screengrabbing every second or maybe two times a second?
>>
>>51650389
what's the size? ATX/mATX?
>>
How do I use MPV to play youtube videos on palemoon? I'm using Manjaro and am fairly new to this stuff.
>>
>>51650800
ffmpeg/OBS.
>>
>>51645572
PEPSIMAAAAAAAAAAAN
>>
>>51650743
Looks good to me.

>>51650153
Please?
>>
File: 1444433597087.png (1 KB, 76x55) Image search: [Google]
1444433597087.png
1 KB, 76x55
>>51650634
serves me right for coming to /g/ for help, eh?

memes aside, linux is really becoming more and more appealing every day--sucks that theres more games on fucking Max OS X tho.
>>
>>51650996
>>51649812
welp im retarded, i figured "[Computername]/Administrators" included the single fucking account on my computer.

Why is that not the case then? This was quite the annoyance.
>>
A local company went bust. They had a lot of hardware that they needed to get rid of. I now have 128 GiB of free ECC memory, all in 8 GiB sticks.

Why do I do with it? Can normal mobos take ECC memory? I know they can't use the ECC features, but can they just use it as normal RAM?
>>
>>51651041
>Why do I do with it?
Should say
>What do I do with it?
>>
So i have a problem with my S6 Edge. I tried to root it yesterday, which failed. Then i wanted to reinstall/recover Android 5.1.1 and tried it with 2 different files already. Both of them failed, because Odin told me the device was removed right before the installation finished for some reason. Now i get that screen that tells me to do the recovery via Smart Switch, but Smart Switch says my phone isn't supported by it. Kies also doesn't work. What do? The Model is g925fxxu3coi9 btw.
>>
File: 1435593059502.gif (2 MB, 300x347) Image search: [Google]
1435593059502.gif
2 MB, 300x347
>>51649747
>xrandr
>pulse
>opengl-hq
What are your rig specs?mpv version?
And why AO=pulse instead of pulseaudio or alsa?
Is there difference between opengl and opengl-hq?
I'm getting annoying frame drops when playing 1080p.
>>
If I preload a series/ movies, sometimes I can't use other websites in the meantime. I just get time-outs. Why is that?
(Could that have something to do with destroying net-neutrality in EU, where I live?)
>>
>>51651041
give it a whirl. you do have a computer right in front of you, do you not?
>>
>>51651252
>you do have a computer right in front of you, do you not?
I don't want to break my computer or the memory.

I can give it a try, though.
>>
>>51651290
I have another question. I got a free server chassis too. It's a Sun Fire x4150. It will take 64 GiB of RAM (which I already have) and have dual quad-core Xeons.

Would it be possible to use it as a desktop? It's a 1u unit. Are there any GPUs that would fit it?

I know it wouldn't be a great desktop. It's a server rather than a tower and it's quite old. But it's free and my current desktop is an absolute PoS, so it might be worth it.
>>
>>51650464
If the rest is fine then you can buy some more ram, most notebooks can.
>>
are there any android phone keyboards without fucking ads?
>>
What exactly is Gentoo? I know it's a operating system, but what makes it different to anything else other than you program things yourself?
>>
>>51651477
He'd probably wind up throwing out the 4 GiB he already has, though, which is a waste. It might be 1x4 in which case he can just need 4 GiB, but it's probably 2x2 which means he'd be buying a full 8 GiB.
>>
>>51650821
You could download them
>>
File: speccy spec specs.png (50 KB, 1924x1044) Image search: [Google]
speccy spec specs.png
50 KB, 1924x1044
Got a ÂŁ500 budget and i use it for gaming, what should i upgrade /g/?
>>
File: 1439249350530.jpg (19 KB, 337x337) Image search: [Google]
1439249350530.jpg
19 KB, 337x337
Is Google still enforcing google+ acc if you want to have youtube acc?
>>
>>51651559
Yes.
>>
>>51651573
Fuck.
>>
File: 1389382767616 (1).png (2 MB, 1000x4700) Image search: [Google]
1389382767616 (1).png
2 MB, 1000x4700
>>51648160
pic related might help, lurk /spg/ and you might pick up shit too
>>
>>51650630
bump for this question
>>
The Benq XL2411Z is for sale tomorrow. Are its colours really as shit as they say? Should I refrain from buying?
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-02+at+04.16.00).jpg (124 KB, 896x456) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-02+at+04.16.00).jpg
124 KB, 896x456
Are these two compatible?
>>
File: Pardalotus_with_nesting_material.jpg (228 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
Pardalotus_with_nesting_material.jpg
228 KB, 1600x1067
What is the point of using Dolby D on my television with no external sound sources? Will switching from Dolby D to stereo make things sound more "even," with less blaring music and quiet as fuck talking scenes?
>>
File: uttiag_2015-12-02_14-24-37.png (42 KB, 1205x346) Image search: [Google]
uttiag_2015-12-02_14-24-37.png
42 KB, 1205x346
>>51651708
Yes
>>
File: 1438688134946.jpg (10 KB, 225x150) Image search: [Google]
1438688134946.jpg
10 KB, 225x150
>>51651838
Phew, thanks Anon
>>
File: Capture.png (4 KB, 225x101) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4 KB, 225x101
Backstory:
>gpu fan begins making scary loud noise
>remove gpu and put in an old 2009 card i had sitting on a shelf
>install drivers and get it to run both screens
>open task manager
>only 3 of 6gb ram showing

I don't believe I damaged any sticks because I had the PC unplugged, drained the residual power, and never touched any PCB during surgery. Speccy suggests that all 4 sticks are working but displays this weird shit. With all that in mind, any idea what might be wrong?
>>
File: 81H8xQUi3zL._SL1500_.jpg (89 KB, 866x1500) Image search: [Google]
81H8xQUi3zL._SL1500_.jpg
89 KB, 866x1500
Is the Logitech G502 Proteus a good replacement for my G9x?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Proteus-Tunable-Customizable-910-004074/dp/B00IRHE892/
>>
>>51648817
"I thought all hard drives come with OS X out of the box and now I have to learn more about computers to get anywhere"
>>
File: P2415Q-front-off.jpg (133 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
P2415Q-front-off.jpg
133 KB, 1024x768
So I just ordered P2415Q for 385€.
>4k
>99% sRGB
>under 400€
Seems suspicious. Did I goofed somehow?
>>
>>51650139
stay away from cancerous people.
>>
>>51652042

plug it in, turn it on and see if you goofed you dork
>>
>>51652042
No, but it's silly to get such a tiny 4k monitor. You need at least 32" for 4k to make sense.
>>
>>51649916
Bump
>>
I already know basic C, and basic Java, but i want to learn a language and be the fucking best at it. What should i learn? and why?
>>
>>51651875
you could've moved your RAM modules while changing cards. Take them out an put them back in. See if problem persists.
>>
>>51652263
Not my picture, I just ordered it a few hours ago. Should get it on Friday.

>>51652271
Eh, I thought higher pixel density might be nice. There was a 27" version, but it cost nearly twice that.
>>
>>51652283
just learn to be a good programmer, the language doesn't matter.
>>
If im only using my computer for gaming and want to upgrade my gpu should I worry about upgrading my MB and cpu along with it? The cpu and MB are 6 or 7 years old and I don't want it to hold back my potential new gpu.
>>
How do I secure erase a SSD without bricking it?
>>
>>51651206
>I want to be the best at something
>but I don't know what :^)

You're off to a good start.

>What shold I learn?
Whatever you want
>and why?
Because you fucking enjoy it.
>>
>>51652283
If you program for fun go for whatever you find more appealing. If you want better job offers go for COBOL, most banks still use that ancient shit and pay good money for people who can handle it.
>>
>>51652324
i'd say you can mostly get away with a new gpu but you should upgrade your cpu if it's going to bottle neck your gpu

post speccy if you can
>>
>>51651176
>What are your rig specs?
FX8320 @ 3.9GHz/1.38v
HD7850 2G, foss radeonsi driver
>mpv version?
mpv git-fee45c0
>why AO=pulse instead of pulseaudio or alsa?
"pulse" is pulseaudio
% mpv --ao=help | grep pulse
pulse : PulseAudio audio output

>Is there difference between opengl and opengl-hq?
different defaults, "opengl" being "safer", and "opengl-hq" enabling a bunch of fanciness. it's just a preset though, you can use "opengl" and just enable additional things manually as well (or use opengl-hq and enable even more in addition to that)
>>
>>51652375
On mobile so no can do but I'll do more digging and see, just wanted a quick response so thank you anon.
>>
File: 1404818029131s.jpg (2 KB, 99x125) Image search: [Google]
1404818029131s.jpg
2 KB, 99x125
Windows 10 100% valid for free guide:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things you will need:

Windows 7 Professional torrent, this specific build:

http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso.torrent

KMSpico:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/65739-KMSpico-Official-Thread

Windows Media Creation Tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

1. Install the Windows 7 ISO onto your drive with your preferred method. Skip entering key during installation.

2. Activate using KMSpico

3. Run Windows Update, install ALL updates and restart

4. Delete all files in
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

5. run the Media Creation Tool and select "Upgrade Now!" (important!)

6. next next etc etc until Windows 10 is installed, DONE.

7. Now that you have fully valid Windows 10, you can make your own install disks for fresh installs if you desire.
>>
>>51651477
soldered into the motherboard

the future is great eh?
>>
>>51652580
Wow, really?
Christ.
>>
>>51652542
why not just download windows 10 and run kmspico?
>>
>>51652606
but then how would you install his BIOS botnet?
>>
>>51652606

You have to reevaluate every few months, no official support, and you have software you don't trust (KMSpico) instead of a fully clean and legal install.
>>
Is there a program for linux to take screenshot?
Let me rephrase I need to take a screenshot of a webpage but I need to scroll and I can't seem to scroll when taking screenshot.
>>
How stupid would it be to transport my 21 inch monitor over hand luggage on a plane?
>>
>>51652668
pad it heavily with shirts, but don't pack them too dense
>>
>>51652667
Screenfetch
Then screenfetch -s
There's plenty of other feautures
>>
>>51652692
Will it work with XFCE DE?
>>
>>51651529
fuck off paki
>>
Any good ROMs for note 3? I'm using cm12.1 but camera is shit.
>>
>>51652680
I really don't trust it, but I'm going away for half a year, so I could really use it.
Would bubble foam work better/worse?
>>
File: pengadv.png (2 MB, 1190x974) Image search: [Google]
pengadv.png
2 MB, 1190x974
I've got a spare SSD and plan on installing Linux on, and I'm looking to backup and reinstall Windows on my current drive. Can I set up dual boot after installing the OSes or do I need to do something beforehand? What's the best software for dual-booting?
>>
>>51652759
bubble wrap, no foam. foam is a bit too rigid for a niggerrigged carry case.

i wouldn't worry about it so much. lcds can take some abuse with regard to bending and frontal pressure. people just misinterpret "some abuse" to mean "i can drop this and it'll still work".

as long as you're the one carrying your luggage at all times you'll be fine.
>>
>>51652727
Should do
>>
File: first two switched.png (58 KB, 581x425) Image search: [Google]
first two switched.png
58 KB, 581x425
What's the best way to switch these first two context menu items, pic related? It happened after a crash this morning and I want to put it back. Google gives me plenty of ways to add/remove things, but I want to edit the actual order. It also seems most of the answers have to do with editing the registry and I dunno shit about registry editing. Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>51652668
i moved a 22" lcd monitor via regular luggage just wrapped in shirts
though this doesn't prove much
>>
>>51652667
>>51652692
>>51652727

1. just screenfetch -s is enough
2. Press the "print" key. Maybe dependi[spoiler][/spoiler]ng on your distro it won't do anything...
>>
>>51646401
You're not forced to switch just because of Cyanogen
>>
Is there a proper guide about mouse DPI, polling rate and sensitivity? All I've found was either ambiguous, contradictory or "buy this shiny gaming mouse, goyim"-tier marketing.
>>
>>51652815
Only available in Firefox > Menu Editor
>>
Anyone know simple free software for downloading YouTube vids? Just want something without restrictions or watermarks
>>
>>51652887
KeepVid, youtube-dl, aTube Catcher
>>
>>51652818
I would break down if I'd do this, the shit you see those luggage movers do.
>>
My computer makes a constant, quiet, buzzing noise, even when it's turned off (although it's louder when it's turned on), and the sound seems to emanate from the PSU. I tried using a different outlet and switching the power supply to a spare, but in both cases, the noise was still there. Is this normal? Are my power supplies just noisy?
>>
>>51652931
you said carry-on though right? airport mouthbreathers shouldn't ever have to touch it except to send it through the xray.
>>
Hitachi tv, yes or no?
>>
>>51652887
add "ss"

www.youtube.com/video-name-playing
www.ssyoutube.com/video-name-playing
>>
Hey /g/. I'm looking for a good video player. I was using potplayer but it's gone shit on me and I'm too much of a normie to use mpv. Please recommend a good player that is not vlc or wmp. Thanks.
>>
>>51653018
mpv
>>
> alias cp="rsync -ah --progress"

Am I safe to do this? Will this work for all use cases of cp?
>>
>>51653044
Maybe something a little more user friendly?
>>
>7. Now that you have fully valid Windows 10, you can make your own install disks for fresh installs if you desire.
I don't get this part does this mean that you can create an .iso with windows 10 already verified?

>>51652636
>You have to reevaluate every few months, no official support
what
>>
>>51653018
MPC-HC
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.