[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steve Jobs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: apple-macintosh.jpg (138 KB, 516x480) Image search: [Google]
apple-macintosh.jpg
138 KB, 516x480
Without the Macintosh non of you would own a pc. Prove me wrong.
>>
File: MRW.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
MRW.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
I have a PC right now and I have never owned a macintoh
>>
Without Neanderthal Chuk-Chuk banging two rocks together, you wouldn't have your Macintosh.

Fuck Steve Jobs, all hail Chuk-Chuk.
>>
>>51642818
Yeah that PC wouldnt exist without Steve Jobs
>>
I'm pretty sure IBM was the reason families had PCs.
>>
>>51642869
this is stupid.
Without Hitler, none of you would a pc.
>>
>>51642837
Without a dying star releasing silicon, germanium and gold you wouldn't have your Macintosh.

Fuck Chuck-Chuck, all hail stars.
>>
>>51643130
Maybe then I've had gone outside and found a girlfriend

Thanks for nothing Hitler
>>
>>51642807
>Without the Macintosh non of you would own a pc

The PC, as macfags define it, existed before the mac - it was an IBM computer.

But you people have started calling windows computers PCs, as if your computer isn't a PC.

Why can't macfags into PC?
>>
>>51642807

This might have made sense if you had said "Windows" since Gates copied as much as he could from Macintosh and the first versions of the Toolbox. (In exchange for access to early documentation he promised to build software for Macs.)

>inb4 apple copied xerox!

Apple had engineers working on GUI related concepts and code before Jobs toured Xerox. Their university work predated or coincided with the research at Xerox PARC. The Xerox tour was more about convincing Jobs of the value of the GUI then about gleaning ideas. Xerox deserves a lot of credit, but so does Apple. Their guys contributed real innovations not seen in Xerox stuff.
>>
>>51642869
Xerox developed the GUI just fine without Steve "Surely Fruit Will Cure Cancer" Jobs.
>>
>>51642807
If the Mac didn't exist, MS would have still made Windows most likely, they had seen the Lisa and the work done at Xerox and ran off to make their own. Windows started development in 83.
and I'd probably own PCs still
The whole market would be different though, the original Mac really did push things, it was much faster than the piss-slow Lisa (more than twice as fast in practice), cheaper, nicer, not completely dicks locked up like the Lisa (really nasty DRM shit), etc.

Windows would also probably look different, the Windows 1 UI became quite a bit more Mac-like through its development compared to the more traditional DOS application look it was planned to have.
not to mention that whether deliberately or accidentally, Windows 95 works awfully similarly to Apple's System 7, and it does so in cases where 3.x and below didn't

>>51644262
The Xerox GUI stuff was actually kind of nasty to use compared to what Apple was working on at the time. Apple genuinely did polish things quite a bit.
>>
>>51642807
Commodore, Amiga, Atari, Sinclair, ...
>>
>>51644262

well there was gorilla glass long before steve jobs. but I agree with the OP bcs if steve jobs didn't organize things and push the industry forward for Personal use of computers who could? their motto is think different. so when the industrial giants only go for the business use apple went for personal use.

>if there was no apple, there would be no PC.
literally this. and it's ironic people call Mac or "PC".

they redesigned the telephone as smartphone, tablets, they showed the world how this is done. their computers are literally the most basic and user friendly devices with great user experience. so they aimed to make the ultimate normy computers and they succeeded.
>>
>>51644386
>their motto is think different.
that's a fucking marketing pitch you filthy applefag apologist. can you not separate the tim cook cock from the atmosphere around you?
>>
>>51642807
I'd owned three PCs before the Macintosh was even announced.

Thank you, Sir Clive.
>>
>>51644415
well what I'm trying to say is they have a base to their marketing strategy. they summarize it and let people understand what they are really for. ofc they make money.

today your chinkpads are much more expensive than a macbook when bought in new condition from lenovo; but the resale value is lower bcs businesses buy them in bulk then sell them cheap when the warranty is over and they can afford it because they profit from their business much more.

average user doesn't profit, they consume.

do you fucking see the idea behind all this?
>>
>>51644498
>do you fucking see the idea behind all this?
yes, you think you're some sort of rebel by buying the computer all your "friends" have
>>
>>51644515

ofc I don't think I'm a rebel or shit, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>51644528
>the shilling

S M H F A M
M
H
F
A
M
>>
>>51642807
xD
>>
File: commodore-logo.jpg (25 KB, 620x330) Image search: [Google]
commodore-logo.jpg
25 KB, 620x330
>>51644319
>>
File: ex-girlfriend-meme-14.jpg (43 KB, 550x537) Image search: [Google]
ex-girlfriend-meme-14.jpg
43 KB, 550x537
>>51644582

nice meming there
>>
Macintosh is not PC as in IBM PC which most people use nowadays. Even new Macs are IBM PC-compatible.
>>
>>51644386
>if steve jobs didn't organize things and push the industry forward for Personal use of computers who could?
Except Jack Tramiel probably did more for that than Steve Jobs ever did.

Macs were fucking expensive machines when they came out, even more expensive than IBM PCs. They were far beyond the means of even middle-income homes. Even the Apple ][ series was priced beyond what average people could afford. It was Commodore (along with Tandy and Atari) that drove prices into the range where microcomputers were affordable and thus became ubiquitous.

Secondary credit has to go to Compaq, for successfully reverse-engineering IBM's BIOS, leading to true PC-compatibles (previous "compatibles" were only MOSTLY compatible), thereby creating additional competition to drive prices down.
>>
>>51644803
>new Macs are IBM PC-compatible.
Hardware compatible, yes.

Software compatible (which would be needed to meet the usual definition of "PC-compatible"), no.
>>
>>51644962

well prices are always an issue with the latest or more advanced tech.
>>
>>51643130
>for nothing
What about all the exterminated jews?
>>
>>51645114
Yeah, but it's important to understand just how big the price gap was.

-1984 Macintosh: $2,495 (that's $5,783 in 2015 dollars)
-1984 Apple ][c: $1300 ($3,013 in todays' money).

When it was introduced in 1982 (two years before the Mac), the Commodore 64 sold for $595 ($1,431 today), but by mid-1983 (still months before the Mac came out) the price war with Tandy, Atari, TI, Coleco, etc., had pushed the C64 to $300 (~$721 now), and some stores were selling it at $199 ($479). Admittedly, that price did not include a monitor (nor did most of the other cheap home computers; most expected you to hook them up to a TV).

The Macintosh was a non-factor in the home market. Meanwhile, the C64 was the best-selling computer of all time.
>>
>>51642807
Isn't the burden of proof on you to prove your point?
>>
>>51642807
We don't have to prove you shit. You have to prove your sentence right, idiot.
>>
>>51644962
This...
>>
File: DSC_1934.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1934.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Ok
>>
>>51643235
>comes with a color screen
>mac costs twice and coems with a B&W screen ... 4 years later
why Apple is the queen of blind tech consumerism since its beginning
>>
>>51642807
>pure Steve Jobs I wanna make an affordable computer for pple
>>
>>51646030
gotta say, design-wise this thing is cute (as most IBMs before they hired Richard Sapper - who brought in his edgy stealth black designs into it, and was one of the first to call Apple pro-gay)
but i just wonder how some rounded, 17" monitor would look on a desktop case like this.
>>
>He thinks Apple invented pcs

Altair came out a few years earlier, are there any older pcs that I'm missing?
>>
File: DSC_1937.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1937.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>51646059
The IBM monitor was originally green and black, but someone figured out you can trick it into doing colors. Full color screens came later. The Apple 2 had color I think. Apple's logo was rainbow colored to advertise that they had computers with color. The Macintosh was purely Steve Jobs work and it's what fucked the company. The black and white screen was from Lisa which was a business computer by Apple. Lisa was promising but Steve Jobs fucked that project over as well because evul businesses will use it.
>>
stop helping this kid with his report
>>
File: DSC_1931.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1931.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>51646085
Debating the first PC is like debating the first Muscle car. It's iffy because "personal computer" was coined by IBM. But there were many cheap computers marketed for at home use during the time. Overall IBMs design is what became mainstream. A computer in a simple case and peripherals attach to it.
>>
>>51642807

I'm not arguing that you're wrong. But this is literally the problem with the Mac vs PC debate. It's plagued by low effort shitposting like this.

HURR DURR THE COMPUTER WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN INVENTED IF HITLER DIDN'T INVADE POLAND!
>>
>>51646122
how much does a 5100 go for nowadays?
>>
>>51646364
A lot. The guy that owns it says he has an Apple 1 as well.
>>
>>51644498
>well what I'm trying to say is they have a base to their marketing strategy

And that is: "If we convince people that they're unique we can get all of them to buy the same thing"
>>
>>51642869
xerox made a prototype PC that hand jobs copied
>>
File: kim1f_lg.jpg (281 KB, 900x1222) Image search: [Google]
kim1f_lg.jpg
281 KB, 900x1222
>>51644319
>>51644659

This, despite what most of the computing history documentaries and Apple movies say, Commodore actually came out with the first home personal computer. A good few months before Woz came up with the Apple 1.
>>
>>51643147
Without God...... Jk
>>
>>51646884
>hand done board
That should be considered art and put on a wall.
>>
Whithout him we wouldnt have to deal with this cancer board. Fuck this asshole!
>>
>>51643130
Without Hitler no Turing machines would probably every be created
>>
>>51647217
I see your fedora is on too tight.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.