[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just curious if any /g/oyim here have deleted themselves from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8
File: download.png (50 KB, 1027x519) Image search: [Google]
download.png
50 KB, 1027x519
Just curious if any /g/oyim here have deleted themselves from facebook, has it impacted your life in anyway? I think I'll get rid of mine, I'm a loner-type anyways and its too much of a distraction
>>
I have also been thinking about this.

While I hate using facebook and the mindless time drain it has become, I cant help but find t very useful for certain things (barter groups, car groups) that im part of with the normies.
>>
I use messenger a lot so I wouldn't consider deleting my account. But I installed the Kill News Feed extension and it's been amazing. Less distracting, and I feel better about myself because I don't get pounded with my friends' lives' highlights 24/7
>>
File: 1447379277397.png (462 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447379277397.png
462 KB, 1280x720
>>51642361
>>51642319
>>51642290

Have a lot of tested experience from facebook.

Yes. Delete it asap.

Without facebook you feel way more free.
You have more time to think, feel less stress and have more time on your hands.

Once you feel the liberty of not having facebook, you will be disgusted to the idea of returning to it again
>>
>>51642290
I deleted mine, didn't really talk to my friends on it anyways, so it wasn't a big deal. There are plenty of other ways to communicate.
>>
>>51642290
>I'm a loner-type

>its too much of a distraction

Well, which is it, you liar?

Personally, I stopped going to FB after a nasty family event soured my associations with it. It's easy, you just stop checking FB all the fucking time.
>>
It only takes up five minutes a day unless you're a filthy normie with a billion friends. Install the FB Purity greasemonkey script and hide the stupid shit ("trending stories", game stories and invites, yadda yadda) and use the cookie-scrubbing addon of your choice to delete it's trackers once you log out and close the tab. Think before you post anything and don't discuss your CP on it like that one nigger got busted for. There, sorted. It's a botnet, but it's useful and the problems with it can be contained without that much trouble.
>>
What's facebook?
>>
File: grap susp.png (15 KB, 109x102) Image search: [Google]
grap susp.png
15 KB, 109x102
>>51642605
>>51642622
Get of facebook its bad for your health guys.
>>
Deleted 6 years ago, I only shitposted on it to annoy my friends anyway.

Hasn't changed anything, people just text me now instead of sending me facebook bullshit.
>>
>deleting Facebook
>deleting
It's literally impossible to actually "delete" your Facebook account. You can only close it. They still have 100% of all the data of your account in their servers. You can reopen and restore your account at anytime, even 10 years later if Facebook is still alive.
>>
>>51642662
I cant reopen mine.
>>
i only check it a few times a week.

i deleted pretty much all of my SJW "friends" which made life a lot more pleasant. just quit talking to them all overnight. i can only take so much liberal faggotry, and i'm damn sure not going to take it on my personal time.
>>
>>51642290
I can't delete something I never had
>>
No, because I have a few friends who use it for communication. I abandoned it before for the better part of a year, nothing really changed.
>>
i will never delete it.
>>
>>51642716
IM DELETING YOU, DADDY! ██]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 10% complete..... ████]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 35% complete.... ███████]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 60% complete.... ███████████] 99% complete..... ERROR! True Daddies are irreplaceable I could never delete you Daddy! Send this to ten other Daddies who give you cummies Or never get called ️squishy️ again If you get 0 Back: no cummies for you 3 back: you're squishy️ 5 back: you're daddy's kitten
>>
>>51642290
I deleted like 2 years ago and I can honestly say that I forget that it still exists sometimes. I thought everyone had moved to Instagram and Twitter and Facebook became obsolete. I might reopen it just to check it out and see what kind of people are still there.
>>
>>51642734
Do I have a virus on my computer now?
>>
>>51642662
there's a proper delete. you're talking about deactivating.
>>
>>51642290
deleted my facebook of 7 years about 2 years ago. never looked back. dont miss it tracking me either.
>>
>>51642290
I deleted mine years ago.
Never going back.
>>
>>51642830
It's still tracking you.

I deleted mine but where I am everyone still uses it and are trying to persuade me back on it.
>>
i never made a facebook account.

feels good man
>>
Facebook is shit. Full of stolen videos uploaded by retards and shared everywhere. Minion quotes and even poor pepe being posted now. Only reason I keep it to stay in contact with a few. 1 in 10 posts are actual statuses by someone. The rest = recycled shit memes
>>
>>51642290
I did 2 months ago. Still feels great, you should do it too OP.
Just remember to get phone numbers and birthdates. People who cares about you will still contact you.
>>
File: shemitah-real.png (1 MB, 1366x2653) Image search: [Google]
shemitah-real.png
1 MB, 1366x2653
>>51642290
>/g/oyim
>>
>>51642290

From 2007 through 2009 I started up a number of accounts on several social media sites. Facebook, myspace, etc. On each, had one account that was the real me and two accounts with layers of anonymity. I guess I really went further back than that because I'd also built a number of Geocities sites 2003-2005-ish connected and isolated in various ways through different email accounts and proxies. That also included a bunch of yahoo accounts, which were really useful back then because they had lots of free online storage (like, a whopping 20 MB per account; it was madness, I tell you).

Probably was managing around 100 social media accounts and at least twice that in email accounts, about 2/3 with minimal activity to just keep them alive

Anyway, in early 2010 a lot of shit came down on me in RL like a shit ton of bricks made out of shit. I realized that I was spending a solid 8 hours nearly every day maintaining all this. At the time it was important for some things I was doing, and I'd streamlined a lot of the work with good methodology from half a decade of practice and setting it all up.

But, I evaluated that I wasn't getting the value out of it that I needed to support my life. On top of that, the facepage (in particular) as well as most of the other services started aggressively changing their policies to take away my rights for my content, take ownership of that content for their own uses, and many more "security features" were enabled (READ: privacy invasion) while other functionality was removed to take control away from the enduser.

So I methodically deleted all my content from every account, then deleted the accounts themselves. At the beginning of 2015 I could still find echoes of some of that on the Internet, but over the past six months or so nearly every single trace I can find has become incredibly obscure or has outright vanished.

Glad I got out early on while I still could erase most of that.

tl;dr -- Don't miss it.
>>
>>51645847
Is this picture satire? Please tell me it is.
>>
>>51642595
>Well, which is it, you liar?
you don't need to have a great social life to find fb distracting?
>>
>>51642290
Never used it to being with. I try not to let any of my personal relations last more than a year so it wouldn't be of any use to me.
>>
>>51642662
deactivating is different, you do have to access the actual delete link through google or the help pages though which is pretty suspect
>>
>>51642290
>filling in both the capcha's

tzededi nigger

is the only valid input
>>
>>51645847
>tfw when my birthday is september 13rd
>>
>>51642290
Once I finish uni it will be deleted,I have no friends or use of it and only use it right now to get uni information.
>>
>>51645947
wow. glad you got better from your social media schizophrenia.
>>
File: 1406713247200.png (405 KB, 520x668) Image search: [Google]
1406713247200.png
405 KB, 520x668
>>51642290
>2015
>using fagbook

Tried it once, it was boring as hell. Just the same stream of shit everyday. Deleted after 2 months. That was 5 years ago.
>>
>>51642290
deactivated mine for 4 years from 2011-2015, activated again because I started uni. Only had 150 friends, was mostly people I never talk to nowadays so made no difference.
>>
>>51642819
>>51646060
he is correct and he is not talking about deactivating, even hitting delete on a post does not errase it but only hide it from you, all you have been doing will forever be there
>>
>>51642290
I've not been online for about a month now, testing if that abstinence makes my life better. So far it doesn't.
I just switched to another mindless timesink. Also I somehow miss some groups.
>>
>>51642290
I have never made one. Can't see I ever will.
>>
File: 1438871686854.jpg (10 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
1438871686854.jpg
10 KB, 226x223
i deleted mine and now i have no friends

on the plus side I don't have to scroll through meaningless shit my social group posted, and instead look at other meaningless shit, often cat related
>>
>>51642425
This, I deleted my old Facebook and the only reason I have one now is because I need it to download certain music.
>>
Got rid of mine a year ago. Most people I know moved on to different services while only older people (40+) stay on fb these days.
>>
I got off FB a little over a year ago after moving to a new area. Haven't looked back honestly, forget about it quickly and realize how silly it was.
>>
I had one and pretty much never used it. Then I deleted it and as one would expect nothing changed.

Obviously if you make active use of it and your contacts expect you to be there it'll impact your life. Otherwise not at all.
>>
File: 1433109309064.png (126 KB, 315x315) Image search: [Google]
1433109309064.png
126 KB, 315x315
My facebook account exists, but is locked away, no one on the service can access it because they think I'm not real.

Since I refuse to actually use my real name on the service, I leave it like that.

Since then though, I've been a bit better as the content I read online is less tailored to an algorithm, and more shit I'm wanting to find myself. But I also have to rely on some other contact methods to stay in touch with people who want to keep everything centralised there.
There were a number of messages sent out to residence messages about important shit I never got, although I'm allowed to blame their ignorace as they are well aware that I don't use the service.

Otherwise I've been fine without it
good for my mental health
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.