[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
$3000.00 to spend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: fuji blue.jpg (2 MB, 5088x3460) Image search: [Google]
fuji blue.jpg
2 MB, 5088x3460
If you had $3000 to spend on a brand new desktop and monitor for the use of games right now. what would you get?
I am not very familiar with computer building so I don't want to try and build my desktop. I just got a pretty good job and I am moving next month and I want to get a good desktop for entertainment and gaming.
I don't know where else to go and ask this because any google search yields a mountain of shills..
Thanks in advance for any advice.
>>
>>51641692
Google logical increments and do some research. Easy.

Also, 3k is way overkill for just a gaming computer.
>>
>>51641718
This.

Just do research on a part, and look at features that satisfy your needs.
>>
>>51641692
I would buy another chromebook to put arch on and keep the rest for booze
>>
Mac
>>
>>51641718
This, don't listen to anyone in this thread about product recommendations. Do your own research, figure out what you want.
>>
>>51641718
>>51641742
Thanks, I appreciate the input. This is a great website..
Yeah I wasn't planning on spending 3k only the desktop. I wanted to get a nice monitor and maybe some speakers.
>>
>>51641718
>Not wanting 7680x1440@144Hz

It's like you don't know how to live.
>>
>>51641718
With speakers, 3 monitors, monitor mount, and other peripherals you can easily hit 3k without even building anything high end.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qnntzy

there you go dude
>>
>>51642336
You waisted a whole bunch of money on that SSD. Could of dispersed an extra 4-500 with a normal SSD to parts that really matter
>>
>>51641830
I'd definitely get an IPS 1440p monitor, which will eat away a lot of your funds.

I'd then get a nice, simplistic case that you don't think will look dated in 5 years. Then, get a quality PSU with more wattage than you think you'll need, but not twice as much or anything.

Get a mechanical keyboard if you're into that sort of thing, again, nothing with LEDs or stupid flashy stuff that you're going to regret in 5 years. Filco majestouch are nice, but there are others just as good.

Lastly, a nice mouse. Logitech discontinued my favorite mouse ever, the G400, which was ~$30 and is now over $100 new. So, not worth it at that price. Look around /g/. There are occasional infographics with "God tier / good tier / okay tier / shit tier" mice, there's some company that starts with a Z I think that is usually in the God tier. Anyway, again, no LEDs or flashy shit you're going to regret.

At this point, you'll have probably spent a fair bit of money, depending, mostly, on how much the monitor costs. But this is the stuff that you'll probably be able to keep for several computer builds, if you pick something that you'll still like in the future and doesn't happen to fail, but if you make good choices, failing hardware is much less likely.

With the remaining money, spend however much you decide you want to on the motherboard/CPU/RAM/GPU/SSD, none of these, except the SSD, maybe, is going to last beyond your first build. It makes more financial sense to go with mid-tier stuff, unless, for some reason, you need bleeding edge stuff right now (you don't). Don't try to future proof this like I told you to do with case, PSU, and peripherals. It makes much more sense to upgrade twice as often and spend half as much each time than to try to avoid upgrading for as long as possible by getting the fastest thing ever right now.

With any luck, you'll have $500-1000 left over after all this, which will probably be enough for your NEXT build a few years down the line.
>>
>>51641692
i'd see how i can double that money in a few months. not spend on games.
>>
>>51643012
lol how are you planning on doubling a sum of money in a few months? Go work at McDonald's full-time and keep the cash in your mattress?
>>
>>51643112
3000 on red :^)
>>
Typical /g/. Only capable of throwing money away.
>>
After reading into the logical increment site, I think I might try my hand at building a desktop. I was more intimidated by the thought of pairing different pieces that would under-utilize others.

>>51642779
I appreciate your input, i'll look into that. I already have a solid mechanical keyboard and luckily bought the g400 about a year ago.
>>51643012
I already work in finance. I am not interested in "doubling my money in a few months", as this is money I set aside for my own luxury, not my net worth.
Working in private equity; I am very interested in your portfolio or methods that are giving you this hyperbole idea of what growing wealth is.
>>
>>51641718
>Way overkill
You don't know anything about Intel or Nvidia, do you?
>>
Is this daily thread now?
>>
Keep it for a rainy day, you aspie pleb.
>>
>>51643594 --> >>51643509
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.