[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do we really know the long term effects of staring at a computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
Do we really know the long term effects of staring at a computer screen for hours on end? Has this been studied enough? Are there bad effects on our eyes and minds by being in front of a computer this much?
>>
>>51641242
I've definitely felt my vision get worse. Other than that I don't think it has much of an effect, no different than sitting down doing anything else anyway
>>
>>51641242
It's pretty universally known that it fucks your eyes from all the extra strain.
>>
>>51641242
Depression.
>>
>>51641578
This
>>
File: shit.jpg (871 KB, 2441x1496) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
871 KB, 2441x1496
Pic related.
>>
>>51641242
I've been staring at a computer screen my whole life, and I still have 20/20 vision to this day.

As for my mind, that's a different story...
>>
i get headaches if I'm at my computer too long now and my vision is getting worse as my computer usage has increased over the years. However, I've yet to determine if this this is causative or not. My vision has been declining since birth and as for the headaches, I believe it may be related to my chair/posture.
>>
>>51641378
>>51641630
Can the vision thing be negated by lowering brightness?
>>
>>51641662
I don't think staring at a computer screen affects your vision (at least not in my case). I don't know what it is, it can't be entirely genetic either because both my parents needed glasses their entire lives. Or maybe my eyes are evolved. Anyway no I don't think lowering the brightness is gonna do any good.
>>
>>51641622
I think we have the same fucking frame
>>
>>51641622
>>51641378
This.
I got my glasses in high school after two years of really heavy computer use. No one in my family is farsighted everyone else has perfect vision (until presbyopia).
>>
>>51641757
same
>>
>>51641662
Evidence suggests that dark indoor environments may actually cause myopia. Probably a good idea to keep the room well lit, adjust the monitor to look comfy in that lighting and rest your eyes looking outside once in a while.

Or even... go outside.
>>
>>51641807
I meant lowering brightness as in lowering the screens brightness
>>
File: frae.jpg (424 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
frae.jpg
424 KB, 1632x1224
>>51641757
>>51641775
It's an ok frame.
>>
>>51641242
Your eyes can't adjust to natural light easily, eye strain, you'll feel light-headed when going in and out of office.
>>
not sure if this is because of school (in my 4th year, things are getting tougher, stresdsing out more, not much sleep) but by the end of the day my vision goes so fucking blurry i have to squint
>>
>>51641977
Try exercising your eyes for a bit.

Go outside and focus on two things alternately, one that is near and one that is far.
>>
File: Screenshot (68).png (323 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (68).png
323 KB, 1920x1080
Are you the same guy???
>>
>>51641242
It's not any different than staring at a book all the time. You'll probably get myopia, but that's about it. Of course, this only matters when you're still developing.

>>51641807
That doesn't matter. You need to actually be outside and receive the sun's UV rays. Having lots of lights around won't do shit.
>>
Not so much about computer screens with moderate use.

I have heard that action gamers who play a lot apparently have very good vision the kind where they're very good at distinguishing small differences like greyscale differences and picking up detail on very small objects.

So if there's that kind of effect I don't think you'd have many vision problems just from using your computer. Of course eyestrain is a thing that should be avoided.

Personally I have that visual snow thing. And I'm certain it happened between the age of 9 and 14. So it's probably not related to extensive computer use but rather the way i used my eyes. I used to stay up at night and peer into the darkness because I could still see well and I found it challenging to pick out what things looked like in those low light conditions, like bugs and stuff. Could see mosquitos on the ceiling using only the light from the moon. That's gone now due to the visual snow thing. I can tell that aside from that I'm about the same because aside from detail I'm about as good at distinguishing things in low light.

It's pretty fucking annoying though. Nothing you see seems quite as real.
>>
If you didn’t notice she is on a plan!?

Maybe we should be more worried about the sky miasma!!
>>
>>51641977
Maybe your eyes are dry. You need to earn to keep them lubricated by blinking a lot more often.
>>
>>51642217
That looks like a bus.
>>
>>51641662
>>51641378
>>51641761
Modern screens do not have any effect on your vision. CRTs are terrible for your eyes though.
>>
>>51642228
Oh fuck!! The atmosphere miasma layer has lowered to the ground because the aerial bombardment from cellphones!!!

Everyone run! Run to your safe air tight shelter until the air poison floats back in to the ether!!
>>
>>51642284
What are CRTs?
>>
>>51641578
This.

Also I believe it causes nightmares, and/or sleep paralysis.
>>
>>51642381
Underage please stop baiting.
>>
>>51641622
This is why I use high refresh rates and DPI. And I don't sit in complete darkness.

30 years old and holding out so far...
>>
>>51641242
Sites like 4chan and reddit erode your attention span.

I used to be able to read books for pleasure, now it seems a chore.
>>
>>51642405
My parents were shortsighted long before the onset of computers though, albeit not as much as I am.
There are definitely some genetic predispositions.
>>
>>51642381
lol
>>
>>51641578
Pretty much this
Fuck the internet but I have nothing more to do with my life and it's a fucking addiction

I swear my life was better when Internet was just a hobby and not a necessity
>>
>>51642423
Yes
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.