[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: warm.png (520 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
warm.png
520 KB, 1680x1050
Hi /g/houls. I just installed Ubuntu yesterday. I'm pretty much in love. I chose this distro as a beginner tutorial ground, but i have eyes on Arch.

What are the essential things to know for a long time windows user? any crafty apps or anything regarding tweaking anything to privacy and security? Compatibility packages for gaming? Pro tips?
>>
Start using terminal. That when you'l fall in love with Unix.
>>
>>51640627
Yeah I am currently trying out commands and stuff. What apps would you recommend as a linux babby?

Pic related btw.
>>
>>51640585
>privacy and security
You installed one of the very few linux OSes that actually doesn't respect your privacy or security, so good luck.

One thing you should know right off the bat though is that it's next to impossible to get a virus on linux so don't even bother with an av.
>Compatiblity packages for gaming?
If it doesn't work in WINE, it won't work at all.
>Pro tips?
Install Arch.
>>
>>51640736
Is the privacy thing about the amazon search? Or more than that? I did uninstall it and turned off the basic settings.

Rephrase: What do i need to install and be familiar with to be able to use Arch? (Besides ricing)
But i need ricing apps too. lol
>>
>>51640585
Ubuntu is a bad way to prepare for Arch. Try Manjaro or Antegros. They are both beginner friendly like Ubuntu, but they are actually based on Arch. Also, pretty much all the so-called beginner distros will keep you from learning Linux. That's what they are designed to do though: hold your hands so you don't need to look under the hood, and get your hands dirty. On the other hand while starting out with something like Slackware or Arch will definitely be much more challenging, you do learn a lot in the process. Provided you stick with it, and don't give up in frustration first.

Personally I'd say stick with a beginner distro as your main, daily OS for now, but don't be afraid to try messing around with something more advanced in either a virtual machine, or through dual booting. I ended up dual booting various OSes alongside Mint. Eventually I tried OpenBSD (the BSDs are Unix, rather than Linux if you didn't know already), and ended up really liking it, and learning a lot from the experience. Today I use both OpenBSD and Arch, but I do prefer OpenBSD.
>>
>>51640950
>Manjaro
nice meme
>>
>>51640950
I see. Thanks for the detailed reply.
>>
Ubuntu has some great features like locally integrated menus and the HUD, plus learn to use the workspaces and the window on top, it helps a lot, and try out unfocused scrolling if you haven't used Windows 10.
For software there is a lot of places to get started:
http://www.webupd8.org/
And don't go for the Arch or Gentoo meme, if you want a just werks system stick with an LTS realease.
>>
I jumped right into Arch with 0 Linux experience. It took a while, but it's absolutely great.
>>
G-ghouls?...
>>
>>51640950
You can still "prepare for arch", whatever that means, on ubuntu or any distro. The main thing you'll be missing out on is the different package manager. Just start using the terminal for as much as possible until you feel comfortable using it regularly.
>>
>>51642843
Yea you sexy ghost you
>>
>>51642843
>>51642968
toot!
>>
>>51642895
My thoughts exactly. I guess what I am asking is how do I properly learn how things operate as opposed to windows. I understand that Ubuntu is an "all in one" distro, so learning as building it from the ground up( as ive read about arch). Is it just the apps and how they work different in distros? Or am I sounding retarded?
>>
>>51643492
>Is it just the apps and how they work different in distros?
basically, yeah. you just install what you want from the ground up. not as far as maintaining or hacking the source code. you can still do that if you want, though.

installing arch is like ordering a pizza. you choose the base, sauce, topping, etc and make pizza that suits your taste. not as far as creating your own dough for the base, mixing your own sauce, and so on. you can still do that if you want, though.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.