[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just wondering if an upgrade to an i5 4690k would actually be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: original.jpg (159 KB, 1074x1075) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
159 KB, 1074x1075
Just wondering if an upgrade to an i5 4690k would actually be a real "upgrade" for gaming. I'm using a [email protected] at the moment, Had it for a couple years and I've really not seen that much of a problem with it. I do dip below 60 fps here and there but really not to bad. Should i? Or no bueno.
>>
What GPU do you have?
>>
You don't need to upgrade a [email protected].

You need to upgrade your GPU.
>>
>>51638663
What GPU are you using?
>>
>220-250 dollars
>5-10 fps
DO IT
>>
>>51639577
You're not including the price of a new MOBO in your calculations, it'll be more than just the cost of the CPU itself.
>>
>>51638679
I have a sappire 280x @ 1150. It's ok.
>>
>>51639610
I would just need the cpu and mobo, I have everything else from my amd machine.
>>
i have a 4670k and am buying the wife a 4690k for a new build.

I was originally going to give her my parts, but decided that an upgrade would only provide negligible benefits.

I have an r9 290 as well and its good for now. may buy another.
>>
>>51640095
I keep hearing the performance from an i5 core is so much better, And i would overclock it to. wondering if i should just save and get the i7 for more future proofing or just stick with the FX-6350 for the time being.
>>
>>51640148
Depend. I upgraded from fx6300 to 4690k the only big improvement is from multiplayer. For singleplayer not so much. Still not worth it considering the price.
Just wait for zen.
>>
Going from Q6600+5850+3gb ram to 4690+380x+16gb ram.

What am I in store for?
>>
>>51641011
Good boost in performance
>>
File: speccy.jpg (44 KB, 455x385) Image search: [Google]
speccy.jpg
44 KB, 455x385
Should I wait for Pascal?
>>
>>51641044
Might as well if your components are that old, Just wait my friend.
>>
>>51641044
Wait at least january. And see if they announce anything usefull by then. Then decide. Upgrading this very month it's not worth it, prices of single part are gonna slowly rise until Christmas
>>
>>51638663
Is there anything "future-proofing" in a i5-6600k ? Or the i7 counterpart
>>
>>51641148
Future proofing is a meme buzzword.
>>
>>51641170
That's why i used the "" hoping not to trigger the Gentoo legion
>>
>>51641087
>>51641113
Thanks /g/
>>
>>51641170
Not exactly, If you're gaming you need them threads. Games now are Utilising more than 4 threads now so the i7 is getting to be very relevant and the 8350 as well. Tbh the 8350 is the most relevant and price because of cheap ok 8 threads it has. It is an alternative but the i7 with always come out ahead unless zen has something up it's sleeve.
>>
>>51641011

Get a 390
>>
>>51641249
I would say he really needs to upgrade the heart and soul of his rig which is a good cpu and mobo. Gpu's can always come later.
>>
>>51641249
I considered it but didn't feel like the difference would be worth the price.

Especially since I will be playing at 1080p.
>>
People being civil in a thread discussing AMD and Intel? What is this?
>>
>>51641246
this anon speaks truth

more and more games now can finally use more than 4 threads.

longest time it was stuck to 2 to 4 threads but now we are seeing 6 and even 10 thread usage.

for once its worth recommending and investing in a i7 now.

even amd 8350 users are getting a benefit since they're now matching i5 level performance when all 8 cores are used.
>>
>>51641374
I will always buy Intel™ because I only play games with Intel Inside™. Intel also pioneers innovative new technologies like Hyper Threading Technology™, Intel Rapid Start Technology™ and the highest quality chipsets to ever grace motherboards.
When I boot up with a brand new Intel™ i7™ with the latest Z chipset, I can enjoy the games the way they where meant to be with Intel Inside™. Intel™ also delivers a far more silkysmooth experience with its Hyper Threading Technology™.
Intel i5™ is also very power efficient. A processor is the most power hungry device in your house. Air conditioners, water heaters, lights, etc all use less power than a processor. Which is why Intel™ puts gamers first by ensuring that their gaming experience is of the highest quality while looking out for gamers by giving them the most value in their electrical bill.
At this point in time, there's really no reasons to consider an AMD processor at all. I tried once, it caused so much heat that it exploded and nearly burnt down my house. It also consumed so much power that it produced an EMP and destroyed not only the rest of my computer but my entire neighborhood.
Intel™ also pioneered how useless MORE CORES is with the i™ series processors. Years ago, everyone thought MORE CORES were the future. Now, Intel™ has debunked that myth entirely and increased efficiency. Now you can save thousands a year in electricity thanks to Intel™ with its powerful IPC. MORE CORES will never be part of Intel's™ line up.
It's quite clear that OPs an AMD shill trying to convince you to settle on something less than the optimal experience with Intel Inside™. Intel™ is the only real way to play games. We have seen recently that they offer incredible libraries for software developers like Intel C++ Compiler. He is probably too poor to afford the Intel Inside™ experience and can not afford to play any games.
Don't be a poor gamer with bad chipsets and a huge power bills. Play games with Intel Inside™
>>
File: amd.jpg (154 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
amd.jpg
154 KB, 960x960
>>51638663
I would stay, although why spend 219.99 on that quad core processor when you can get an AMD FX-8350 for about $169,

You will have to upgrade your MoBo to an AM3+ board, but that could still be cheaper than buying that i5-4960k
>>
>>51641526
The 6350 also uses the AM3+ socket
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.