[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get an internship at a tech firm?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: intern.jpg (33 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
intern.jpg
33 KB, 576x432
How do I get an internship at a tech firm?
>>
>>51638349
You write an application and make a good impression on the interview.
>>
>>51638349
Most of the good ones already finished hiring for the summer already. You're pretty much stuck with working at no-name startups.
>>
>>51638349
befriend someone from a tech firm
>>
>>51638402
I'm asking because I want to prepare for summer 2016.
>>
>>51638349
>working for the botnet and enemy against our natural freedom.
Yeah fuck off OP. Google can go to hell.
>>
>>51638510
Yes. That's what I'm talking about. Enjoy your no-name startup with low pay.
>>
>>51638614
Sorry, I meant to say summer 2017.
>>
Start sucking dicks mate...
>>
>>51638349
Give head to the ceo of some start up poo in loo and then wear a hijab and shit on your gay co-workers.
>>
Just bee yourself at the interview.
>>
>>51638349
are you gay, a woman, or basically some kind of minority?
>>
>>51639130
I'm an Asian male.
>>
>>51639165
DESIGNATED
>>
>>51639201
The good kind, not currynigger.
>>
>>51639130
I'm a body positive trans woman in a man's body, and you can't prove otherwise you cis scum. :+)
>>
>>51639209
what's wrong with being curry?
>>
Make a clock
>>
>>51639209
are you japanese?
>>
>>51639293
Korean
>>
>>51639273
You likely smell like shit and are one of the least desirable races to women.
>>
>>51639402
>the good kind
>Corean

kek'd
>>
>>51639418
don't insult koreans. he might not be from best korea, but he probably has hardcore skills at starcraft.
>>
>>51639416
nope, I'm white senpai.
>>
>>51638510
>I'm asking because I want to prepare for summer 2016.
I did a Co-Op during my undergrad in electrical engineering. I attended a run-of-the-mill ABET university (not really competitive). I signed up at my Career Center in the beginning of the Fall semester of my sophomore year. They helped me get my resume together...it was shit because my only work experience was at grocery stores. And I wasn't far enough along in my education to list any relevant projects.

I had several interview request from local companies. *None* from fortune 500 companies (TI, ADI, Qualcomm, Linear Tech). I ended up interviewing and working for a local controls company.

During my masters I got a hit from LSI Logic and worked there for a summer. I started looking early in the fall...and got a call back from a job fair I went to.

The purpose of an intership/Co-Op is to get real world experience. I wouldn't worry about getting in a large or well known company. Focus on doing well in school. Do interesting project (alone if possible). And start looking *early*.

Good luck.
>>
>>51639604

WTF? A real and honest answer in here?
>>
can anyone point me to resources dealing with how to make myself most appealing to companies hiring interns?
>>
>>51638349
First you need to get the interview. This means applying to positions for internships. For summer 2017 you'll want to check back start end of summer 2016. I have an interview for Amazon for this summer and I applied for this about 2 months ago. You are going to want to apply to a lot of places. Five or six applications won't do it. I applied to over 90 places for my first internship, got 3 interviews and only one offer. It gets easier with time and experience.

You'll also need a good resume, one that details your skills that are relevant to the company. Things you'll want to include are previous work experience, extracurricular projects (such as hackathons). Try to keep this one page long (I'm assuming you are North American, I have no idea how resumes are judged outside of North America).

If you have no side projects, then start working on them. There are tutorials for just about everything and anything. Polish them and then host a live demo and the code somewhere (I honestly don't imagine most recruiters actually looking through your code but just having a GitHub repo linked to your resume already puts you miles ahead of many applicants). The purpose of doing side projects is to pad out your resume when you have no relevant work experience and to develop skills and things to talk about during an interview.

I highly recommend reading Cracking the Coding interview and following the steps in the book.

Your first internship might be at some no name company but that doesn't matter. Use that time to learn as much as you can and you'll find that getting your next internship much easier.
>>
>>51638349
i can't believe there's an actual movie about getting a job at a company that actually exists
>>
>>51640295
If you are interested in a software development position then you should really practice doing coding challenges on websites like HackerRank. Quite a few companies will send out pre-interview screening tests through HackerRank or some other online coding platform where you get a asset amount of time to complete several questions (Amazon, Yelp, Square, Social+Capital are a few I can name from the top of my head).

If you make it past that you'll usually get 2 or more in person/phone/skype interviews. 90% of the time during the interview will be used to solve some programming problem (refer to websites like careercup and interviewcake) and the other 10% will be you talking about some of your experience with side projects or past work experience and for you to ask them about the job. They usually won't expect you to know any specific language nor any part of their stack but they will be looking for candidates with solid grasp of programming fundamentals. Be expected to answer questions about the time and space complexities of the code you write.

The best way to prepare for this is to solve programming problems and then talk about your solutions out loud and then read up on a "good" solution to the problem. You'll really want to be able to explain your answer out loud because that will be what you have to do during an interview. Find a friend and interview each other if you can, explaining your idea well to another person takes practice.
>>
>>51638349
Be some combination of visible minority and female.
>>
File: 1408320886622.jpg (29 KB, 399x382) Image search: [Google]
1408320886622.jpg
29 KB, 399x382
Senior Reliability Engineer here at a pretty big name tech company. I phone screen about at least 2 candidate each day and do 2-3 in person interview each week. Acting like cocky little shit with chip on your shoulder will get you disqualified FAST. Be humble, and show humility. Don't bullshit stuff you don't know, you will dig a very deep hole for yourself. Instead admit that you don't know and leverage off something "similar" that you've done. Also if your resume has "Objective" section and anything so rudimentary along the line of "MS Office or Excel" under skills, you're not even getting a phone screening. Other things that degrades your credibility is using buzzwords such as innovative, result oriented, thinking outside the box, go-getter etc. That shit is retarded.
>>
>>51638349
Are you non white?

Can you build clocks?
>>
>>51640899
>>51641176
I'm Korean.
>>
Why is this as hard as getting a job interview?

>tfw never got good internships
>>
>>51638575
>sent from my android phone
>>
>>51638402
>tfw employed at a no name startup
How to stop being a failure /g/?
>>
>>51642784
you're employed, which immediately puts you in the top 5% of 4chan users.
>>
Don't work at a tech firm. Work tech for a non-tech firm.

If you catch my drift.
>>
>>51642851
But anon you don't understand, i will never be able to work at a respectable company
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.