[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /g/ justify piracy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: cuffed.jpg (116 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
cuffed.jpg
116 KB, 950x534
How does /g/ justify piracy?
>>
I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>51637611
>>
I don't give a fuck.
>>
I don't give a fuck.
>>
I'm extremely tight with my money and the chances of something bad happening to me (jail time, criminal charges, fuckhueg fines, etc.) as a result of piracy are statistically irrelevant.

If I REALLY enjoy a video game or indie film / series then I'll actually buy it afterwards. I already pay too much money for cable TV and fuck giving Hollywood any more money for the shitty films they produce these days. I don't even listen to music anymore either.
>>
You cannot. Violence upon ships is very hard to justify.
>>
How do you justify copyright lasting 100 years after the author dies?
>>
>>51637715
>>
I don't give a fuck.
>>
How do you justify paying money for 1s, and 0s?
>>
Ubisoft ... And also AutoDesk a bit.
>>
I don't give a fuck
>>
I wouldn't have bought whatever I'm pirating in the first place
>>
>>51637763
How do you justify paying money for collections of atoms?
>>
Music: idgaf, mainstream music is healthy enough, plus i go to concenrts

Movies: idgaf, most movies i download are movie's I've owned/seen before and obscure foreign films that dont really care for copyright bs

Software: I exclusively use software that is free as in beer AND freedom. No video games other than chess/checkers.
>>
>>51637738
I never thought of it, but the fact that there's still copyright after author's death is a fucking nonsense.

I don't see why any people other than the author should get anything from a work.
>>
>>51637813
What about the author's wife/children?
>>
Because I live in a country that doesn't have the privilege of making a choice whether piracy is bad or not
>>
>>51637821
they didn't create it.
>>
>>51637821

What about them? This isn't a feudalistic society, let them get out and work for a living like everyone else.
>>
>>51637813
What about the studio which gave the content creator a safe and useful environment to create?
If they can't cash in on the people they support just because they die early unexpectedly, then why would they bother creating such an environment in the first place?
>>
>>51637572

How do you justify selling a product everywhere else around the world and then not selling it where you live until two years after it has been released everywhere else?

How do you justify more than double the prices in different countries?

How do you justify actually not being able to buy the product because you won't sell it outside the USA?

How do you justify selling the product in only one format and not allow you to change that product so that it works in all your devices?

How do you justify having to buy the same product more than once for it to work in any and all devices you own?
>>
>>51637860
Copyright should only last a maximum of 10 years anyway, why should a company profit from the work of a man who died half a century ago or more?
>>
>>51637782
I can't use my computer to make copies of existing structures made of atoms, unlike things made of 1s and 0s. How is this not obvious?
>>
>>51637860
Dual condition.
20 years or death of the author, whatever happens first.
>>
>>51637857
fuck that if my dad is rich i would expect the money to obviously go to me.
>>
>>51637901
Laws should all have sunsets too. either last until it's repealed or expire after x-years.
>>
>>51637922
>me generation
wew
>>
I want stuff and can get it for free with very little chance of getting caught and what amounts to a slap on the wrist even if I do.
>>
>>51637948
has to go somewhere. why should it go to anyone else
>>
>>51637821
>>51637857
So anyone else gets to keep their business as a patrimony for their family but people making creative work? Or do you think a farmer's land and crops should go to the state or any company that swipes it because the family doesn't own what the father did?

>>51637889
>>51637901
With what you're asking, movie studios and other big businesses could profit 100% of someone's music while the person is still alive. You're thinking way too small for people so opinionated

You guys have to see how this is a fucking retarded argument. Do you really want to give Coca Cola and other behemoths even more power over artists?
>>
>>51637857
it's a capitalistic society actually so
>>
>>51637998
It's his money. He gets to decide where it goes
>>
>>51637572
Duuuuuude
FREE SHIT!
>>
>>51638028
you said
>I don't see why any people other than the author should get anything from a work.
>>
>>51637572
>$$$$$
>ftfy
>hay look torrents
>>
>>51638009

You're trying hard to justify something unjustifiable. When someone who happens to be rich dies, there is a extreme burdon of taxes imposed on their estate for the very same reason of why copyright has a expiration date imposed on them.

Why are "creative" works different than anything else? Why do "creative" works are justified protectionist measures that the production of products do not enjoy? Fuck off and try doing some real work for once.
>>
>>51638009
apples to oranges. Farmer didn't invent or create the land. He invested in land and it's up to him weather he passes it on to his family. It's like going to a store and buying a watch that someone else invented then passing it on after you die.
>>
>buy a blu-ray
>put it in my legally purchased BD drive
>doesn't work, DRM
>put BD in expensive BD player
>looks like it was encoded with handbrake

Vs
>download a P2P internal
>click play
>video looks as good if not better than the source

It's like they want me to pirate
>>
>>51637572
The assets of the capitalist money class must be redistributed to the proletariat! Or something like that.
>>
>>51638009

>With what you're asking, movie studios and other big businesses could profit 100% of someone's music while the person is still alive. You're thinking way too small for people so opinionated

They already do that fuckwad that is how it always has been, so called content creators have never had any power over their music, because their music never belongs to them, it belongs to the recording studio/movie studio who issues it. Unless you go independent your music doesn't belong to you and you will never see a penny because your shit won't sell because as a independent you can't get your shit to market.

On the other hand if you go with a recording studio, you will also not see a penny of it because you no longer own that product, the studio does.

So fuck off with arguments that do not work in the real world.
>>
File: lain.gif (126 KB, 429x650) Image search: [Google]
lain.gif
126 KB, 429x650
I don't. Piracy is unauthorized activity that violates criminal laws.

However there are two problems with piracy.

For one thing, punishments are way too severe. Somebody caught downloading illegally obtained copyrighted material should be given a stern warning at best and explained how piracy could be hurting the income of movie/music companies. They should NOT be thrown in jail or fined at all since they never assaulted a store to get a hold of the media. If people are punished excessively for piracy (like they do now) which causes no real world harm then people are going to get very butthurt. This butthurt will make them pirate material more, further making the problem of piracy worse.

This brings me to the second problem: you can't fucking stop piracy. It's literally something impossible to completely stop no matter what method you implement to attempt to eliminate it. People will always find a way to bypass security measures. If it can be heard or viewed: it can be pirated except for extremely locked down software but even software eventually get their DRM raped in the ass without lube. People will encrypt torrents with OTP encryption if they fucking have to. P2P networks are impossible to stop since they can run on any port they fucking feel like and encrypting the traffic makes packet inspection completely fucking useless. Additionally forcing people to have data caps (looking at you cumcast) will only cause a minor annoyance to pirates since HEVC and Opus exist.

tl;dr Piracy is "bad" but punishments for pirating digital content are really gay right now and you literally cannot stop piracy. Piracy is a monster that must be respected lest it devour your companies whole and drive them to bankruptcy.
>>
>>51638116
>there is a extreme burdon of taxes imposed on their estate
People whose parents made money off music and films aren't exempt from those taxes. Your proposal is for them to have all the bad things about their parents owning a business and none of the good ones.

>>51638125
>He invested in land and it's up to him weather he passes it on to his family.
So someone who did invent something has less rights than someone who just bought something. And you're fine with that, while also being fine with not rewarding them financially while they are alive.

Great morals there, champ.
>>
>>51638061
That was another anon. But either way, the author got the money. At that point he gets to decide what he wants to do with it and is free to give it away if he wants to
>>
>>51637572
Nothing we do matters in the end. I want to be entertained in life and learn new things to without giving up my prices of paper I've worked hard for. Besides there's suckers out there that will make up for my lack of paying by overpaying for this usually content. Piracy is unavoidible because payment circumvention is inevitable. Deal with it moral fags. Hack the planet knowlage should be free (for those smart enough to receive it). There is no sp00n.
>>
>>51638172
>because their music never belongs to them, it belongs to the recording studio/movie studio who issues it
Are you being obtuse on purpose? Did you seriously never hear about royalty checks and mechanical licenses? Non-independent musicians might be tied with labels, but they do in fact own their music to an extent. I know this from personal experience,
>>
>>51638209
I'd mostly agree with this. Got a few nice points in there.
>>
I don't give a fuck
>>
>>51638209
>They should NOT be thrown in jail
Definitely.

>or fined at all since they never assaulted a store to get a hold of the media
Bullshit, they should at least be fined the amount the software was worth at the time, plus a little something for taking up the authorities' time, and only to discourage people from feeling it's moral to just pirate until they get caught.
>>
>>51638247
>Are you being obtuse on purpose? Did you seriously never hear about royalty checks and mechanical licenses? Non-independent musicians might be tied with labels, but they do in fact own their music to an extent. I know this from personal experience,

They don't own their own music, proof of that is that they cant take their music recordings and issue it themselves.

No one gives a fuck dude, stop trying to live off of daddy who made a couple of albums, it isn't and never will be owned by the offspring, get a job.
>>
>>51638209
>This brings me to the second problem: you can't fucking stop piracy.
pretty much this. Just abandon hope of stopping piracy while you still can. It may be something entertainment companies might not like but you can't eliminate it. The only way to at least reduce it is provide low cost options to customers like streaming and stop raping legitimate customers with DRM (looking at you ubisoft).
>>
I don't pirate stuff, but rather pay it's rightful price for entertainment, while supporting the artists I enjoy, such as Florence and the Machine and Panic! at the Disco.
>>
>>51638375
Did your daddy leave you when you were young?
>>
>>51638354
>Bullshit, they should at least be fined the amount the software was worth at the time, plus a little something for taking up the authorities' time, and only to discourage people from feeling it's moral to just pirate until they get caught.

You don't have the moral high ground here, people shouldn't be fined for it because it doesn't cause any actual real harm, the people who pirate wouldn't buy the product to start with that is why they're pirating it, you didn't lose a sale you wouldn't have had to start with.
>>
>>51637821
Fuck the children.
>>
>>51638210
>So someone who did invent something has less rights than someone who just bought something

Really depends on what exactly is invented desu.
>>
>>51638354
This is going to piss people off (like it already does) encouraging even more piracy. People are vengeful creatures and many will upload even more torrents as a big fuck you for the $1,000+ fines they received. Companies are learning this the hard way.
>>
>>51638423
>the people who pirate wouldn't buy the product to start with that is why they're pirating it
Maybe they shouldn't use it then? There's no rationalization for letting someone use a product for free just because they say they didn't want it.
>>
I'm more bothered by the misuse of the word piracy

would be acceptable to start calling people who litters rapists?
>>
>>51638477
>Really depends on what exactly is invented
That's silly because regardless of what is invented, someone worked on it and it's their work/legacy. It shouldn't matter if you invented penicillin or toilet paper that doubles as a toy, if people want to use your shit your rights should be defended.
>>
>>51637572

Dunno about anyone else here, but I'm just cheap as fuck and nothing tastes as good as when it's free.
>>
>>51637572
Id say at least 50% of the time that the makers of digital content screw over honest customers to the point that there is no choice but to pirate. The music industry uses price gouging to make honest people pay for their losses from piracy. Movie industry sticks ads on films people buy whereas pirated movies are ad free. Software companies like MS constant force 'upgrades' to new operating systems people dont like. Software applications get put on the cloud so that people cant own their own copy and can only use a product online. People who sell digital content literally dont give fuck, they dont care how they screw the honest customer, and then they treat customers like criminals when they themselves are criminals for fleecing honest customers.
>>
>>51638423
HOLY SHIT THIS. Thank you anon I couldn't have said it better myself.
>>
>>51638496
>literally so retarded he doesn't understand utility v.s. cost
>>
>>51637821

What about them? Should my kids get my salary forever after I die? They'd get the pension and of course the inheritance, which would also apply for someone who created intellectual property.
>>
>be me
>walk into car dealership
>take car for a test drive
>forget to return it
>get arrested
>cops don't respect muh freedoms when I say I wasn't going to buy it anyway
>>
>>51638601
>Should my kids get my salary forever after I die?
It depends, is your work, and specifically your work and your work alone, still being a product that earns money?
>>
>>51638423

>the people who pirate wouldn't buy the product to start with that is why they're pirating it

Yes they would. Maybe not as much consumption but some. I haven't paid for music since 1998, you think I would just have listen to literally no music at all for 18 years if I had to pay for it? I'm not that poor, neither are most people in the west.
>>
>>51638619
Physical items cannot be copied infinitely for free
Digital items can
>>
>>51638619
>car removed from the owner's possession
0/10 analogy
>>
>>51638652
>Yes they would.
Fuck off, MAFIAA. They wouldn't. Deal with it.
>>
>>51638547
>it's their work/legacy
debatable, more people probably know who the last copyright holder of "happy birthday to you" was then who actually created it.
>>
>>51638619
This isn't the same as piracy. Piracy would be like if someone paid for a car, made a copy of it and gave the car to you for free. Absolutely no harm was ever done to the company (no original property stolen).
>>
>>51638619
>be me
>touch the car
>walk out of the dealership
>put hand in the air and make a copy of the car
>seller comes out screaming that i should pay for touching the car
>i drive away laughing
>seller keeps screaming that I'm a murderer
>>
>>51638689
>Absolutely no harm was ever done to the company (no original property stolen).
Except for the fact their whole business system is based on charging users for their labor?
>>
>>51638642

Why does it have to be my work alone? If I work on an assembly line making constrution equipment, and my work amounts to 1/200th of every unit, that's a hell of a lot of money being made from the fruits of my labor for years to come. And no, the fact that anyone -could- have done it doesn't alter the fact that I'm the one who actually did the work.

Why should it only count if it's an original creation or intellectual property?
>>
I buy the game if I like it.
>>
Stop using corporate shill buzzwords.

It's just coping. Literally the same thing as lending a game to your friend.

Movie companies get most of their income from cinemas, game companies do from pre-purchases and microtransaction shit, musicicians do from concerts.

Fuck off RIAA/MPAA shill.
>>
>>51638683

>he thinks millions of people would consume literally no software or entertainment that they clearly want if they had to pay for it

ok kid
>>
The ease of doing it is all the justification one needs. Literally, if you had to complete a flash jigsaw puzzle before access, I can guarantee piracy would be down by a 1/3.
>>
>>51638714
>Why should it only count if it's an original creation or intellectual property?
Maybe it shouldn't. Maybe people should push for participation in profits in big companies for their accomplishments, and lobby against the companies that force employees to surrender their patents/creations to them if they're conceived during their years working there.

And maybe the first step is not fucking over creative types for wanting what everyone should have?
>>
When i pirate i know its morally wrong. Stupid thinking its not wrong. If it costs money it has value regardless if its physical or not. A can of coke probably costs 1p to make are you saying that's worth more
>>
>>51638709
People will always pay real money. Piracy is lot a threat to profits.
>>
File: file.png (248 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
file.png
248 KB, 500x333
I don't.
I just do it
>>
>>51638709
this business model only work if your product is essential or extremely relevant.

kickstarter and patreon already proved that people can pay for thing if it is somewhat worth
>>
>>51638744
>The ease of doing it is all the justification one needs.
What motivates these threads is how people can't accept this is the only reason why they pirate. There's no big moral reason why, it's just easy and everything else is just rationalizing doing something wrong.

I'd rather people just say "I just want to", it's shitty but honest.
>>
File: Cr91k7r.jpg (187 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
Cr91k7r.jpg
187 KB, 640x1136
>>51638783
Are you me? Came here to post exactly this, same format and everything.

You righteous twats. You're stealing in some way or another if there is a legal way to buy it. Get over it.
>>
>>51638709
Nobody gives a shit and neither should the government. Piracy is not theft of original property and should therefore not be treated as a crime. The only reason we have 10-20 years in prison punishments for piracy is because our politics are paid by companies to push gay laws that don't benefit the common man.
>>
>>51638757

Sure, but having "royalties" on everything is not feasible. I do agree that profits should be more equally distributed to the people who actually create them (the concept of compensation for real value is pretty much the only tenet of Marxism that isn't retarded) though. As in my example, if you create 1/200th of the value of a thing, you should get paid 1/200th of the value of that thing rather than being paid 1% of that while some cunt take's most of it forever because he "deserves it because he 'took a huge risk' by investing daddies money".
>>
>>51638828
>Piracy is not theft of original property
Granted.

>and should therefore not be treated as a crime.
Theft isn't the only crime possible, and it's intellectually dishonest to assume coming into possession of a commercial product through unethical ways isn't a crime.

I don't agree with prison time for piracy either, but let's not fool ourselves here. It's wrong.
>>
>>51638736
>he doesn't understand the value of money
stay in your mum's basement, the outside world would shock you to death.
>>
>>51637572
I dont fucking care and its the only practical way to watch what I want.
>>
>>51638899
this
>>
>>51638786
>kickstarter and patreon already proved that people can pay for thing if it is somewhat worth
They only prove people are willing to give money to people without quality control or responsibilities and then cry when they don't hold up to the standards those people promised them. Crowdfunding is like buying stocks on something that isn't even an established company, just a couple guys in a bedroom.
>>
>It's not stealing, it's just copying

I don't believe every pirated copy is a sale lost, but the above argument is literally just semantic gymnastics

Step it up
>>
>>51637572
I dont give a fuck
>>
>>51638985
yep it still has value as people pay money for it that's all that matters. A chocolate bar is copying a recipe millions of times but stealing that is not right but stealing a £30 game is apparently perfectly fine
>>
File: Do_this.jpg (44 KB, 496x514) Image search: [Google]
Do_this.jpg
44 KB, 496x514
>>51637800
>Software: I exclusively use software that is free as in beer AND freedom. No video games other than chess/checkers.
>being this autistic
>>
Life aint fair
>>
>>51639030
You mistook /g/ with /v/
>>
I don't because it's bad.
Thats why I have 250~ games on stream and I paid for all of them.
Now that you can get a refund no questions asked you don't have an excuse.
But I do have some music I pirated. But probably nearly none of the artists would object so I don't really feel bad.
>>
>>51637572
Why would I need to justify it?
There are no victims and no repercussions.
>>
>>51639030

back to /v/ faggot
>>
>>51639066
>>51639092
Just fucking pirate your games
>>
How do you justify making this same shitty thread on every board? Fuck off
>>
>>51639138
I don't feel the need to play, senpai.
>>
>>51637813
When you die you pass on your possessions to whoever you choose - why would that be different here?
>>
>>51639171
cuz it belongs too da peopl i tshould go to charity. real men disown their family at age of 12 and work in the mines
>>
File: Dead Caesar.jpg (2 MB, 1798x1057) Image search: [Google]
Dead Caesar.jpg
2 MB, 1798x1057
>>51639224
Actually copyright law goes back centuries and what is happening now is nothing new except for the medium - the internets - which is quite remarkable in its ability to reproduce and distribute copyrighted material for only the cost of the electricity and hardware to shuffle the electrons around.

What is happening in the grand scheme of things is a compromise between the Anglo Saxon (American) world which typically has lax copyright law and the Europoor world which in some places copyrights extend for 70 or so years to family after an authors death sort of thing.

However, they will need to expend at least 10 times the energy going into these laws to enforce them. In many ways it is a remarkable time to be alive, never before has mankind been so unencumbered in a quest for copyrighted material. Of course in some realms the lockdown is extreme, for example government funded science journals being resold at obscene prices to a sucker student body impeding science and knowledge to the extreme. I think they even made a movie about that part of it all.
>>
>using money to buy DRM laden product
>when I can get a DRM-less version for free
nah
>>
>>51637738
doesn't it last 20 years?
>>
>>51639648
Corporate copyright lasts literally forever because every time Mickey is about to become public domain, Disney lobbies the shit out of Congress to extend copyright length.
>>
>>51639479

if you dont like the DRM then dont buy it or pirate it
>>
>>51639330

how come microsoft is giving away windows 10 for free but remains a multibilllionaire dollars for bill gates and he owns his own country and small tropical island and army o' african children. but other companies give away stuff for free and they are poorer than githubscrub squalor on pledge line of impoverishment.
>>
>>51639681
I do pirate it.
>>
>>51639679
why the fuck do you need mickey though?
>>
>>51639693
Because most computers come with Windows pre-installed and they get a cut for each one.
Additionally, the release paid updates for all of their non-OS software (Visual Studio, Office, etc.) every 2 years.
>>
>>51639738
Why the fuck do you "need" any copyright to become public domain, fuckbag?
>>
Because I wouldn't pay for any of the shit I download anyway. If I couldn't get it for free then I just wouldn't have it.
>>
Because E-Marxism is the future.
>>
>>51637821
I suppose you believe that if a man dies while doing a job, his wife/children should receive 100% of his salary for the rest of their, their childrens', and their grandchildrens' lives too right?

No fuck right off.

There is no law mandating that a family member gets even GOVERNMENT PENSIONS, which are only awarded after RETIREMENT, after the death of the person who earned it. Why should family members be able to cash in on a copyright but not a pension?

Copyright should have the exact same limits as patents, and patents should be shortened to 10 years and be non-renewable. Trademarks should also be limited to 10 years, and must show proof of solvency to be renewed.
>>
No justification, whatsoever. Nobody on /g is a pirate. I'm confident not a single gentooman here has attacked a ship at sea, stolen its cargo, raped and or murdered the crew, then scuttled the ship to hide the evidence.

Not. A. Single. One.
>>
>>51637860
>implying studios do literally anything more than stamp their name on works created nowhere actually near the studio nor with studio resources

Doubly true for authors, somewhat less true for rap artists.
>>
>>51639830
I kinda want to do this. Think Somali pirates would let me join a crew?
>>
>>51639693
They make most their money off enterprise users. They get the best of both worlds with 10's free upgrade.
Most of whats it 10 was originally going to be windows 8.2, they get people off 7 that weren't going to buy 8.* no matter what they did, and they still make money off enterprises updating.
>>
>>51639873
No, they would just hold you for ransom.
>>
>>51637572

you still didn't reply to this >>51637883
>>
>>51637572
Piracy?
I just share things I like with my Internet friends.
>>
>>51639873
How's us your CV? I see you don't have any professional experience as a rapist
>>
I think morals are stupid and arbitrary. Everyone is gonna call me edgy and I'm not saying you should go out and steal and shit. But if you can get free shit without any repercussions, why should you have to try and justify it? Who cares if it's wrong or right? You're just denying yourself gratification.

>>51639827
That would only be an apt comparison if the place the guy worked at continued using his corpse for decades to make money without giving a dime to his family.
>>
>>51637728
this

>most movies aren't worth the time and money for theater/waiting for dvd's
>I got invited to what by a friend so I don't pay for music
If I wasn't on what I'd still torrent music, but what just has better quality
>>
>>51637572
I don't think its wrong as long if the content isn't officially available to me. Happens more often with music and old anime.

I think my mind fails to see something as a crime if there are no victims.
>>
>>51638127
This.

> people are pirating stuff
> decide to turn stuff into shit to make people not want to pirate it
> pirates make it un-shit
> people flock to piracy
> make things unusable shit
> pirates make it usable non-shit
> start robbing and occasionally literally murdering anyone who pirates anything
> wonder why people keep pirating
>>
>>51637572
I don't
>>
>>51637572
The movie industry is a fucking disaster. Trailers basically lie about what your about to see. Then you pay out the ass and if it sucks there's no chance of a refund. I pirate movies if its good I actually buy it. Same with Music and games.
>>
install gentoo
>>
dude free shit
>>
>>51637572

This.

>>51640370

I can get nearly any media I want and the companies getting hurt by possible lost sales are almost powerless to stop me.
>>
>>51640432
because reviews and ratings don't exist.
>>
>>51638619
>be me
>take car for a test drive
>forget to return it
>dealer doesn't notice as the car is simultaneously in my garage and at the dealer
>charge me thousands of times the price of the car when they find out
>dealer uses the force of government to enforce the ridiculous fine
>>
>>51640581
Reviews and ratings are fucking jokes; the companies pay off all of the review sites and the rating system is entirely rigged to fuck over independent filmmakers.

The whole system is corrupt and evil; if there were a way for me to actually give money to the people who made the art, I'd gladly pay. But I will not be party to this fucking gong show.
>>
>>51639830
Well,
I've attacked a ship at sea. Didn't really get a chance to plunder it or its crew though, as it fucking sunk on the first shot.

I've also attacked people, vehicles, and buildings that are on land, from the sea.
>>
>>51637889
Copyright should be

>25 years automatically guaranteed to every creative work
>can be renewed every 25 years, twice, if the creator/copyright holder wants to for a total of 75 years
>original creator always receives any royalties they would normally receive, no matter who owns the work or who renewed it
>If creator dies before expiration, their family receives the royalties
>if creator dies and also owns the work, then ownership goes to family, who can decide to renew or not.
>if copyright is not renewed but then becomes popular later, the creator/owner can re-claim it and take it out of public domain, but the 75 year hard cap always remains in place.

This way, stuff can be protected for a reasonably long time while allowing the mountain of shit that nobody cares about to (relatively) quickly enter public domain.
>>
>>51640910
>what is rotten tomatoes
>>
>>51641690
0/10
Kill yourself and your race, cancer on this earth.
>>
>>51641695
the user reviewers are a bunch of persnickety little cunts there.
>>
>>51641680
Wait, am I on >>>/k ?
>>
Fallout 4 was not worth 100 New Zealand dollaridoos

The sheer amount of bugs and half baked features and game play make it so

Why do game manufacturers have to lie to their customers and rely on hype and then totally ignore the glaring faults they have once it's released?

Game makers are the original reality distortion field experts, not Apple.
>>
File: Zi6F6BC.jpg (25 KB, 322x322) Image search: [Google]
Zi6F6BC.jpg
25 KB, 322x322
How do you justify caving into unjust corporate monopoly over information?
>>
File: crying-waterfalls.gif (280 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
crying-waterfalls.gif
280 KB, 450x338
>isp (charter) throttled torrent speeds
>10 KiB/s download
>mfw
>>
>>51642019
No, just a bit of overflow from /k/
>>
>>51637572

>implying we feel we need to justify it.

kek, also I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>51638354

lol, keep posting, i'm enjoying this.
>>
I don't give a fuck.
>>
File: nitek2.png (186 KB, 424x362) Image search: [Google]
nitek2.png
186 KB, 424x362
>>51642213
>>
File: 129670751475.png (149 KB, 300x291) Image search: [Google]
129670751475.png
149 KB, 300x291
>Patents
>Things that most of the time have immeasurably more actual work put into them, and much more intrinsic value
>expire in fourteen to twenty years

>Copyright
>Something that applies to something anyone can shit out and general cultural works
>70 years + life of "author" adding another 50-100 years on there for a grand total of an average of 150 years
>>
>>51642638
You can't infinitely reboot a physical thing; there's no need for corporations to try to extend it.

If I invented a new kind of car, other companies would make knockoffs but I'd have the original and sometimes best. But guess what, I'm not going to be able to slap a new coat of paint on that car and try to resell it 20 years later.

A copyright I can milk for all its worth for an eternity, like Disney does with Mickey Mouse.

It's a disgusting, exploitative system that strives to kill originality and free culture, and it shows what the companies' priorities are.
>>
Depends. If the pirates are not making money, then it's basically sharing. If not, then that's theft.
>>
>>51642856
Patents are horrible too, they completely prevent any scientific progress in specific fields that big companies have strangelhold on. 1 year is an eternity in science, let alone 20. By the time the patent expires, it's useless.
>>
>>51642911
Pray tell what noncommercial scientific fields are held back by patents?
>>
I don't give a fuck.
>>
I can't get chinese cartoons in america anyways, at least any that support the original creators because Crunchy just takes the cash for themselves.

These new programs are on subscription cancer, and in general you see subscription shit where you can't actually download something and watch it with a good bitrate/etc.
>>
>>51637572
Easy, the cost of living here is so fucking ridiculous that I couldn't buy it anyway.
>>
File: thistbhfam.gif (161 KB, 921x155) Image search: [Google]
thistbhfam.gif
161 KB, 921x155
>>51637611
>>51637715
>>51637726
>>51637750
>>51637771
>>51638276
>>51639011
>>51643145
>>
I don't really care desu.

If I find something I really like I'd buy it.

But if it's readily accessible online, why pour hard earned money into something you want - but just not wanting it enough to buy it.

Save monies for the things you really want.
>>
Knowing fully well, that in the future, my product well still work. While those that paid will have to "buy" another license to view their movie or song or game
>>
File: tips.png (331 KB, 474x432) Image search: [Google]
tips.png
331 KB, 474x432
>I pirate content
>>
>>51638209
>piracy is a criminal act
>uses an avatar, and consistently avatarfags, with an image he did not create
>>
>>51644191
well at least his name is apt
>>
>>51637572
Illegal to profit from when running a large-scale business.
>>
>>51640432
are you degenerate, what do you want movie theaters to start offering refunds if you didn't enjoy the movie? yeah then why would anyone not just claim a refund

you're so retarded it's physically painful.
>>
>>51644191
How are you able to stalk him? I thought archive.moe was down?
>>
I don't give a fuck.
Copyright rules are retarded.
Try before you buy is a consumer right.
>>
File: piracy-vs-theft.jpg (186 KB, 825x820) Image search: [Google]
piracy-vs-theft.jpg
186 KB, 825x820
>>51637572
I'm curious anon if i had a 3d printer that could print ANYTHING !!! Would Intel sue me if I printed i7 processors and used them for my personal use ??
>>
>>51644770
>if i had a 3d printer that could print ANYTHING !!! Would Intel sue me if I printed i7 processors and used them for my personal use ??
If you had a 3D printer that could print <20nm transistors perfectly I think you might become one of the richest men on earth.
>>
>>51637572
Someone else has cool shit on a nice boat, but I have guns on mine. Clearly, their boat should be my boat, because might makes right.
>>
>>51644882
Thats some twisted logic you there anon
Why don't you just copy that boat?
I will sell you a printer for a cheap price !!
>>
>>51637572
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPEeaxI0OPU

Reminder of what will happen if you get caught
>>
>>51637572
I don't give a fuck
>>
>>51644770
>Printing processors without removing the backdoors in them
Oh shit niqqa what are you doing?
>>
>>51645175
But there aint no FOSS cpus on the market
>>
>>51645197
Then print one with your magic printer ya dingus.
>>
>>51637572
property is theft
>>
>>51645222
too lazy
build it for me anon
Send the specs when your finished
Don't worry im a modern Steve Jobs so i will take all the credit for your hard work
>>
>>51637736

Hey now. Privateering is legit as fuck. You just can't justify indiscriminate violence against ships.
>>
How do you justify spending money to hunt down people for pirating? Does McDonalds hunt people down for making their own burgers at home? No?

People hunt down pirates because they have too much money and get a kick out of ruining someones life. Because that's what you do when you've snorted all the coke and fucked all the teenagers you can, you dabble in the world of killing people indirectly.
>>
>>51645464
It's more like if you stole the secret krabby patty formula and then made their burgers at home
>>
>>51645533
Why the fuck would i want to reproduce a shitty mcdonald burger when mine is so much fucking better?
>>
>>51645567
Why would you want to pirate a movie when one that you make yourself is so much better?
>>
>>51645575
same anon
Cause FX & CGI effects are so fucking expensive and/or takes alot of time to make. Tell you what you slice the price/time by a factor of 10 and Disney and WB will shit their pants.
Also Amazon and Netflix are killing it on their low budget series
>>
>>51637948
>>me generation
>implying that's not every generation since the end of WW2
>>
File: fantastic-four-poster-2015.jpg (110 KB, 599x889) Image search: [Google]
fantastic-four-poster-2015.jpg
110 KB, 599x889
>>51645575
Dont you watch cat videos ?
They are blockbuster compared to this shitty movie
>>
>>51645464
McDonalds might sue you if you stole all their recipes and then gave out "their" copyrighted burgers for free.
>>
>>51645625
>wanting mcdonald burgers for free
I WOULD RATHER BUY A 1000$ CYANIDE PILL
>>
>>51637572
I use pirated software only as trials (when none are available) or when I really need it but I don’t have yet the money (doesn’t exceed two or three softs on my computer). I eventually legalize the software I couldn’t immediately pay or get rid of it if I didn’t like the software I was using as a trial.
>>
>>51637572
Justifying something is for people who did something wrong.
>>
>>51641690
Congratulations, you've completely misunderstood the entire point of copyright and why it was created.

Copyright law was literally made to allow the creators of intangible works a SMALL window of time wherein they can profit from their work, to allow them the resources to continue living and encourage them to create more, before the work goes into the public domain where it can BENEFIT EVERYONE.
The original copyright term was 14 years PERIOD.

It's been inflated to a ridiculous degree. Pirates are literally keeping the world in balance.
>>
I used to pirate everything (music, movies, games) because 1. i was 16, didn't have much spending money for all of it, and didn't mind some of the inconveniences

now i work, have money, and buy pretty much everything – i even have an adobe cc subscription for PS/LR/Typekit because it just werks. Likewise with Netflix and Apple Music. I can pay for it and it's worth it because the service has gotten better (on demand) and i dont have the time to dick around with pirating.

but, i still do occasionally pirate something when (1) the terms for getting the product are unreasonable ex. its not available in my country, its 3x the price in my country, i cant demo it, ill only use it once (see cant demo it).

generally its getting better, companies are getting the hint and switching to on demand/utility models so thats good.
>>
Why should I? It's not illegal here in my country.
>>
>>51645790
hows the adobe subscription thing work? you pay a yearly/monthly fee and can always use the most updated versions of all their software? Any exclusive advantages to paying vs piracy?
>>
>>51645891
For $10 month you get Photoshop/Lightroom, free updates, and you can even download all the old versions if you want. Plus you get access to the mobile apps and sync so that's nice too.
>>
File: 172346871234.png (89 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
172346871234.png
89 KB, 200x200
>if I'm downloading music, movies and software I'm harming creators
>if I'm downloading cp I'm supporting creators
Will you faggots make up your damn mind already?
>>
Securom
>>
>>51637572
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Pirate
>>
>>51637883
I don't give a fuck. :^)
>>
I only pay what I enjoy, movies are shit these days only a good movie every 2-3 months, games are the same but most of them is online where you must to pay to play it and still shit as movies only good games in 2-3 months time or even more. I only pay for music if I go to concert and stuff.
>>
File: 1448930956004.jpg (65 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1448930956004.jpg
65 KB, 960x540
>>51645931
TOP KEC
>>
>>51637860
>What about the studio which gave the content creator a safe and useful environment to create?
A studio provides a service just like a restaurant provides a service. You use it, you pay for your use, and you leave.
That it the ideal.

As far as how studios actually work, they put up a contract where they force artists out of 60-80% of their money, with idiotic contracts, and even leech on their work after death?
That's not a safe environment, and there is a giant uprising of artists everywhere now.
Studios aren't family, they are an obsolete form of business in 2015.
Fuck off Hollyshit/EA/MTV/3rd party cancer.
>>
>>51637782
>buying shit made only of matter

Stay pleb, you goofy dick-freckle you
>>
>>51645854
Are you unable to think for yourself? Do you not have a conscience of your own? Do you think what the state tells you is okay and not okay is infallible?
>>
>law is changed so copyright expires on death
>big company orders a hit on you, they have the money to
>a junkie just stabs you out of nowhere when you're out for groceries
>you could survive with medical care but the paramedicals and doctors are in on it too
>your content is instantly available for monetization

great thinking guys
>>
>>51637572
I don't like capitalism.
>>
File: 1402459114291.jpg (113 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1402459114291.jpg
113 KB, 500x667
free toilet paper
>>
>>51639679
Lol, heard RMS? Pleb
>>
>>51646633
So where are all the people rushing to monetize all those works of art that came into being before modern copyright?

Oh right there are none.
>>
>>51646633
Alright then make the content not available for monetary gain but recreational
>>
The number of fucks that I give is basically 0.
>>
>>51642911
3D printing is a good example of how patents can hold back tech. 3D printing is a 30 year old tech, Imagine how advanced it could of been by now if it wasn't for the patents keeping it a secret.
>>
>>51646796
Fairy tales get monetized all the time, and so do old popular novels that fall into public domain.

You're seriously delusional if you think people would miss out on a chance to profit from popular characters and series if all it took was a "robbery gone wrong" for them to do so.
>>
>>51637572
Most of the stuff I download are obscure out of print albums. Good luck getting me to "repay the artist for his work" when I can't even buy that shit.
>>
>>51646806
Not good enough, there is more than one way to earn money out of something. Ads, product placement, even donations could remain an incentive. Just giving the content for free doesn't mean companies cannot profit off killing off people with ideas if that's the only thing preventing them from using their content as soon as they die.
>>
Let's say a piece of software costs $100.
Pirating said software subtracts the entire cost value from said product.
Let's do the math:
>$100 - $100 = $0
You are then left with a cost of $0 for said product, thereby making it free. A far better deal, no?
>>
>>51646828
>Using hundreds of years old verbal stories adapted by thousands and thousands of people over the years once again to make a new work under copyright is the same as murdering someone to make a specific copyrighted work go public domain

No.

I mean I know you are a troll but Jesus Christ this is just embarrassing. Hell just look at the expiry of the Copyright on "It's a wonderful life" that didn't suddenly make thousands of derivative works of it. All it did was make it available to the public. Sure TV channels profited from it, but you have to be a schizo to suddenly think that suddenly people are going to murder just so a popular work can be distributed without charge on the world wide web.
>>
>>51646919
>"It's a wonderful life"
Google it, I'm seeing several theatre companies benefiting from it just in the past month.
>>
>>51646952
Uh oh, better watch out, those theater productions that barely make pennies might hire a hit-man to kill you since you know their secret.
>>
>>51646919
>you have to be a schizo to suddenly think that suddenly people are going to murder just so a popular work can be distributed without charge on the world wide web.
Without charge != without anyone profiting from it. Besides, a correlation between sociopathic and psychopathic types and high profile business positions has been observed; if you ever heard of Motown, you'd know how dirty the entertainment industry can be.
>>
>>51637572

who needs to justify piracy? we do not have to be politically correct.

so nobody gives a fuck I believe
>>
>>51643495
'desu'?...
>>
File: 1 (1777).jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1 (1777).jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>51647007
"desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu"
>>
>>51647026
when Is jackie 4chan going to fix this. I thought it was just Halloween maymay
>>
>>51647068
Sorry mate, no more roodypoo speak on 4chingchongs.

That's the way it should be though senpai desu.
>>
>>51647109
smack my head to be honest family
>>
Why would I get something for money when I can get the same for free? I buy gaymes sometimes (very rare) for online or convenience but that's about it. I don't have anything against buyfags though, good goys like those allow me get those things without lifting a finger and for free so thanks. It's just a bit sad that most of first world with stable income don't realize how hard money are to come by, nor how little all companies care about anything but profit. Don't buy shit pls, with this you are basically allowing good developers to be slaves of shit managers, and allowing software industry to remain shit.
Also I don't really give a fuck, I just tried to formulate an opinion for sheltered people to see and maybe think *tips*
>>
File: 1381247811841.jpg (180 KB, 800x825) Image search: [Google]
1381247811841.jpg
180 KB, 800x825
Last time I tried to watch a bluray with those unskippable vids I got up and torrented it, downloaded before the fucking movie even started
>>
>>51637572
Simple.
Pirating software that you can't afford and would not have bought is not equal to a lost sale.
My conscience is clear.
>>
>>51637611
>>51637715
>>51637726
>>51637750
>>51637771
/thread

>Opie Safag
>>
>>51644770
so reproductions are piracy?
>>
>>51637572
I don't give a flying fuck.
>>
File: brisby_bedroom_eyes.jpg (38 KB, 712x768) Image search: [Google]
brisby_bedroom_eyes.jpg
38 KB, 712x768
I don't think it should be labeled piracy. What's wrong with the freedom of information? I loan it to my neighbor all the time.

Also, fuck the publisher. Once the artist is dead then I'll pirate the work as much as I feel like.

I boycott Bluray because a majority of them can't ;be decrypted with free software and with dvds it's way easier.

I also pirate if the price isn't that good or I can't find it cheaper.
>>
Plundering ships on the high seas is a serious crime. I would never justify that.
>>
>>51645721
It was 14 years plus 14 more if you choose to extend it. With the original copyright law you also had to apply for copyright protection it wasn't just given to you. The original lengths were perfect but I don't like the opt-in part.
>>
Due to my location, there are things that I can't even buy legally.

For example, when Mr. Robot came out I didn't have a single legal method of watching it, so I pirated it.

I wanted to pay for it, but I couldn't, because businesses don't care about my regional market. And if they don't care, why should I?

One of the only companies that care is Blizzard, they've added local payment methods and even cash payment options, so I don't need to pirate nothing made by them.

Luckily I have to resort to pirating less and less nowadays. Spotify and netflix catched up with the rest of the world and now have a bigger catalog (I still use an US proxy for Netflix tho)
>>
>>51646633
So in other words, you are a tinfoilhat.
>>
>>51648907
>corporations are all so nice guys
>>
File: 1432654697152.jpg (284 KB, 650x500) Image search: [Google]
1432654697152.jpg
284 KB, 650x500
I would not have paid for movies or music anyways. I can watch it on TV, or borrow it from someone/library, listen to music in the radio / on youtube.

I do not steal any SW, then again I also don't use any that you pay for (except for M$ stuff but anyone can get a license from school/work which I do).
>>
>>51648983
What you are talking about has nothing to do with niceness, but more with total tinfoilhat retardation.
Even the most evil corporate shit, on Monsanto level, is facepalming over your idiocy.
>>
>>51639648
The way copyright works is a bit different in every country, the US are probably the most retarded example because due to lobbying they just prolongate it every couple of decades.

Generally speaking, copyright lasts all through the author's life and then a certain amount of years after his death, 70 is generally used in Europe, the US are at over 100 years now.
>>
File: 1421876665538.gif (29 KB, 138x200) Image search: [Google]
1421876665538.gif
29 KB, 138x200
>>51648903
>I wanted to pay for it, but I couldn't, because businesses don't care about my regional market. And if they don't care, why should I?
Pretty much this.

They are not losing out on a sale if they are not selling in the first place.
>>
>>51637572
>engage in robbery, kidnapping, and murder on the high seas
I have not done so, and never plan to do so.

This is a very odd question.
>>
I try to pay for things when I can, but there are times when companies are monopolistic dickheads and make you pay out the ass for no reason

I tried digitally renting a movie a few weeks back but literally nowhere would rent it. They all wanted 20 dollarydoos to buy a digital copy, versus the usual "rental" cost of $3-4. Naturally I found a torrent (I'm not on any private trackers), because fuck that price and fuck driving to a RedBox at 1am. The next morning I got a copyright strike email from my ISP.

Oh and here's the kicker: According to my dad he rented the movie on Amazon a few months ago, so at one point you COULD rent it. I think the movie studio purposely took down the rentals and then started monitoring torrents. Fucking assholes.
>>
>>51649011
The same thing basically happened to George Washington's wife
In his will he said that his slaves could go free as soon as his wife died
Obviously, the slaves didn't take to kindly to her existence after that
>>
>>51649393
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Washington
>"In the state in which they were left by the General, to be free at her death, she did not feel as tho her Life was safe in their Hands, many of whom would be told that it was [in] their interest to get rid of her–She therefore was advised to set them all free at the close of the year.–" (A. A. to Mary Cranch, 21 December 1800)[30]

Holy shit.
>>
>>51637922
This happens wether copyright is 70 years long or not. There are laws for it that don't have to do anything with copyright.
>>
>>51647212
wat is dvd
>>
>Friend buys car at car dealership
>Gives me a copy of the car for free
>Gives everyone a copy of the car for free
>Car dealership makes no profit and goes out of business
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.