[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
question about soundcards. are they worth getting? at what price
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 2046370-a.jpg (21 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
2046370-a.jpg
21 KB, 350x350
question about soundcards.
are they worth getting?
at what price range of sound equipment is it worth getting a sound card?
is it even worth getting one for headphones?

tl;dr are sound cards a meme?
>>
>tl;dr are sound cards a meme?
yes
>>
>>51637193
no
>>
Apple in dum
>>
>>51637302
care to elaborate because a simple "no" doesnt help me at all...
>>
>>51637193
Only get a sound card if your onboard sound dies. Other than that, look for DACs. If you're going for surround sound, you'll buy a receiver. It's not that sound cards are bad it'd just that they're not worth it at higher price ranges. I can't think of any kind of application where you would need one.
>>
Yes, unless you're doing professional sound production, they're a meme.

Gaymen sound cards are 100% a meme.

Today's motherboards come with very adequate solutions. And even AMD has TrueAudio.
>>
Sound card = shitty dac but inside pc so not practical at all.
>>
>>51637193
>are they worth getting?
No, just buy an amp/dac....
>>
I need mine for Dolby digital live and virtual surround sound
>>
>>51637311
I don't know
>>
>>51637193
if you want better sound quality, get an external DAC/amp
>>
>>51637193
No OP but if i use optic cable will the output be 192hz even though graphic card does not support it?
>>
>>51637350
No you don't.
Even midrange mobos come equipped with 10+ channel surround capability

>>51637344
This. Even in a professional studio, you'd be using an external rack mounted soundcard (aka audio interface) connected via firewire/ thunderbolt/ possibly even USB to record/ mix/ master.
>>
If you're going to get a sound system invest in DAC/AMP/Receiver or whatever combo you need. It'll last forever, you don't have the electrical interference cage you call a "computer" tower and you can use it for multiple input sources.
>>
got a soundcard for black friday. one of those sounblaster ones. its made a massive difference to my sound quality compared to my mobo sound.
>>
>>51637543
Op here
Iam a total sound noob and I wanted to get some quality headphones in the 400-500€ price range. Is it worth getting a dac/amp for that sorta thing?
>>
if you needed one you'd know that you do. e.g. live mixing off laptop.
>>
>>51637760
If you need to ask then no.
>>
>>51637193
why are those sound cards in sli?
>>
>>51637845
why?
>>
>>51637872
SLI is an Nvidia marketing term and specially refers to two Nvida cards.
You don't "SLI" sound cards.
>>
File: fgsdfhomer.png (197 KB, 608x464) Image search: [Google]
fgsdfhomer.png
197 KB, 608x464
I'm a headphone guy, so from my perspective, they are just dac+amps in a different form factor. I like the dsps you get with sound cards, like virtual surround sound for movies and games. On the other hand, having analog volume control is superior to digital volume control, as well as more tactile. The used prices for sound cards are ridiculously low though, as most people do assume they are just a meme and can't hold their own against other stuff that has a lot of audiophile marketing. Oh, also it takes up less space since it is all internal.
>>
>>51637193
Don't listen to meme-spouting idiots
You can get a used high-end sound card for $50+
Comparable standalone DACs are $1000+
DACs below that are often worse than onboard and are all defeated by $20 sound cards
>>
>>51637193
>question about soundcards
question about memecards
>>
From what I've read, generally dacs/amps have better sound quality than sound cards but sound cards are cheaper. You can pick up a xonar soundcard for 20 which has an inbuilt amp which will be more than powerful enough for most headphones.

Or you can even get an oem soundblaster z for like 20 more which has the best virtual surround you can get right now (sbx > ddl).
>>
>>51637760

Likely not depending on what you're buying. Your research on the type of headphones you're buying will tell you if you will or won't.
>>
>>51637877
At that price point a headphone amp/DAC is a must. On board sound wouldn't be able to drive 100ohm headphones.
>>
Do I need to get a soundcard if I'm getting a ton of electronic noise?
>>
>>51637510
It doesn't have on the fly compression for optical surround sound
>>
>>51637910
why are they in crossfire?
>>
>>51637391
Can you repeat the question?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.