[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Linux now a piece of shit >Before systemd >Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: antilinux.png (56 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
antilinux.png
56 KB, 250x250
Why is Linux now a piece of shit
>Before systemd
>Linux actually a usable OS
>After systemd
>Windows more usable than Linux
>And *BSD isn't supported on my laptop hardware-wise so I can't use it
>>
It isn't. There is no other kernel that is as flexible and comprehensive as Linux.
>>
I don't think Linux was ever an usable OS, after all, it's just a kernel.
>>
>>51636797
Kernel may not be shit, but distros are shit
>>
>>51636797
the fact that your OS's kernel can be configured to run on a toaster grants it no significant advantage over windows
>>
>>51636744
>bsd isn't supported by my hardware
>not being able to extract the relevant drivers from linux and use them in bsd
gitgud son
>>
>Linux
>OS
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>51636853
I mean Linux DISTROS are shit. Not the LINUX KERNEL ITSELF.
>>
>>51636829
Of course. How do you compare a complete OS with an OS kernel program? Poorly!
>>
>>51636868
but anon, the linux kernel is shit.
>>
>linux is a peace of shit
>windows is shit
>mac is shit

This is a personal opinion. Please stop making these pointless threads.
>>
>>51636843
I don't know kernel programming, so I can't just port Linux drivers to BSD. I wish I did.

Also, the GPL is an issue because the BSDs don't want GPL code in their source tree. Especially with OpenBSD which doesn't support kernel modules.
>>
>>51636899
For you
>>
>>51636891
looks like someone never learned how to read.
>>
>muh ganu/Loonux/UNIX philosophy
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Install Genoo
>>
>>51636914
meh, for personal use license doesn't really matter does it?
>>
>>51636744
>system unusable after systemd memememe
No seriously, what the fuck? It's the most retarded statement I've read here in ages; how the fuck has systemd made your system "unusable"?

Please, we're all dying to know.
>>
>>51636829
Nobody whose job requires them to know what a kernel is uses NT, but most of them use Linux
>>
>>51637019
>we
who's that "we" you speak of, lennart.
>>
>>51637019
He doesn't know.

"something something bloat"
>>
>>51637032
I believe he was using the royal we
>>
>>51637032
The readers of this thread, unless you're implying the only reader of this thread is Lennart and Lennart is trolling himself.
>>
>>51637032
This is exactly the kind of place Leonard Pottering would hang out at and your intuition about this is superb.
>>
>>51637063
>Leonard
Ooh, how posh, how grand, how royal! I see that the "royal we" theory is confirmed!
>>
File: 1411794516426.jpg (68 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1411794516426.jpg
68 KB, 431x450
>>51637078
>>
>>51636797
>what is freebsd
>>
>>51637098
An operating system which kernel doesn't support 50% of what linux does.
>>
Just use Open RC
>>
File: Cirno - Chuckle.jpg (97 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Cirno - Chuckle.jpg
97 KB, 500x500
>>51636744
Then don't use systemd?
>>
What does systemd even change? I've noticed no difference. Why should I care?
>>
>>51637352
then you're a plebby normalfuck who need to go back to windows asap and get off my imageboard

just kidding, I also can't tell the difference
>>
Systemd will be the end of Linux if people don't wise up and start supporting the alternatives. Debian really dropped the ball here. Fuck the police.
>>
File: Slackware_Tux.png.cf.png (28 KB, 220x250) Image search: [Google]
Slackware_Tux.png.cf.png
28 KB, 220x250
Time to use a distro that Just Werkz
>>
>>51637418
Muh minimalism, muh UNIX philosophy
Linux is not your l33t hax00r OS freetard.
>>
>>51636744
why u blame systemd? I don't think systemd is that bad.
>>
File: 1446010647858.jpg (33 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1446010647858.jpg
33 KB, 514x536
>>51637418
>
>>
>>51637521
Came here to say the same thing (although desu systemd is not the end of the universe).
>>
how does systemd effect the usability of linux?
>>
>systemd has anything to do with hardware
>>
>>51636744
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
there are distros without systemd. gentoo for example has openrc by default.
>>
wtf?

systemd jus werks.
much better than most as well.
>>
whats your guys opinion on nixos?

the think with the haskell config for the whole os?
>>
>>51639536
It has little to no effect, the hate comes from extremely vocal autists.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-and-others-on-linuxs-systemd/
>>
>>51640057
>http://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-and-others-on-linuxs-systemd/

You will *never* be able to work your way out of it.

It will forever break *choice* and *compatibility* for your deep system.

Imagine if you were to create a Gnome 3 that was so baked into most distributions - it'd be impossible for you to install a KDE or tiling wm alongside it.

That is why systemd is dangerous.

You are literally buying into to one autistic person's opinionated way and conventions.

Systemd is all or nothing. And the more upstream packages and distros commit to it - the more you'll find that this is permanent, cemented, and you'll never be able to get out.

Hope you enjoy your 2% speed increase.

Hope life works out well for you.
>>
>>51640818
>You will *never* be able to work your way out of it.
People keep saying that, but it's seeming more an more like a conspiracy theory.
The Gnome3 devs are obviously in love with it, but no-one else has any interest in making SystemD a hard dependency.
>>
>>51641000
If systemd is the premier startup, console daemon, login daemon, network daemon, timedate daemon, udev daemon, logging daemon on distributions, what gives you confidence the systems it replaces will ever have the same upstream activity it had before?

I would even go so far as to be concerned that systems like upstart will slowly become dormant projects, since systemd is handling everything.

a lot of distributions picking up the system and using it as a default can have a huge impact. it's not the same as having something in the mainline kernel - but imagine how much time sink each distribution has to go through to get current packages working with systemd

in the future, if someone wanted to improve an aspect of system, the architecture of it makes it difficult. if a superior contender came to the field - he would then have to face the distribution has sunk cost into system. so their solution they devised would have to be compatible with whatever integrations systemd has in that aspect of control

one of the nice things about linux wasn't "freedom" or "open source". it was *choice*. Windows had explorer.exe shell. Linux, even back in 2002, had about 20 window managers. The large desktop environments took hugely different approaches on tooling and methodology
>>
>>51636913
that's just your opinion
>>
>>51639603
iirc systemd devs have spoken about interest in making systemd required just to boot the kernel in order to lower the boot time even more.
>>
>>51637098
an OS that doesn't have drivers for two year old gpu's
>>
>>51641515
Linus would never want that.

He's all about never touching userspace.
>>
>>51641289
Well how did systemd come to reign supreme then? Surely it did *something* better than separate daemons?
>>
>>51641746
I'm not advised as to how the politics went down.

I'd love anyone here to chime in on that.
>>
>>51641837
systemd is 1000 times faster than shitscripts.
>>
>>51636744
So how the hell did an init system affect your computer's usability anyway?

Do you spend all day breaking SysV even further with your own shitty special scripts?
>>
File: 2342613456.jpg (346 KB, 1104x1104) Image search: [Google]
2342613456.jpg
346 KB, 1104x1104
>>51636744
I enjoy reading about this "systemd" which causes so much asspain in the Leenucks "community" even though I know nothing about what it actually is or does. However, I would make a donation to its continued development if I could.
>>
>>51636899
this
>>
Install Gentoo, onii-chan.
Gentoo doesn't come with systemd by default.
>>
>>51641880
I actually like it over openrc. can you donate for me anon <3
>>
>>51636744
what about slackware
>>
>>51642057
What about it? Shitty as fuck distro for ancient old cunts who are too stubborn to know anything about linux after 15 years ago.
>>
Systemd is fucking shit. Init process is needlessly big, binary logs are a step backwards, it's spreading cancer and will force every distro to follow redhat.
Still despite that, I've run it for several years without much trouble, init scripts are a hassle I'm glad to be over with, also alternatives are just as shitty. SystemXVI seems like a good alternative design but the code it's gibberish. I guess I'll have to welcome our RedHat overlords.
>>
File: sW9rzLO.gif (953 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
sW9rzLO.gif
953 KB, 400x250
what
>>
>>51636744
>what is slackware
>what is gentoo
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.