[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tech illiterate here, /g/. I wanted to upgrade my antiquated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: dusty_computer.jpg (496 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
dusty_computer.jpg
496 KB, 1600x1200
Tech illiterate here, /g/.

I wanted to upgrade my antiquated 2008 PC with more RAM, so I bought some generic Kingston RAM, but it doesn't work.

PC doesn't boot with the new RAM only, regardless which slot. W7 says I have 6GB RAM if I put everything together, and the PC does boot, but the RAM isn't working.

MOBO is Abit ip35-e

What do?
>>
>tech support thread
>>
run memtest with as little amount of sticks possible. See what happens there first.
>>
Kingston (2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
>>
>>51636381
did you buy the correct type of ram? Is the timing and speed of the RAM compatible with your MOBO?
>>
>>51636471
I don't know how to check these things. RAM seems generic besides manufacturer. Tech specs on the manufacturer site seem to match.
>>
>>51636457
But if I insert only the new RAM it doesn't go past POST.
>>
>>51636511
Are you trying to mix/match your new ram sticks and old ram sticks by chance?
>>
>>51636548
I tried to mix and boot with only 1 stick of the new RAM, but the PC doesn't POST.
>>
HOLY FUCK WHAT IS WITH ALL OF THESE FUCKING DUMB TECH SUPPORT THREADS THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS? JUST CALL FUCKING GEEKSQUAD YOU WASTE 4CHAN BEGABYTES POSTING THIS STUPID SHIT THAT IS A WASTE OF TIME TRYING TO TROUBLESHOOT REMOTELY.

NO ONE THINKS YOU ARE SMART RESPONDING TO THESE THREADS WITH STUPID FUCKING SUGGESTIONS YOU ARE ALL DUMB
>>
>>51636546

I meant new stick + any other one that can get it to boot
>>
>>51636560
if it won't even post with 1 (one) single stick of the new ram in the 1st ram slot on your MOBO then you're probably outta luck. Try both sticks of the new ram out one at a time to see if one of them is just a bad stick. If neither works and your computer still boots just fine using your old ram then the new ram is likely incompatible with your MOBO or its current settings.

>>51636592
go back to the desktop thread edgelord
>>
>>51636592

>calling things dumb

>can't into turning off caps lock
>>
Got any model numbers on those RAM sticks?
>>
>>51636633
What are my options assuming it's something with the settings? Also, BIOS firmware is from 2007, there's an update from 2008, but the RAM was manufactured in 2014. Should I go for it?
>>51636665
Only >>51636458
>>
>>51636677
What version of the BIOS are you using for that board?
>>
>>51636779
Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
07/19/07
>>
It might not hurt to update your bios. After that, I'd look through the bios to see if you can find any settings regarding RAM / Memory in there, then take a picture of that screen and post it on here.

Even if is just a setting issue preventing you from using your new RAM (either timing, voltage, or clock speed are wrong most likely) then you should be aware that this also means that your old RAM and new RAM require different settings and won't be usable at the same time in your machine.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.